• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been playing WoW this weekend. Have any questions fire away

So far I like the game. This is my first MMOG so I am totally new at it (short of the MUDs I used to play in the 90's).

What I like most of all is the currency system. Copper is the standard and it takes 100 copper to make 1 silver and 100 silver to make 1 gold. That means gold is extremely rare. I've played for about 30 hours now and I only have 21 silver.

Mairu

The currency system is pretty basic, most other MMORPGs have similar if not the same system

You only have 21 silver? Are you completing as many quests as you can and selling what you don't need? I have been playing since Friday and have found that after a few levels it doesn't get too hard to get some silver as long as you're doing quests.

Yeah, I've been doing quests but, I've been buying stuff and getting skills. I just like it in contrast to games where the give away gold by the armloads. It's closer to traditional D&D and I like that.

Ah, it really not all that fun. You would feel cheated if you got you key that way. Really, you'll feel better once you pay for it.

Malakhov

Banned
Slick_Advanced said:
Ah, it really not all that fun. You would feel cheated if you got you key that way. Really, you'll feel better once you pay for it.
We can try, give me your key and I'll tell you how I feel afterwards :)

Doth Togo

Have you been able to access Talents yet? I cannot. I can only access Skills.

My level 12 human mage is slowly learning how to own...

akascream

Banned
It's sad. There are people frantically wanting to put this game through the ringer, and the people that get in haven't played MMO's before, nor know anything about the game.

thorns

Banned
akascream said:
It's sad. There are people frantically wanting to put this game through the ringer, and the people that get in haven't played MMO's before, nor know anything about the game.

which could be exactly the reason they got in. maybe blizzard is trying to make the game fun for people who have never played mmorpgs?

golem

im actually sort of concerned about the economy.. not sure what there will be to spend your gold on really, since quest items are often better than what you can get on drops or in stores, and are bind on acquire..

Mairu

golem said:
im actually sort of concerned about the economy.. not sure what there will be to spend your gold on really, since quest items are often better than what you can get on drops or in stores, and are bind on acquire..
There are a lot of good drops, I always see people buying & selling rare items. Quests are not the only way to get equipment

akascream said:

Uh, wouldn't that be the group of people you would most want on a beta? Coming from a sw Engineering and Test background I know for a fact that you want people that aren't used to the system to test a system they are more likely to try things people with experience wouldn't try. Sounds like sour grapes to me sucker. If I didn't know anything about the game I wouldn't have registered. MMOG haven't interested me until Warcraft. It's a game That I have enjoyed since WCI and I wanted to get in.

golem said:

There probably needs to be a balance between purchased items and quest items.

akascream

Banned
You should eventually put casuals in to test the carebear factor.. but not when you want to grind through your basic mechanics and balancing. I dunno how they manage to seperate all that data.

Mairu

akascream said:
you really shouldnt worry about that, there are a lot of mmo veterans playing :p

akascream said:
You should eventually put casuals in to test the carebear factor.. but not when you want to grind through your basic mechanics and balancing. I dunno how they manage to seperate all that data.

What make you think that you are so much more eminently qualified to tell the designers that a particular item or quest is out of balance than I am? What do you think that people that are "new" to MMOG are new to gaming or something of that silly nature? That baffles my mind. Has the idea that the game is designed for a multitiude of people even crossed your mind? What you see as a "carebear" issue may have serious design implcations. Having a random sampling of players is going to ensure that they have larger input on the issues.

akascream said:

That's what I got from this quote. This tells me you feel that "casuals" should be the bottom tier of the user rung. And that casuals would be un/ineffective in providing test results as opposed to what you could offer.

lexbubble

I am surprised that they are letting you talk about this openenly in beta. thats cool though. when i was in horizons beta we couldn't say a darn thing for about 8 months. tots annoying.

thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Mairu

Yeah, they don't really care. There is no NDA and the forums are open to viewing to the public (you have to be in the beta test to post, though)

lexbubble said:
when i was in horizons beta we couldn't say a darn thing for about 8 months
Probably because they didn't want anyone to know that it sucked until they shelled out the monies for it. Which I think a total of like 200 people in NA did.

Top Bottom