• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 Xbox 360 alpha screens leak (many don't have textures, broken geometry)

Lakitu

st5fu
Map looks quite large from screens but then someone posted the map and it looks small? Probably catered to 360's gimped player count. So I expect next-gen versions will have a larger map for 64 players. Still looks like it could be a visually appealing map though with lots of interiors, multiple vehicles and spawn dropping.

I really hope they've mixed the classes up a bit. Give Recon some more options like C4. Going to analyse them further, see what I can find.

DTKT

Just like cod right? Who always gets a free pass with their yearly releases.

I expect more out of DICE than a zombie studio like Infinity Ward, or any other studio Activision picks to be this year copy-paste factory. DICE made some really ambitious games but stopped at three and it doesn't seem like 4 is going to do anything to change that. It's just a shame that the studio stopped trying new gameplay and is now creating an "improved" version of BF3 every year.

hmm I noticed there appears to be a drop box menu for grenades, wonder if that means we will have different nades at our disposal.

riflen

The trailer was running on a 7970, so you can expect next gen consoles to look similar to that. Maybe slightly worse on Xbox One.

Actually, it was running on 2 x 7990 (4 GPUs) at ~3k resolution. Expect consoles to look exactly nothing like that.

bumclot

f7zT9OXh.jpg

Super Soakers confirmed?

I expect more out of DICE than a zombie studio like Infinity Ward, or any other studio Activision picks to be this year copy-paste factory. DICE made some really ambitious games but stopped at three and it doesn't seem like 4 is going to do anything to change that. It's just a shame that the studio stopped trying new gameplay and is now creating an "improved" version of BF3 every year.

Cant judge by some broken 360 screens. This build could be several months old.

Lakitu

st5fu
-It seems you can use an elevator to get to the top at flag 'b' skyscraper.
-DICE seems to be going for that visual aesthetic from BF 3 where it looks like there's a big battle in the background ala Tehran Highway.
-Kind of obvious and probably already mentioned but it seems console users can access the whole 'speech command' system.
-You can use a spawn beacon to get on rooftops which means more rooftop snipers on this map (unlike some maps where it was not possible in BF 3).
-Seems to have a persistence system similar to BF 3.
-Seems the rent-a-server feature is there.
-Map is called 'Siege'.
-Don't like the U.S. Recon soldier design.

How do you know that they wont try a "new gameplay" or that they realease an "improved" version of BF3 every since the haven't even release A game after BF3?!

Just wait some days, then we will have some "real" footage and info in order to judge them

Tekku

This is the most interesting screenshot in my opinion. It shows a lot of improvements:

1. Everything is present on one screen
2. Clicking a weapon shows its detailed stats
3. Weapons are shown in a long list
4. Pistols have an attachment slot
5. Different grenades can be chosen
6. Different knives can be chosen
7. New soldier models

Also, next to "Assault Rifle" you can see three arrows pointing to the right. Anyone knows what this is for?

AXN7c0x.jpg

Esqueleto

Banned
This is the most interesting screenshot in my opinion. It shows a lot of improvements:

1. Everything is present on one screen
2. Clicking a weapon shows its detailed stats
3. Weapons are shown in a long list
4. Pistols have an attachment slot
5. Different grenades can be chosen
6. Different knives can be chosen
7. New soldier models

Also, next to "Assault Rifle" you can see three arrows pointing to the right. Anyone knows what this is for?

AXN7c0x.jpg
Probably to switch to non class specific guns.

Tookay

UI seems to have less icons flying all over the place, especially in the center of the screen, but I'm sure that is subject to change.

TheD

The Detective
I agree. Things are improving rapidly though. Things are coming, keep the hope up!
BF3 was fun but it wasnt BF, they should have released it as BC3. If they release another BC game after turning the BF series into BC then I quit DICE forever.

Yep,
:D

On Esamir, I get 70-80fps in huge battles. I was like :O when I 1st noticed.

I do not see how you do, I have an SB based i5 running at 4.3Ghz (and a overclocked GTX570) and I can not get any more than 30FPS in big battles (with a 20% reduction in my rendering res!) and even far away from anyone or battle I can only get 70FPS looking up into the sky or down at my feet (with it claiming I am GPU limited!).

I really do not like how DICE are making BF4, BC2 was much more fun and a BC3 would of been awesome.

DTKT

How do you know that they wont try a "new gameplay" or that they realease an "improved" version of BF3 every since the haven't even release A game after BF3?!

Just wait some days, then we will have some "real" footage and info in order to judge them

Well, we have the 17 minutes demo that showed the standard run and shoot gameplay. Baddies placed themselves on the other side of cover and waited to get shot. Cue another hilarious sequence where a transport chopper tries to pick you up while a russian Havoc ATTACK HELICOPTER is circling around. You amputated a leg by pressing "F".

This doesn't fill me with confidence.

You don't have a whole lot of time to really change a game in one year.

Thank fuck for that, I was really hoping DICE were going to clean up a bit of that screen clutter, gets a bit out of hand sometimes in BF3 especially on PC 64 player matches with so much going on.

I may be wrong :/

The gray area around the flag in this shot could be the capture zone, so the player may just be out of range.

Tekku

Some things I noticed from the screenshots:

1. Five soldiers in one squad.
2. "Out of bounds" shows as a dark red area with a red line.
3. Possession of a flag grants 20 points.
4. When a flag is neutral it shows as a circle, and when it's captured it turns into a square.
5. A new IFV vehicle called Buffalo MRAP: http://www.usnews.com/dbimages/master/2224/GR_PR_071112mrap.png
6. Conquest team points are shown next to eachother, rather than on top of eachother.
7. Recon has C4 (might be a placeholder to test destruction).
8. The map is called "Siege" and enables fighting on skyscrapers. One of the capture points were on the top a of a skyscraper.
9. A wierd looking perk bar is shown next to the map. Might be an alpha tool.
10. The on screen circle for capturing a flag is not placed in the middle of the screen but rather moves around depending on your position.
11. Commo rose commands have been moved around slightly. "Need medic" and "Need ammo" have been moved to the top.
12. The mini-map shows the direction of all the flags on the map, and also the deployment base.
13. Passanger icons are shown with a wheel for the driver and turret for the gunner.
14. Deployment screen is a full map that covers the entire screen.
15. A small mini-map on the deployment screen shows the deployment base top down.
16. The "community icons" at the top right are shown on every single screen.
17. Base vehicles are shown as square icons next to eachother (hopefully they can be clicked on PC).
18. Huge missiles are fired into the map one of the screens. They might be controllable?
19. A tutorial window is shown on some screens.

JP

I haven't read the whole thread but has anybody made the joke about this looking exactly the same as Battlefield 3 on the 360 without the HD texture pack yet?

Anybody?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Infinite sprint, random loot drops, specializations, and in-game leveling. Least we still got full maps though...tiny thought they may be.
I can't wait to see how much it costs to outright buy these packs. Or if they pull a TF2/DOTA and make you buy keys to unlock certain packs. At least the Valve games are free though. :(

Awh shiit. They're introducing the same inexplicably stupid unlock system as in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. It's basically the trading card unlock where you buy a pack of random shit that unlocks for you.

I find for me and for others knowing exactly what to do to unlock a specific item is a much better carrot for playing, just look at CoD/BF3. There is never a shadow of a doubt as to what weapon you need kills with or whatever to unlock any one item. The pack of random unlocks is basically saying that you need to find the carrot, not follow it. Not appealing to me in the least.

EDIT: Holy shit the above post is eerily similar to mine.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm gonna unlock stuff the normal way. Guys can be idiots and spend money to get shortcuts but I'll still beat their arse :)

Cool to see. It's also a good example of how game trailers that claim to be 'alpha build footage' are always bullshit. This is what an alpha build looks like.

TCRS

Banned
It's too soon I knew it. It looks exactly like BF3 with updated HUD graphics and new weapons here and there. smh.

Still, day one as with every BF. But give me an option to turn those fucking symbols off that keep hovering in my sight. Please Dice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm gonna unlock stuff the normal way. Guys can be idiots and spend money to get shortcuts but I'll still beat their arse :)
Good for them. I will just play the game and get my stuff that way lol

I'm just worried that the game is going to be more pay 2 win than even BF3 ended up being with the ultimate unlock stuff. As annoying as it is, I can almost accept that starting at level 1 means you aren't allowed to use a reflex scope (for some reason), but now you will have people buying match-based perks and buffs.

I remember the joke was that a game company would start making bullets microtransactions... but this is starting to get close...

Top Bottom