• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Betting time: Do you think the Switch will be a success?

Will the Switch be a success?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezan

It will faul, IMO. There are no games and it's really expensive in Mexico. 10,000 pesos is just crazy, like really really crazy.

Will wait till Xenoblade and FE Warriors and hopefully Smash, just because sooner or later Wii U onñbe will go down.

heyf00L

I'm thinking if they market is as a portable/handheld that comes with a TV dock, it'd have a better reception.

But the lack of launch games and price of peripherals is unacceptable no matter what.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I would like to see Nintendo succeed, but it's hard to imagine the Switch doing any better than the Wii U in the long term.

mackattk

I guess one of the biggest issues for me is that my consumer confidence in Nintendo after Wii U isn't so great. The Switch hasn't won me back yet.

muteant

Out of the gate, I see it doing better than the Wii U. Long term it's hard to guess, but once they really consolidate their handheld and console development under one screen, I'm expecting a lot more going forward.
come on, GTFO of here with that completely sane post. read the room.

totally agree. E3 will be interesting, I suspect they withheld some significant stuff for June (though I'm not convinced this was the right strategy). At this point Nintendo probably sees the game as a long play into the 2017 holiday season. I think by then we'll be able to gauge whether the system is a success, but whether they have more to show in June will be a big hint to that end.

I'm still glad I preordered and look forward to playing a (hopefully) smooth frame rate enabled BoTW anywhere I want but I'm really worried after the presentation and pricing. Spending money on pointless "HD Rumble" which probably helped jack up the base model price and the sheer, downright self destructive gall of pricing extra Joycons at $80 and Pro controllers at $70. They're targeting family play and party multiplayer again but what parent next November is going to look at spending hundreds of dollars on a Switch, extra controllers, ect. and not go for a cheap PS4 or XB1 bundle instead? It's a flat out insane and self contradicting non-strategy. The worst thing is the concept for the system is so great and it's supposed to replace 3DS but unless a lot more games and a Pokemon RPG are announced soon there is no way it's doing that the way things are looking. Heck, I have a lot of 3DS games I'm still working on, I'll probably end up playing my 3DS a lot more this year than my Switch once I finish BoTW because what else will there be to play outside of stuff like Arm and minigames until Mario Odyssey in November? Betting negative/neutral at best.

Parapraxis

It's a pretty impressive launch year, don't you think? If we look at the XB1 and PS4 launch years I don't think you can point out very many compelling experiences. PS4 in particular had a really abysmal launch year

*snip*

What does everyone think?

No. PS4 launch year was great, the Switch launch year is abysmal. Take off the rose-tinted glasses.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I mean, just... what happened with Nintendo's executive culture? I've been assuming for four years that they were humble and in freak-out mode and realized in retrospect how massively they'd fucked up, and they were asking themselves questions like "How did we produce so much hardware and software that's totally unappealing? What can we do to apologize to our fans and make it up to them? How can we completely change and update our whole way of thinking to match the needs and desires of 2017 gamers? How can we use our war chest to deliver a huge amount of appealing software cheap and win back market share?"

But everything about yesterday suggests that they learned absolutely none of those lessons. It suggests that they have an insular executive culture of back-patting and mutual reinforcement, like George Lucas surrounded by his sycophants or something. They seem to really believe that the Wii and DS are the norm and the Wii U the exception, despite all evidence to the contrary. They seem to think their whole way of thinking is fundamentally correct, that their products are just the best, and that the Wii U's failure is... a fluke? Somebody else's fault? Anything but a sign that their entire approach to video games is fundamentally broken.

How else do you explain a $300 handheld right after their $250 handheld and $300 console had trouble selling? How else do you explain the online play subscription fee with absolute garbage value-added? How else do you explain $70 and $110 controllers? How else do you explain 1,2,Switch with its hilariously dreadful minigames, a collection that to all appearances makes Nintendo Land look like the game of the century? I mean, pretending to milk a cow? Counting balls? For $50? Are you fucking kidding me? Is this a joke? This is what Nintendo thinks is the new Wii, the new mass-market killer? A bunch of corporate icebreakers that make the average VR shovelware look like a masterpiece?

How did Nintendo's decision-makers get this bad? How could they possibly be so insulated from the real world to be this delusional?

I feel the same way about pretty much all of this. The high-level decision making at Nintendo has seemed rotten for a while now and it clearly isn't getting better. They have a genuinely appealing and fun console design that they are hamstringing in every possible way.

I never would have guessed that last night's conference would leave me with so many concerns that the ever-present third party issue barely even registers as important by comparison.

Are you Nintendo diehard fans really hyping up HD rumble...?.........................??...............?

Yeah man, I dunno. I would gladly - gladly - sacrifice "HD rumble" if it meant the controllers weren't ludicrously expensive. It's the thing I never knew I wanted and wait no I still don't really want it.

I have been thinking so many times that this will get the 3DS Year 1 treatment now that the price is revealed:
-Console releases
-Fine for a month or two, but things wind down due to lack of other big titles
-Sales are rubbish
-Nintendo announces a price drop/Ambassador Program during E3 or some Summer Direct
-Things pick back up in the holidays, other third-party groups (mainly those who have done 3DS games before) follow through in the next year

Would rather wait a couple months after launch and see how things turn out.

Gartooth

Holy shit at that last poll option! Honestly though, that theme park is probably going to be the biggest non-mobile success story Nintendo has in the next 5 years.

I think it will pick up momentum once games start coming out and when bundles and price drops hit. If it's the only successor to both the Wii U and 3ds, I think it will do well because it will be the only place to play Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, etc.

BiggNife

Gonna say improvement over GameCube/Wii U but not Wii levels.

I expect strong launch, then six months of slow sales, and then a big resurgence once Mario Odyssey and potentially Pokemon Stars are out.

Comet

come on, GTFO of here with that completely sane post. read the room.

totally agree. E3 will be interesting, I suspect they withheld some significant stuff for June (though I'm not convinced this was the right strategy). At this point Nintendo probably sees the game as a long play into the 2017 holiday season. I think by then we'll be able to gauge whether the system is a success, but whether they have more to show in June will be a big hint to that end.

Agree with you two guys. Once those consolidated handheld/console dev teams get pumping we should be seeing much smaller first party game droughts than we've seen on Wii U and Wii.

People freaking out about the price of the console are weirding me out. It's a home console that you can take with you, not a dedicated portable.

The peripheral prices are garbage, sure. But still.

NotLiquid

This shit gonna bomb so hard, only hope is that they can get the price down and flex that Pokémon brand hardcore. Like stars better wow the shit outta people this holiday season. Where the fuck do they get off with charging $70 for a pro controller though and Nintendo must be outta their mind charging for online. What are people even gonna play online? Mario kart?

Out of the announced games we have Mario Kart, Splatoon 2, Super Bomberman R, Arms, Fast Racing RMX, something about VC titles having online(?), probably some other stuff in the games that were announced so far.

People freaking out about the price of the console are weirding me out. It's a home console that you can take with you, not a dedicated portable.

The peripheral prices are garbage, sure. But still.

The peripheral price is the only thing I'm actively frustrated about. $300 for the console itself is a little more expensive than I'd have hoped for but it's not that much of a dealbreaker to me. When everything compounds on itself I can see why people are frustrated admittedly.

No company ever could afford selling a portable machine with xbox one specs for $300.

Firstly, i said "close". Secondly, it is not uncommon at all for hardware companies to take losses on hardware, so yes its possible.

Portable xbox one specs? no. CONSIDERABLY BETTER than the garbage dished up to us? Yes. definitely.

StereoVsn

I think this is a plausible scenario. Because I can't see it being wildly successful this year, but maybe once they lower the price and either renege or revamp that paid online nonsense, then we'll see where it goes.
There is nothing inherently wrong for charging for online gaming at this point (unfortunate but true), however you have to have value-adds, robust network infrastructure, proper account system, family plan of some sort, etc...

I see none of the above in Nintendo's reveal.

mAcOdIn

PS4 had a decent price for its specs.
Switch has a terrible price for its specs.

This is not hard to understand or a double standard.
I actually don't think it has a bad price compared to its specs. There actually is a lot of tech in there, two controllers and a portable tablet each with their own batteries, gyroscopes, ir, a decent sized screen, okish hardware, wifi, yadda, yadda. It has a lot of shit, the thing is the spec balance, I'm sure the portable crowd wishes there was no dock and the controllers weren't removable and maybe weaken it a tad more to get the formfactor and battery life up there and the console crowds thinking, fuck all these switching nonsense, get rid of the joycons, their batteries, the screen make it a tad bigger and increase airflow or add active cooling so it can be clocked higher and give us real storage, again, yadda, yadda. Kinda the same deal with the Wii U, it's not that for the price it wasn't what was worth what it was but that depending on the type of gamer you were, if the concept wasn't a winner you couldn't help but think what it'd be like if the hundred bucks or whatever that went to the gamepad had also gone into the system's specs as well and what a nice system that'd have been.

And since the Wii U and Switch both have "gimmicks" or niches that don't directly compete with the competition that value gets muddied. Is the ability to pick it up and play it on the go worth a weaker GPU? Was the need to be close to a console in power worth the low battery life and the shit form factor? How much are those worth? The Xbox One and PS4 compare against each other easily, the Wii U and Switch were slightly different value propositions than Sony and Microsoft.

ASIS

I think it will do a little better than N64. Maybe on the ballpark of the SNES.

Although I've been wrong on every sales prediction so I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one :p

Whompa02

0KgtyOX.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
It's releasing right next to horizon zero dawn. sony would be in a good position to do a launch day bundle.

lol

bumpkin

In a word: No.

In more words: Awesome concept that challenges the home vs handheld paradigm, attractive hardware, the power of Nintendo's IP, seemingly strong third party support, but the same price as more powerful hardware and ludicrously overpriced accessories ($70 for a Pro Controller?).

I want it to succeed, but I will be surprised if it does any better than the Wii U.

I think it will sell better then Wii U, but there are a lot of unknowns here to consider. The console is a bit pricey and right now there are massive gaps in the release calendar, honestly they should have ported some of the more recent Wii U games to pad the launch. Still both of those still were not as big of a shock as the accessory prices, I mean WTF? $80-100 for the joy cons, and $70 for the pro controller (why this is even a thing to Nintendo is beyond me) when the upgraded smash port/new one comes out I'm looking at $280 just so I have enough controllers for me, my bros and friends thats kind of ass.

psyfi

Banned
The launch is a little weak, I'll be the first to admit it. But they have some amazing software planned for the first year, and I think the core hook of the hardware is genius. 1 2 Switch and Snipperclips both show off the anywhere/anytime multiplayer really well, and while I don't think catch on as easily as the Wii did, I think it has potential to really take off. I think it'll be a success for sure, but we'll see if it's a Wii style phenomenon.

It was?

They hit all the right notes with that launch.
Resogun was amazing... and that's about it?

Nerazar

They could've made the dock more powerful...

Not really. The games must run in Handheld mode as well. If you "overcharge" the dock, you would soon have 2 tiers of games and then the shared library would not be a feature anymore.

But: Nintendo is certainly able to dish out incremental hardware updates every 2 years like Sony or MS. Maybe next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom