• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Be Advised: Battlefield 3 Review Scores

zoukka

FreeMufasa said:
I was just wondering, if BF3 pulls COD type numbers (or just high sales), can we expect BF4 the year after and then yearly sequals?

Expansions: BF3: Bad Company and DLC.

FreeMufasa said:
I was just wondering, if BF3 pulls COD type numbers (or just high sales), can we expect BF4 the year after and then yearly sequals?
Irregardless, you can expect Medal of Honor 2 next year.

supersaw

nib95 said:
I would say then that at the very least this is disingenuous to layman or non Battlefield savvy gamers. For example, I've never really played much of the Battlefield franchise and would have never even really known it never had a focus on SP until you guys told me.

If I was an average or casual gamer (like some of my relatives and cousins), they look at the trailer and gawp and nearly all of them do so with intent to play it's SP. Because it's the SP that is almost exclusively shown in the Launch trailer. To market the hell out of a feature which is simply tacked on seems idiotic at best, and whilst perhaps you with your vast Battlefield knowledge might no better, the average gamer won't.

I tend to google the name of a game I'm interested in if I've never played any of the prior titles in the series. The "3" in the name is a dead give-away that it's not the first one. Pretty much all the reviews say that the SP is more or less like the SP of that other game, you'd think that would satisfy the average casuals.

Metalmurphy said:
Wait... Gametrailers said that there's no boats on the PC version but they're on the console? What?

Is this true or is it just Gametrailers being gametrailers?

sounds like gametrailers being gametrailers.

Zareth

Metalmurphy said:
Wait... Gametrailers said that there's no boats on the PC version but they're on the console? What?

Is this true or is it just Gametrailers being gametrailers?

They were referring to bad company 2 having boats on the console

Vire

I'm not sure how you can have a lackluster and boring single player and still have a 9.3 on MetaCritic...

But alright. Guess you can call me old fashioned, but I like my shooter campaigns.

Tadale

Vire said:
I'm not sure how you can have a lackluster and boring single player and still have a 9.3 on MetaCritic...

But alright. Guess you can call me old fashioned, but I like my shooter campaigns.

You're old fashioned but you expect a good campaign in a Battlefield game?

NBtoaster

FreeMufasa said:

Im hoping for a Battlefield 1944, simple downloadable 1943-like.

Yoboman

Gold Member
Tadale said:
Why should he not expect a good campaign if they are setting out to do a single player campaign?

Its basically puts it in the same category as the likes of Dead Space or Bioshock 2 with tacked on multiplayer.

Tadale

Yoboman said:
Why should he not expect a good campaign if they are setting out to do a single player campaign?

Its basically puts it in the same category as the likes of Dead Space or Bioshock 2 with tacked on multiplayer.

No, I want a good single player campaign too, if they're going to ship it – if you're not going to do it right, don't to it all. I was just commenting on the irony of being 'old-fashioned' when it comes to Battlefield.

1-D_FTW

Tadale said:

Exactly. I'm not disappointed that single-player sucked (roller-coaster ride FPS games can derail off a cliff as far as I'm concerned), I'm disappointed market realities forced them to waste resources on this direction. None of the previous BF games (Not talking Company side games) had single-player. Game should have had a flight school and that's it. Or if you wanted more, have a bunch of different schools. Tank school. Sniper school. But just training modes to hone your multiplayer skills before going into battle.

goodfella

Vire said:

Doesn't make you old fashioned, battlefield 2 didn't even have a single player campaign. Nor does Counterstrike, Unreal, Quake.

If anything it makes you progressive to expect a good single player component in a shooter.

Vire

When you review a product, it should be looked at as a whole. Turning a blind eye to a significant part of the game just because the history of the franchise revolves around multiplayer is a little ridiculous to me. If you are going to include it in the game, it should be done right and not half assed.

But oh well.

Vire said:
When you review a product, it should be looked at as a whole. Turning a blind eye to a significant part of the game just because the history of the franchise revolves around multiplayer is a little ridiculous to me. If you are going to include it in the game, it should be done right and not half assed.

But oh well.

it is not half assed, just not great. Hence the review scores still being in 9 thanks to a fanstastic multiplayer.

nib95

Banned
zoukka said:
He can decide to think for himself or to cling to PR promises.

It's not about clinging to PR promises though. That's just the average casual gamer taken in by the marketing campaign.

But I'd say all gamers and consumers with some sense should automatically expect a great multiplayer AND single player campaign if a game includes both, just by virtue of good value for money and high expectations or standards.

There are times where I'll decide to play SP over MP, and from what I've played of the BF3 BETA, it wasn't exactly such a spectacular effort that I could justify the notion that all development quality was being injected in to the MP alone, though I do appreciate it was only a Beta. As a consumer I want more value for money and part of that involves getting a more whole gaming package. I think if more gamers felt like this, instead of being apologists that don't even bat an eye lid to a sub standard or average campaign, we might actually put more pressure on devs to deliver a better experience in both MP and SP.

Manager

Syringe said:

Read it through.

He says, after playing through SP, he'd give it "a weak 7". Likes it more after playing co-op (which he enjoys a lot). Then he says the multiplayer is "world class".

Yet, it only get 8, and the big complaint presented is that the single player is too similar to COD. The only other complaint he presents is that there too few big maps, but then goes on about how he loves small maps more.

2nd opinion give it 9/10 who also only complain about SP.

fuenf

Vire said:

But oh well.

Most of the german magazines did separate reviews for the multiplayer and singleplayer portion of the game. And while the singleplayer might be a disappointment for the Battlefield-Franchise (after that marketing campaign) they still scored it in the mid eighties.... . Maybe it's just that some people are having a hard time coming to grips with a singleplayer campaign in a Battlefield game and are expecting something more similar to the multiplayer than to COD.

Manager

Nostalgia~4ever said:
syringe, I know you're Jonas Mäki. How the hell do you give this game an 8 in graphics for PC?

I see Mäki gave Dead Island on PC an 8 in graphics too.

edit
And Lego Pirates of the Caribbean.

U2NUMB

So I have not played it yet but I can not help but wonder why the campaign is getting so much hate. From what I have seen.. it looks exactly like what I want from a modern military shooter campaign. Obviously my opinion could change but what exactly can they do now that pretty much everything has been done already.

Anyways.. online is where it is at and the reviews are loving that aspect.

Can.Not.Wait!

Vire

"Battlefield 3's campaign isn't just a straight line, it's tactically linear. Firefights almost always unfold the same way. This is partly due to enemy AI that often seems stuck to a six foot leash from where they initially appear, but it goes deeper than that. For all the talk of destruction and immersion, Battlefield 3's campaign is a step backward from the manic calamity of Bad Company 2. There's no more blowing holes through walls to make an alternate route. Environmental destruction is cosmetic or scripted.
"Battlefield 3's campaign never quite figures out what it wants to do."

None of that is a death sentence – Modern Warfare drew the blueprint for the modern linear shooter, and it still managed to be fast, fun, and exciting. But Modern Warfare always gave you something to do, and enemies that were fun to shoot. Battlefield 3 is clearly referencing that blueprint, but it fails in this regard. There aren't that many enemies to shoot, and DICE has made up for that by allowing them to fire through geometry with pinpoint accuracy. It leads to a lot of trial by death and memorization. It's not fun."

4.5/5

I don't get it.

When do the console reviews hit anyway?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
CVG - 9.2

Battlefield 3 then, from a campaign perspective, delivers the goods and then some. It's not perfect, but it's bloody close... infinitely more impressive than Bad Company 2 and irrefutable proof that DICE have now firmly stepped into the hallowed ranks of the absolute top-tier developers. COD or not, this deserves a place in your collection - not to mention a place in your heart.

Hanmik

Vire said:
4.5/5

I don't get it.

what did you just qoute..?

and the console are reviewed after the game hits the shop.. something about a day one patch crap thing..

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
WOWOWOW excellent scores for a game of this type.

I think we should rate this more on the MP because well.....it's BF!

So a decent SP is icing on the cake.

Dabanton

So hang on. None of these scores are for the console versions?

If that's the case surely in should be in the OP that they come out after the game is released?

So has Arthur posted on here since his review went up? It seems perfectly balanced and fair to me, and the game has a high metacritic score right now, so why was he predicting a shitstorm?

Gui_PT

LiquidMetal14 said:
WOWOWOW excellent scores for a game of this type.

I think we should rate this more on the MP because well.....it's BF!

So a decent SP is icing on the cake.

That's not how it should work though.

Every component of a video game should have the same importance. That kind of MP only thinking is part of the reason why most games are crap nowadays(BF3 excluded of course)

Glassboy

Vire said:
"Battlefield 3's campaign isn't just a straight line, it's tactically linear. Firefights almost always unfold the same way. This is partly due to enemy AI that often seems stuck to a six foot leash from where they initially appear, but it goes deeper than that. For all the talk of destruction and immersion, Battlefield 3's campaign is a step backward from the manic calamity of Bad Company 2. There's no more blowing holes through walls to make an alternate route. Environmental destruction is cosmetic or scripted.
"Battlefield 3's campaign never quite figures out what it wants to do."

None of that is a death sentence – Modern Warfare drew the blueprint for the modern linear shooter, and it still managed to be fast, fun, and exciting. But Modern Warfare always gave you something to do, and enemies that were fun to shoot. Battlefield 3 is clearly referencing that blueprint, but it fails in this regard. There aren't that many enemies to shoot, and DICE has made up for that by allowing them to fire through geometry with pinpoint accuracy. It leads to a lot of trial by death and memorization. It's not fun."

4.5/5

I don't get it.

If you actually read the review you understand why he gives it as high as he did.

I don't dare to click on the OP's links because I'm afraid of spoilers but may I ask: Are these scores based merely on the single player campagne?

Vire

Nostalgia~4ever said:
vire is just pissed this game is getting good scores.
No, I'm disappointed that the campaign is seriously lacking. That's all.

DICE is a talented company so I'm not sure why they can't nail it.

Imp the Dimp said:
I don't dare to click on the OP's links because I'm afraid of spoilers but may I ask: Are these scores based merely on the single player campagne?

Both and for the PC version only as of yet. The consensus seems to be Single Player - Thumbs Down and Multiplayer - Thumbs Way Up

I don't care what the reviews say, I fully expect to enjoy the SP campaign. BF:BC2's campaign wasn't that great but it was fun to me, and the campaign here is looking to be better. I'll play the campaign once or twice, get 5-10 hours of enjoyment, and then spend dozens of hours playing multiplayer.

Everything I've seen and read from these reviews is exactly what I expected, and none of it has done anything to make me less excited about the game.

Regarding the reviews and how the game should be scored in terms of SP/MP, it's a pointless argument. The simple fact of the matter is that one score isn't sufficient in grading a product like this because of how differently people value the various modes in the game. This is just one more reason why people should focus on the words and not the score.

Hanmik said:
sorry WHAT..? why ..? because they gave the game an 8/10.. and 9/10 (second opinion)..?

no because they gave the graphics an 8 and quote it with this:

gamereactor.sweden said:
The graphics are often stunning and especially lighting effects impressive. During the dark and wet runways, where thunderstorm and blazing gevärsmynningar account for most of the lights which are then reflected in the surrounding area can not be anything but thrilled. Dice has also done a meticulous job with the details and the times I dared myself to walk around to look, I have been able to admire the things that detailed interior finishes of the carts you still can not go in and really fleshy effects.

so where is the problem?

Top Bottom