• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

bwahhhhh

Dot50Cal said:
Um..yeah? And the 360 scales to 1080p in the same way, so what is your point??

if past "non-1080p that scale to 1080p" PS3 games (most of them, aside from GT5P, SSHD, and a few others) are anything to go by, if you have a 1080p set i'd recommend using 720p and having your TV scale it to 1080p. the 1080p scaling that the PS3 does doesn't yield very good results, in my experience. (this depends on the game, however)

anybody have any impressions of how the 1080p mode of GTAIV (PS3) looks on a 1080p TV, vs. the 720p mode scaled to 1080p by the TV?

Marconelly said:
I took these face shots of Nico's cousin just a few frames apart when he was passing the middle of the screen in one scene:

In motion the difference in the way their faces are lit is even more obvious IMO, but you can see even in this small screen how there's less harsh highlight spread on the face on the left. It's not just the contrast.

There's a movie made by Dot50 on Gamersyde.com

Taking color out of the equation - and noting the 360 shot is closer to a lightsource... I still don't see that a different technique was used....
http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=99165500oj9.jpg

...having said that- Quaz has stated that the PS3 has no AA - meaning FP16 could be implemented...

pswii60

With a VGA cable, the 360 version looks even sharper again (compared to HDMI). I assume that's because I'm getting rid of overscan and getting near-as-damnit 1:1 pixel matching. So if anyone has the option to do that, give it a try and see what you think. Seems to make a bigger difference in this game than any other game I've compared.

h3ro

Whatever, MGO is still 10p better... :p

The "blended/fuzzy" look takes a while to get used to though. I think it is because of the amount of internal scaling my TV is doing to bring it up to 1080p from 720p output of the PS3. I love the lighting in the game. There is no "better" in this case, its all about personal preference. Also, I totally see what some of the reviewers meant when they were talking about "warmer" vs. a more "clinical" picture.

Props to Rockstar for putting this amount of effort into both games, and the fact that some say they like one version over the other, while others say the opposite is a testament to how even these two games are...

lets try something new GAF... lets actually play the game and enjoy it! :D

Also, can someone please explain what FP16/FP10 HDR is?

Dot50Cal

Banned
Just dropping in to let you all know the original IGN analysis was incorrect. I sent Quaz some lossless screenshots which would make pixel counting much easier and much better quality.

Quaz @ Beyond3D said:
it's 1152x640 exactly like Halo3 and Dark sector PS3

:)

Edit: Beaten Terribly.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
commariodore64 said:
...having said that- Quaz has stated that the PS3 has no AA - meaning FP16 could be implemented...
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Still PS3 ver. might be using some edge blur or something along those lines. I'm saying that as it doesn't seem to look as jaggedy as I'd expect a no-AA game to be.

Btw, I don't think you can just take out color out of picture to prove your point. Color is a part of the lighting and shader calculation, and by manipulating parts of image in color and levels you can pretty much simulate any kind of HDR look.

Btw2, HS is the only game with FP160-like precision HDR and MSAA on PS3 that I know of. There's couple more that have HDR+MSAA (Uncharted, Motorstorm among others) but I don't think the HDR precision is that high in them.

Surfheart

dark10x said:
I just don't know which version features a smoother framerate. Everybody has said something different. Some claim the PS3 version has the smoother framerate while others say the opposite. I suppose that would indicate that they are close enough in that regard that people really can't detect a real difference.

Framerate was noticeably smoother on the 360 version to me and my friend. Not significantly so, but enough to be obvious.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
I dont think the time of day is perfect, but for what its worth:

PS3:

360:

Edit: DP, sorry!

Are the strange artifacts on the trees on the left and woman's arms part of the game or the capture/jpeg in the 360 version? While the 360 version is sharper it has some harsh boundaries between objects (see the building fronts on the left).

Surfheart said:
Framerate was noticeably smoother on the 360 version to me and my friend. Not significantly so, but enough to be obvious.

Which is the opposite of some other impressions, so it's hard to really make decisions based on anecdotes. I guess we'll have to wait for head-2-heads.

harSon

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
Are the strange artifacts on the trees on the left and woman's arms part of the game or the capture/jpeg in the 360 version? While the 360 version is sharper it has some harsh boundaries between objects (see the building fronts on the left).

Which is the opposite of some other impressions, so it's hard to really make decisions based on anecdotes. I guess we'll have to wait for head-2-heads.

I'm starting to think my eyes are defective.

DemonNite

wasnt sure if i should post this here (as its mostly screens in this thread) but another difference between the 2 versions?

In the process of making our GTA 4 comparison video we've noticed one major difference between the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game - there is no full-screen video mode for in-game TV in the Xbox 360 version.

We're not sure why - maybe it's because the video files could be stored in higher quality on the Blu-ray disc - but there is an option to watch TV shows in full screen (well, as near as) in the PS3 version of GTA 4. This feature is missing from the Xbox 360 version, with the player forced to view what's on the box in a small viewing area.

It's not a massive blow to the Xbox 360, but some of the short TV shows are certainly worth a look and we'd much rather watch them in full screen rather than strain our eyes viewing the smaller Xbox 360 version.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/29-04-2008-8155.html

minus_273

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
I dont think the time of day is perfect, but for what its worth:

PS3:
ps32.jpg

Edit: DP, sorry!

hmm, this reminds me of the n64 filter. there is a weird glow over everything. as someone else pointed out, is the ps3 outputting at 720p?

duk

Banned
minus_273 said:
hmm, this reminds me of the n64 filter. there is a weird glow over everything. as someone else pointed out, is the ps3 outputting at 720p?

wow just a few posts up

DeadGzuz

Banned
harSon said:
I'm starting to think my eyes are defective.

Are you looking at 50Cal's captures from the previous page? Maybe I'm not describing it well, but there is something obvious going on. Zoom in on the woman on the left and the two trees above her, there are some strange artifacts.

The buildings are just not blending well, they look like the LOD is not consistent.

pswii60 said:
With a VGA cable, the 360 version looks even sharper again (compared to HDMI). I assume that's because I'm getting rid of overscan and getting near-as-damnit 1:1 pixel matching. So if anyone has the option to do that, give it a try and see what you think. Seems to make a bigger difference in this game than any other game I've compared.

Yeah I use VGA and it is definitely a crisper picture than some of the 360 screens I've seen.

DeadGzuz said:
Are you looking at 50Cal's captures from the previous page? Maybe I'm not describing it well, but there is something obvious going on. Zoom in on the woman on the left and the two trees above her, there are some strange artifacts.

The buildings are just not blending well, they look like the LOD is not consistent.
i do see what you mean, but he did say that the captures aren't lossless... that sort of noise could be jpeg artifacts... or it could be something else.

since the ps3 screen doesn't have someone stood behind a mipmapped object (i think that's the right word for it) again... it's difficult to really say anything.

Evlar

Banned
Anyone willing to comment on or compare the audio quality of the two versions? I would like to hear about both the audio in general (ambient sound, mixing, channel separation in surround, etc.) and the quality of radio tracks in particular.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Francias Castiglione said:
Yeah I use VGA and it is definitely a crisper picture than some of the 360 screens I've seen.
Does that work in its favor? The direct feed 360 shots have a wierd "airbrushed" look to the depth of field effects (especially on trees) that I really do not care for.

Oh well, regardless, the decision has already been made (I picked up the PS3 version). We'll see how it stacks up. As I'm not using a 1080p display and have had little issue with other lower resolution games, I'm not too worried.

dark10x said:
Does that work in its favor? The direct feed 360 shots have a wierd "airbrushed" look to the depth of field effects (especially on trees) that I really do not care for.

Oh well, regardless, the decision has already been made (I picked up the PS3 version). We'll see how it stacks up. As I'm not using a 1080p display and have had little issue with other lower resolution games, I'm not too worried.
i'll only have the 360 version to test later tonight, but i will definately compare how it looks on my big 1080p tv with how it looks 1:1 pixel mapping on my 24" 1080p monitor to see if 1:1 pixel mapping compliments the airbrushed look or not.

Evlar said:
Anyone willing to comment on or compare the audio quality of the two versions? I would like to hear about both the audio in general (ambient sound, mixing, channel separation in surround, etc.) and the quality of radio tracks in particular.

360 version is fantastic (via optical thru Samsung HT-TX25) and the positioning/channel separation is superb. I'm no audiophile but the radio tracks don't sound overly compressed to me, the ambience and ped chatter are up to par as well.

The game options offer the ability to dictate the position of your rear speakers (side or rear) which made a difference for me switching from rear to side (either side of my la-z-boy! :D )

dark10x said:

It works in favour of the textures but yeah it does highlight some of the harsher edges in the background.

Evlar

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
360 version is fantastic (via optical thru Samsung HT-TX25) and the positioning/channel separation is superb. I'm no audiophile but the radio tracks don't sound overly compressed to me, the ambience and ped chatter are up to par as well.

The game options offer the ability to dictate the position of your rear speakers (side or rear) which made a difference for me switching from rear to side (either side of my la-z-boy! :D )

It works in favour of the textures but yeah it does highlight some of the harsher edges in the background.
Yeah, I noticed that in the PS3 version too. It's the first time I've seen the option in a console game.

Marconelly said:
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Still PS3 ver. might be using some edge blur or something along those lines. I'm saying that as it doesn't seem to look as jaggedy as I'd expect a no-AA game to be.

Btw, I don't think you can just take out color out of picture to prove your point. Color is a part of the lighting and shader calculation, and by manipulating parts of image in color and levels you can pretty much simulate any kind of HDR look.

Btw2, HS is the only game with FP160-like precision HDR and MSAA on PS3 that I know of. There's couple more that have HDR+MSAA (Uncharted, Motorstorm among others) but I don't think the HDR precision is that high in them.

It's a similar technique to how Resistance blurs out when you die - they use a plate effect that essentially use a texture gauss akin to looking through a dirty window - so to speak. It's an interesting cheat that seems to benefit this game.

I still don't see evidence of a different lighting model - but I'm interested in the final verdict...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
commariodore64 said:
I still don't see evidence of a different lighting model - but I'm interested in the final verdict...
I don't think anyone is saying that it's using a different lighting model. To me it just looks like higher precision HDR, or maybe a different shaders for materials.

I mean, different look of his face in this image can't be attributed solely to a different video output or contrast, as much of the rest of the image looks really close, but his face looks pretty strikingly different:

http://dot50cal.the-horror.com/gta4/1.jpg

commariodore64 said:
It's a similar technique to how Resistance blurs out when you die - they use a plate effect that essentially use a texture gauss akin to looking through a dirty window - so to speak. It's an interesting cheat that seems to benefit this game.
What you're describing there is what's used in MGS3 for example. In this case I think it's an actual HDR glow though. Still, if you look at the media that doesn't exibit any glow, like the picture I linked to above, it still doesn't look as jageddy as I'd thought it would. Look all the way around his collar for example.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
OK I haven't seen what options the game gives you to change the look.

Is there an equivalent to the annoying trails from GTA III that should be switched off for the best results?

cgcg

yea in the PS3 version you can see light bouncing off his forehead and face while it's almost non-existent in the X360 version.

edit: wow that's a lot of dithering going on. Is that an filter effect? Can you turn that off? I heard there're a lot of filter options in game.

painey

yeah, when I came out of Romans house I saw those shadows and thought URGH but its not so bad elsewhere.. the shadows and far distance are the killer with the "paint filter" but I hardly see any jaggies on my 360 version.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
andrewfee said:
Just looks like more saturation/different coloured lighting to me really.
It's not just that. Even if you change the saturation on the right side, you don't get the same kind of highlights on his forehead or nose for example, and the rest of the image starts looking really super-saturated and weird, so I think it has to be either a skin shader or some kind of smarter post processing or difference in lighting, not just the difference in video output.

Marconelly said:
It's not just that. Even if you change the saturation on the right side, you don't get the same kind of highlights on his forehead or nose for example, and the rest of the image starts looking really super-saturated and weird, so I think it has to be either a skin shader or some kind of smarter post processing or difference in lighting, not just the difference in video output.
eitherway, i think the gaunt look suits an east european just off the boat more than the glowing orange/yellow look he has on the ps3 side.

something different is going on... but maintaining that one is 'smarter' when we have no idea what's causing the different looks? i don't see the rationale.

DeadGzuz said:
Thanks, so it is in game and not something else. Is this a "feature" for the 360 version or a rendering artifact? The PS3 version does not do this at all?
we don't know yet.

it could be an intentional look to make it look more 'painted'. it could be an artifact of their lod system. it could be in the ps3 version but hard to see because of the softer look of the game, or it could be not in it at all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
plagiarize said:
something different is going on... but maintaining that one is 'smarter' when we have no idea what's causing the different looks? i don't see the rationale.
By "smart" I only meant "non-uniformly applied to the whole image" (if it's even the case and any post processing is used). Nothing else really.

plagiarize said:
eitherway, i think the gaunt look suits an east european just off the boat more than the glowing orange/yellow look he has on the ps3 side.
Hey, we eastern Europeans are warm and fuzzy people - it's just the way media portrays us, I tell you! :lol

FirewalkR

ps32.jpg

Sorry for reposting the image but... It's just that I'm tingling inside... I can't shake this feeling. I'm still at work but in 2 hours or so I'll be looking at that, gonna rub my hands with glee, laugh out loud at the monitor, and set out to EXPLORE. :D :D :D :D :D

j-wood

I'm playin on the PS3 version, hooked up via HDMI and on Vizio 32 inch LCD TV. On the PS3, the display settings go all the way up to 1080i, but in game, my TV says it is displaying 720p.

Sometimes, certain shadows have a "screen door" look to them. Is this normal?

CurseoftheGods said:
Will the PS3 version get some of its own DLC in one form or another? Or are all extras exclusive to the 360 edition?

I think it's assumed that there will be DLC for both platforms outside of the exclusive 360 DLC.

cgcg said:
even if you desaturate the colors you can clearly see that the PS3 version has more lighting going on.

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/2582/60596964ef4.jpg

The color doesn't necessarily mean there is more lighting going on. They are just employing slightly different color palettes that has nothing to do with the lighting.

Both games have a practically similar style of lighting. I assume you have a copy of the game currently? If you do, you'll notice that as this game is being viewed on an HDTV whether that be the 360 or PS3 version of the game, there is just no way to really argue that one is employing more lighting than the other because both look really good. They just have different ways of going about it.

dammit if that if that is the case then it is only assumed by fans thus far because Rockstar has only ever confirmed definitively 360 DLC and have not, to my knowledge, said there would be any DLC for the PS3 version of the game.

If you take into account the 360 exclusive DLC's separate release cycles (one this year and the next sometime next year) then it should be pretty obvious that if the PS3 version is going to get DLC then it wont be for quite awhile after the 360 DLC and then there is the possibility that the money Microsoft has paid for the DLC means it stays exclusive to the 360.

j-wood said:
I'm playin on the PS3 version, hooked up via HDMI and on Vizio 32 inch LCD TV. On the PS3, the display settings go all the way up to 1080i, but in game, my TV says it is displaying 720p.

Sometimes, certain shadows have a "screen door" look to them. Is this normal?
does it look like the dithering in the uncompressed 360 shot that dot50cal posted a link to earlier?

jaaz

I know it's been said before, but with respect to the sharpness (or lack thereof) of the versions, it looks like it comes down to personal preference.

When I play CoD4, I play on my custom "movie" mode setting on my 1080p Bravia, which lowers the sharpness considerably. I like it because it makes CoD4 look like I'm "playing" a war movie. It's more immersive, in my opinion, because it makes me forget that I'm playing a video game.

I am getting the game for the PS3 this afternoon (couldn't do the midnight launch at the last minute) and I am itching to see how it will look on my custom movie mode setting. Given that the PS3 version already appears to have a lower contrast, I fear that the my custom movie setting might make the game appear TOO soft. We'll see.

On the flipside, I would be interested to see if people with the 360 version can achieve the look of the PS3 version by adjusting their TV settings.

One thing I have definitively noticed this generation is that as TVs and games advance in technology, the look of games has become MUCH more dependent on your TV settings.

Top Bottom