• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

Alienfan

The one thing I still don't understand about the original (and I don't think 2049 addressed it), is if we take the unicorn origami to mean Gaff knew about Deckard's implants, how did he know, why did he know, and why would he be all cryptic and leave the unicorn behind and not just simply tell him? Seemed contrived

firehawk12

Subete no aware
People have shown close ups of it where you can see that a horn was broken off it.
haha, of course.

I don't have a problem with the idea that Rick might be an android. It's not the case in the novel, but that novel certainly does have Rick forced to consider the possibility of androids who only think they are bounty hunters.

Rick is unequivocally human in the novel, and there was no real debate about the film Rick until the 1992 release of the Director's Cut, with the unicorn daydream. But Ridley Scott says he conceived Rick to be an android, and that's okay too. It's a shame that this didn't really come out at the time of the first release in 1982.
It's weird because I thought the debate was fun, but having a direct sequel just complicates it almost needlessly. I almost wish the sequel just came out and said one way or another what the "canon" ending of 1 should be.

The one thing I still don't understand about the original (and I don't think 2049 addressed it), is if we take the unicorn origami to mean Gaff knew about Deckard's implants, how did he know, why did he know, and why would he be all cryptic and leave the unicorn behind and not just simply tell him? Seemed contrived
I always took it as a "You know I know, I know you know, and let's just leave it at that". Which was basically what they had him say when K goes to meet Gaff at the old folk's home.

smisk

Finally saw this tonight. It's definitely one of the most beautiful films I've ever seen, may go again while it's still in theaters. I might actually like 2049 better than the original (though I only saw it for the first time a couple weeks ago). Both have rather sparse stories and appealed to me more on a design/technical level, but the characters in 2049 felt more fleshed out.

Also regarding sentience: Priscilla Page posted this on Twitter earlier and I found it a very insightful and concise summary of consciousness.

DMEBMC9UEAA5Uyb.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/919017355623120896

s_mirage

This is probably the part that has the fuzziest logic in the movie. There's two ways of looking at it. The first is that Luv somehow covered her trail after the first incident in that she was able to wipe away the evidence that she was there and so nobody knew who killed that guy. The second is that Wallace Corp has enough influence to cover up the killing of two police officers, including Madame, but not enough power to outright order Madame to cooperate with Luv. I don't think we were shown Madame's actual title in the LAPD and judging by the size of her office she might be really high up. So conjecture but she might either run the LAPD or be so close to the top that Wallace can't just force her to do what he wants. There's the possibility he could have had her replaced outright but what she was doing wasn't exactly on the books either.

I see another way of looking at it: Madame covers it up on her own. Remember when she impresses upon K the importance of a Replicant giving birth being kept secret because of the danger of that knowledge starting a war? If a proper investigation is performed it becomes much more difficult to keep that secret. She knows that it was Luv that killed Coco and took the bones, but she can't do anything against her without the potential of creating a much bigger problem. Of course, Madame's own murder still needs to be covered up, but I assume that pressure from Wallace plus the insistence of Luv, who "cannot lie", that it was self defence would sort that out.

Minnow

So if i haven't seen the first movie or any of the in between animated shorts how much stuff went over my head seeing this just now? I still very much enjoyed it but feel like i should go back and watch the other stuff in the franchise

HariKari

So if i haven't seen the first movie or any of the in between animated shorts how much stuff went over my head seeing this just now? I still very much enjoyed it but feel like i should go back and watch the other stuff in the franchise

The shorts aren't required in the slightest. 'Blackout' is a good watch, though.

Definitely watch the Final Cut of the original.

Kadayi

Banned
Yea, unlike the guy in the morgue it seems she will have to justify herself to Wallace so that might have turned into a huge problem but we just don’t see the response to it.

As long as Luv delivers I doubt Wallace cares, the guy is insanely powerful and the death of some meddling police chief is likely nothing he can't sweep under the rug.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

The shorts actually spoil the movie a little bit. Watch the shorts after the movies IMO, or maybe in this order:

Final Cut
Blackout anime short
Dave Batista short / Jared Leto short

The shorts all happen between the movies

I'm having a conversation with this guy on reddit, and he made this point that I'm having difficulty "refuting", for lack of a better term.

Why would Sapper or Freysa hide the kid in the blade runner organisation? Shouldn't this raise some questions in K's mind, in terms of the validity of him believing that he's the replicant child? I personally can explain it away with the combination of the evidence he has (the dream, finding the horse, the DNA record) and really wanting to be real/special/have a soul, but on the other hand, I can't really reason against this person thinking this is a flaw in the narrative, sort of.

HariKari

Why would Sapper or Freysa hide the kid in the blade runner organisation? Shouldn't this raise some questions in K's mind, in terms of the validity of him believing that he's the replicant child? I personally can explain it away with the combination of the evidence he has (the dream, finding the horse, the DNA record) and really wanting to be real/special/have a soul, but on the other hand, I can't really reason against this person thinking this is a flaw in the narrative, sort of.

Hidden in plain sight. Just like the actual child. For starters.

Plus, he doesn't really learn that there is a resistance and that the child is being actively hidden until much later, right? Up until that point, the child seems like a misplaced orphan, which K believes to be himself due to his vivid memories. It takes quite a long time for us to go from a child was born to K being told it isn't him.

Hidden in plain sight. Just like the actual child. For starters.

Plus, he doesn't really learn that there is a resistance and that the child is being actively hidden until much later, right? Up until that point, the child seems like a misplaced orphan, which K believes to be himself due to his vivid memories. It takes quite a long time for us to go from a child was born to K being told it isn't him.

Well:

In terms of the resistance purposefully placing the baby in the blade runner organisation: If the child's so important, why place it in such imminent danger? Replicants can be killed, as is evident by the fact that K hunts them for a living.

In terms of him thinking he's just a misplaced orphan: I don't think there are other replicant children, right? While they do age normally, they aren't ever really children, right? They're still made, from one of those bags, as adults. Because otherwise, why implant fake memories?

leng jai

Holy crap the audio was absolutely dismal in the cinema I saw the film in, was close to ruining the entire experience to be honest. The soundtrack was completely messed up, half the time it just came across as distorted droning. Even Dunkirk was as bad as this.

I can't wait to reward children this at home on my own setup. They almost always fix mixing issues in the home video release.

Window

Holy crap the audio was absolutely dismal in the cinema I saw the film in, was close to ruining the entire experience to be honest. The soundtrack was completely messed up, half the time it just came across as distorted droning. Even Dunkirk was as bad as this.

I can't wait to reward children this at home on my own setup. They almost always fix mixing issues in the home video release.

Auto correct is the worst sometimes but I laughed so it has some value even when it messes up. lmao.

HariKari

Well:

In terms of the resistance purposefully placing the baby in the blade runner organisation: If the child's so important, why place it in such imminent danger? Replicants can be killed, as is evident by the fact that K hunts them for a living.

The fact that K is equipped to hunt them and is good at it makes him a pretty good hiding spot. But I think that's besides the point, K isn't actually aware that anything is being 'hidden' until he's told that he is not the child. Freya even says "we all wish it was us", so the belief that they are the kid is probably something that occurs in replicants that get those specific memories. A replicant that got unique memories ending up a BR is pretty plausible.

In terms of him thinking he's just a misplaced orphan: I don't think there are other replicant children, right? While they do age normally, they aren't ever really children, right? They're still made, from one of those bags, as adults. Because otherwise, why implant fake memories?

He finds evidence that one was born and passed through an orphanage that he has memories of. He goes there, finds the pages missing, and doesn't actually get closure until Freya tells him that it isn't him. It seems plausible that he could be the child right up until it's revealed that there is an entire operation watching over this kid and they're planning an uprising. He's completely unaware of this until he's told.

I don't see how it's a plot hole.

Man, I can't wait to watch this movie again on Sunday.

The fact that K is equipped to hunt them and is good at it makes him a pretty good hiding spot. But I think that's besides the point, K isn't actually aware that anything is being 'hidden' until he's told that he is not the child. Freya even says "we all wish it was us", so the belief that they are the kid is probably something that occurs in replicants that get those specific memories. A replicant that got unique memories ending up a BR is pretty plausible.

I think we (K as well as we as the audience) know that someone was trying to actively hide the baby from the point where he notices that the DNA was identical, no? But I do suppose that doesn't necessarily mean that they did it for anything beyond giving the kid a chance at life.

Still though, the question then is: How do replicants end up at the LAPD? Surely they don't apply or anything like that. They're probably just purposefully made by the Wallace Corp for that use specifically, and go from the factory directly into duty. So how does K think he ended up with the Blade Runner organisation? It's possible that he think he was clandestinely inserted by some secret benefactor.

He finds evidence that one was born and passed through an orphanage that he has memories of. He goes there, finds the pages missing, and doesn't actually get closure until Freya tells him that it isn't him. It seems plausible that he could be the child right up until it's revealed that there is an entire operation watching over this kid and they're planning an uprising. He's completely unaware of this until he's told.

I don't see how it's a plot hole.

Yeah, it did seem plausible to me in the moment. And I still ascribe to the notion that he just believed it because he so desperately wanted it to be true anyway.

Arkanius

I'm watching the shorts right now.
I can't stop thinking about the movie or the universe. I'm loving all of this Cyberpunk wave in my veins.

NateDog

It's so much more. Almost every scene from the movie has a story board, concept art, set photos, and still shots from the movie. All that with write ups on everything to how they got the rights, wrote the script, picked the actors/actresses's. This is a very well thought out book. The baseline test has 4 pages dedicated to it.

I was able to get it on Barns and Noble website using Honey. It applied some coupon for me and ended up getting it for 27$ shipped. Well worth if you're a fan or collect art books.
Thanks for the info, it sounds great. It seems more expensive here (£40 on Amazon UK currently although maybe I'll somehow find an Irish retailer, there are a few others in the EU I can check). Sounds worth it regardless.

HariKari

I think we (K as well as we as the audience) know that someone was trying to actively hide the baby from the point where he notices that the DNA was identical, no? But I do suppose that doesn't necessarily mean that they did it for anything beyond giving the kid a chance at life.

The girl is listed as having died of "Galatians Syndrome." So he's looking for a male child, and believes it to possibly be himself. Only later is that death revealed to be deception.

Still though, the question then is: How do replicants end up at the LAPD? Surely they don't apply or anything like that. They're probably just purposefully made by the Wallace Corp for that use specifically, and go from the factory directly into duty. So how does K think he ended up with the Blade Runner organisation? It's possible that he think he was clandestinely inserted by some secret benefactor.

The police captain doesn't help matters. She notes that she's worked with a lot of K's type before but that he's different. If you believe that Deckard's daughter is a subcontractor and it isn't known that she's putting real memories into the replicants, it doesn't seem farfetched that K could end up a BR.

SkylineRKR

What did you guys think of Sylvia Hoeks? I'm also from Holland but never heard of her to be honest, thought she was menacing. Held her ground against behemoths such as Gosling and Ford.

Its kind of odd that the one they've been looking for is actually sort of working for Wallace. Yet they don't have the slightest idea.

Also, the movie has material for a sequel. Hope it won't be 35 years lol.

norinrad

I'm actually hoping the story ends here. I think everyone can pretty much fill in the blanks after watching this movie.

Loved it and I'm going back to the theater on Monday to watch it again. ;p

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
From the imdb trivia:

The initials of the wooden animals in Deckard's home spell Rachael's name - Rhinoceros, Antelope, Cat, Horse, Antelope, Elephant, Lion.

Didn't catch that.

Also I just remembered Covenant came out this year. Two iconic properties, one ruined with the original director returning and making a mess, the other with the perfect sequel. Also striking that both stand on the opposite of the spectrum of my theater experiences this year: Covenant was the worst, BR2049 easily the best.

SkylineRKR

From the imdb trivia:

Didn't catch that.

Also I just remembered Covenant came out this year. Two iconic properties, one ruined with the original director returning and making a mess, the other with the perfect sequel. Also striking that to me both stand one the opposite of the spectrum of my theater experiences this year: Covenant was the worst, BR2049 easily the best.

Yeah agreed. Glad Ridley didn't do this one.

EVOL 100%

I watched this today.

It's a bit too early to say this, but I think it surpassed the original, and the original is one of my favorite films of all time. I actually shed a few times during the film, it was surprising how emotional the film made me.

Sir Doom

Finally saw

Recent mainstream blockbuster have brainwashed me that I wanted to fast scenes and quick cuts.
This movie made me appreciate slow steady pace and good build up.

A lot of nice shots and colorful pallets. Also love the ambient music

LProtag

Saw it last night. Really really enjoyed it. Very glad they kept true to the original in terms of not making it a huge action film blockbuster like they could have, but also managed to expand on some of the ideas and not just retread old ground.

Also very glad that they didn't make things as obvious as it seemed like they were going to be as the movie went.

smisk

I hope this ends up being successful. My theater was pretty full last night, but I heard a couple groups of teenagers complaining about how nothing is explained and it's too slow on the way out.

I'm having a conversation with this guy on reddit, and he made this point that I'm having difficulty "refuting", for lack of a better term.

I don't understand. They didn't hide the kid in the Blade Runner organization. They dropped the kid at the orphanage and someone adopted it.

I don't understand. They didn't hide the kid in the Blade Runner organization. They dropped the kid at the orphanage and someone adopted it.

Maybe the guy went to the bathroom when the reveal happened, lol.

Ok I understand what he is saying that K should come to the logical conclusion that he is not the child, but isn’t this the best example of hiding in plain sight?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
From the imdb trivia:

Didn't catch that.

At this point then I am leaning more towards the wooden carvings being from Deckard and not old mementos he kept from Rachael.

It would also jive with Deckard's relation to Gaff. He makes origami animals, Deckard makes wooden ones. Both hunted replicants and preferred to be alone. It's like pottery. It rhymes.

Yeah agreed. Glad Ridley didn't do this one.

The story was mostly developed by Ridley and team. I would have liked to have seen his take as I’m sure the sets would have had that operatic jumble quality instead of stripped down more and the light would have been a lot less fixed.

I think it's the notion of getting the kid into the Blade Runner organization unnoticed that's a bit too difficult to believe for him. Which frankly, does make sense. Nexus 9 models aren't made as children, are they? At least, if we're to take that one scene with Wallace and that replicant-from-a-bag as the norm. So really, if they are just ready-made adult human beings at "birth", and are immediately shipped off to the LAPD, it'd be pretty much impossible for him to have ever lived in that orphanage, or even to have ever been a child. Unless of course, K's presuming that there are people working on the inside of the LAPD keeping him safe or whatever. And that could be a potential explanation as well.

But again, I can easily explain this away with K just really wanting to believe that this was true, as well as being convinced by the evidence that he had already collected. I think the difference between that guy and me is that I'm just going along with the flow and thought process of the main character, while he didn't.

Zakalwe

Banned
There's no doubt in my mind that this is true. BR2049 will prove to have staying power.

The Terminator - Terminator 2
The Godfather - The Godfather Part 2
Alien - Aliens
Mad Max Trilogy - Fury Road
Blade Runner - Blade Runner 2049

No question, imo.

We must have seen two different films. The audio for me was fantastic. The IMAX version was amazing and standard 2D sounded great.

KOHIPEET

Just came out of the cinema. I watched it for the second time and boi. It's even better than the first time.

This movie is really, really deep. I like how the hope for replicants to become equal to humans (via reproduction) is the very person who makes memories, to make their behaviour more human-like.

The child of an artificial woman lives her life in an artificial world giving memories (emotions) to artificial humans living in the real world.

My mind is buzzing. This is now officially my all time favorite movie.

My only minor concern is that while 98% of the soundtrack is just as perfect as the movie itself, there indeed are songs and parts in it which doesn't really fit the scene.

Other than that, this is the closet a movie ever came to being perfect.

Tuorom

Neo Member

Maybe the unicorn is Rachel?

Soundtrack

I can't stop listening to the soundtrack, it's so good. And every time I hear a loud muffler it reminds me of the movie lol, specifically the flight to LAPD track.

KOHIPEET

Maybe the unicorn is Rachel?

Soundtrack

I can't stop listening to the soundtrack, it's so good. And every time I hear a loud muffler it reminds me of the movie lol, specifically the flight to LAPD track.

Someone lived this.....

When I watched it for the second time, it legit brought tears to my eyes.

Tuorom

Neo Member
What did you guys think of Sylvia Hoeks? I'm also from Holland but never heard of her to be honest, thought she was menacing. Held her ground against behemoths such as Gosling and Ford.

She was fantastic, delivered a great performance. You never knew what she would do, she was pretty scary. She acted so much like a robot it was peculiar. Like when she is in the shuttle with Deckard, she has perfect posture and is just staring at him the whole time. Idk she was great.

Robot Pants

Just came out of the cinema. I watched it for the second time and boi. It's even better than the first time.

This movie is really, really deep. I like how the hope for replicants to become equal to humans (via reproduction) is the very person who makes memories, to make their behaviour more human-like.

The child of an artificial woman lives her life in an artificial world giving memories (emotions) to artificial humans living in the real world.

My mind is buzzing. This is now officially my all time favorite movie.

My only minor concern is that while 98% of the soundtrack is just as perfect as the movie itself, there indeed are songs and parts in it which doesn't really fit the scene.

Other than that, this is the closet a movie ever came to being perfect.
I’m with you.
It’s giving Fight Club a run for its money as my favorite of all time

Aselith

I think it's the notion of getting the kid into the Blade Runner organization unnoticed that's a bit too difficult to believe for him. Which frankly, does make sense. Nexus 9 models aren't made as children, are they? At least, if we're to take that one scene with Wallace and that replicant-from-a-bag as the norm. So really, if they are just ready-made adult human beings at "birth", and are immediately shipped off to the LAPD, it'd be pretty much impossible for him to have ever lived in that orphanage, or even to have ever been a child. Unless of course, K's presuming that there are people working on the inside of the LAPD keeping him safe or whatever. And that could be a potential explanation as well.

But again, I can easily explain this away with K just really wanting to believe that this was true, as well as being convinced by the evidence that he had already collected. I think the difference between that guy and me is that I'm just going along with the flow and thought process of the main character, while he didn't.

The way we remember things that happened before now are memories. Replicants have implanted memories. He thinks he was a child before he came to the LAPD because of an implanted memory. The way he uncovers his "past" kind of predisposes him to accept what he discovers since he is finding it out through his investigation rather than some third party relaying it.

Top Bottom