• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Episode Two |OT| The Debt Is Paid

vladdamad

Wow, the scores are amazing. I loved the first episode, so I guess i'll love this one even more. Can't wait to see how everything turns out. I unfortunately got spoiled about the opening by the PC Gamer review, but to be honest I'm now even more hyped, it sounds really interesting.

Some speculation on how I want things to play out (potential spoilers) -
I really want Elizabeth to play a part in programming Jack Ryan in some way. It would be a really cool way to tie the whole series together, with you seeing Jack being put on the plane and thus beginning the events of Bioshock 1. It would also be really cool to see some multiverse stuff come through a tear from System Shock, or perhaps a tease of a new world altogether. And finally, I just want to see the Songbird sub-plot be resolved. It still pisses me off that we haven't found out who's inside the suit.

PC Gamer Review said:
As a whole, Episode 2 feels like the most cohesive Bioshock Infinite campaign. It's certainly more so than Episode 1, which had a hard divide separating its combat and story. But even the main game's action-oriented combat was often at odds with its attempts to present a living world. Here, Elizabeth is always in danger, and always the outsider—creeping unseen through a world she isn't part of. In this, the character and combat are completely in sync.

This actually has me excited to play the DLC. The above is exactly why the original BioShock succeeded where Infinite failed, and a return to form is very welcome.

Fuchsdh

Rock Paper Shotgun, Wot I Think by Alec Meer:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/25/bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea-2-review-pc/

This stuck out to me:

Well, duh it's essentially fan fiction. That's been clear from the very beginning of the Burial At Sea announcement—this is an altered version of Rapture that doesn't necessarily have any relation to the version we saw in the first games, because quantum mechanics, and that's why we're throwing in these characters from the other game. It's a mashup, for sure, and loses something by that nature—but if it's a well-done mashup I don't much see the issue. The cat's out of the infinite universe bag.

I do agree about how some stealth elements have been sorely missing the entire series. Infinite especially would have benefitted, given that it pared down the combat significantly so it would have felt less cluttered and far more useful (as you're supposed to be running around a bustling city rather than an empty shell.)

As a heads up, you may not want to watch this video review before jumping into the DLC, since they kind of spoil a big moment. Fair warning!

I wasn't intending to watch it (mainly just wanted to listen), but I accidentally saw the very first image/first second of video and was pissed. I hope that wasn't a big spoiler for the story... Fucking Gametrailers with their spoilery reviews.

IronRinn

Watched the Gametrailers review without knowing that it was spoiler-y but still knowing it was spoiler-y because, hey, it's Gametrailers.

I'm sure something was spoiled but I have no context for any of it so I suppose I remain unaffected?

OT updated again.

BAS EP1 OT updated.

Spoiler OT is up, link here.

You can discuss spoilers (with spoiler tags of course) in this thread in relation to what ever cool stuff you encounter throughout your playthrough but please use the spoiler OT to discuss the end game to EP2.

vladdamad

Also, am I right in thinking that the only trophy-related difficulty requirement in this is to complete the game in 1998 mode? No need to complete it on 1999 mode, like in the previous episode?

Lafazar

Well, duh it's essentially fan fiction. That's been clear from the very beginning of the Burial At Sea announcement—this is an altered version of Rapture that doesn't necessarily have any relation to the version we saw in the first games, because quantum mechanics, and that's why we're throwing in these characters from the other game. It's a mashup, for sure, and loses something by that nature—but if it's a well-done mashup I don't much see the issue. The cat's out of the infinite universe bag.

The problem is that Alec clearly does not think it is well-done.

Fuchsdh

The problem is that Alec clearly does not think it is well-done.

Fair enough. My feeling though reading between the lines is he's not on-board with the whole experience in the first place, so it's not surprising he would dislike it no matter the quality.

Ricker

When is this supposed to come out on Steam? Just started BAS Ep1, wondering how much time I've got to finish this.

Early this afternoon I guess...its been the 25th for 12 hours now but hey who's counting...

EP1 is really short,you should have time...

OneLetter

What a weird time.
This is due to Daylight Saving Time. Not everyone switches over at the same time (or switches at all), which is why we gave a range of times. Steam will update for me at 1PM Eastern, while some folks it will happen at 2PM Eastern.

*shakes fist at timezones*

OneLetter

Not checking reviews in fear of spoilers, but is Levine accurate about the length being 6 hours?

Time is entirely determined by your play style. In the majority of our tests / playthroughs, the average is 5-6 hours. Some will be less, some will be more, but you it's certainly longer than Episode One, and chock full of stuff to look at.

catmario

After I saw all footage of Episode 2....

This makes me sad... :(

I highly recommend to play this dlc. One of the best DLC.

Time is entirely determined by your play style. In the majority of our tests / playthroughs, the average is 5-6 hours. Some will be less, some will be more, but you it's certainly longer than Episode One, and chock full of stuff to look at.

It took me almost 4-5 hours to beat Episode One, so I'm expecting Episode Two to take me quite a few hours, lol.

Gartooth

If you go about it slowly, searching every part of the game, then maybe. But I'd say it's closer to 3-4 if you just follow the objective.

Thanks! I'm the type of player to take my time looking at the environment and hunting down every secret I can, so I can see this easily doubling my playtime of the first episode.

Gartooth

HOLY SHIT! Irrational were the masters at playing with the audience's hearts and minds, man what a way to pull someone in!

Wesker28

nR2Ugbg.png
9.1 GB!!! Awesome :D

Sigh, I need faster internet. I would kill for 1.5 hours to download 9gb. :p

Haha! Maybe I shouldn't complain then, sorry man! We've had Fibre *coming* to our area for what seems eternity, I think that's made me hyper critical of my DL speeds lately, justifying that purchase when the time comes ha

Veelk

Banned
Can someone help me out here? Steam is fucking up.

The page kept dying as I was trying to buy it, but I finally managed to get to the 'Purchase' link and hit it.

Then it died again. Now, when I try to go through the process again, it tell me that the transaction is pending, and has been for the last half hour or so, but I obviously still haven't gotten the DLC yet. So what, is it in limbo? Do I contact customer service?

I completely recommend that you guys start on 1998 mode. The combat is so good, the pacing is magnificent so far.

I would love to if steam would allow me to purchase the game. Steam just hangs and gives an error when trying to purchase. Oh well I'll give it an hour and hope the issues are fixed.

pa22word

While it can be powerfully maudlin when the approach is echoes through time, constants and variables rather than outright rewriting, some new reveals are outright ugly in their attempt to retroactively justify earlier narrative decisions. For instance – and a minor spoiler which doesn’t relate to the overall outcome here – we discover that the much-criticised ultimate depiction of Vox Populi leader Daisy Fitzroy as a murderous monster no better than the racist, cruel powers she sought to overthrow was in fact a feint, necessary in order to force a certain event, but really she hated what she was doing and knew it would lead to her own demise.

fp8pv.gif

FartOfWar

Banned
I completely recommend that you guys start on 1998 mode. The combat is so good, the pacing is magnificent so far.

I prefered Hard mode. 1998 is no kills at all. You won't have a lot of the magic happen when you try stuff like hitting the Big Daddy with a nosiemaker, or shooting the BD in the ass from afar when he's near Splicers.

I'm gonna play on Hard like I did with the main game and BaS Ep 1. It provides a decent enough challenge while still having enough stuff/money/ammo to have some fun.

MNC

Ugh and I need to redownload the entirety of Bioshock Infinite as well. This is gonna take a whiiiiiiile.

Top Bottom