• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 5 retail listing at World of Games (Swiss), "tactical shooter in WW1"

ISOM

None of those play like Battlefield.

Agreed. People seemed to have tired on future fps due to Titanfall and COD but for those who don't play those games. The future is still a very attractive theme for an fps. I don't feel like traveling to the past either.

Oh man, if this really is WW1 I would be so stoked and probably even pre-order. Here I thought I was done with the BF series.

Just realized this in addition to Overwatch and Titanfall 2 later this year, oh lawdy the FPS genre is back baby.

Stiler

Wish they went back to WWII much more diverse in gameplay. WWI was mostly in Trenches.

Have it set in WWII again with new frostbite engine bring back Naval battles with Destroyers, Battleships, Aircraft Careers. And Land stuff too.

I want a 64 man Battle of Midway with new frostbite engine.

drowning in mud.
trench foot leading to an amputation mini game
slowly going insane from the sound of shelling.

etc

Here's some quick videos that give an overview of the entire war year by year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbwH1ZBnYds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSzHDW0IsoE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-b746J2SdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz0Wz-o4dTI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zapbLqZUwrA

Trench warfare was a western front thing. The eastern front never devolved into trench warfare.

There was fighting all over the place, it wasn't just barren rocky wastelands, from grasslands, urban areas, snowy areas, mountains, waterways, etc.

Mahonay

Banned
So...is it pretty safe to guess at this point that DICE will just wait to unveil this at a big E3 conference showcase, along with a beta announcement?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So...is it pretty safe to guess at this point that DICE will just wait to unveil this at a big E3 conference showcase, along with a beta announcement?
Well, they might do something like Titanfall 2 where they have a short teaser, but any meaningful information will wait for E3.

Daft Punk

Banned
When was the last time we got a regular CoD game with today's technology? Even Modern Warfare started to stray off into futuristic craziness by the 3rd game.

Mahonay

Banned
Well, they might do something like Titanfall 2 where they have a short teaser, but any meaningful information will wait for E3.
If DICE really are going back to WWII or doing WWI, they probably won't show their hand so they get that big reaction at the conference.

If they are just sticking with a near-future setting, then I can see an early teaser beforehand.

Wish they went back to WWII much more diverse in gameplay. WWI was mostly in Trenches.

Have it set in WWII again with new frostbite engine bring back Naval battles with Destroyers, Battleships, Aircraft Careers. And Land stuff too.

I want a 64 man Battle of Midway with new frostbite engine.

WW1 was fought, you know, in the whole world. There are places where trenches didn't prevail. In the alps, for instance, was a particularly gruesome warfare, which had even man made avalanches as weapons. In Africa, highly mobile warfare took place between colonial troops and the small force of Letow von Vorbek, which achieve amazing military feats conducting a guerrila like war around there.

Not to mention the eastern front, where the situation never developed towards trenches. There were battles and sieges with 500 thousand men involved. With no trenches whatsoever.

And even in the western front the notion of immobility is a little exaggerated. Off course, for the men in there, who write about it to his family, the boredom and horror must be the tone, but no war videogame known to man focus itself on the boring aspects of war. A WW1 FPS could set its focus on the action: offensives happened all the time, with man going over the top, trying to survive, dodging bullets and invade the other side's trenches.

(If you happen to have access to Netflix, I'd suggest you to check "Our World War". It shows, by the accounts of the men who where there, plenty of action far away from the trenches).

Besides, towards the end of the conflict, the germans were emploing a brand new concept which envolved small assault troops as a way to break the deadlock. This, plus the horror that they've felt with the allies' early tanks led to the concept of Blitzkrieg.

And, heck, even in the western front and all those trenches, some operations consisted in a two or three man groups trying to sneak in the no man's land to gather information. This kind of thing had the tendency to make the whole hell break lose as soon as the other side notice something strange. All of this factors, plus the creative use of new weapons (shotguns where used for the first time in war during WW1).

There are lots of alternatives. The key is big money, big develpment cicle and talented people.

What's left is people who don't know squat about the war saying nonsense.

Shinobi knows stuff, but wont spill the beans :/

I hope something concrete comes out soon.

Jetpack and other future shit IMo wont fit well with 64 players. And who knows if they even still target 64 players.

Battlefield fans will riot if they get rid of 64 player conquest. Also, as much as I would like to see ww1 or ww2 , I just don't think EA will risk setting the multiplayer in that setting. Not sure if it can be a 15-20 million+ seller in those time periods.

Battlefield fans will riot if they get rid of 64 player conquest. Also, as much as I would like to see ww1 or ww2 , I just don't think EA will risk setting the multiplayer in that setting. Not sure if it can be a 15-20 million+ seller in those time periods.

I would be perfectly okay if they drop the player count in order to maintain a solid framerate on consoles. 64 player matches are a clusterfuck, anyway.

shanafan

Shinboi on Twitter (same individual who broke news on COD 2016 being futuristic) tweeted the BF: 1942 theme.

Let's assume this wasn't random.

ZUJFkL6.png

Battlefield 1942 is one of the greatest multiplayer games I've ever played. If they dare to revisit WW2 they have some lofty expectations from me to even consider purchasing it.

1) Naval Warfare exactly like 1942 or even better. That means a return of fully controllable ships. Aircraft Carriers, Battleships, Cruisers, U-Boats, just like in 1942.

2) Bombers that just spawn in like normal fighter planes. None of this "control point C to earn the temporary privilege to use one!" nonsense found in later games for AC-130's.

3) A large variety of factions and vehicles just like in 1942.

But given that current DICE is nothing like 2002 DICE, I have no expectations for a decent WW2 battlefield game anymore.

Simo

Shinboi on Twitter (same individual who broke news on COD 2016 being futuristic) tweeted the BF: 1942 theme.

Let's assume this wasn't random.

ZUJFkL6.png

lol

There was an earlier tweet too before that hinting at the reveal being next Friday.

Battlefield 1942 is one of the greatest multiplayer games I've ever played. If they dare to revisit WW2 they have some lofty expectations from me to even consider purchasing it.

1) Naval Warfare exactly like 1942 or even better. That means a return of fully controllable ships. Aircraft Carriers, Battleships, Cruisers, U-Boats, just like in 1942.

2) Bombers that just spawn in like normal fighter planes. None of this "control point C to earn the temporary privilege to use one!" nonsense found in later games for AC-130's.

3) A large variety of factions and vehicles just like in 1942.

But given that current DICE is nothing like 2002 DICE, I have no expectations for a decent WW2 battlefield game anymore.

This is what needs to happen. Man do I miss the Desert Combat mod.........

Top Bottom