• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bay Area GAF: Kojipro signing at the Metreon Meetup Thread

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I guess they changed the rules cause we could get anything signed and we shook hands with Kojima and co...wished Ryan was signing stuff though...he was doing an interview I think. Got my mgs4 le signed, couldnt decide if I wanted my Subsistence LE or mgs4 signed...but fuck it, mgs4 is the better game haha. 1up show crew was there too as well

Darkpen

Banned
oh my god.

I'm home D:

you guys missed the Meryl cosplayer. I took a picture, she looked pretty good right next to that asian dude cosplaying as old snake, lol D:

I'll post pictures soon.

edit: also, what the hell was up with giant group of gaffers that didn't know they were all gaffers until I showed up asking if there were gaffers in line, lol D:

you bunch of introverted losers D:<

Darkpen

Banned
Verboten said:
Just a heads up if you get the Limited Edition MGS4 signed. After you peel the plastic wrap off of it, there's another thins sticker layer thing that's really closely put on. Otherwise it's very glossy and he'll be signing a removable sticker.

Good luck, Wario and everyone else. Pay your respects!
thanks to you letting one of us know that there's a thin glossy sticker at the line helped me notice that my copy had a glossy sticker that I removed before we got our cases signed :D

though for some reason, I was the only one with a glossy sticker.

It took me 3 hours to get to San Francisco, and I had waited in line for about 4 hours.

It was 5:45 when they stopped letting people in, and there were only about 20ish people in front of me. The store was completely empty by 5:50 PM and Kojima wasn't even in there. Needless to say, I was (still am) mighty pissed. They could've easily let a couple more people in without interrupting the Metreon's schedule to close and reopen at all.

Can anyone who got in give any reason as to why the line was moving so slow? There was a solid hour (4:20 to 5:20) there where the line did not move at all.

SamuraiX-

beelulzebub said:
It took me 3 hours to get to San Francisco, and I had waited in line for about 4 hours.

It was 5:45 when they stopped letting people in, and there were only about 20ish people in front of me. The store was completely empty by 5:50 PM and Kojima wasn't even in there. Needless to say, I was (still am) mighty pissed. They could've easily let a couple more people in without interrupting the Metreon's schedule to close and reopen at all.

Can anyone who got in give any reason as to why the line was moving so slow? There was a solid hour (4:20 to 5:20) there where the line did not move at all.

DUDE, are you serious!? I was hella there. They cut the line off, stopped handing out bracelets and made the security guards turn us back. There only like 15 people in front of me... you must have been right there somewhere. :lol

Anyway, I'm sort of pissed... If I came a half hour earlier, I would have gotten something signed and shook Kojima's hand... All I was able to do was take a view pics and a movie from behind a small layer of glass. :(

Anyway, pictures and video coming up in a few. Kojima actually turned behind from signing and smiled and waved at me. That made the trip all worth it, despite walking away nearly empty handed. :D

Darkpen

Banned
IMG_1976.jpg

Left to right: Myself, Wario64, Marty Chinn
IMG_1977.jpg

Back row: Wario64, careksims, Marty Chinn, Jimmy Stav, Captain Nemo
Front row: Myself, Auron_Kale
IMG_1978.jpg

Old Snake cosplayer
IMG_1979.jpg

Naked Snake cosplayer
IMG_1981.jpg

A lurker by the name of Tim Grimes
IMG_1982.jpg

This is what I wanted us to do, but I never bothered saying anything in the thread, let alone going out and buying a pack of these just for this occasion o_o
IMG_1983.jpg

A lurker by the name of Andrew C.
IMG_1984.jpg

On the right is Callibretto, with his lurker friend I Gede Mahendra
IMG_1985.jpg

more cosplayers
IMG_1986.jpg

A lurker by the name of Jon Gilliam
IMG_1987.jpg

Top view of the end of the line as of 1:37PM PST (It got much much much longer by the time we started moving)
IMG_1988.jpg

The line sort of bends into the little plaza sitting area place at the corner of the block
IMG_1990.jpg

A lurker by the name of Josh Kulinski
IMG_1991.jpg

The corner of the block
IMG_1992.jpg

The latter half of the line that breaks into the sitting area
IMG_1993.jpg

This is a damn long line
IMG_1994.jpg

Seriously
IMG_1995.jpg

Where the line breaks. Its also the exit that the autograph receivers exited from. They later had cosplayers there posing.
IMG_1996.jpg

The entrance
IMG_1997.jpg

Front of the line (apparently, these guys had been there since a little past midnight)
IMG_1998.jpg

The sign (such a lie, Novery was nowhere in sight at that signing table. He was standing around with the 1up dudes instead D:)
IMG_1999.jpg

humongous line D:
IMG_2001.jpg

TIME PARADOX D:!!!!!
IMG_2002.jpg

Mr. Ryan Payton, secretly hanging outside, caught by random passerbyers to take photos with him D:
IMG_2004.jpg

A lurker by the name of Marcello Jagosh
IMG_2006.jpg

Kaizer is the only name I got out of the guy. He was with Payton, it seemed, and apparently does freelance photography. He says he's posted on GAF maybe 3 times, but he mostly lurks.

Kaiserbus
IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

Marty's friend/coworker Max(... or is it Matt... I think it was Max) took these. He took two more, but I deleted them on a whim D: (they were near the signing table, but didn't exactly show out very well)
IMG_2013.jpg

The Meryl cosplayer. Pretty freakin' sweet, if I do say so myself.
IMG_2014.jpg

Some garage band dude's singer/guitarist. I took the photo because of the curious sticker behind him, but I didn't have my LCD monitor turned on since I was running low on battery, so it didn't come out how I wanted it to :(. They were playing across the street from the Virgin records store.

I bought their CD they were selling for $5. Composed of two guys, a guitarist and a drummer, they call themselves "The Ferocious Few," and apparently have a myspace page, lol D:

I'll listen to it later.
IMG_2019.jpg

My signed box :D :D :D

So yeah, it seems I close my eyes a lot in photos :(

SamuraiX- said:
They cut the line off, stopped handing out bracelets and made the security guards turn us back.

Yeah, the SFPD officer offered to sign our games instead. I wanted to laugh, but man, a wasted day kinda got in the way of that.

Well, at least you got a smile and wave from Kojima. I was too flustered to even consider looking through the glass from the outside. I rushed inside instead to see if I could get in anyway.

SamuraiX-

IMG_1976.jpg

DUDE DARK! I FUCKING SAW YOU GUYS! LIKE HELLA EARLIER OMG! I thought you guys were looking for a spot in line, I can't believe I didn't say anything. :(

Were you just picking people out to come to the front? :O

SamuraiX-

beelulzebub said:
Well, at least you got a smile and wave from Kojima. I was too flustered to even consider looking through the glass from the outside. I rushed inside instead to see if I could get in anyway.

Oh snap! Were you able to see him inside? I know if you went through those front doors that lead into the hallway, they cleared you out and then as he came out the back door and went to the garage, security completely covered him, so I couldn't get a shot off. lol

Darkpen

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
IMG_1976.jpg

DUDE DARK! I FUCKING SAW YOU GUYS! LIKE HELLA EARLIER OMG! I thought you guys were looking for a spot in line, I can't believe I didn't say anything. :(

Were you just picking people out to come to the front? :O
dude, the three of us went down the line, calling out to see if there were any GAFers in line. We didn't bother doing it again after 2:00 though

SamuraiX-

Darkpen said:
dude, the three of us went down the line, calling out to see if there were any GAFers in line. We didn't bother doing it again after 2:00 though

Damn man, you guys should have said something... I thought you were looking for a space in line and I didn't want to piss anyone off... lol

Then again, I would have felt hella bad leaving the guys I was with.... :(

Thanks for trying to find some GAFers though man. I was just stupid enough not to realize/take the request. :D

juicyfruitas said:
nice pics, fellas. event looked like lots of fun. Meryl cosplayer was all kinda hawtness.

Pretty cute no doubt, but she kinda sounded like a tree-hugger. Everyone was going crazy seeing Hideo through the glass and she shouted "Leave him alone! He's a human being too, you know!" That gave me a good laugh, because she sounded hella similar to Meryl. :lol

Darkpen

Banned
SamuraiX- said:
Damn man, you guys should have said something... I thought you were looking for a space in line and I didn't want to piss anyone off... lol

Then again, I would have felt hella bad leaving the guys I was with.... :(

Thanks for trying to find some GAFers though man. I was just stupid enough not to realize/take the request. :D

Pretty cute no doubt, but she kinda sounded like a tree-hugger. Everyone was going crazy seeing Hideo through the glass and she shouted "Leave him alone! He's a human being too, you know!" That gave me a good laugh, because she sounded hella similar to Meryl. :lol
oh shit, that's awesome :D Meryl sounding Meryl :O

How is that being a tree hugger? Moar liek Kojima hugger, amirite?

sosage

I waited 6 hours and got sunburned to fuck (I don't think there was anything at the Metreon more red than I)...but now my copy of Snatcher has Hideo's name on it. The man grabbed the manual quick, gave it a big smile and scanned for the fan that brought it up before signing it. It was a pretty cool moment. I then pointed at the cover and said one word, "Sequel?".

He laughed, put his head to one side and shrugged innocently with a sort of "you never know" look on his face.

Definitely worth the impending skin cancer.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Did anyone see any PS3 gunmetals around? I'd imagine getting one of those suckers signed would shoot the value on that PS3 like crazy

sosage

Wario64 said:
Did anyone see any PS3 gunmetals around? I'd imagine getting one of those suckers signed would shoot the value on that PS3 like crazy

I didn't *see* anything with my own two eyes, but there was some mumbling coming down the line that someone was spotted with one.

SamuraiX-

Darkpen said:
oh shit, that's awesome :D Meryl sounding Meryl :O

How is that being a tree hugger? Moar liek Kojima hugger, amirite?

lawlz u r teh rite! I was first thinking of the word humanitarianist, but I'm not sure if that would be correct. :lol

AND DUDE!

MeinFrisco.jpg

ZOMG THAT'S ME! See the guy I sort of semi-circled in red past the white van? :lol

Linkzg said:
The pics confirm that Y2kev has to be Shane now. Wario64 theory has been debunked.

Do you mean Bettenhousen from 1UP? Dude, I saw him there. While the line was moving up, he came and ask a few guys right behind me to be interviewed. It's weird seeing all these "celebrities" in person. :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Darkpen and I actually called out Mangod in the store...I think Shane was actually kinda annoyed by it. I think.

Oh yeah, when I was driving home and I was looking at my signed copy, a guy in the car next to me at a stop light spotted me and told me to roll down my windows..asked me if I just saw Kojima, haha. Some assistant manger from Gamestop. He was pretty excited that I got an LE box signed. Im surprised he could notice through my window..

Awesome meet-up guys, was really random knowing that we were all standing next to each other without knowing it :lol.

Anyways, I wish that everything had turned out better, but when you have Sony saying one thing with the Konami US guys saying another and then having Kojipro saying something else...it's really hard to keep order...

Well, here's what I managed to get signed - the Kojipro team was stoked that I brought it and they pretty much gave me the okay to have it signed, even though Konami US told me that posters wouldn't be allowed - but here it is:

IMG_1216.jpg

Yumi was really cute and after she signed it, she wanted to find herself on the poster (Raging Raven) so I helped her find the Beauty & the Beast unit and she drew an arrow pointing to 'herself' :lol.

Now, bring on AX so that I can try to have David Hayter sign it as well :D

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
More pics of Ms. YK please, Kaizer who has only posted a few times and is a freelance photographer.

:lol

ezekial45

Banned
I feel terrible for not being able to go today. I would've loved to have my LE Subsistence signed. Well, glad you guys had a good time.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
kaiserbus said:
2579865992_989993a183.jpg

i used a canon 5d/24-70mm today.

Wish you hadn't left so early. We ended up at the Buddha bar. Always a great end to the night. Awesome pics btw.

SamuraiX-

Here's my batch.

Starting off with the huge line. This was sometime during that hour long stall between 4:30 and 5:30.
HugeLine.jpg

The Meryl cosplay chick.
MGS4MerylCosplay.jpg

Meryl again along with a PMC soldier, Naked Snake with a croc cap, and Old Snake. They all got something signed btw. They definitely deserved it. hehe
MGS4Cosplay2.jpg

A few young kids getting some pictures with the cosplay fans.
MGS4Cosplay.jpg

The signing event drawing to a close.
SigningEvent.jpg

Yumi Kikuchi. ^_^
YumiKikuchi-1.jpg

ZOMG novery!
RyanPayton.jpg

Oh, and one more little thing that really made the trip worth it for me. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPBR7Bndq_A

I swear man, 10 feet of distance and a thin layer of glass was all that was separating me from Kojima. Everyone outside who got turned back were seriously thinking of rioting and breaking through the glass. XD

Now that I look back, I really did wish I took more pictures, but it was so damn crowded around the glass windows outside. Hard to get a quality shot of anything. :-/

Top Bottom