• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield: Hardline Gameplay Trailer leaked [Up: 6 month old build]

Whenever you complain about a CG trailer...
Whenever you complain about devs/pubs not being open enough with their information...
Whenever you see a super highly edited trailer that doesn't look like the final product...

Remember this thread. I'm sorry but how dumb do you have to be to think a video that says do not distribute and constantly refers to the game using its codename is completely representative of the final product? I swear this is a perfect example of why we get spoon fed bullshit all the time. Because apparently people bloody need it. And if a thread on GAF looks like this I can't imagine what the rest of the world will think. Sucks for EA.

That being said the concepts they talked about in the video got me very interested.

Quoted for truth.

We don't know if it'll be 64 players. 16 vs 16 would make more sense to me.

Well one of the modes leaked in the code was called Turf Wars, it had the small(24p) and large(64p) variation used for Conquest and Carrier assault in Bf4.
There's no way at least one of these game modes doesn't have 64p after how hard EA pushed it last year.

Bizazedo

Seriously, is this how you people argue? Putting hyperbolic statements in other people's mouths? Where did I even imply any of those examples?

Also, do you hear yourself? "Even if it's fixed now, it took months", how isn't this wrong? And why would any self-respecting customer not have the right to refuse to buy or at least be highly skeptical about a company who lets products out in such condition?
You didn't grasp what I meant and that's okay. I didn't say it wasn't wrong. I said it was a great reason to not buy it on Day 1 and to see if, y'know, they learned your lesson. Which, amusingly, despite you calling my statements hyperbolic....you seem to then go on and not even allow the possibility that that WON'T happen this time.

That's why I said good way to handle it versus a bad way to handle it.

The fact a portion of DICE Sweden's workforce now works with Visceral in BF:H is precisely why people are skeptical. No one said it was Visceral's fault. Where did I say that? Again, you people are just saying what you want to hear in order to rationalize your own decisions. You can buy the game for all your family and friends for all I care.

What are you even talking about? What does that have to do with me saying it's wise to not buy it day one and to see what happens?

And yes, if you blame the people of Visceral, you're saying they'll do the same thing. Which they might, admittedly.

Don't act like you're not slinging mud at Visceral for DICE's screw-up, though.

And (again), I didn't say move them all to Sweden. You said they were a different studio, I said that a chunk of the DICE studio is now part of Visceral; to think this has no effect on the game is gullible at best.

It's also assumptive as hell to think the people responsible for BF's problems are with Visceral, no?

Again, and not that you'll read this, but it's smart to wait and make sure this title actually friggin works when it's released.

Fbh

Looks awesome, IMO. And with Visceral in charge the single player might actually be half decent

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Is it just me or does this guy from the trailer look EXACTLY like Reggie (Delsin's brother) from Infamous Second Son? I mean it's identical. He even sounds like him.

tumblr_n6agzpjlL81r0kz1fo1_500.png

I'm pretty sure it's him.

udiie

im impressed. although subject matter seems a little tasteless considering the shit going on south of the states.
the multiplayer modes sound rock solid though and basically what ive been waiting for in a shooter. hopefully they can deliver a working title prior to launch this time so i can try it out at PAX

Bizazedo

Whenever you complain about devs/pubs not being open enough with their information...
Whenever you see a super highly edited trailer that doesn't look like the final product...

Remember this thread. I'm sorry but how dumb do you have to be to think a video that says do not distribute and constantly refers to the game using its codename is completely representative of the final product? I swear this is a perfect example of why we get spoon fed bullshit all the time. Because apparently people bloody need it. And if a thread on GAF looks like this I can't imagine what the rest of the world will think. Sucks for EA.

That being said the concepts they talked about in the video got me very interested.

Awesome post. Threadworthy on it's own, honestly, to point out how important that first impression is and that a lot of people just can't think for themselves.

The fact a portion of DICE Sweden's workforce now works with Visceral in BF:H is precisely why people are skeptical. No one said it was Visceral's fault. Where did I say that? Again, you people are just saying what you want to hear in order to rationalize your own decisions. You can buy the game for all your family and friends for all I care.

And (again), I didn't say move them all to Sweden. You said they were a different studio, I said that a chunk of the DICE studio is now part of Visceral; to think this has no effect on the game is gullible at best.

And how does that relate to BF4's issues? People come and go through studios all the time.

If anything, it means people should really be buying Hardline if they are going by your statement.

Looks good but I don't know if I trust EA/Dice to buy another one of their games at launch. I'll probably wait for the first price drop... Not going to get burned by them again.

I'd throw in that this is also likely why E3 demos have become so uncommon. You often hear about how actual demos on the show floor are buggy or still have some rough spots here and there. No way are developers going to want to allow those demos to get in the hands of too many gamers when it could easily cause even harsher reactions than what we're seeing in this thread.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
EA needs to shock the world on June 9th and say that this game will have an open MP beta starting the day of E3!! LOL. Dreams.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, it has me interested. I guess that's a positive thing. I lost interest in Call of Duty three games ago, and was starting to lose interest in Battlefield. But this looks like it could be a lot of fun (aping Pay Day, and I love those games). I just hope they do the Heist stuff right, and all of this doesn't just play like your typical FP multiplayer match. Pay Day had objectives in the heist, and it always feels like things are changing. If this game is just FPS multiplayer with "scenarios" in the background, it kind of loses its luster.

Personally, I like the idea of them moving towards a TV/episodic structure. I think a lot of games lately (mostly FPS titles), have kind of lost their way with storytelling beats/pacing. And since games are already broken up into levels, it actually makes sense to start writing narrative dramas from a TV/episodic perspective. I think if done right, it could be great.

I feel like this trailer was made to convince executives to let them continue the project. The graphics look like super pre-alpha. I guarantee the game looks amazing graphics wise at E3 though.

viveks86

Whoa. Someone just ruined their E3 reveal.

Looks like an over the top action game, rather than an actual SWAT-based game. Rocket launchers? Fighter jets? lol.

Still looks fun, though, so who cares… Will keep an eye on it

Eterniti

Some parts of the trailer almost remind me of Sleeping Dogs in some weird way. And while I haven't been interested in Battlefield since Battlefield 2, color me interested in this one. VERY MUCH HOPING they take the time to really squash all the bugs before launch and not make it into another BF4.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Well, it has me interested. I guess that's a positive thing. I lost interest in Call of Duty three games ago, and was starting to lose interest in Battlefield. But this looks like it could be a lot of fun (aping Pay Day, and I love those games). I just hope they do the Heist stuff right, and all of this doesn't just play like your typical FP multiplayer match. Pay Day had objectives in the heist, and it always feels like things are changing. If this game is just FPS multiplayer with "scenarios" in the background, it kind of loses its luster.

Personally, I like the idea of them moving towards a TV/episodic structure. I think a lot of games lately (mostly FPS titles), have kind of lost their way with storytelling beats/pacing. And since games are already broken up into levels, it actually makes sense to start writing narrative dramas from a TV/episodic perspective. I think if done right, it could be great.

I fully agree with this. It definitely has the Pay Day feel but I hope it keeps people thinking and the penalty for screwing around is significant as a deterrent. We need some alternatives to the rush/respawn grind of BF and COD.

quotes for troof

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Looks like an over the top action game, rather than an actual SWAT-based game. Rocket launchers? Fighter jets? lol.

Still looks fun, though, so who cares… Will keep an eye on it

We live in a world of ADHD gamers, the days of a simulation are probably gone. Maybe BFHardpoint will have some sim-modes or something, but for a true sim experience, we're probably never going to see that again, at least not in an AAA level. You're going to have a tough time convincing a publisher these days that a SWAT simulator is going to push millions of copies.

Sad but probably true. Hopefully the game modes allow for people to play an arcade style and for others to play a more simulation style.

Usually game modes/settings can dictate that if done right.

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
Is anyone else getting a "GTA meets Battlefield" type vibe when they watch that trailer? I must admit I was quite disinterested in the prospects of a new Battlefield game a year after one had already released, but these game modes look fun and the overall look is much grittier.

Artex

Banned
What is it that people like about Bad Company? Bad Company only existed to fill the BF hole on consoles that weren't capable of the full experience. It was bad and you should feel bad for liking it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
We live in a world of ADHD gamers, the days of a simulation are probably gone. Maybe BFHardpoint will have some sim-modes or something, but for a true sim experience, we're probably never going to see that again, at least not in an AAA level. You're going to have a tough time convincing a publisher these days that a SWAT simulator is going to push millions of copies.

Sad but probably true. Hopefully the game modes allow for people to play an arcade style and for others to play a more simulation style.

Usually game modes/settings can dictate that if done right.

I think a single life mode would lead both to quicker rounds and more discipline.

The gadgets look really sweet. I love how they said you can set up ropes to climb and ziplines anywhere. I can see this leading to some awesome moments. And the vehicle combat looks pretty great too. Jeeps and other light vehicles in normal Battlefield are really overpowered by all the explosive weaponry. Not very effective at all. Hopefully they work better here and we get some cool car chases.

L-gon

As someone burnt out on the mainline BF games, this actually looks pretty great so far. Looks like they are actually trying to make a fun game - a novel concept.

Reule

I'm in. The modes sound like a lot of fun. I'm sure the dial is going to be set to eleven on all the action but I'm thinking there may just be some fun to be had amongst the explosions. I'll probably pick it up a week after launch to see if the servers and or the game are completely fucked up like Battlefield 4 was/still is.

KissVibes

Banned

This motherfucker gets it.

What is it that people like about Bad Company? Bad Company only existed to fill the BF hole on consoles that weren't capable of the full experience. It was bad and you should feel bad for liking it.

The single player in the Bad Company games were far from bad. They had memorable characters and a good amount of humor. But the biggest thing is that the single player in the original game was very much like you'd expect from a BF game. You were dropped into a huge battlefield and were given objectives. But you could approach those objectives different ways because the world was so open. The mainline games do away with all of that. The humor is gone. The memorable characters are gone. And so is the open design of the gameplay. Instead you're left with an ultra linear and mediocre CoD clone.

Bloodrage

Banned

(bro fist)

Archpath1

Hoping for single spawn playlist
And maybe people will have limited explosives
Hard to believe since that's all that trailer was showing off
I just want gun battles with limited equipment geez

I'm not even going to watch media on this. Dice and EA can F off if they are still striving toward a yearly Battlefield title. Put up or shut up-but use some other lackeys. I'm done paying $60+ to beta test your games for 60% of their expected life span.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I think a single life mode would lead both to quicker rounds and more discipline.

If it's an attack/defend mode, it definitely needs single life rounds. Otherwise, there's no penalty for death and it'll just become silly.

One of the reasons I don't like the Rush game mode in BF is because it's basically a meat grinder and it comes down to making a push with a lot of people and just repeating that over and over until the mcoms get armed. It's like the line-based war formations:

Hohenfriedeberg_-_Attack_of_Prussian_Infantry_-_1745.jpg

Boring.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

Well said.

Mully

This looks like a refeshing change of pace for Battlefield. Color me very intrigued.

The pace looks exactly the same. The multiplayer looks like a reskinned Battlefield 3 or 4. Everything looks fast paced. I'm cool with that if these game modes came out as an expansion for Battlefield 4, but I'm not sure if I want this as a new game.

The only interesting part of that concept trailer was the open arena style single player where players can choose how to handle a certain mission.

What the fuck? Did you actually play it? The campaign was great. Maps were wide open, you could use all kinds of vehicles to go wherever you wanted (within reason), and the story and characters were really funny.

Top Bottom