• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best selling exclusive of 2020?

Which game?

• Animal Crossing New Horizons

Votes: 186 74.1%
  • The last of US part 2

Votes: 65 25.9%

• Total voters

MrA

Now THAT is a good conversation. Paper Mario has always been a decent but not unreal seller, like the Infamous series. That's what a close race looks like. Animal Crossing is not on that level. Animal Crossing is going to outsell TLOU2 and GOT combined.
I'd say around 5 million each for ghost of tsushima and paper mario this year, tsushima will probably have longer legs since Nintendo will never drop the price of paper mario while you'll have shots at ghost of tsushima for 10 dollars on sale and 20 dollars regularly in a year or 2.

iHaunter

It's not really a game built for the YouTube/Twitch generation, it'd be like watching someone play "Theme Hospital" or "Sim City", yeah it looks boring but the person playing it is having a great time.

Right, I don't fall in that generation. But thanks. It's like playing the Sims. It's just work. I'd rather do choirs in RL.

Yes, some games sell more later.. what's your point? You've just shown that Smash is an example of a game thay made the bulk of its sales in the initial period, other titles like Zelda were available at console launch and were always going to sell more over time. AC came out at a time where there was a Nintendo drought, 50+ million people owned a device, and there was a worldwide epidemic. Until we get more data on AC specifically it's very reasonable to imagine it's already made most of its sales

But that really isn't the point, you keep tunnel visioning on specific parts of what I'm saying as if I'm attacking Nintendo in some way, it's weird
Take a look at the year of release dude.
Smash Bros Ultimate was released at the end of 2018

That 1.5 year is false if you are going to do a comparison atleast do it right.
13.2 million Figure is from last July 28,2019. That’s only 10 months SMH 🤦‍♂️.
The numbers for Spider-man could be closer than 20M. Gamstat shows 26M Players or users for it.

Although animal crossing might outsell Spider-man in the following months and that’s well deserved. Animal Crossing is a great game.

OT:
Tlou 2 is an m-rated game and a very violent game.
Also, AC:NH is also breaking records in Japan.
We know the numbers for Animal crossing and we know that it will win already. T
How about we do a more interesting comparison?
Ghost of Tsushima or paper mario? Both games will be releasing on the same month.
please stop using that unreliable mess known as gamestat lmao

Vawn

Banned
I still can't imagine it outselling Animal Crossing worldwide, or even coming that close. We will see though.

It's awesome seeing it doing so well. I know how badly people wanted this game to fail.

I still can't imagine it outselling Animal Crossing worldwide, or even coming that close. We will see though.

It's awesome seeing it doing so well. I know how badly people wanted this game to fail.

Me neither but it's still going to do extremely well though.

Woopah

What do you mean? It has already won the critics and fans over (and even some haters), conquered the sales chart and will most likely win every GOTY-award available.
They mean it won't win the contest specified in the OP anytime soon.

Last edited:

Mhmmm 2077

This poll could be shown as 1) Nintendo game 2) Sony game - and Nintendo would win everytime.
Just check the data:
Nintendo Switch units sold - ~55M, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which is an enhanced port from Wii U (where it also sold almost 8.5M units on a Wii U, which sold only ~14M units) sold already over 24M copies.

PlayStation 4 on the other hand sold already over 105M units; the best selling exclusives: Uncharted 4 sold ~16M copies, Spider-Man sold ~13M copies.

Nintendo gamers are buying the exclusives, Sony... not really tbh, do the math.

edit: according to Wikipedia, Nintendo Switch has 5 games that sold more copies than Uncharted 4 did (the best selling PS4 exclusive), even though Switch consoles sales are only ~50% of PS4 console sales. No need to mention that PS4 is also 3 years older than Switch.

Last edited:

Quixz

TLOU2 will do great numbers but won't beat Animal Crossing.

Would have loved to compare these two with Halo Infinite.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Switch first party games have an insane attach rate unmatched by anyone. It won’t get close despite having way more consoles sold.

SaucyJack

This poll could be shown as 1) Nintendo game 2) Sony game - and Nintendo would win everytime.
Just check the data:
Nintendo Switch units sold - ~55M, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which is an enhanced port from Wii U (where it also sold almost 8.5M units on a Wii U, which sold only ~14M units) sold already over 24M copies.

PlayStation 4 on the other hand sold already over 105M units; the best selling exclusives: Uncharted 4 sold ~16M copies, Spider-Man sold ~13M copies.

Nintendo gamers are buying the exclusives, Sony... not really tbh, do the math.

edit: according to Wikipedia, Nintendo Switch has 5 games that sold more copies than Uncharted 4 did (the best selling PS4 exclusive), even though Switch consoles sales are only ~50% of PS4 console sales. No need to mention that PS4 is also 3 years older than Switch.

of course this is true.

I mean who buys a Nintendo console to play third party games? The biggest third party games either aren’t there or are completely hacked back to a lite version. So yeah, everyone buys the big first party titles and little else.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The one where you can play as a comfy serial killer.
Animal Crossing, because TLOU2 featured a Vita in it, the epicentre of Sony's Failure.
Fuck you
nT6gwPe.gif

TLOU1 did do 20m across both consoles so it's possible for TLOU2 to surpass it. It all depends on how well this game is received and sells initially, and how well it does on PS5 next gen. A lot of variables are at play, including the strength of software for the PS5's launch window. The more choice for that dollar, the lesser the chance it's going for a TLOU2 sale.

Still betting on TLOU2.

I think a leap of faith is warranted now. I switch :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Eanox

TLOU2 won’t beat AC. AC sales in Japan is monstrous.
TLOU 2 will be lucky to sell 1M in Japan alone.
I can see 300k-500k or more from Japan including Digital.
If TLoU2 will sell a lot in NA and EU then yes it will have a chance.
The only IP i can see beating AC is Spider-Man or if ever Sony was able to release a multiplayer game or a game that has a great replay value.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Ghost of Tsushima will beat TLOU and Animal Crossing

Its already the more beloved game among playstation fan and casual gamers

You can have my dirty pictures if im wrong

Screenshoot this comments

Last edited:

samporter

Banned
Animal crossing will continue selling full price. TLOU2 will be discounted in a few months. Look at the price trends of all Sony exclusives. Spiderman, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn are selling brand new for around 20 dollars.

Selling 17 million units at full price is better than sellling 17 million units at half price.

Bodomism

Banned
Animal crossing will continue selling full price. TLOU2 will be discounted in a few months. Look at the price trends of all Sony exclusives. Spiderman, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn are selling brand new for around 20 dollars.

Selling 17 million units at full price is better than sellling 17 million units at half price.
Over 4.1 million units of uncharted 4 were sold as bundled with PS4 in the US lol and probably more if we added all regions.

If Sony has the ballsack. They Microtranstion the fuck out of Last of us 2 multiplayer. And end up making more money then Animal Crossing. Buts impossible for a Kids game to beat a adult game. And im talking about the rating.

4 of the Top 5 sold PS4 games are not family friendly and only 3 of the Top 10 are.
No parent is buying their kid a PS4 to hog their TV. They’ll get them a tablet or a switch. PS4 and Xbox are definitely older focused. Sony would have to put as much resources as last of us and god of war to a kid games for lengthy time frame for them to grab that market.

Spiderman does tap into that.

ZywyPL

Banned
It's a really tough call - potentially there is a 110M vs 55M userbase, and AC sales are slowly but surely becoming saturated, but at the same time, Sony's biggest exclusives reach 10-15MLN copies despite that userbase. Not to mention next-gen is just around the corner, and people might want to wait to experience TLoU2 on PS5, which can be postponed to early 2021.

Plus, the controversy around TLoU2 might bite it in the longer term when the word spreads out - like it or not, there are many people who simply don't like (or even hate) what Druckmann is offering, and forcing it at them won't change their minds, if anything, it'll only build even more hate. Time will tell, 6 months to go.

D.Final

Banned
Best selling exclusive of 2020? Cyberpunk will be playable on 6 different hardware types, so yeah, not really an exclusive xD

But it will be the best selling and highest rated game this year. Mark my words.

Sorry.
My mistake :messenger_grinning_sweat:

yurinka

I think TLOU2 is going to be the best selling PlayStation exclusive ever counting all their consoles, because of the growing trend on Sony exclusives this gen compared to previous ones, because its critical acclaim, because it's in a point where the console has an insane installbase but it's still the most played console for most people and because in a few months many people who didn't have a PS4 will buy a PS5, will want to play PS4 exclusives and this will be very likely their first choice because it will be the most recent top exclusive (sorry Tsushima, you'll sell well and get attention and love but not that much), so they will buy TLOU2 even if it doesn't have a PS5 enhacement patch or port.

I bet both Animal Crossing and TLOU2 will sell over 20 million units, but not sure which one will sell more. Maybe Animal Crossing.

As usual in Nintendo exclusives, they only have a couple of big selling games per year and the multis aren't the top selling ones (no FFVIIR/Cyberpunk/CoD/AC/FIFA/etc), which means they have very little competition, which means that sales get focused on a few top titles, and they have over a longer period of time because their visibility isn't frequently affected by other top titles as happens in Xbox and specially PS4.

So big selling Switch exclusives more than compensate having the half of the userbase with the lack of competition in big selling games on their platform.

Plus, the controversy around TLoU2 might bite it in the longer term when the word spreads out - like it or not, there are many people who simply don't like (or even hate) what Druckmann is offering, and forcing it at them won't change their minds, if anything, it'll only build even more hate. Time will tell, 6 months to go.
The game got critically acclaimed. The 'controversy' is mostly the typical fanboy review bombing that (for one reason or another) we saw many times before and never negatively affected sales: in any case, sometimes even happened the opposite. People talking about it -good or bad- provides extra exposure which means more sales.

No parent is buying their kid a PS4 to hog their TV. They’ll get them a tablet or a switch. PS4 and Xbox are definitely older focused. Sony would have to put as much resources as last of us and god of war to a kid games for lengthy time frame for them to grab that market.
The average sale of PS4, XBO and Switch users is the same. The 'Nintendo kids' are thirty something years old. The average age of any console was only kids and teenagers in the '80s and '90s and has been growing since then, because that same generation is still the biggest chunk of the console userbase. And Nintendo consoles aren't an exception.

Kids aren't the main userbase of Mario, Kirby and Pokemon since decades ago: kids now mostly play Fortnite, Minecraft, Roblox in addition to mobile games on smartphones and tablets.

Last edited:
As usual in Nintendo exclusives, they only have a couple of big selling games per year and the multis aren't the top selling ones (no FFVIIR/Cyberpunk/CoD/AC/FIFA/etc), which means they have very little competition, which means that sales get focused on a few top titles, and they have over a longer period of time because their visibility isn't frequently affected by other top titles as happens in Xbox and specially PS4.

This makes no sense. I mean, I know it makes some sense in your head because you badly need a justification as to why Nintendo games sell well, but real life doesn't work like. The target audience for Cyberpunk/COD/AC/FIFA will never have the Switch as a single gaming device. They are still going to buy those games in other platforms. It's not like you bough a Switch and then all of the sudden all of the third-party games in the world no longer exist.

Shifty1897

It isn't outselling Animal Crossing, nothing will this year. You have a system selling game that appeals to kids, girlfriends, grandparents, and some hardcore gamers... Versus an M rated game so controversial the far left and far right both hate it and so dark that people say the game is too depressing to be fun and has been straight up compared to Schindler's List. There's no doubt both games are high quality products, but only one of them has that broad appeal.

Top Bottom