• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night |OT| What is a Kickstarter?!?! A Miserable Pile of Delays!

Played, disappointed, the game has no Magic and the art Style is ugly. The combat is poor but sotn combat was also poor so everything about sotn is better than this game. There are better and more innovative games in the genre right now like Hollow knight.

So, Symphony of the night still may fav game ever, thanks ps2 and its backwards compatibility.

Last edited:

Vlaphor

I've put about three hours into the game so far and am liking it quite a bit. That being said, graphically it probably could've been done on the original Xbox, but I still think it look alright. Also, I found an 8-bit coin early, which I traded in for a flaming ax which has rendered most of the combat so far fairly easy. That, and the stained glass boss bugged out on me and would only stand in one place and just change the direction it was facing. Still, I think it's pretty good.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got a PC copy from a friend of mine - what an awesome gift!

Game is a lot of fun so far, mechanically it feels really great. I like the level up system (what I've seen of it so far) and graphically it's not super pretty but the 60fps gameplay on the PC more than makes up for it in my book.

The only thing I've noticed that's kinda weird is that the ultrawide monitor support is... weird. The game itself is limited to 2560x1440 (so I have black bars on the left/right) which is fine, except some of the UI elements overlap outside of the main screen. The mini-map, for example, mostly exists in the black bar to the right (along with some sort of blue / red ribbons?).

ApHbQLf.png

When I absorb a shard, it covers the whole screen. I'm not complaining or anything, it's just a really weird implementation.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Seems my ps4 copy is still on the mail :D

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Finally able to put some time in to this and really liking so far, little janky but still pretty damn fun.

JohannCK

So Japan's version of the game has been delayed for an undetermined amount of time and they're handling this by giving out Steam codes to the Japanese version's backers. Except that because PC gaming isn't very widespread in Japan, many people quite simply cannot run the game on PC, and that's why they backed console versions, thus handing out Steam keys to them doesn't help in the slightest.

My good laptop broke down a couple of years back and I can't run it myself (all I have right now is a laptop that I mainly use for work) so I'm one of the people for whom the Steam code is useless, so I tried asking via e-mail if I could get a PS4 code for another region instead. They took ages to answer and when they finally did it was a copypaste of the previous Kickstarter post that didn't even answer the question I was asking them.

The fact that they apparently released the game in retail early in NA which resulted in import stores over here already having it, meaning that people who DIDN'T back the game can just go out and buy it right now (Japanese language is already fully implemented) is just rubbing salt into the wound at this point.

Not to mention how the import copy was running for around 4800-5400 yen = $44-49, which is more than what the US version costs... But still less than the Japanese version's retail price of 5500 yen = $50. (The price has seemingly gone up now that people have realised that it's been delayed and they aren't getting their backer copies)

The very least they could have done is offer us codes for the platform we backed to begin with, even if it's for another region, since just registering an account for another region would be way easier than getting a new computer.

I'm very disappointed at how they're handling this.

Last edited:

Manus

Got a PC copy from a friend of mine - what an awesome gift!

Game is a lot of fun so far, mechanically it feels really great. I like the level up system (what I've seen of it so far) and graphically it's not super pretty but the 60fps gameplay on the PC more than makes up for it in my book.

The only thing I've noticed that's kinda weird is that the ultrawide monitor support is... weird. The game itself is limited to 2560x1440 (so I have black bars on the left/right) which is fine, except some of the UI elements overlap outside of the main screen. The mini-map, for example, mostly exists in the black bar to the right (along with some sort of blue / red ribbons?).

When I absorb a shard, it covers the whole screen. I'm not complaining or anything, it's just a really weird implementation.

Here's a fix I'm using for Ultra Wide.

Game is awesome so far, but I'm running into a crash on PC when opening up random lore books. Happened twice so far in ~3 hours.

Last edited:

rubhen925

So if people are struggling with bosses, I highly suggest getting the pig and floating painting shards. You can launch multiple pigs that fly around and hurt bosses and enemies repeatedly. The painting when upgraded will constantly revolve around the main character and shield her from enemies and also constantly damage the bosses. With higher ranks, more painting will spawn.

I've left a video in the spoiler for Boss 5 where I show these two shard powers in action, incase people are wondering the validity of these powers. I'm not really good with these type of games much, so excuse my gameplay. My dodges need work

Cheers

Boss - Valac

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So if people are struggling with bosses, I highly suggest getting the pig and floating painting shards. You can launch multiple pigs that fly around and hurt bosses and enemies repeatedly. The painting when upgraded will constantly revolve around the main character and shield her from enemies and also constantly damage the bosses. With higher ranks, more painting will spawn.

I've left a video in the spoiler for Boss 5 where I show these two shard powers in action, incase people are wondering the validity of these powers. I'm not really good with these type of games much, so excuse my gameplay. My dodges need work

Cheers

Boss - Valac

Have you tried that sword knight shard? That dude with the chainsaw like sword.

I MELT bosses with that thing enabled its mad

Barakov

Just did the second boss and I'm hooked. Graphically it's pretty rough but the gameplay and music are on point. Also gives me an Order of Ecclesia vibe so I'm digging that. Makes sense given who's developing it but still.

Ogbert

I don’t actually think it’s that ugly. The art style is inconsistent, yes, so certain screens are jarring. And the 3D sections are a bit naff. But there are some genuinely beautiful moments too.

I caved and got it on PSN despite being a backer. I'll gift my code to a friend of mine who was interested anyway.

2nd boss rocked me, until I discovered the power of pizza! If this continues to be this good...fuck it might truly dethrone Symphony of the Night as the apex of the genre. And I truly meant that.

Aria of Sorrow already did it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don’t actually think it’s that ugly. The art style is inconsistent, yes, so certain screens are jarring. And the 3D sections are a bit naff. But there are some genuinely beautiful moments too.

Yeah, the game's ugly is frontloaded for the most part. It looks a lot better in the later areas.

Pejo

Gold Member
Whew, I need to get to bed. This is the most fun I've had with a game in forever. It's not a looker until it is somehow, but my god it feels like a direct sequel to SotN. I'm loving the various systems and secret moves of weapons. The 3 step rekka-ish move with a few of the katanas is a lot of fun. I spent way too much time farming shards just to see what they do, lol.

I'll comment more tomorrow but this is exactly the game I hoped we'd get when I backed the kickstarter. Iga delivered big time.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Played a bit just now, three bosses down. It's ugly, really ugly, but has that Igavania charm. Seems to be a ton of unique abilities and an interesting upgrade/crafting system.

The camp is dialed to 11. :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:
Yep, art design is kinda horrible but this game is the closest thing to sotn.

Dontero

Banned
Played a bit just now, three bosses down. It's ugly, really ugly, but has that Igavania charm. Seems to be a ton of unique abilities and an interesting upgrade/crafting system.

The camp is dialed to 11. :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

Imho environment look v.good. Monsters animations are the the worst part. But "worst" part doesn't mean bad. Just mediacore.

Gameplay wise it is imho so far best igavania.

1. On normal it is harder than SOTN/ARIA/DAWN and has 3 def levels.
2. You can't spam healing potions because they are behind money and that money doesn't replenish fast.
3. Bosses are pure incline so far.
4. Castle design is a lot like SOTN rather than ARIA or DAWN which is plus, so more exploration and verticality instead of flat levels everywhere.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the physical PS4 game. Weird that the shop I frequent to always announces if a game is available. It wasn’t announced today but when i went there, it was on the shelf.

The Snake

I found not only a Shovel weapon (that is quite powerful), but armor that turns you into Shovel Knight.

This game is something special.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So there seems to be a weird glitch that will break the chests in your game when you update the game to 1.02
That can break your game.Forcing you to restart again.

I am on the xbox one x but i am still on version 1.0.03
Not sure if i want to play the game right now until it gets the update.

Anyone got that update on their xbox yet?

The Snake

So there seems to be a weird glitch that will break the chests in your game when you update the game to 1.02
That can break your game.Forcing you to restart again.

I am on the xbox one x but i am still on version 1.0.03
Not sure if i want to play the game right now until it gets the update.

Anyone got that update on their xbox yet?

The update caused all of the chests to re-spawn for me.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This game really feels perfect. Jumping around the castle slashing enemies and candles grinding for level ups and item drops, it feels just like the old games. Such a joy to play.

Dev1lXYZ

Played, disappointed, the game has no Magic and the art Style is ugly. The combat is poor but sotn combat was also poor so everything about sotn is better than this game. There are better and more innovative games in the genre right now like Hollow knight.

So, Symphony of the night still may fav game ever, thanks ps2 and its backwards compatibility.

Hollow Knight is indeed the king, Playing through it right now and loving it.

Dev1lXYZ

are you on ps4 ?
and due to this bug you can get way more OP then the game originally intended

I’ve read that chests in new areas spawn already opened. I haven’t gotten too far yet , so I won’t be too mad if I have to restart a new save.

Top Bottom