• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders endorses Tim Canova (Debbie Wasserman Schultz's opponent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TI82

Banned
Title seems incorrect. He's not endorsing him to be chair of the DNC.

Clearly, I favor her opponent," Sanders told CNN's Jake Tapper in an interview scheduled to run on Sunday's "State of the Union" broadcast. "His views are much closer to mine than as to Wasserman Schultz's. Let me also say this, in all due respect to the current chairperson: If [I am] elected president, she would not be re-appointed chairwoman of the DNC

??

Chichikov

He's endorsing him in the house race against DWS, changed the title to reflect that.

Edit: anyway, on the subject, I think DWS is pretty bad at her job, but I'm not sure going after like that is all that productive, but whatever, he was answering a question.

p.s.
Bernie opdray est.

Yeah, I don't know Latin.

Volimar

Let me preface this by saying I voted for Bernie in the Ohio primary. Here goes:

Why should anyone at the DNC care what a member by convenience thinks? His camp have had loads to say about being persecuted by the DNC, some of it fairly, but again he's not even a real democrat so he shouldn't be surprised at the lack of support coming from the Chair. That said, it's nice to see him thinking about someone else's campaign for a change. If that's what this was about.

"His views are much closer to mine than as to Wasserman Schultz's. Let me also say this, in all due respect to the current chairperson: If [I am] elected president, she would not be re-appointed chairwoman of the DNC."

No shit.

Also, I dislike Schultz but his stance here seems like a tantrum, or a threat.

U6FOit2.jpg

Not that I have any particular love for DWS, but continuing to openly pick fights with the DNC does not bode well for his whole "convince the superdelegates to give me the nomination, for some reason" strategy.

Chichikov

Ah, okay. So to be chairperson of the DNC do you have to be an active member (IE: an active elected official)?
I don't think so, there are members of the DNC which are not members of congress.

Also it's worth noting that Bernie said - "If [I am] elected president, she would not be re-appointed chairwoman of the DNC."
And yeah, that's not how it works, the president don't get to appoint the chair of the DNC, the DNC does.

Volimar

U6FOit2.jpg

Not that I have any particular love for DWS, but continuing to openly pick fights with the DNC does not bode well for his whole "convince the superdelegates to give me the nomination, for some reason" strategy.

"All I need is for the delegate members of the party I can't stand to go against their preferred candidate and support me while I spit vitriol and my supporters harass them. I CAN'T LOSE!"

TI82

Banned
I don't think so, there are members of the DNC which are not members of congress.

Also it's worth noting that Bernie said - "If [I am] elected president, she would not be re-appointed chairwoman of the DNC."
And yeah, that's not how it works, the president don't get to appoint the chair of the DNC, the DNC does.

I think it meant he would actively campaign against her and as a president that has a lot more sway?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah you can imagine what would happen to the party if he won. He'd go on a witch hunt, any failure would be blamed on his own party first unless they all rallied behind him.

The left tends to be self-destructive when it comes to politics. Good thing the GOP are idiots.

Knocking DWS out of the House isn't going to make her not in charge of the DNC. At least I don't think so.

Getting her out of congress is enough for me. I don't want democrats in congress who have more loyalty to their local republican friends than to local democrats.

Meowster

She's not the best at her job as DNC Head and I bet she won't be around for much longer in that position but as a congressmember, she is well liked in her area and does a good job. Why would you want her gone?

If Wasserman Schultz loses her seat, that doesn't mean she magically stops being the Chair of the DNC. So, is the issue that she's a terrible U.S. Representative for her district or that she's a terrible Chair for the DNC?

TI82

Banned
She's not the best at her job as DNC Head and I bet she won't be around for much longer in that position but as a congressmember, she is well liked in her area and does a good job. Why would you want her gone?

Her predatory loan ideas and general campaigning is very disturbing. She's on record saying she would change her stance on marijuana if someone would publicly support her. Like wtf

Quixzlizx

Bernie isn't very good at this whole politics business, assuming he actually thinks converting superdelegates to his side is a realistic strategy and not just a bunch of hot air for his fans to suck down.

Maxim726X

I mean, I get that they have bad blood... But this is the chairperson of the same party you're currently trying to convince to give you their superdelegates.

Brilliant strategy, along with the almost daily condemnation of the DNC.

royalan

No shit.

Also, I dislike Schultz but his stance here seems like a tantrum, or a threat.

Because that's exactly what it is.

People have been calling for Bernie to do his part for the party and support down-ticket since the start of this thing. And when he finally throws some high profile support behind someone, it's to the guy running against the chair of the DNC who he thinks has it out for him.

This is the ultimate "Get out your feelings, Bernie" moment.

Drek

HIllary Clinton won Wasserman Schultz's district by nearly 40 points in the Florida primary and the upcoming redrawn district by slightly more than that.

All Sanders is doing now is burning bridges as his support in this particular district is not going to help anyone. It is an older district full of hard Ds who actually like both Clinton and Wasserman Schultz.

Once again showing that he's all about purity testing those on the same ideological side of the partisan divide more than effecting any real change. Barney Frank's 1991 description of Bernie Sanders rings more true every day.

Foffy

Banned
I mean, I get that they have bad blood... But this is the chairperson of the same party you're currently trying to convince to give you their superdelegates.

Brilliant strategy, along with the almost daily condemnation of the DNC.

He should have thought it through. Party lines are childishly tribalistic, so even if DWS is incompetent and pretty bad in the eyes of her critics, she will get a defense force.

Maxim726X

HIllary Clinton won Wasserman Schultz's district by nearly 40 points in the Florida primary and the upcoming redrawn district by slightly more than that.

All Sanders is doing now is burning bridges as his support in this particular district is not going to help anyone. It is an older district full of hard Ds who actually like both Clinton and Wasserman Schultz.

Once again showing that he's all about purity testing those on the same ideological side of the partisan divide more than effecting any real change. Barney Frank's 1991 description of Bernie Sanders rings more true every day.

So I actually read this for the first time the other day, but yeah... Frank called this over 20 years ago.

He should have thought it through. Party lines are childishly tribalistic, so even if DWS is incompetent and pretty bad in the eyes of her critics, she will get a defense force.

Incompetent or not, she is the current chairperson. He seems to be thinking little through at this point.

Not that he can't appoint who he wants in his administration if he becomes president (lol), but actively railing against the DNC and saying things like these....it just begs the question:

What coalition is Sanders exactly planning on forming to influence or pass legislation if he were to get the office?

It just seems he and his campaign have not made much friends outside his purity test bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom