• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Be Advised: Battlefield 3 Review Scores

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Vire said:
No, I'm disappointed that the campaign is seriously lacking. That's all.

DICE is a talented company so I'm not sure why they can't nail it.

Both and for the PC version only as of yet.

CVG loves the campaign and says it's not perfect, but it's bloody close.

strafer

Hanmik said:
sorry WHAT..? why ..? because they gave the game an 8/10.. and 9/10 (second opinion)..?

Not because of this review, overall.

I just don't like them, there is something weird, can't put my finger on it.

Glassboy

Nostalgia~4ever said:
vire is just pissed this game is getting good scores.
I can understand if he wasn't clear, but if you actually read through the entire review, I think that he defends the score well enough. Hell, i don't even really like Arthur, but his review is sound

Gui_PT

Vire said:
No, I'm disappointed that the campaign is seriously lacking. That's all.

DICE is a talented company so I'm not sure why they can't nail it.

While I do agree with you, they know over 90% of who will buy the game has no interest in the campaign.

It's a development choice. Make a game with both campaign and MP components but since the core of the experiment will be MP, most of the resources will be spent in it.

Salazar

darkwing said:
just remember, the game scores a 9 in spite of the sp

The game scores a 9 because taking the deficiencies of the SP into account would put leave reviewers with uncomfortable numbers.

nib95

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
CVG loves the campaign and says it's not perfect, but it's bloody close.

It will be funny when GAF impressions come out. Of the 2-3 impressions from GAF'ers already playing the SP, the opinions were that it was...well...politely put, pretty lacking.

But I guess we'll see. I was personally defending BF3's QTE's the other day, but I've seen a few more scenes now and do agree the implementation is rather bad. But it's the AI impressions that really got to me. Worse AI than Crysis 2 even on hard? How?....

Manager

Hanmik said:
sorry WHAT..? why ..? because they gave the game an 8/10.. and 9/10 (second opinion)..?

The magazine has been around for a long time here in Sweden, and their reputation isn't incredibly good. They get good exclusives though.

Salazar said:
The game scores a 9 because taking the deficiencies of the SP into account would put leave reviewers with uncomfortable numbers.
The game scores a 9 because different reviewers value different parts of the game differently. How shocking.

Let me break it down like this. What percentage of the total content of BF3 would you consider to be something other than MP (so SP and co-op)? This value will vary from person to person, but I think saying that those two components are anything more than 30% is definitely outside of the norm (and personally I would say something like 20%). So let's say the MP is 70% of the total experience and is a 10/10. Let's say the campaign and co-op are somewhat lacking and deserve a 6/10. What happens when you take the weighted average? 88%. Since most review scales are done on either a 10 or 20 point scale the score is rounded to the nearest suitable number, in this case a 9.

One of the big takeaways from this is that it takes some weird fudgery to get a single score for a game with multiple components like this. The flaw is really in the scales but the reviewers are doing the best with what they have.

Hanmik

Nostalgia~4ever said:
no because they gave the graphics an 8 and quote it with this:

so where is the problem?

did you read his latest comment..?

Många frågar om grafikbetyget, men det är PC-versionen som recenserats, inte den till konsol. Och till PC är skillnaderna större än till konsol där man rör sig relativt nära taket för vad hårdvara klarar av. Spel som Crysis 2 och Rage ser helt enkelt märkbart bättre ut. Som jag skriver i recensionen tycker jag att det mellan varven är lite för polygonfattigt i omgivningarna samt andra småsaker som ibland drar ned betyget lite.

Självfallet har vi spelat med alla inställningar på Ultra, för övrigt. Battlefield 3 är ett mycket snyggt spel, vilket 8 betyder. Crysis 2 fick som jämförelse 9 av 10 och är också lite snyggare.

google translate ..

Many ask about the graphics score, but it is the PC version we reviewed, not on the console. And the PC is greater than the differences to the console where it is moving relatively close to the ceiling of what the hardware can handle. Games like Crysis 2 and Rage looks just noticeably better. As I wrote in the review, I feel it in between is a bit of polygon poor in the surrounding area and other small articles that sometimes drag down the score a bit.

Of course, we played with all settings on Ultra, by the way. Battlefield 3 is a very nice game, which means 8. Crysis 2 showed that compared nine of 10 and is also a little nicer.

Harry Dresden said:
I doubt I will even play the singleplayer campaign.

I never played the Bad Company 1 or 2 campaign.

Funny story, I held of playing bc1 because I thought it looked mediocre, but ended up enjoying it, mostly for the humour.

Did not hold off playing bc2, because of the above, found it to be very boring.

Hanmik said:
did you read his latest comment..?

google translate ..

in which other reviews like CVG dont agree with.

if you leave ideas like artistic direction and choreography at the door and simply concentrate on pure engine ability, textures, lighting, geometry etc. then the likes of Gears 3, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Rage and even Uncharted 3 are simply left gasping. It's a patent generational leap and the kind of experience you could easily imagine as a launch title on the next batch of consoles.

DarkChild

Banned
I figured out that environments look a bit poly hungry. Crysis 2 just looked more detailed to me. Thats not to say BF3 doesn't have its own advantages( such as destruction, sound and scope).

ultron87

Gui_PT said:
While I do agree with you, they know over 90% of who will buy the game has no interest in the campaign.

It's a development choice. Make a game with both campaign and MP components but since the core of the experiment will be MP, most of the resources will be spent in it.

It is pretty obvious from their marketing plan that they were hoping for the campaign to resonate a ton with people. The vast majority of the footage released was from the campaign and even the big 99 Problems commercial that they show on prime time television is entirely campaign footage.

Manager

ultron87 said:
It is pretty obvious from their marketing plan that they were hoping for the campaign to resonate a ton with people. The vast majority of the footage released was from the campaign and even the big 99 Problems commercial that they show on prime time television is entirely campaign footage.

This?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8V92bbLvhs

~70% is MP, rest SP. Caspian Boarder, Operation Metro and Firestorm.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand all the disappointment with Bad Company 2's campaign. 3's will probably be amazing.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
A27 Tawpgun said:
No console reviews yet?
EA tried to guarantee good scores by sending out the "master race" copy.

DarkChild

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
btw he gave black ops a 9 in graphics. Credability lost.
That was a year ago. I sense BF3 will be very inconsistent. Some parts(going hunting) look outright amazing, while some others really look a bit lacking. Black Ops was similar, some parts look extraordinary whatever people say about it, but some parts looked awful.

Peterthumpa

Dr Eggman said:
thatsracisttz7.gif

Vire said:
Both and for the PC version only as of yet. The consensus seems to be Single Player - Thumbs Down and Multiplayer - Thumbs Way Up
Thank you. I didn't even realize BF3 has a single player campagne until recently.

Brilliant scores, I was kind of expecting the scores to be lower because of a mediocre campaign but seems like even that is good. Very pleased and can't wait for origin to finally unlock it.

Dr Eggman said:

Yeah that's what companies do. Nothing strange about that.

nib95

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
in which other reviews like CVG dont agree with.

Tbh, if anything it puts the credibility of CVG and this reviewer in doubt, not the other way around. Hyperbolic comments like this always make me laugh at gaming journalism. I can agree on shaders and lighting, but geometry, textures etc? Guy is having a bubble bath. Geometry isn't BF3's strong suit. Though I'll reserve final judgement for later.

Here's a whole load of high end settings PC screens from the campaign.

http://www.gamereactor.se/bild/?textid=29619&id=260733#

DGRE

Banned
MW2 has a 93 on metacritic and i thought every part of that game was mediocre. Black Ops was markedly better in every aspect yet pulled an 87 on metacritic. The campaigns of neither were outstanding, and I'm sure BF3's isn't significantly worse.

Please tell me what FPS in recent memory has had both oustanding singleplayer and multiplayer?

Shurs said:
I'm almost ashamed to admit this but I haven't finished the Reach campaign and I've gone in with the intention to multiple times. However, I have finished the campaigns from Killzone 2/3, Resistance 1/2/3, Call of Duty 4/WaW/MW2/Black Ops, Singularity, and BF:BC2. The Reach campaign just bored me for some reason. Go figure.

Sec0nd

Gui_PT said:
Too bad most people won't agree with that =\
Like me and coming from a huuuuge Halo geek/fan.

Anyway I'm really excited for this game. The fact that the console version is still embaro'd is kind of worrisome but I'll buy it regardless.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DGRE said:
MW2 has a 93 on metacritic and i thought every part of that game was mediocre. Black Ops was markedly better in every aspect yet pulled an 87 on metacritic. The campaigns of neither were outstanding, and I'm sure BF3's isn't significantly worse.

Please tell me what FPS in recent memory has had both oustanding singleplayer and multiplayer?
Definitely Halo Reach (as everyone else is suggesting). Outstanding AAA multiplayer and single player.

Not an FPS, but Uncharted 2 featured an incredible campaign and multiplayer and I expect Uncharted 3 to deliver even more.

have finished the campaigns from Killzone 2/3, Resistance 1/2/3, Call of Duty 4/WaW/MW2/Black Ops, Singularity, and BF:BC2. The Reach campaign just bored me for some reason.
Fascinating. I thought Reach was a better single player game than ALL of those games you've listed. One of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played.

I figured out that environments look a bit poly hungry. Crysis 2 just looked more detailed to me. Thats not to say BF3 doesn't have its own advantages( such as destruction, sound and scope).
I definitely agree with this. The cities in Crysis 2 definitely appeared more detailed overall. Honestly, from what I've seen, Crysis 2 manages to stand up very well against BF3 on the PC.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I was thinking the reviews would be lower due to the campaign, I am pleasantly surprised. Sounds like the campaign is not the best in the world, but it is solid. That was all I was hoping for.

The launch trailer actually made me excited for the campaign.

nib95 said:
Tbh, if anything it puts the credibility of CVG and this reviewer in doubt, not the other way around. Hyperbolic comments like this always make me laugh at gaming journalism. I can agree on shaders and lighting, but geometry, textures etc? Guy is having a bubble bath. Geometry isn't BF3's strong suit. Though I'll reserve final judgement for later.

Here's a whole load of high end settings PC screens from the campaign.

http://www.gamereactor.se/bild/?textid=29619&id=260733#

eh my multiplayer screens in the beta looked better than these. I also notice horrible compression. Someone does not know how to take a screenshot.

edit: I post my screens when i get home.

dark10x said:
Fascinating. I thought Reach was a better single player game than ALL of those games you've listed. One of the best FPS campaigns I've ever played.
Yeah, I realize that this is a pretty common opinion. Maybe I just need to power through the mission I'm on and it will get better? It's not that I haven't enjoyed any parts of the game, I just burn out on it really quickly for some reason.

Grecco

The Reach campaign starts slow, and has one of the worst missions ever (the one with the sniper spartan) but picks up steam and ends up being brilliant. Maybe thats why he didnt finish it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Grecco said:
The Reach campaign starts slow, and has one of the worst missions ever (the one with the sniper spartan) but picks up steam and ends up being brilliant. Maybe thats why he didnt finish it?
Not the best mission in the game, but I actually really enjoyed the sniping mission. If you take it slow it's a lot of fun. I didn't love it the first time through, but on a replay, it was a blast.

The_Darkest_Red said:
Yeah, I realize that this is a pretty common opinion. Maybe I just need to power through the mission I'm on and it will get better? It's not that I haven't enjoyed any parts of the game, I just burn out on it really quickly for some reason.
Where did you stop? The thing that impressed me about that campaign was how much variety they crammed in there. Nearly every mission has its own unique gameplay beats and visual design. It's really impressive stuff. The campaign definitely starts a bit slow (though I still loved it), but it really ramps up. Did you even make it to the city?

dark10x said:
Where did you stop? The thing that impressed me about that campaign was how much variety they crammed in there. Nearly every mission has its own unique gameplay beats and visual design. It's really impressive stuff. The campaign definitely starts a bit slow (though I still loved it), but it really ramps up. Did you even make it to the city?
I think I'm on "Tip of the Spear."

Grecco

dark10x said:
Not the best mission in the game, but I actually really enjoyed the sniping mission. If you take it slow it's a lot of fun. I didn't love it the first time through, but on a replay, it was a blast.

Did you play the mission in the hardest difficulty? The AI of the sniper spartan was terrible. he would run into walls and i had to do the mission pretty much solo. Was very frustrating.

I do agree that in the end its amazing. Definetly my favortite halo game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
zoukka said:
Stop kidding yourself please. And no, there's no reason at all why they should've focused more on the SP. It's a controls tutorial for most people and the MP is the thing that brings in the money, keeps people playing the game and what the devs are known for.

You should be happy they put so much effort into the SP as they did on its current state. I don't understand why you would even consider paying for the SP campaign alone at launch...
Because I don't like MP but like linear scriptkiddie single player corridor military shooters?

It's in the game, I bet I will like it, and it should be evaluated. I don't really care about how it factors into the overall score since I don't care about scores, but I do care...

Top Bottom