• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam |OT|

TheSeks said:
You so obviously haven't done out-of-bounds antics like Faceless and I have done in numerous games, then.

Yeah I'm sure there are ways to dance around and play with it, but I just think its lame either way. I don't wan't to play around with borders at least with infantry. Either make it so I can't go there or not. Or even better just widen some of the areas.

But whatever. To each his own.

Stoney Mason said:
Yeah I'm sure there are ways to dance around and play with it, but I just think its lame either way. I don't wan't to play around with borders. Either make it so I can't go there or not.

But whatever. To each his own.
natural borders would be more work and a problem because the map boundaries are different depending on mode. plus, they would stop all the awesome 10 second abuse shenanigans.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
ProudClod said:
So, yeah, I was right. The game crashed as soon as a map finished loading :'( Any recommendations for a budget card/processor to run this baby?
Depending on how much money you want to spend and how future proof you want to be, you may want to try a cheap graphics card first. I can get 30fps at 720p with a C2D 2.1Ghz and a GT130M with a mix of low and medium settings, so you probably aren't far from that other than you probably lack enough graphics memory.

Something like this might get you playing at 720p at medium for $60 shipped without needing a new power supply (hopefully).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133356
You won't be close to maxing the game out even if you had a quad core behind it
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gt-430-review/9
but it should easily be playable.

iam220

poppabk said:
Depending on how much money you want to spend and how future proof you want to be, you may want to try a cheap graphics card first. I can get 30fps at 720p with a C2D 2.1Ghz and a GT130M with a mix of low and medium settings, so you probably aren't far from that other than you probably lack enough graphics memory.

Something like this might get you playing at 720p at medium for $60 shipped without needing a new power supply (hopefully).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133356
You won't be close to maxing the game out even if you had a quad core behind it
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gt-430-review/9
but it should easily be playable.

Not worth it IMO, your c2d is quite a bit better than a 4000+ (I used to own a 4200+). This game is very cpu dependent , especially with the full 32 players, best case scenario is averaging mid-20's fps, that's regardless of the graphics card used.

It's the most annoying part of pc gaming. They switch up the sockets on cpu's so often that after so many years your only upgrade path is a complete replacement of all your core parts.

poppabk

iam220 said:
Not worth it IMO, your c2d is quite a bit better than a 4000+ (I used to own a 4200+). This game is very cpu dependent , especially with the full 32 players, best case scenario is averaging mid-20's fps, that's regardless of the graphics card used.

It's the most annoying part of pc gaming. They switch up the sockets on cpu's so often that after so many years your only upgrade path is a complete replacement of all your core parts.
Yeah, I didn't realize that the 4000+ was so weak. Although I am now considering picking up the GT430 for myself to go in my HTPC to replace a 210.

1-D_FTW

iam220 said:
Yes, there are unlocks which are shared with bc2. So if you already unlocked everything in bc2, you'll have it in vietnam as well.

The person who first came up with this crap needs a permanent ban from game design. Make him head engineer at the Gold Star Sticker for Children factory.

Yes, give the people who've played the longest and have the best feel for the game even more advantages over the noobs. The scope he's killing you with? Go grind for a month and you too can torment the noobs. Such incredibly flawed and idiotic design.

Christ I forgot why I hate PC gaming so much.

I keep getting kicked from games saying PunkBuster kicked me because I dont have a certain file that I need. I just bought Bad Company 2 and Vietnam together and it installed Punkbuster with no errors. I have no idea what I did or what I need to do.

Dont mean to make this an anti-PC diatribe but I just don't understand how anyone who has a full time job has any time for this bullshit. There's always something that requires tweaking or downloading or installing drivers. I can't even play a game until I sort it out whereas if I bought the expansion for my 360 copy I'd be playing now instead of typing this out.

Any ideas on where to start so I dont have to take even longer?

TheLegendary said:

I keep getting kicked from games saying PunkBuster kicked me because I dont have a certain file that I need. I just bought Bad Company 2 and Vietnam together and it installed Punkbuster with no errors. I have no idea what I did or what I need to do.

Dont mean to make this an anti-PC diatribe but I just don't understand how anyone who has a full time job has any time for this bullshit. There's always something that requires tweaking or downloading or installing drivers. I can't even play a game until I sort it out whereas if I bought the expansion for my 360 copy I'd be playing now instead of typing this out.

It's been happening to me too, some matches will kick me out, but some matches will run fine. I manually downloaded the punkbuster updater and added BFBC2 to its list. Seems to run so far...

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
TheLegendary said:

Sounds like you should run pbsetup (http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php)

poppabk

TheLegendary said:

go to
http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php
download, run, add BC2 to games list, update etc.
Punkbuster update sucks, if you ever get kicked repeatedly from different servers by punkbuster then go to this address and perform a new punkbuster install/update.
Every now and then you may get kicked from a server if your network connection goes screwy, but repeatedly from different servers probably means a new punkbuster update.

Coldsnap

Sorta hard to see enemies in this game due to the film grain effect and the washed out colors, so far my best strategy is to keep still and kill everyone who chooses to move.

Coldsnap said:
Sorta hard to see enemies in this game due to the film grain effect and the washed out colors.

Same, I was playing around with the brightness/contrast but it didn't make much difference. I wouldn't mind, but it doesn't seem like anyone has a tough time seeing me :lol

iam220

1-D_FTW said:
The person who first came up with this crap needs a permanent ban from game design. Make him head engineer at the Gold Star Sticker for Children factory.

Yes, give the people who've played the longest and have the best feel for the game even more advantages over the noobs. The scope he's killing you with? Go grind for a month and you too can torment the noobs. Such incredibly flawed and idiotic design.

:lol :lol

You're going to be at a pretty big disadvantage until you hit like level 18 (?) when magnum ammo finally unlocks. I got bc2 Day1 so it didn't really effect me that much but I feel for you.

Razor210

iam220 said:

You're going to be at a pretty big disadvantage until you hit like level 18 (?) when magnum ammo finally unlocks. I got bc2 Day1 so it didn't really effect me that much but I feel for you.
I got BC2 a couple months after it came out - yeah, I had to deal with the lack of pretty much everything too :lol

1stStrike

Banned
Holy fuck, publish vietnam on the PS3 already. Don't say you're going to publish something on day x and then release it at 10 o'clock at night

n0n44m

iam220 said:

the worst part is I did all that shit months ago ! ... on motherfucking PS3 :(

now I start all the way back at lvl 1 on PC :/ hopped out my broken tank to fix it, didn't even have a fucking wrench lol

I'll just grind in 'nam where all the guns are unlocked :D

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
1stStrike said:
Holy fuck, publish vietnam on the PS3 already. Don't say you're going to publish something on day x and then release it at 10 o'clock at night

PSN Monkey is busy golfing.

monkey_middle_finger_20100104_1363225097.jpg

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm about to go gorillas in the mist on that motherfucker.

Confidence Man said:
That map is great. Lots of buildings, lots of flanking routes around the points. That and Oasis are the best maps for straight infantry.

I love running in and out of the houses. People who just play recon only must hate it though since it's so hard to snipe on this map. It's one of my favorites actually.

xclaw

1stStrike said:

u-mad.jpg

Common PSN.... this is a joke.

REV 09

Played 3/4 (5) maps. I would rank them:
Phu Bai- classic BF2. Good stuff.
Hill 3something- not keen on the first part but I like the scorched section.
Vantage Point- this map sucks, first choke point is abysmal.

Weapons and gameplay changes are nice. The maps seem to be holding things back though. Hopefully the last map and unlockable map are good. Phu Bai is great though.

Did I miss anything?

GAF Bad Company 2/Vietnam Quickstart Guide!

1. Install Bad Company 2
  2. Download, install and update Punkbuster using PBSetup
  3. Download, install, and use the GAF Mumble server when playing Bad Company
  4. Download, install, and configure Bad Company options using Evil Mind's Configurator. NOTE: I think you need to launch the game prior to using this, so the config paths are built
  5. Join the Steam GAF Bad Company 2 group
  6. Read the GAF War Advices in the Bad Company 2 OT
  7. Start collecting ears for your necklace!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I bought the game two minutes after it went up... full games already. :D
Played one match :
- The damage has been increased its easier to kill people now.
- The maps are beautiful.
- Love the 'Nam' feeling.

REV 09 said:
Played 3/4 (5) maps. I would rank them:
Phu Bai- classic BF2. Good stuff.
Hill 3something- not keen on the first part but I like the scorched section.
Vantage Point- this map sucks, first choke point is abysmal.

Weapons and gameplay changes are nice. The maps seem to be holding things back though. Hopefully the last map and unlockable map are good. Phu Bai is great though.

This is my perspective which is mainly a conquest perspective. Don't really like rush.

Cao Son Temple: Garbage. It's really one big chokepoint.
Vantage Choice. Another big chokepoint at the middle base. At first it looks impressively big but then the black area going up or coming down that hill is so large it effectively creates a big stalemate.
Hill 137: Okay I guess. It's not a classic by an means but its average for conquest.
Phu Bai Valley: Good conquest map. Lots of ability to flank and move around freely. Really the only great one imo for the mode.

I hope that fifth map is good.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not really liking Rush on this expansion. The killspeed makes it really hard for attackers to get anywhere with the choke points.

I'm watching TV for an hour and then I'll be back to give it some more time. But that's just my first impression. The lag isn't helping when I know I hit a dude five times burst firing only to be hit twice and die with my attitude toward the killspeed any.

DuckRacer said:
o how many maps are available in Rush? Are they any good?

ITT: Duckracer doesn't read the whole OP.

Top Bottom