• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night |OT| What is a Kickstarter?!?! A Miserable Pile of Delays!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I need to stop reading this thread before I end up impulse buying this 😬
giphy.gif

Vitacat

I need to stop reading this thread before I end up impulse buying this 😬
BUY IT!!!

I spent a stupid amount of money on KS to help make this game happen. I think it turned out pretty damn good, and hope many people enjoy it. I've noticed a lot of interest in these types of games since the Bloodstained KS, and I like to think the excitement surrounding it helped the metroidvania renaissance to happen.

People who say it's "ugly", wow I guess I see videogames differently. I mean, yeah it's not using all the latest greatest visual tricks and treats, but it looks like a videogame (if that makes sense?) and I really like that. It's very reminiscent of how I remember SOTN looking and feeling, which is EXACTLY what I personally hoped for, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Also, I'm playing it on "cinematic" settings on a good IPS UW display and it looks amazing, so meh. :p

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Well i have been trying to grind Blood Grinder Knight for about an hour for max boosted shards. These are my drops.

345 killed

14 x Scale Armor
6 x Spiral Swords
21 x Steel
9 x Shards

According to the in game menu drop rates are

4% Scale Armor
2% Spiral Swords
5% Steel
4% Shards

Shouta

Shoe weapons are really good in this game. Despite the short range, the attack is really fast and it makes your movement options like the headstomp, divekick and slide do more damage. There aren't many options though, as far as I can tell though. I had to upgrade my backer weapon to the 2nd tier, which costs a fair bit of gold, for something good.

On the other hand, thanks to the slippery effect I decided on, the divekicks will slide you forward thanks to the momentum. It's pretty wild especially from high up.

Vitacat

OMG, Yacht Club announced that SHOVEL KNIGHT will be a playable character in Bloodstained!

EDIT: OK, I see it was already in the launch trailer but I missed it. So happy!

Last edited:
OMG, Yacht Club announced that SHOVEL KNIGHT will be a playable character in Bloodstained!
There's also an enemy modeled after him in the game already!
Well i have been trying to grind Blood Grinder Knight for about an hour for max boosted shards. These are my drops.

345 killed

14 x Scale Armor
6 x Spiral Swords
21 x Steel
9 x Shards

According to the in game menu drop rates are

4% Scale Armor
2% Spiral Swords
5% Steel
4% Shards
Glad I'm not the only one falling for the grind. Must have killed 300 Lili's to max out Bunnymorphosis lol

HotPocket69

Banned
Had the same issue with it keeping me up way later than usual. The pacing and exploration -> reward system is so goddamn good. Time basically melts playing this one.

Yabusamaro

Neo Member
Day off playing this bad boy. Kickstarted it from the beginning. Having low expectations.

A bit rough in some areas:
- With the whip you need to use the tip, otherwise you will miss small targets.
- On Xbox one X is 4k60p most of the time. On some areas will dip down because of too much detail. I wish you could choose to use a lower or dynamic resolution.

For the rest the game is amazing!
- Lot of options and stuff: Weapons, shards, special moves, different magic.
- Loving the art and music. Graphically it manages to surprise some times: Circling tower, boss designs/ideas..
- The pace! This can break or save the game. Happily it delivers. Igavania style for sure!

Overall if you love previous Igavanias, you will love this for sure. The roughness disappears quite soon and you will get dragged in really deep. Loving the pace between combat, exploration and backtracking.

I understand the criticism over stiffness of combat. If you are used to Igavanias you will completely miss this, but a newcomer might have a hard time. Maybe having some combos while standing, easy to learn weapons or quick combat tutorial would help.

Okey, I was having a small break. Back to the game!

JSoup

Banned
I'm just sitting here, waiting for Sony America to stop being fuck ups and give me my damn backer code.

Belmonte

I'm in the beginning yet but man... how I miss this genre! I think most of the indies I played are not metroidvanias, they are metroid-likes. I miss how many equipments, itens and abilities a true Metroidvania has and this one has in spades! I'm glad IGA created Miriam based on Soma, the Aria/Dawn of Sorrow protagonist since, IMO, he is the most fun MC of the metroidvanias. Copying enemies abilities never gets old!

Like many, I prefer the Castlevania art, in all its 2D glory, specially SOTN, which has a more somber tone, but I'm satisfied with Bloodstained. They improved a lot.

A very promising start!

Vitacat

I wonder if the Switch version will end up having some Nintendo exclusive content, i.e. costume items or even characters?

Yeah, PS4. Stat upgrade items also respawned, so I've been going through and picking up all of those Max HP Ups again.

lmao, I was wondering why drops were respawning like that. It does get you pretty op, enemies seems to do no damage cause your hp pool gets so large.

MiguelItUp

I had hoped Bloodstained would be solid, hell, even just decent. But I was never completely sure about it, I was hesitant. Well, It's more than decent, it's great! PLEASE do yourself a favor and buy this. I also think it's awesome as it feels like a slap in the face of Konami, haha. :messenger_sunglasses:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Been at work all day and honestly have not stopped thinking about this game - where I'm going to explore next, which enemy crystals I want to level up, what type of weapon I should specialize in, etc.

I know the mark of a great game when it can suck me in like this and consume my thoughts.

Pejo

Gold Member
Did any of you guys on Steam notice considerably worse performance today? All 6 hours I played last night, I had one "Fatal error" crash to desktop. Today, the game totally freezes on me every 10-15 minutes and I can't even manually kill the process. I end up having to reboot my PC each time. It's really frustrating. I'm currently in the process of redownloading the game files, but did an update go out between last night and today or something?

rubhen925

So this is honestly the best 54 bucks I spent on PS4 haha. Man loving the game. I've beaten about 7 bosses in 6 hours of gameplay. I'm mostly running around hitting every wall to find secrets.

I fought the villain you meet at the start, and beat him, and the game just went to a game over and gave me a trophy. I guess i'm missing something.

So far, i've been using the greatswords. Using Gram now, will be upgrading soon. There is a section in the castle where you get to a portrait that makes the world 8 bit and you have to fight through. That is a tough section as the boss is a killer haha. I'll have to go back after getting stronger.

I got to a strange room with a bunch of interactable. Called
Celeste's Room
. I'm not sure if I'm missing anything as I can't seem to do anything here.

Also the chairs, does sitting on them do anything. Only one chair has done something and that is the chair beside the piano which plays a beautiful composition.

But yea, I'll head back into it later tonight

Cheers

P.S. - Definitely so far in my top 5 this year for games

Pejo

Gold Member
The music in this is secretly the best thing about this game. It just hits all the right parts of the classical IGA vania.
I'm still waiting for the Bloodstained version of this one:
Also the chairs, does sitting on them do anything. Only one chair has done something and that is the chair beside the piano which plays a beautiful composition.
I know the one at the underground waterfall does as well. Also try playing the piano with a fairy familiar

Last edited:

jshackles

Hmm, I want to get this on the switch. But I heard it's not that good. Is that still the case?
The Switch version runs at 720p. The demo they had at PAX had some input latency issues but I don't think we have confirmation as to whether or not those issues are still present in the final build.

Labolas

The Switch version runs at 720p. The demo they had at PAX had some input latency issues but I don't think we have confirmation as to whether or not those issues are still present in the final build.
Oh ok. I think I just play it on the switch just for convenience

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So this is honestly the best 54 bucks I spent on PS4 haha. Man loving the game. I've beaten about 7 bosses in 6 hours of gameplay. I'm mostly running around hitting every wall to find secrets.

I fought the villain you meet at the start, and beat him, and the game just went to a game over and gave me a trophy. I guess i'm missing something.

It's like SotN. There's looots more left to beat the game for real.

HotPocket69

Banned
Alright I’m in the Towers of the Twin Dragons section and I have no idea how to push forward. I know I need the double jump and it’s around this area but I’m clueless as to what to do to proceed. There’s this blueish glowing gear I can’t jump on to progress to the next part.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Alright I’m in the Towers of the Twin Dragons section and I have no idea how to push forward. I know I need the double jump and it’s around this area but I’m clueless as to what to do to proceed. There’s this blueish glowing gear I can’t jump on to progress to the next part.

David Hayter mentions in a note (you'll get these periodically at the item shop, listen carefully) that the double jump guy is in the library. Search Livre Ex Machina, there are some parts that look impassable but aren't.

HotPocket69

Banned
David Hayter mentions in a note (you'll get these periodically at the item shop, listen carefully) that the double jump guy is in the library. Search Livre Ex Machina, there are some parts that look impassable but aren't.

Ok so how do I get on top of this gear?

7-E84-CE5-F-5323-4-B4-A-892-F-738-F4-F62-B27-C.jpg

The library is above that

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ok so how do I get on top of this gear?

7-E84-CE5-F-5323-4-B4-A-892-F-738-F4-F62-B27-C.jpg

The library is above that

Are you not reading the journal entries in the bookcases? The one right on that screen tells you what to do (stand at it and hit up). There's a lot of important info in those.

At any rate, it's like the very beginning of the game. Point your magic hand at the device (right stick) and it'll start moving.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
LOVELOVELOVE this game

finally beat Zangetsu. you can kind of cheese him standing right in front and jumping over him then hitting him 3 times & repeat.

im now fighting some paintings with backer portraits on them (and old idea but really well done!)

haven't seen any bugs yet, playing on Steam.

Last edited:

Brazen

So anybody close to finishing or beat it yet? Curious on the overall impressions and around how long it is. A lot of side content? Consensus, of what I've been reading, seems to be this one is the best of the igavanias yet? :messenger_open_mouth:

edit- bah just saw OT was posted a few post up... Duh missed it.

Last edited:

The Snake

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

As I previously mentioned, the update caused a bug in treasure chests for me. It has been confirmed that affects a certain chest required to complete the game.

If you started the game before the 1.02 patch and did not pick up the item after the Twin Dragon fight before the update, your progress is blocked.

I'm only 5 hours in so it's not a huge deal but I'm still pretty bummed about it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So anybody close to finishing or beat it yet? Curious on the overall impressions and around how long it is. A lot of side content? Consensus, of what I've been reading, seems to be this one is the best of the igavanias yet? :messenger_open_mouth:

Yeah, it's definitely one of the best Igavanias. There's so much variety to the abilities, everything has upgrade paths, tons of crafting options, and the drop rate is juuust right. I'm getting pretty far in now and it's becoming a lot more challenging than most of the other Igavanias, too. I've died three times so far, to later game bosses.

I'm 15 hours in now, 92% map completion, 15 bosses down.

Top Bottom