• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

teiresias

i think ludwig (the second half) is the most iconic fight i've ever had in bloodborne, maybe in any game

I still prefer Ebrietas, if not mechanically, but for just being awesome in presentation. That and it's really the only overtly "cosmos"-based boss. I wish the game went more into the cosmic horror side of design than it did.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I still prefer Ebrietas, if not mechanically, but for just being awesome in presentation. That and it's really the only overtly "cosmos"-based boss. I wish the game went more into the cosmic horror side of design than it did.

ebrietas is the closest that the game comes art style wise to proper lovecraftian cosmic horror for sure

Edzi

Yeah, there's something special about that fight. It really feels like a culmination of the game's cosmic horror themes, especially with that incredible music.

teiresias

OMG, seriously, screw this Orphan fight!! I finally beat the bastard after getting the first half down (which really isn't all that hard actually, he gives you ample opportunities for viscerals), but that damn second half!! My god, it's like the most ridiculous luck-of-the-draw ever. I made sure to start a new recording of every fight though, as I knew I'd want to upload it when I finally beat it. At the end had no more blood vials and only a little bit of health and went in for one last desperate barrage and finally got him. If I'd died then I probably would have thrown a controller for the first time in two decades, haha.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
bloodborne has entered the pantheon for me. i don't really like any of the souls games much but it's as close to perfect as any action game i've played.

Ardenyal

I'm on my first playthrough and just beat
_______Vicar Amelia______
and got the Blood-driven Hunter Eye.

When is the best moment to play the DLC ? Thanks.

The DLC is, in my opinion, scaled to be slightly more difficult than the optional bosses in vanilla. First boss especially works as sort of a gatekeeper.

You can take a peek and go back to beating other bosses if the going seems too rough for your level.

The DLC is, in my opinion, scaled to be slightly more difficult than the optional bosses in vanilla. First boss especially works as sort of a gatekeeper.

You can take a peek and go back to beating other bosses if the going seems too rough for your level.

I took a peek alright and got destroyed by the first ennemy hunters ha ha.

bloodborne has entered the pantheon for me. i don't really like any of the souls games much but it's as close to perfect as any action game i've played.

I agree. Bloodborne ticks all the boxes. It isn't only a fun and engaging game (I couldn't play or think of any other game while playing it) but it's world design, monster/character design, lore, music and everything else just fits and works wonderfully.

I just finished DS3 and compared to BB, what a let down. I have only played those two and BB is far and beyond.

chefbags

Just got the bloodborne dlc, and my brother on his account (US account, I live in CA) can't access the dlc. Only can grab the old hunters bell and can't see the eye of the blood drunken nightmare item. Is there a known fix for this? Or does my brother just has to do to NG+ to beat vicar Amelia again?

Thanks in advance. Brother is super pissed that he can't access it so any help would be welcome.

rtcn63

Did they ever fix the Kirhammer's weird AOE thing that caused it to do relatively little damage if the weapon doesn't hit straight on? I'm doing a new character and I want to use different weapons, so maybe the Kirkhammer until I can access the DLC.

WhiteWolf

Did they ever fix the Kirhammer's weird AOE thing that caused it to do relatively little damage if the weapon doesn't hit straight on? I'm doing a new character and I want to use different weapons, so maybe the Kirkhammer until I can access the DLC.
It still has that sweet spot mechanic (scythes also have this in Dark Souls 3). I hate it and it's the main reason I won't use the Kirkhammer. Logarius' Wheel is a great strength weapon to use, along with the axe, until you can get Whirligig Saw.

rtcn63

It still has that sweet spot mechanic (scythes also have this in Dark Souls 3). I hate it and it's the main reason I won't use the Kirkhammer. Logarius' Wheel is a great strength weapon to use, along with the axe, until you can get Whirligig Saw.

The mechanic just doesn't make sense to me considering you get the Holy Blade not much later. (Which is more consistent with regards to damage) The Kirk is aesthetically the most interesting weapon in the game, yet functionally it's outclassed almost right away.

I picked up the game after a long time and started playing. I'd never really made use of the multiplayer, so when I noticed a shiny glowing thing in the corner I went and accidentally summoned an NPC before the next boss fight. This would be fine if I had more than 16 blood vials.
And I suck at taking out the enemies just before the next boss. The ones with the ... partitioned ... logs ... Whatever those weapons are.
Oops.

If he dies is he gone forever?

Question re: vanilla.

OK, I just made it to the outskirts of the Cathedral Ward area (looks like a forest area is upcoming to the left), and to the right there is an enemy wielding a lightning/thunder-stick (with two other dudes) and he seriously takes almost no damage. I'm level 35, iirc, right now... am I underleveled for this part of the game? Where should I be going instead?

Melchiah

Question re: vanilla.

OK, I just made it to the outskirts of the Cathedral Ward area (looks like a forest area is upcoming to the left), and to the right there is an enemy wielding a lightning/thunder-stick (with two other dudes) and he seriously takes almost no damage. I'm level 35, iirc, right now... am I underleveled for this part of the game? Where should I be going instead?

To the forest on the left.

I asked this in the other thread but it doesn't seem as active:

Is the game still active at all?

Can you coop a boss after you killed it?

I played through the game at launch and was never able to get coop to work then, so I must be doing something wrong.

Ardenyal

I asked this in the other thread but it doesn't seem as active:

Is the game still active at all?

Can you coop a boss after you killed it?

I played through the game at launch and was never able to get coop to work then, so I must be doing something wrong.

If you want to help others then yes the game is active. If you want others to help you then it's going to be pretty quiet.

Yes you can help others beat a boss after beating it in your own world.

I'm pretty bad at the game, but I managed to figure out how to get to the Vicar Amelia without fighting any enemies so I could just try and die over and over again. Somehow I found it hard to gauge which direction was best to avoid the jump attack. Against my intuition, backwards seemed to be safer, but when I was able to dodge forward I used it to my advantage.

I got to a "fuck it I'm clearly not skilled enough to play a more demanding Dark Souls (which allows me to be more methodical due to the shield), said "one last time" and beat it. @_@;

But god the boss music in this game is repetitive.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to give a shout out to Jerks Sans Frontieres, his channel goes very in depth with Bloodborne lore. His section on the DLC helped me understand it a lot better.

Fantastic channel. I have a feeling a lot of his theories regarding the language used are sheer coincidence, but it's fun to think about. I really enjoy his "wildlife documentary" approach (and the accent helps to make it more authentic, hehe).

myco666

I'm pretty bad at the game, but I managed to figure out how to get to the Vicar Amelia without fighting any enemies so I could just try and die over and over again. Somehow I found it hard to gauge which direction was best to avoid the jump attack. Against my intuition, backwards seemed to be safer, but when I was able to dodge forward I used it to my advantage.

I got to a "fuck it I'm clearly not skilled enough to play a more demanding Dark Souls (which allows me to be more methodical due to the shield), said "one last time" and beat it. @_@;

But god the boss music in this game is repetitive.

Well thats a new one. I thought it was varied enough and bosses have very distinctive tracks. If you think VA boss theme is repetitive it might be because it is the same track as in Cleric Beast fight.

But yeah dodging into attacks is usually the better option since you can go into offense immediately. Only reason to dodge away from enemies is if you have low health and want to heal.

Does anyone have a good list that ranks the bosses in terms of difficulty? I've beat the main game and DLC (finishing up NG+ right now). Not sure if the Chalice Dungeon bosses are going to give me trouble.

EDIT: Damn, wrong thread. I thought this was the general Bloodborne thread.

SDR-UK

Does anyone have a good list that ranks the bosses in terms of difficulty? I've beat the main game and DLC (finishing up NG+ right now). Not sure if the Chalice Dungeon bosses are going to give me trouble.

Usually everyone struggles on the Defiled Chalice with the Watchdog and Amygdala. Other than that? Maybe the Pthumerian Queen but everything else is alright as far as I can recall anyway.

Usually everyone struggles on the Defiled Chalice with the Watchdog and Amygdala. Other than that? Maybe the Pthumerian Queen but everything else is alright as far as I can recall anyway.

I'm actually making my way through the Defiled Chalice right now. A few days ago I beat the first boss, not looking forward to the others. Really cheap how they half your health in this area.

SDR-UK

I'm actually making my way through the Defiled Chalice right now. A few days ago I beat the first boss, not looking forward to the others. Really cheap how they half your health in this area.

Yeah it really is a grind but rest assured, once you have completed that dungeon, you have beaten the absolute hardest thing that Bloodborne throws at you.

Don't be afraid to try and get help either, if you need it.

pa22word

Got suuuper lucky earlier getting Rakuyo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35VPE3ty6ow

Only took me three attempts! Worth it too because I love the weapon. Overall I have to thank whoever it was who recommended I try the game out again with the DLC + recent patches as I hadn't played it since about 3-4 months after it came out. This time around due to the added variety the DLC gave to the game took the game from a one-and-done to a 3+ run game now. I still abhor the decision to lock you out of the final boss unless you want to end your run, but eh...no one's perfect ;)

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to farm insight? I have a few more weapons I want to take further and want to know if I can other than NG+

Speaking of which, is NG+ worth it in this game? After DS3's dreadful NG+ model I thought I should ask before jumping into it prematurely when I could be trying out chalice dungeon stuff instead.

Melchiah

Pthumerian Descendant (Ihyll chalice), Orphan of Kos, Laurence, Abhorrent Beast, and the (Headless) Bloodletting Beast (Ihyll chalice) for me. Amygdala and Watchdog of the Old Lords in the Defiled chalice were easier for me, as they were less aggressive and more a test of patience.

myco666

Got suuuper lucky earlier getting Rakuyo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35VPE3ty6ow

Only took me three attempts! Worth it too because I love the weapon. Overall I have to thank whoever it was who recommended I try the game out again with the DLC + recent patches as I hadn't played it since about 3-4 months after it came out. This time around due to the added variety the DLC gave to the game took the game from a one-and-done to a 3+ run game now. I still abhor the decision to lock you out of the final boss unless you want to end your run, but eh...no one's perfect ;)

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to farm insight? I have a few more weapons I want to take further and want to know if I can other than NG+

Speaking of which, is NG+ worth it in this game? After DS3's dreadful NG+ model I thought I should ask before jumping into it prematurely when I could be trying out chalice dungeon stuff instead.

I don't think enemies drop insight so only way to farm it is to either help other people via coop, invade or go through chalices. You should get enough insight from just going through the game and using all madmans knowledge to get 5-6 +10 weapons.

NG+ is very lame. Just a difficulty bumb. It is much better difficulty bumb than Souls games but there is nothing new added. You get worthless coldblood and gems since they are exactly the same as they were in NG.

Pthumerian Descendant (Ihyll chalice), Orphan of Kos, Laurence, Abhorrent Beast, and the (Headless) Bloodletting Beast (Ihyll chalice) for me. Amygdala and Watchdog of the Old Lords in the Defiled chalice were easier for me, as they were less aggressive and more a test of patience.

I beat the Defiled Chalice last night and figured all the tough bosses were over! I was totally ready to breeze through the rest of the game, haha.

Melchiah

I beat the Defiled Chalice last night and figured all the tough bosses were over! I was totally ready to breeze through the rest of the game, haha.

It varies between the players, but Pthumerian Descendant is harder than anything else in the chalices for me. I've never managed to beat him solo. If you beat Abhorrent Beast in hand-to-hand combat, instead of cheesing with poison knives and Bone Marrow Ash, you might not have such hard time as I did.

It varies between the players, but Pthumerian Descendant is harder than anything else in the chalices for me. I've never managed to beat him solo. If you beat Abhorrent Beast in hand-to-hand combat, instead of cheesing with poison knives and Bone Marrow Ash, you might not have such hard time as I did.

Thanks for the info! I'll try this out soon. I've been going down the list of Chalices in my inventory one by one. Is there a specific order I should be concentrating on instead?

No joke, I was trying to find this EXACT post but I couldn't find it. I knew that I read it before. Thanks!

pa22word

I don't think enemies drop insight so only way to farm it is to either help other people via coop, invade or go through chalices. You should get enough insight from just going through the game and using all madmans knowledge to get 5-6 +10 weapons.

NG+ is very lame. Just a difficulty bumb. It is much better difficulty bumb than Souls games but there is nothing new added. You get worthless coldblood and gems since they are exactly the same as they were in NG.
Thanks for the info! Will probably just skip ng+ then, considering doom is right around the corner anyways.

Also, @morrigan: shocking to see orphan so high on that list. I thought the boss was pretty underwhelming myself. Lady Maria rocked me hard though. Only time in the entire game I ended up having to go farm vials >.<

Laurence took me three attempts only because I didn't realize until the last attempt I could lock onto his damned body v.V

Ludwig I thought was a perfect example of the boss design I hate in this game. First phase is just camera dickery in the highest order, while the second phase was awesome. Such a weird contrast considering it's all the same boss. Took me four attempts, but all 3 times I died on the first phase because my health bar just evaporated in front my eyes because of a random blind rage attack.

Ludwig reminds me a lot of
ocerios
in ds3. I've never actually died to that boss, but every time I fight him I basically look to the sky and pray the camera doesn't fuck me in the ass because his movements are so wildly unpredictable in the way he constantly jumps all over the screen.

Melchiah

Thanks for the info! I'll try this out soon. I've been going down the list of Chalices in my inventory one by one. Is there a specific order I should be concentrating on instead?

I think you can skip the Hintertomb chalices, but I'm not sure if you need the materials from them. To my recollection there's only one order of doing the later (non-root) chalices, as you don't have access to them before clearing the preceding ones.

EDIT:
Also, @morrigan: shocking to see orphan so high on that list. I thought the boss was pretty underwhelming myself. Lady Maria rocked me hard though. Only time in the entire game I ended up having to go farm vials >.<

Maria is pretty easy when you figure out the timing for parry. Orphan is less predictable and harder to parry, especially in the second form. I had to raise my levels quite a bit to be able to defeat him, and even then it felt like I was lucky to win.

Orcastar

Thanks for the info! Will probably just skip ng+ then, considering doom is right around the corner anyways.

Laurence took me three attempts only because I didn't realize until the last attempt I could lock onto his damned body v.V

Ludwig I thought was a perfect example of the boss design I hate in this game. First phase is just camera dickery in the highest order, while the second phase was awesome. Such a weird contrast considering it's all the same boss. Took me four attempts, but all 3 times I died on the first phase because my health bar just evaporated in front my eyes because of a random blind rage attack.

Ludwig reminds me a lot of
ocerios
in ds3. I've never actually died to that boss, but every time I fight him I basically look to the sky and pray the camera doesn't fuck me in the ass because his movements are so wildly unpredictable in the way he constantly jumps all over the screen.
I just finished my first playthrough of The Old Hunters the other day and thought that Maria was easy as hell compared to Ludwig, OoK and Laurence. Ludwig took me around 15 or so attempts, and initially felt almost impossible, even after I had just breezed through all the bosses in Dark Souls 3 without much trouble and my second playthrough of Bloodborne (sans Moon Presence). OoK felt a bit easier and only took around 10 attempts, while Laurence only took 5 (though that was with Valtr). Maria, on the other hand, only took me 3 attempts and never felt particuarly difficult. She basically felt like a slightly different version of the second phase of the
Abyss Watchers
fight in Dark Souls 3.

pa22word

EDIT:

Maria is pretty easy when you figure out the timing for parry. Orphan is less predictable and harder to parry, especially in the second form. I had to raise my levels quite a bit to be able to defeat him, and even then it felt like I was lucky to win.

I just had /such/ a hard time getting her parry frames down. I honestly don't know why. I mean I took at least 50% off Orphan's health bar purely with parries and casually beat him in 2 non-sequential attempts. I think some of it had to do with me being ultra conservative with upgrade materials. I only had two +8 weapons on me because I was saving them all for Simon's bowblade + Rakuyo.

Also, @Orcastar: I actually really agree with you there. The fight is a lot--almost a 1:1 copy now that I think about it--like watchers if that fight actually had a health bar. Same no poise boss you can largely just waylay to death + very similar moves. Which waylaying her to death is basically what I resorted to after I'd bashed my head in trying to parry her to death unsucessfully for about 8 attempts.

My final attempt count for the DLC bosses was something like:

Ludwig: 4
Living Failures: 2
Maria: 10
Orphan: 2
Lawrence: 3

Lawrence I thought was shockingly painless after I'd heard so much about him being so hard. First phase you can just chip him out by staying behind him and the second phase you can chip him out between lava spews and just smash him while he charges the lava spew in the second phase. The main issue I had with him in the first two attemps was the camera was fucking me hard because I didn't know you could lock onto his body vs his head, so the sweeping attacks were really hard to see coming from that angle >.< Felt like such an idiot when I swiped down and saw I could do his body vs his head, lol

Melchiah

I just had /such/ a hard time getting her parry frames down. I honestly don't know why. I mean I took at least 50% off Orphan's health bar purely with parries and casually beat him in 2 non-sequential attempts. I think some of it had to do with me being ultra conservative with upgrade materials. I only had two +8 weapons on me because I was saving them all for Simon's bowblade + Rakuyo.

Yeah, it differs a bit from some of the others bosses and regular enemies, and it's better to move to the side while she's recovering in the second phase. The second phase of DS3's A
byss Watchers
was pretty hard for me, as I haven't learned how to parry consistently with a shield.

Getting Orphan to 50% with Clawmark-powered parries was doable for me as well, but after that shit hit the fan.

rtcn63

Stopped for a week after getting tired of those damn dudebro sharks, and made a half-hour worth of attempts at Kos. Just stuck with my "be aggressive and dodge into/away from attacks" strategy and things turned out well. Still have Laurence, but I saved him for last in my first playthrough too. He's probably going to need the beast cutter.

Top Bottom