• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

MrS

Banned
yeah I know but I didn't think they physically aged

I wasn't really sure how it worked exactly

Was Roy batty created exactly as he looks when he expires or does he start as a babby
Started out as he looked because his lifespan was 4 years. However, Deckard and Batty aren't necessarily the same Nexus model of replicant, if Deckard is a replicant at all.

Is a child created by a human and a replicant, if Deckard is human, a human or a replicant? Is a child made between two replicants, if Deckard is a replicant, actually a replicant if it's born?

robotrock

Banned
replicants are supposed to be strong right? how comes K and deckard could have an even match in a fist fight if deckard isn't a replicant?

Jarmel

Banned
I know, I was arguing for why Deckard never runs through a wall. He wouldn't try something like that because he thinks he's human and to try to do so would be very dumb if he is human. And he probably doesn't want to find out.

Oh sorry. Yea Deckard is an odd case. The general assumption is that he himself thinks he's human.

replicants are supposed to be strong right? how comes K and deckard could have an even match in a fist fight if deckard isn't a replicant?

Not all replicants have super strength.

Seesaw15

K is willing to overlook those things because he's so desperate to be real. If you look at even the earlier parts of the film there's no way he was human. He went toe to toe with a military Replicant in the first scene and later broke someone's back like it was nothing. K was lying to himself for most of the movie because he was at wit's end.

I don't blame k for that. How do we know a Replicant baby/Replicant Human Hybrid isn't super strong? If its all bio-engineering that makes a Replicant strong then who's to say you couldn't inherent those traits.

Even fight? K was literally standing there taking hits until Deckard got tired and he was much faster and stronger. People need to get over this idea of Deckard being s replicant. It doesn't add anything, nor does it make sense from what we're shown, or thematically

K is willing to overlook those things because he's so desperate to be real. If you look at even the earlier parts of the film there's no way he was human. He went toe to toe with a military Replicant in the first scene and later broke someone's back like it was nothing. K was lying to himself for most of the movie because he was at wit's end.
Him wanting to be "real" is not about wanting to be "human". Being real mean being born, being unique, having a past, an identity beyond whatever some engineer put in your head.

Replicants are already human. That's what makes the oppression and dehumanization and control of them so tragic

III-V

Roy Batty destroys walls and he's a 6. Also, Freya says that Sapper let himself be killed.
That’s right, and he was much stronger than Decard. There are also different strengths among the same generation models, some more intelligent, some stronger, like Leon. Roy was seemingly both.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
7's seem to be the "lets make these dudes exactly like humans" models, so it seems like they wouldn't have superior strength like the 6's and the only reason Sapper did was because he was build to be a big ass dude.

Bulby

If Deckard is really is a replicant, then he was the most convincing one they made.

All the known replicants acted in a way that was definitely not quite right.

Still Im on the Deckard is human side.

Replicants are engineered for different roles, not all are super strong, Roy was significantly stronger than Priss or Zora as he was a combat model. Deckard might have been engineered to be like a normal human being.

If he's human, then the emotional core is him realizing that human or replicant doesn't matter, character development from him earlier seeing replicants as just tools like his toaster. He doesn't need to be a replicant for that theme to work
Yes, again, I agree. But the audience needs to countenance the possibility that Deckard is a replicant rather than a human in order to reject, as Deckard eventually does, the false dichotomy. This is kind of essential to the movie. It's why the paper unicorn is placed there at the end.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why could Rachael conceive a child if she's a replicant?

If the replicant theory is true it is obvious that both her and Deckard are custom models made by Tyrell as a new Adam and Eve so to speak, having a natural lifespan so he could take care of her and their babies makes perfect sense.

It is such a ridiculous idea that Deckard was created and setup to meet Rachel and have babies. Like, holy shit, so dumb. Rewatch the first movie with that idea in mind when you watch Tyrell's interactions with both, it is really an unimaginably stupid idea.

It feels like it was just to give an excuse to support the idea that Deckard is a replicant, otherwise why would he have been one if his job was to kill replicants? Ha ha! It was a ruse by Tyrell, he was a replicant so he would meet Rachel and have babies with her after being sent to kill her by the LAPD!

Such a Ridley Scott idea.

robotrock

Banned
Why did Wallace gut the latest model? Because he was raging that like every other replicant, she couldn't procreate?

because his character sucks man. Ahhhhhhhhh angry rich scifi dude gonna rage aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah he's got the worst fuckin lines in the movie aaaaaaaaaaaah Jared Leto was born for this role.

mcfrank

“Deckard is a replicant” people remind me of the conscipiricy theorists in the Vegas shooting thread.

Great movie. Deakins is a god.

caesar

Banned
That’s right, and he was much stronger than Decard. There are also different strengths among the same generation models, some more intelligent, some stronger, like Leon. Roy was seemingly both.

Wasn't Roy some kind of combat model?

nynt9

If Deckard is really is a replicant, then he was the most convincing one they made.

All the known replicants acted in a way that was definitely not quite right.

Still Im on the Deckard is human side.

Which is amusing considering Harrison Ford's acting. But if he was an experiment like Wallace supposes, he could have been engineered differently. Most replicants know they are replicants, so their behavior might be subconsciously affected by that. Rick thanks he's definitely human, so he can inherently convince himself.

It is such a ridiculous idea that Deckard was created and setup to meet Rachel and have babies. Like, holy shit, so dumb. Rewatch the first movie with that idea in mind when you watch Tyrell's interactions with both, it is really an unimaginably stupid idea.

It feels like it was just to give an excuse to support the idea that Deckard is a replicant, otherwise why would he have been one if his job was to kill replicants? Ha ha! It was a ruse by Tyrell, he was a replicant so he would meet Rachel and have babies with her after being sent to kill her by the LAPD!

Such a Ridley Scott idea.

I don't think the movie wants you to believe that. It's just Wallace messing with Rick.

It is such a ridiculous idea that Deckard was created and setup to meet Rachel and have babies. Like, holy shit, so dumb.
For what it's worth, I don't think the movie is stating that to be the truth; I think Wallace is just trying to break Deckard down to a place where he'll accept the fake Rachael and give up what he knows.

Jarmel

Banned
Him wanting to be "real" is not about wanting to be "human". Being real mean being born, having a past, an identity beyond whatever some engineer put in your head.

Replicants are already human. That's what makes the oppression and dehumanization and control of them so tragic

I get what you're saying. I'm pretty much using shorthand and equating humans with real. The replicants are by all accounts human at this stage.

I don't blame k for that. How do we know a Replicant baby/Replicant Human Hybrid isn't super strong? If its all bio-engineering that makes a Replicant strong then who's to say you couldn't inherent those traits.

Hmmm, I didn't consider that.

MrS

Banned
People need to get over this idea of Deckard being s replicant. It doesn't add anything, nor does it make sense from what we're shown, or thematically
This is such rubbish. He's the main character in the series and Wallace even alludes to the possibility of Deckard being a replicant. Why would they put that in the script and the film if they didn't want anybody to think about and discuss the subject? It's good that the film poses questions and leaves the answers ambiguous. Stop trying to stifle conversation.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why did Wallace gut the latest model? Because he was raging that like every other replicant, she couldn’t procreate?

That's what I was wondering, too.

My guess is that he was actively making new models to see if they could get pregnant, and he checked to see if that one could and when he saw she couldn't, he had no use for her. At least I would assume but then again, is he just going by trial and error with this whole procreation thing?

Seesaw15

Yes, again, I agree. But the audience needs to countenance the possibility that Deckard is a replicant rather than a human in order to reject, as Deckard eventually does, the false dichotomy. This is kind of essential to the movie. It's why the paper unicorn is placed there at the end.

Not really.That paper unicorn only gains that implication in the directors cut. Before it was just to show that Gaff had been in the house.

Roy Batty's soliloquy really did wonders at making the world we see in Blade Runner feel like some small irrelevant corner of a much grander world

It's easy to forget when watching either Blade Runner that humanity had spread to the stars and there is space travel and space vessels and civilizations on other planets

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
For what it's worth, I don't think the movie is stating that to be the truth; I think Wallace is just trying to break Deckard down to a place where he'll accept the fake Rachael and give up what he knows.

What would it matter if he accepted the fake Rachel? Was he supposed to try and mate with her?

Spenny

Oh, definitely. I was arguing against your claim that subsequent generations are inherently stronger.

nynt9

Not really.That paper unicorn only gains that implication in the directors cut. Before it was just to show that Gaff had been in the house.

There's plenty indication in the theatrical cut to Deckard's origin being ambiguous: https://www.quora.com/Was-Deckard-a-replicant-in-Blade-Runner

What would it matter if he accepted the fake Rachel? Was he supposed to try and mate with her?

It was there to emotionally manipulate him. No real end goal. Just to get him to break down and tell Wallace where the daughter is. Wallace didn't know that Deckard didn't know. He was trying to get info out of him so that he can capture and examine the daughter.

Rydeen

Wasn't Roy some kind of combat model?

Yes, Roy was a combat model so he was intelligent as well as strong, and Leon was a heavy loader / slave labor model, hence his strength, but low intelligence.

All of the replicants in the original film were genetically designed for various slave labor in the off-world colonies, same with Bautista's character, who I believe they mention is also a combat model.

“Deckard is a replicant” people remind me of the conscipiricy theorists in the Vegas shooting thread.
Yeah, it is a conspiracy to treat at face value the unicorn dream/origami connection; Deckard describing Rachael's spider memory to her; and Gaff's line about "then again who does?" being repeated as the last thing we hear at the end of the movie.

People who can't accept ambiguity are the real villains. Both movies are more interesting when Deckard being a replicant is a possibility--but not a certainty.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Roy Batty's soliloquy really did wonders at making the world we see in Blade Runner feel like some small irrelevant corner of a much grander world

It's easy to forget when watching either Blade Runner that humanity had spread to the stars and there is space travel and space vessels and civilizations on other planets

Yep, and it never felt the need to show it (although originally we were supposed to see them escape the colony in the movie's intro). BR2049 really shrunk the universe sadly. Not physically, but thematically.

nynt9

Yeah, it is a conspiracy to treat at face value the unicorn dream/origami connection; Deckard describing Rachael's spider memory to her; and Gaff's line about "then again who does?" being repeated as the last thing we hear at the end of the movie.

People who can't accept ambiguity are the real villains. Both movies are more interesting when Deckard being a replicant is a possibility--but not a certainty.

It's a shame really, these movies have many layers and implications and some people just don't seem to pick up on them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There's plenty indication in the theatrical cut to Deckard's origin being ambiguous: https://www.quora.com/Was-Deckard-a-replicant-in-Blade-Runner

It was there to emotionally manipulate him. No real end goal. Just to get him to break down and tell Wallace where the daughter is. Wallace didn't know that Deckard didn't know. He was trying to get info out of him so that he can capture and examine the daughter.

For someone who whined that it took too long to create replicants, he sure created Rachel quickly!

Deckard's words about knowing what's real mean that it ultimately doesn't matter whether he's a replicant or not, it is left ambiguous for a reason.

A big part of the movie is about life not being so much about who you are but what you do, in the end being the chosen one or not didn't do shit for K, it was his will to sacrifice himself for others what made him real, just like choosing to save Deckard turned Roy into someone more human and emphatic than everyone in the first movie despite him being a replicant.

Deckard loved Rachel and they had a child, whether those feelings were natural or programmed doesn't change anything, him being human or not doesn't change anything. That's the point IMHO.

robotrock

Banned
Why does the unicorn in the ending of BR final cut add more to the idea that deckard is a replicant? i know gaff was fiddling with that stuff all the time.

nynt9

For someone who whined that it took too long to create replicants, he sure created Rachel quickly!

I mean, he can create one rather quickly, but that doesnt mean he can mass produce them easily. Scale of production is a real issue. I can make one sandwich very fast but it will take me forever to make a thousand sandwiches.

Why does the unicorn in the ending of BR final cut add more to the idea that deckard is a replicant? i know gaff was fiddling with that stuff all the time.

It implies that Gaff knows what Deckard dreams of, because theyre both replicants and share dreams. Or maybe it's just a coincidence. The ambiguity is the beauty of it.

Yep, and it never felt the need to show it (although originally we were supposed to see them escape the colony in the movie's intro). BR2049 really shrunk the universe sadly. Not physically, but thematically.
In what way?

Although I really can't blame Denis or the writers here, since that amazing moment was improvised by Hauer and performed perfectly by him. Near impossible to recapture that lighting in a bottle

Rydeen

It's a shame really, these movies have many layers and implications and some people just don't seem to pick up on them.

Exactly, I think Hampton Fancher put it beautifully in Dangerous Days "What's interesting isn't the answer, it's the question."

For me, the ambiguity of whether Deckard is or isn't a replicant adds to the world building, and the sense of paranoia the world of the film puts into you. Who's to say everyone on Earth isn't just a replicant with false memories that's allowed to exist in society? How deep does the rabbit hole go?

I always liked the idea of the cut scene where it turns out Tyrell himself was also a replicant, and Sebastian takes Roy to see the cryogenically frozen Tyrell at the top of the company's HQ, it just all adds to the tapestry of a world where everyone has to question their daily existence.

nynt9

Exactly, I think Hampton Fancher put it beautifully in Dangerous Days "What's interesting isn't the answer, it's the question."

For me, the ambiguity of whether Deckard is or isn't a replicant adds to the world building, and the sense of paranoia the world of the film puts into you. Who's to say everyone on Earth isn't just a replicant with false memories that's allowed to exist in society? How deep does the rabbit hole go?

I always liked the idea of the cut scene where it turns out Tyrell himself was also a replicant, and Sebastian takes Roy to see the cryogenically frozen Tyrell at the top of the company's HQ, it just all adds to the tapestry of a world where everyone has to question their daily existence.

Yep. I think that when a movie doesn't answer a question, it forces you to think about the answer and you can really explore the implications and consider all the possible evidence in the movie (if it's a well made movie). Giving you the answer short circuits that process so you don't really internalize the dilemma.

Top Bottom