• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best/Worst Wake-Up Call/Difficulty Spike Bosses

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
So we've all been there. Playing a game, everything is coming up roses. "Ha! Are they any that canst hope to smite me? Is there a soul who deigns to proclaim themselves a threat to me, a veritable mountain of nigh invincible success and skill?!" you exclaim in your living room. But then it happens: you get royally mollywhopped. Perhaps once, perhaps several times. Difficulty spikes are common place in games, and utilized well, they're a fulfilling test of skill and ingenuity, proof that you're in the big league now. Done poorly, they're hair pulling, rage inducing limbos that are cheap, unfair, and stacked against you. What are your examples of the best and worst?

Good tier: Bladewolf from Metal Gear Rising. Teaches you to parry, hands you your sawed up ass if you don't take the lesson to heart. Teaches and refines a skill that you will use for the remainder of the game.

Bad tier: I'll stick with Metal Gear and say the Skull Unit from MGSV. If you're new to the base building/R&D research, or just plain inattentive, you'll very likely end up doing a typical mission only to find yourself getting your butthole turned inside out in an airport by spoopy ghost men who are earth benders and have armor that baseline weapons are like peashooters against.

laynelane

Two examples I can think of come from the The Ringed City DLC from Dark Souls 3:

Good: The Demon Prince. Despite the name, the fight consist of three demons you must defeat. They all have high damage output, high health, and high defence. Fighting them taught me about managing multiple enemies of that size, remembering and countering patterns, and using everything I have in my arsenal to win - mobility, weapon types, armour, etc. It's now one of my favourite fights in the series.

Bad: Midir. He's a huge dragon so understandably has a huge health pool. He also has extremely high defence, only one weak(er) point, and massive damage output. The fight is long, arduous, and you are in danger of being one-shot very easily throughout it all. His moveset is relatively easy to understand but due to his size it can be hard to get out of his way and the camera doesn't help either. I don't enjoy this fight because unlike most fights in DS, it's an endurance contest.

Last edited:

Three

persona-boss-faq-part-2-rises-dungeon-voidquest-dungeon-bonus-bosses-and-secret-lab.jpg
This guy

YukiOnna

In recent times Sekiro was great at this. Genichiro basically has you learn how combat works and flows in Sekiro and I never had any trouble going forward for a majority of the game thanks to that boss fight. So thankful you had that skill check early on.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
That cave boss in I am Setsuna. I just strolled through the game up until that point, then this guy mopped the floor with my party. I had to grind some ten levels to stand a chance.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
The final boss in Destroy All Humans 2020. It taught me how to press start and choose quit.

Bad tier: I'll stick with Metal Gear and say the Skull Unit from MGSV. If you're new to the base building/R&D research, or just plain inattentive, you'll very likely end up doing a typical mission only to find yourself getting your butthole turned inside out in an airport by spoopy ghost men who are earth benders and have armor that baseline weapons are like peashooters against.

That part was absurd. Even with a grenade launcher it was very tough.
I believe in my second playthrough I upgraded the walker gear and it was so much easier.

Doczu

First boss in Nier: Automata. I started playing on Very Hard because i wouldn't let any game tell me who's the boss.
So after a ~1 year of getting frustrated, dropping the game, trying again, memorizing the whole intro monologue, besting every small enemy, then getting too sure of my capabilities and got murdered by basic robots i finally did it.
Got pro as shit thanks to the prologue.

The whole battle taught me everything about the game, bullet hell sections, dodge mechanic, combos, humility.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The final boss in Destroy All Humans 2020. It taught me how to press start and choose quit.

That part was absurd. Even with a grenade launcher it was very tough.
I believe in my second playthrough I upgraded the walker gear and it was so much easier.

I want to say I had to run through a bunch of side ops while I upgraded one of the assault rifles to like rank 5 or something. Been awhile since I played, but I remember it being a brick wall for progression the entire afternoon.

Skatewarp

maxresdefault.jpg

Bad diff spike:
This fucker.
The Anchor is an optional boss fight in Control, but goddamn, it was a tough one.

As far I know, patches made this boss more easier, but I played/defeat it before those patches were out.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Final boss in Spikeout: Final Edition. It will literally take probably $20 worth of credits to beat him. Just straight up cheapest boss in a game ever

Bragr

Banned
First boss in Nier: Automata. I started playing on Very Hard because i wouldn't let any game tell me who's the boss.
So after a ~1 year of getting frustrated, dropping the game, trying again, memorizing the whole intro monologue, besting every small enemy, then getting too sure of my capabilities and got murdered by basic robots i finally did it.
Got pro as shit thanks to the prologue.

The whole battle taught me everything about the game, bullet hell sections, dodge mechanic, combos, humility.
The worst part is having to play through 30 minutes to get there.

Codes 208

Weirdly enough for a game that was overall pretty easy, the Egg beetle and final level in general in sonic unleashed was a 9/10 difficulty while the rest of the game stayed around 5/10

And obligatory dark souls boss shenanigans but when I was getting back into the series via dark souls 3, there was a massive difficulty spike when facing Pontiff Sulyvahn. That fucker had my number and sent me back to the bonfire where I belong again and again so many damn times. In a series where the difficulty is above average he was a boss amongst bosses

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Not a boss, but that damn Water Room in Resident Evil 4. Hot damn was that a spike during my first few playthroughs as a kid.

I remember that room well. That and the room towards the end of the castle that was basically a long stairway with two small hallways on either side that had two Garradors and a bunch of respawning cultists. I was too young to use the bells in the room the right way and basically played tag with these things over and over until I brute forced my way through the encounter.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
genichiro ashina
Really!? before you fight genichiro you will come cross mini samurai boss that has very low posture, couple parry will finish him off. And genichiro same way also has low posture compare to other story boss, if you are aggressive, his very easy to beat.

MrS

Banned
Really!? before you fight genichiro you will come cross mini samurai boss that has very low posture, couple parry will finish him off. And genichiro same way also has low posture compare to other story boss, if you are aggressive, his very easy to beat.
I know a lot of people who dropped the game at Genichiro. Was a real skill test for a lot of folks.

Danjin44

I know a lot of people who dropped the game at Genichiro. Was a real skill test for a lot of folks.
If you mastered the parry, his not that tough. Guardian Ape in other hand was much tougher fight in my opinion.

u4ea

maxresdefault.jpg

Bad diff spike:
This fucker.
The Anchor is an optional boss fight in Control, but goddamn, he was a tought one.

As far I know, patches made this boss more easier, but I played/defeat it before those patches were out.
Man, control has the worst difficulty spikes.

You play almost an hour going through enemies like a breeze and suddenly you hit this block. The worst part is that you lose credits when dying and the checkpoints can be a PITA sometimes.

Bragr

Banned
There are one or two rooms in Uncharted 4 that are a giant bitch because the layout sucks.

Dragon Age Origins was a motherfucker on harder difficulties if you didn't build your squad well, and it was the kind of fuckery where you get 80% into the game and suddenly it spikes to hell.

Bragr

Banned
maxresdefault.jpg

Bad diff spike:
This fucker.
The Anchor is an optional boss fight in Control, but goddamn, he was a tought one.

Huh? isn't this the guy who just spins around and you shoot him a few times and he's done? I thought the end last 30 minutes of the game was worse when it comes to spikes.

I had a harder time getting to him. You need to cross that chasm. I got there without levitate and it was a huge fucking pain. I didn't even know you could get levitate way after I did that guy.

Danjin44

Guardian Ape was easy imo. His attacks are telegraphed and easy to read.
His second phase was much easier to deal with but first time fighting the Guardian Ape his first phase give me lot of trouble.

• LOL
Reactions: MrS

YukiOnna

I think the difference is that Genichiro basically taught you how to parry a wide variety of attacks. Whether it was range, side swipes, or elemental, he had everything so he served as a good skill check. Every other boss following after that follows that model (outside of the puzzle ones,) so they never gave me that much trouble. Guardian Ape ended up being really easy thanks to that.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
screen03.jpg

Look at this giant bug boss it's in the beginning of the game but before that enemies were weak.

Top Bottom