• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam |OT|

DuckRacer

TheSeks said:
ITT: Duckracer doesn't read the whole OP.
Yeah sorry about that thanks for the answer.
emot-downs.gif

Max

I am not Max
Mr. Snrub said:
Did I miss anything?

GAF Bad Company 2/Vietnam Quickstart Guide!

1. Install Bad Company 2
  2. Download, install and update Punkbuster using PBSetup
  3. Download, install, and use the GAF Mumble server when playing Bad Company
  4. Download, install, and configure Bad Company options using Evil Mind's Configurator. NOTE: I think you need to launch the game prior to using this, so the config paths are built
  5. Join the Steam GAF Bad Company 2 group
  6. Read the GAF War Advices in the Bad Company 2 OT
  7. Start collecting ears for your necklace!
Joined the group. And thanks for listing that configurator, had no idea about that.

Edit: how come turning off the mouse acceleration makes the sensitivity 0 in-game even though I have specific settings in the program? o.o

Game probably just isn't for me. I'll stick to the regular bad company 2 which I enjoy a lot more. Not a fan of the maps and the no motion mine thing makes it a lot more campy than I like compared to the original.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Still not liking the kill speed on these maps.

And no trophy unlocks for winning the four maps yet. WTF, DICE. :|

jlevel13

Darkness said:
Not really liking the maps much so far. Choke points and people being super easy to kill sucks.

choke points / stalemates are bad (in a few places). Maybe they can update the maps (like Valve does with TF2 when there are clearly issues). I'm not sure of people being easier to kill - feels about the same to me. On the other hand, I don't like having to put a ton of bullets into somebody to take them out, so that would be a change I'd welcome (if it's in there).

Bought on PS3. Game is awesome. The guns feel great, it's easier to kill enemies, the maps are fun, and the Vietnam "feel" is cool.

Mr. Snrub said:
Did I miss anything?

GAF Bad Company 2/Vietnam Quickstart Guide!

1. Install Bad Company 2
  2. Download, install and update Punkbuster using PBSetup
  3. Download, install, and use the GAF Mumble server when playing Bad Company
  4. Download, install, and configure Bad Company options using Evil Mind's Configurator. NOTE: I think you need to launch the game prior to using this, so the config paths are built
  5. Join the Steam GAF Bad Company 2 group
  6. Read the GAF War Advices in the Bad Company 2 OT
  7. Start collecting ears for your necklace!
i made gif overview of the configuratior a while back, you may use it if you like

bfbc2_configuratorzqc8.gif

Calion

Couple of things: (PS3)

- I like how instead of saying "Epic Fail" when you commit suicide, it says "FUBAR". :lol
- I pretty much enjoy all the maps so far, especially Hill 137. The scenery with the second set of M-COMs is astounding.
- I've already gotten used to the damage change. It seems appropriate.
- Loving the fact that you can take down Helis with any standard firearm now. I already have taken down one. :lol

Thanks for the help with my PunkBuster issues before guys. Seems to be fixed for now.

Does GAF have a Vietnam server? Or a vanilla BC2 server for that matter?

Edit:

Also...any way to get Dolby Digital or DTS running with this game? I have my PC hooked up through an optical cable. You really lose out on the great sound of this game when its only stereo

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Calion82v said:
Couple of things: (PS3)

- I like how instead of saying "Epic Fail" when you commit suicide, it says "FUBAR". :lol
- I pretty much enjoy all the maps so far, especially Hill 137. The scenery with the second set of M-COMs is astounding.
- I've already gotten used to the damage change. It seems appropriate.
- Loving the fact that you can take down Helis with any standard firearm now. I already have taken down one. :lol

Killed the huey 3x in one round... twice with the AK47 and the last time I shot it down with my pistol.

:lol Didn't seem right. Pilot must have been pissed.

Every time I get in the bird I lose it under a minute. They are death traps right now.

I don't remember the name of the map... but it begins basically right on top of the defender's crates and you have to get out of a rocky river valley, up onto the road. It's fucking spawn genocide almost every time. We were never caught in it, but what we did to the other team any time they were attacking was just wrong. I felt bad for them. Unless you get out of that area as soon as the round starts, you're team is done.

TheSeks

Yep, we cleared them out so hard, I got "Can I Go Home Now?" off it. :lol

Only vehicle I have to get a kill in left is the Jeep. And then it's a matter of 50 kills or so in each of the vehicles. Oh boy at the helicopter kills.

olimpia84

Game has been fun so far although I get the feeling that the levels will get old really fast despite them being big for the most part.

Excellent games with PS3 GAF, we won every single match that we played (around 12 until I quit) and my squad got Gold Squad in probably 10 out of those 12 matches :D
Best win came while playing as Attackers and we managed to blow up the MCOM with 1 ticket left...our streak almost ended right there :D

I haven't played BC2 in awhile so I don't know if it's a Vietnam problem or not. But I can't seem to get into any games, I start a match and it just keeps on loading and loading. Sometimes I can hear the match going on while it's loading, still nothing happens . So annoying after waiting for the PSN store to finally update and then this crap starts..

Dynamic3

Enjoyed the PS3 domination.

Does anyone else notice the significant amount of time it takes for a vehicle to explode after it's health hits 0? Way too much time to bailout imo.

Psykotik

AleeN634 said:
Oh man, Hill 137 in Rush is so epic when it opens up to the totally destroyed hillside. :D

i was literally in awe when that happened. seriously epic the first time playing as attackers on that map.

olimpia84

Dynamic3 said:
Enjoyed the PS3 domination.

Does anyone else notice the significant amount of time it takes for a vehicle to explode after it's health hits 0? Way too much time to bailout imo.

Yeah I noticed that and I thought it was a bug at first.

For the folks talking about damage changing... does this mean I don't have to run Hardcore anymore?

edit: nevermind, just played a match. Back to hardcore.

1stStrike

Banned
I mostly played like shit, but that's to be expected with as rusty as I am. My aim is way the fuck off :lol

Thoughts so far:

- Vantage Point is my least favorite map. That choke point with anyone but gaffers is fucking shitty.

- The guns "feel" great. Especially the machine guns on the boat and tank.

- Maps are a lot of fun - I really like the change and the departure from scopes to jungle and iron sights.

- Tanks are weak

- As mentioned before, the helicopters are useless right now since they're so easy to shoot down

- I'm loving the engineer - raping with the uzi and RPG-7 combo.

Overall, it's really fun and definitely a steal for $15. The only problem is that most teams are just no match against the GAF crew. We filled up an entire team and just wrecked them - it was only that one map where they put up any real resistance against us. I was having problems finding people to kill sometimes because they were dying so fast.

If we could get some teams that could actually stand up to us then it'd be a lot more fun.

TheSeks

5 Kills
1 Death (SMH RAZOR STEALING MY FUCKING GUNNER AS I GO TO ARM. GEE THANKS PUTTING ME IN ENEMY TERRITORY)

Ace pin from that. At least I get the trophy for that. Hoorah. Now I can go back to dying because the killspeed on this expansion sucks.

olimpia84

1stStrike said:
If we could get some teams that could actually stand up to us then it'd be a lot more fun.

We actually faced a very tough level 50 clan last night while playing Conquest on BC2. We managed to win 4 and lost 2 and it was very fun because it was actually a 'real' challenge.

Jtrizzy

I really really think we should get rid of the gaf clan tags on PS3. It's obviously scaring people off, so then we get to the point where its 10 on 2. Then, even if people join they are just going to back out as soon as they see ten guys with the GAF clan tags.

I will say knucklesandwich was a true warrior tonight. He was on the other team all night it seemed.

Massa

Meh, game is not fun when the other team has half the players.

It's also not fun even when it's 12 vs 12 and I'm not on the GAF team. :lol

olimpia84

Jtrizzy said:
I really really think we should get rid of the gaf clan tags on PS3. It's obviously scaring people off, so then we get to the point where its 10 on 2. Then, even if people join they are just going to back out as soon as they see ten guys with the GAF clan tags.

^ Impossible dude, we gotta represent!

hylje

1stStrike said:
- As mentioned before, the helicopters are useless right now since they're so easy to shoot down

Can't really agree on this. Offense devastated defense and their morale couple rounds now on Phu Bai Valley. Good pilot, 2 good gunners and 2 engineers constantly repairing it (when pilot stops moving the chopper it can be almost instantly repaired). On last set of coms it's rather unbalanced when the second helicopter spawns and you have 2 of these in the air.
I remember in a short run the gunners getting 44/0, 28/1 and engineers getting +3000 points just for repairs. Those machineguns demolish people almost instantly and has little dispersion.

demolitio

It's a damn shame they haven't fixed all the joystick issues that have been there since release on PC. I tried every fix in the book and it never works the way it should. I only had the pitch working on my joystick so I was using both that and the keyboard and I still managed to not get shot down once and we ended up winning the match (Rush).

I only had a few kills since the missiles are still incredibly weak, but my gunners stayed in the whole time and laid waste to everything down below. They still didn't get too many kills since you need to move too fast to really even kill guys down below, but they got a lot of assists. :lol

1stStrike

Banned
hylje said:
Can't really agree on this. Offense devastated defense and their morale couple rounds now on Phu Bai Valley. Good pilot, 2 good gunners and 2 engineers constantly repairing it (when pilot stops moving the chopper it can be almost instantly repaired). On last set of coms it's rather unbalanced when the second helicopter spawns and you have 2 of these in the air.
I remember in a short run the gunners getting 44/0, 28/1 and engineers getting +3000 points just for repairs. Those machineguns demolish people almost instantly and has little dispersion.

Yeah, if you don't have the entire team shooting at you - any time they brought a helicopter against us it barely got off the ground for more then 30 seconds.

Vantage Point's attackers 1st base is absolutely a spawn camping festival. If you don't take the first crates immediately, the defenders get the high ground and just shoot fish in a barrel. Really now, you can't tell me that extreme spawn camping didn't occur during playtesting.

Jtrizzy said:

If i'm not playing in a clan at the time and just playing with randoms, I will drop 100% of the time if I see the entire other team is in a clan. No matter who it is.

TheSeks

Jtrizzy said:
I will say knucklesandwich was a true warrior tonight. He was on the other team all night it seemed.

That bastard sniped me on Hill 113 off the jeep gunner. You revive me (SMH), and I get SNIPED AGAIN. >:|

Dude was sniping me all night as I kept gunning his ass down. Argh.

And it's "knukllSandwich" I keep reading it as "Canuckle Sandwhich," however.

hylje

1stStrike said:
Yeah, if you don't have the entire team shooting at you - any time they brought a helicopter against us it barely got off the ground for more then 30 seconds.

Might be good idea to hold on the ground for that 30 seconds until rest of the team is giving it's own attention on the defenders.
But you have a point there. I guess it's the way Dice figured on the balance about the chopper.

Oh and in other topic/bug, if your friend is on other team and manage to get the team switch - you can revive him as the enemy member! (okay, it only happened once so far but was funny as hell)

Jtrizzy

OldJadedGamer said:
If i'm not playing in a clan at the time and just playing with randoms, I will drop 100% of the time if I see the entire other team is in a clan. No matter who it is.
Exactly. I do the same. Seks that wasn't me that revived you, but I hate it when that happens. I never play medic personally.

Razor210

TheSeks said:
5 Kills
1 Death (SMH RAZOR STEALING MY FUCKING GUNNER AS I GO TO ARM. GEE THANKS PUTTING ME IN ENEMY TERRITORY)
Wait, what did I do?

My observations:

Vantage Point First Set - this is so slanted towards defenders its not even funny. There's only two real routes to the MCOMMs, and if you have a bunch of defenders reviving (I'm looking at myself and Olimpia), then gg to the offense.

Other than that, the maps are solid. I particularly like how weapons feel lethal now, and not the crappy hit detection in BC2.

Also, the tank with the slower rate of fire machine gun needs a buff for its gunner. It's weaker than regular weapons.

Finally, helis need more health.

TheSeks

Razor210 said:
Wait, what did I do?

*tank goes to B, I'm SMH other GAF person putting us in enemy territory when I'm going for kills*

(B isn't armed)

"I'll just get out and arm it."

(Does so)

BEEP BEEP BEEP OBJECTIVE B HAS BEEN ARMED

"Time to book it back to the tank and hold it."

(Do--oh wait, no I don't)

"WTF, Razor spawned in the tank. SMH."

TheSeks <GunIDon'tRemember> LOLDIEARMERBECAUSEYOURTEAMMATESTOLETHETANK

Also, the tank with the slower rate of fire machine gun needs a buff for its gunner. It's weaker than regular weapons.

"My M48 Stats"
Kills: 3
"My T-54 Stats"
Kills: 4
Roadkills: 1

If the stats were working, I'd probably have about 10 each on them. And that's just within hours of play. I say "LOL NO" and "YOU SUCK AT GUNNING" in that case. Because the gunner when placed right is DEADLY. I don't even need V Warhead to mow down half the enemy in the tank.

I really wish the flamethrower in the tank AND infantry had more range and set/destruction the cover of the enemy. It would be more useful than a gimmick defense circle flaming thingy.

Finally, helis need more health.

Why, so they can circle strafe like BC2? No thanks. Small arms fire taking them down with no anti-air options is more than enough. You just need a good pilot and a defense that doesn't know what's up.

abuC

Game of the night, we were down to 1 ticket after the crate was armed, Seks drives his tank right up to the crate and lets the flamethrower light some people up while his gunner sweeps up the rest. We had 1 ticket for about 20 seconds, I heard someone say "Nobody better die" as he said that one of our teammates ran by on fire :lol The GAF machine ended up winning that game, about 5 people died as soon as the crate exploded too.

We should load up the helicopters, the pilot should have armor selected and two engineers in the slots behind the gunners. We had the helicopter up for awhile, I think it was dantheman flying and I was repairing it in flight. It took a lucky rocket to take us down, the gunfire wasn't doing it and that was with just one engineer repairing.

I like it, but since it's so much easier to kill people they should increase the ticket count.

TheSeks

abuC said:
Game of the night, we were down to 1 ticket after the crate was armed, Seks drives his tank right up to the crate and lets the flamethrower light some people up while his gunner sweeps up the rest. We had 1 ticket for about 20 seconds, I heard someone say "Nobody better die" as he said that one of our teammates ran by on fire :lol The GAF machine ended up winning that game, about 5 people died as soon as the crate exploded too.

If I remember that round right, I had that tank up for that second (1 ticket left) set AND all the way to nearly the end set of the final on Hill 113.

They were so pissed by me getting that last crate, they decided to go on a mission to RPG the hell out of my tank as I kept repairing it and backing it up (so slow. :/) to do that. I kept that tank up, and I felt good holding that crate. I was all "FUCK YEAH! *fist pump in air*" as it fell. :lol

Razor210

TheSeks said:
*tank goes to B, I'm SMH other GAF person putting us in enemy territory when I'm going for kills*

(B isn't armed)

"I'll just get out and arm it."

(Does so)

BEEP BEEP BEEP OBJECTIVE B HAS BEEN ARMED

"Time to book it back to the tank and hold it."

(Do--oh wait, no I don't)

"WTF, Razor spawned in the tank. SMH."

TheSeks <GunIDon'tRemember> LOLDIEARMERBECAUSEYOURTEAMMATESTOLETHETANK
I was in the tank the whole time. I was actually about to get out and arm, and then I saw you do it, so I was all "ok, we're good" and we still won, so your sacrifice was not in vain
"My M48 Stats"
Kills: 3
"My T-54 Stats"
Kills: 4
Roadkills: 1

If the stats were working, I'd probably have about 10 each on them. And that's just within hours of play. I say "LOL NO" and "YOU SUCK AT GUNNING" in that case. Because the gunner when placed right is DEADLY. I don't even need V Warhead to mow down half the enemy in the tank.
When I'm getting 8-9 hit markers on one person, let me take out my machine gun and put it on top of the tank. I'd be more effective that way.

I really wish the flamethrower in the tank AND infantry had more range and set/destruction the cover of the enemy. It would be more useful than a gimmick defense circle flaming thingy.
Yeah, its kinda gimmicky at the moment, but at choke points, its practically trolling. Flames in your face don't let you see anything.

Why, so they can circle strafe like BC2? No thanks. Small arms fire taking them down with no anti-air options is more than enough. You just need a good pilot and a defense that doesn't know what's up.
Honestly, vehicles seem kinda useless to me. The heli is a gimmick, tanks are way less effective than in BC2, and the maps are geared towards infantry. Let the offense actually use their machinery properly

abuC said:
All I could think was "NOBODY RUN OUT AND TRY TO BE A HERO" :lol

abuC

TheSeks said:
If I remember that round right, I had that tank up for that second (1 ticket left) set AND all the way to nearly the end set of the final on Hill 113.

They were so pissed by me getting that last crate, they decided to go on a mission to RPG the hell out of my tank as I kept repairing it and backing it up (so slow. :/) to do that. I kept that tank up, and I felt good holding that crate. I was all "FUCK YEAH! *fist pump in air*" as it fell. :lol
:lol

If you didn't do that we definitely would have lost, nobody was going to run up on the fire breathing tank. I think flight of the Valkyries was playing while you were sitting near the crate too.

Rush

Phu Bai Valley: pretty good rush map. getting the first ... is it B? the closest crate.. can be tricky.

Cao San Temple: pretty good rush map. on the 2nd set GET B FIRST! the boats are fun!

Hill 137: pretty good rush map. damn, almost everyone was using flamethrowers on this map.

Vantage Point: what. the. fuck. unless you're on a super team attacking, good luck getting past the first base. alternatively, easy win on defense. just medic train the choke points. seriously, this is the anti-White Pass 1.0

Conquest

Phu Bai Valley: Gem Mint 10. so. much. fun!!! i've noticed people have already devised a strategy to counter choppers. just sit in the spawn in the gunner's seat of a tank. you can easily take out a chopper unless it comes close to you.

Hill 137: pretty fun! the V shape is something different,

Cao San Temple: decent overall. the boats are fun! seriously, just riding along the coastline and gunning people down is hilarious.

Vantage Point: okay, here's my strategy. 9 people run to Bravo, 2 people get the Tank, 1 person cap the flag near your base. do this or suffer! got this 4x on the rotation and it ended in us spawn camping the other team with both tanks every time. it's quite hilarious that the tank spawns at the base near the enemy spawn when the opposing team has it. no other map does this.

to recap, Vantage Point sucks. the others are good or great.
\
oh and whoever said the M40 is sick. DAMN! it's got power like the pre-patch M95.

TheSeks

Razor210 said:
When I'm getting 8-9 hit markers on one person, let me take out my machine gun and put it on top of the tank. I'd be more effective that way.

Then you're playing in lag. I haven't had such issues with the vehicle. 2-5 hits max and they're dead. And I don't have V Warhead equipped. Maybe V Reload for Cool down or V FLAMES for the gimmick flamethrower on the tank to troll people trying to C4 me. But that's it.

Yeah, its kinda gimmicky at the moment, but at choke points, its practically trolling. Flames in your face don't let you see anything.

You want pure trolling? Get a defense that doesn't know what they're doing, be the only person in one of the boats. Get forward gunner and a good far position away from the action. Defense that doesn't know you're there? Mowed down in seconds.

I still say the gunners on the vehicles are more than fine. But that's probably because I play gunner/driver in vehicles for 200 hours now to where even if they nerfed it I know what to do in most situations/dangers with it.

Let the offense actually use their machinery properly

Which I did. When not driven by pure idiots and they stay back/provide cover for people to move, they're useful.

Hell, we're probably the only team that kept the helicopter up in the game these past few hours. V armor, don't knock it.

AbuC said:
If you didn't do that we definitely would have lost, nobody was going to run up on the fire breathing tank. I think flight of the Valkyries was playing while you were sitting near the crate too.

:D dun-da-dun-dun-DA-DUN-DUN-DAH-DAH-DUN-DUNNNNN :lol

What's funny is, like I said: The flamethrower is a gimmick on the tank. If they actually had sneaking ability, they probably could've C4'ed me before I noticed and took them out.

7 Ace pins tonight :D

No one seems to be using the AT-mines at the moment, which makes GAFers driving over them much easier tonight :D

The syringe revives.......too fast(?). Not that I would complain about that, but I honestly no longer need to aim to revive someone.

Still not going to look forward to gold staring sniper rifles, but i'll deal.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh yeah, during that 1 ticket escapade Wess was on my team going all "HEAL ME, HEAL ME" because... he was on fire :lol

Luckily, I had gone medic with all the upgrades so I tossed out a health kit and we were good :D

Dreamgazer said:
7 Ace pins tonight :D

No one seems to be using the AT-mines at the moment, which makes GAFers driving over them much easier tonight :D

The syringe revives.......too fast(?). Not that I would complain about that, but I honestly no longer need to aim to revive someone.

Still not going to look forward to gold staring sniper rifles, but i'll deal.

God damn you. I would avoid the entire enemy team, and then get shot in the back by you.

Top Bottom