• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night |OT| What is a Kickstarter?!?! A Miserable Pile of Delays!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I’d say this probably one of my top games this year, if not one the top games for me this generation.

I hope I’m not the only one but I find the backer portraits and pets a bit out of place looking, like they could have made more fitting to the theme. Peace to those who paid for those though!

Havoc2049

Checked Kickstarter, all $100 and up backers will not get the game until August. Nice.
I’m in that range and I got my XB1 copy on Tuesday. Is this just for digital codes? I still haven’t received the rest of my physical goods, but they already stated those would come after the game was released. Did you check with Fangamer? Did you fill out your survey?

robo_qwop

Re: a bug that was APPARENTLY fixed with an update? Or exacerbated? I'm unsure. I was going to post last night when I noticed all HP max up items had respawned and opened chests were closed again. But there's a mission critical item from a chest after the tower boss. All I can find on this:

I started playing without the update due to HD space. I don't know. Beware.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
!!!IMPORTANT!!!

As I previously mentioned, the update caused a bug in treasure chests for me. It has been confirmed that affects a certain chest required to complete the game.

If you started the game before the 1.02 patch and did not pick up the item after the Twin Dragon fight before the update, your progress is blocked.

I'm only 5 hours in so it's not a huge deal but I'm still pretty bummed about it.
Hmm, I'm at Version 1.0.0.3 and I'm right about to face that boss. I started the game after midnight on Monday. Am I fucked? I don't remember what version I was on when I started, but there hasn't been any update for me since then so I'm assuming it was 1.0.0.3

Fuz

Banned
!!!IMPORTANT!!!

As I previously mentioned, the update caused a bug in treasure chests for me. It has been confirmed that affects a certain chest required to complete the game.

If you started the game before the 1.02 patch and did not pick up the item after the Twin Dragon fight before the update, your progress is blocked.

I'm only 5 hours in so it's not a huge deal but I'm still pretty bummed about it.
Never auto update anything.

robo_qwop

Hmm, I'm at Version 1.0.0.3 and I'm right about to face that boss. I started the game after midnight on Monday. Am I fucked? I don't remember what version I was on when I started, but there hasn't been any update for me since then so I'm assuming it was 1.0.0.3
Thank you. Sorry I didn't read though. I was pissed.

robo_qwop

Sorry again. In case it's still an issue for anybody. Physical version.

Deleted and reinstalled, pausing the update. All open chests are closed again... which includes the progress blocking item :/ save data intact!

Tesseract

Banned
nervous coming into this thread, what's the verdict

is it really difficult, most of the troidvanias bummed me out because they were stupid easy

Durask

I’m in that range and I got my XB1 copy on Tuesday. Is this just for digital codes? I still haven’t received the rest of my physical goods, but they already stated those would come after the game was released. Did you check with Fangamer? Did you fill out your survey?

Who is Fangamer?
Survey was a long time ago, I am pretty sure I finished it.
The game is out, I have no communication from the company. In the larger scheme of things no big deal but heck, if I did not back it back then, I could have paid $39 today and be playing it right now as opposed to paying $150 and having nothing right now.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Who is Fangamer?
Survey was a long time ago, I am pretty sure I finished it.
The game is out, I have no communication from the company. In the larger scheme of things no big deal but heck, if I did not back it back then, I could have paid $39 today and be playing it right now as opposed to paying $150 and having nothing right now.
Search your email for Fangamer. They should have sent you some email updates.

For people playing the game on Xbox, it was announced in the campaign comments section that the 1.02 patch won't be delivered for the XB version of the game, until next week. The XB version of the game will also be affected by the same bug, so it's something to keep in mind, depending on how far a person is into the game and when the patch actually hits the system.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I hope I’m not the only one but I find the backer portraits and pets a bit out of place looking, like they could have made more fitting to the theme. Peace to those who paid for those though!

i like them, they look good & are wearing era appropriate attire. the one eyed cat is really cool. i love when the paintings fly at you, it's a Castlevania tradition and it looks good in HD.

currently im in the garden, playing a little piano, finding a familiar. i can summon a giant stain glass hand which i can use to move statues and such. the game is just starting to open up and it's so cool.

soundtrack rules too! songs are very DOS. i enjoy the musicless ambient areas as well. the game has a nice pacing to it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
For people playing the game on Xbox, it was announced in the campaign comments section that the 1.02 patch won't be delivered for the XB version of the game, until next week. The XB version of the game will also be affected by the same bug, so it's something to keep in mind, depending on how far a person is into the game and when the patch actually hits the system.

Yeah fuck this shit man
I love this game but this is some classic kickstarter wank

I would refund if i could.
Fuck buying games day 1

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Just found some armor that turns me into

Shovel Knight :eek:

Edit: Screenshot
2X9Ikfe.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah fuck this shit man
I love this game but this is some classic kickstarter wank

I would refund if i could.
Fuck buying games day 1
I can sympathize. I backed the project and have been wishing for the last several weeks for the ability to refund the game. As things stand, I might not even touch the game, until sometime in July, when I'm finally granted access to the formerly backer-exclusive DLC.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it does suck. i backed and wont get mine for a week. the only reason i am playing it now is i wanted to double dip. cos i am a huge fan of the Castlevania series and most of the games, most of which i played for free thru emulator. might as well give something back.

plus $35 to play the first Castlevania in 10 years is not too bad.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Checked Kickstarter, all $100 and up backers will not get the game until August. Nice.

I did the 175$ and got the game Monday. Didn't get the extra stuff though they said that will be shipped later. You should already have the game though.

Durask

OK look like this was my bad, I changed my email since I did the pledge.
Got my Steam key from Fangamer already and played a bit, so far seems like a lot of fun, exactly what I was looking for.

Silvawuff

I didn't back this, but I did day one it when I saw positive reviews starting to pop up. It's everything I hoped for. Definitely getting SotN vibes/tributes. Excited to see how the game develops over time with the additional updates/DLC. I've encountered a few strange bugs, one of them game-breaking. The first is that sometimes treasure gets lodged in the walls/floors and can't be collected. It'll be frozen in its animation and looks really wonky.

The game-breaker was caused by a green chair enemy that makes you "sit" in it. It tried to make me sit in it just as I was zoning off screen, and it flung me into the background of the castle. I tried to waystone back and I was still embedded in the background and had to restart. Soooo, be wary of green chairs! This is patch 1.02.

Last edited:
Well, just found the secret level.

Also, anyone else that did this know what you're supposed to do with the 8-bit nightmare book? It's a crafting item but I don't see anything listed that uses it.

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

I’m really interested in playing this. Thinking of the Switch version but interested in impressions of that, since it’s 720p and 30fps, and probably has some other sacrifices.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
This got 5 million dollars in backing right? Huh.
I’m really interested in playing this. Thinking of the Switch version but interested in impressions of that, since it’s 720p and 30fps, and probably has some other sacrifices.
Really? Its not like the game is pushing any boundaries.

Last edited by a moderator:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got the chance to play a few more hours tonight. Got about 25% of the map, and just unlocked the double-jump ability.

This game is AWESOME, definitely one of my favorite games I've played in quite some time.

You mean the physical rewards, I assume. Because all backers regardless of tier have gotten their Steam, Xbox, and PS keys by now I believe. Switch on June 25th.

I'm not that fussed about the physical stuff on release day. I know they will send the stuff eventually.

Shouta

Well, just found the secret level.

Anyone else that did this know what you're supposed to do with the 8-bit nightmare book? It's a crafting item but I don't see anything listed that uses it.

That's used with the 32-bit coin to craft the final form of the 8-bit/Backer weapons.

On that note, I just finished the game. The last few bosses were a pushover using my backer weapon. Shoes are pretty ridiculous as a weapon once you get double jump since you can kick stomp them to death very quickly while dodging quite a lot of attacks. I did farm up and master Kick expertise which skyrocketed my attack to like 160-170 after buffs though, lol.

This is my last post about Bunnymorphosis, I swear.

But I just melted the 6th (?) boss with it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I need to farm up the shards for that and use it with my backer weapon, lol.

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well, there goes another entire evening. I "beat it" and then went back in and proceeded to discover 3 new major areas. It says I've seen 62% of the map after 12.5 hours, but some of those areas I can't really function in at all yet.

So far, it is completely absorbing and amazing, however it is not quite going as well as other Igavanias since I keep wanting something, spending fooorrreeevvverrr to find it, and by time I do not only have I already found more useful things, but it doesn't even do for me what I thought it would. So yeah, the discovery process is still cool, but it is bad at making me want what it is going to give me soon so that there is a solid sense of reward.

Last edited:
I have around 2 hours of progress. Please tell me the patch I downloaded about an hour ago doesn't mean I have to restart because of chest and silver bromide bugs. I really don't want to.

McCheese

Mechnically this game is so damn good. You constantly feel rewarded for exploring, grinding, back tracking or whatever else you choose to do.

And the harsh but fair death punishment, and spacing of safe rooms, makes everything temptingly risky.

I'm so getting addicted to this.

xviper

Played half an hour and i like the game so far, but it's kinda too easy and the character movement is sluggish.

So I’m planning on buying this tomorrow, what’s the deal with the progress halting bugs? Should I wait until this is fixed before buying the game?

Ichabod

Banned
Anyone know how long the game takes to complete? Is there an upsidedown/reverse version of the castle like sotn?

BruceCM

Anyone know how long the game takes to complete? Is there an upsidedown/reverse version of the castle like sotn?
"Invert is a Skill Shard featured in Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. The purpose of this shard is exactly what the title states; it allows Miriam to manipulate gravity by turning the environment around her upside down. The shard's power may enable her to access areas in Gebel's castle that are typically out of reach when it stays the same."

Dunno if that's actually required to finish the game, though....

I have around 2 hours of progress. Please tell me the patch I downloaded about an hour ago doesn't mean I have to restart because of chest and silver bromide bugs. I really don't want to.

Was it 1.02 on PS4? If you also installed it...yeah, you're gonna have to start from scratch.

KiteGr

Reading this thread is excrutiating as the physical PS4 version releases in the EU on Friday. Honestly van't wait.
I'm a backer and I'm also waiting for my physical edition to arrive. I'll be lucky if I get it tomorrow, and tracking doesn't work for me to know where it is.

McCheese

So I’m planning on buying this tomorrow, what’s the deal with the progress halting bugs? Should I wait until this is fixed before buying the game?

PS4 or pc are fine now if you let it patch first. Xbox version is still getting the patch that breaks old saves next week, so basically don't get the Xbox version yet.

rrice64

Neo Member
PS4 or pc are fine now if you let it patch first. Xbox version is still getting the patch that breaks old saves next week, so basically don't get the Xbox version yet.

too late for me. RIP.

i bought it on launch day digital and i put about 5 hours in so far. i was gonna play more today, but checked twitter randomly and discovered i'm gonna have to start over...next week some time lol fuck me. great game tho so far, seriously.

HotPocket69

Banned
Even though my game crashed immediately when update 1.02 went live while I was around the beginning of the castle., somehow Ive managed to stay bug free. I got the silver bromide, passed through the train station and got that reflector jump thingy. Now I'm back at the library and just beat the witch bitch with the umbrella.

Last edited:

Typhares

Damn so the game is actually good. Honestly I wasn't too optimistic but this is great news! SOTN is one of my favorite games of all time.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Friendly reminder for all the Xbox users here. The patch that will ruin your current save is not out yet like on ps4.
So for all that is good FFS turn off that auto download patch funtion on your xbox.
Or the update (NEXT WEEK) will ruin your current save :)

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
And the harsh but fair death punishment, and spacing of safe rooms, makes everything temptingly risky.
This is the best. Do you explore further as your health is getting low and you’re finding stronger enemies? Will you find the next safe/teleport room or will you pass them by and just find new routes? Have you gone too far so backtracking through the respawned enemies is as dangerous? It’s the proper excitement of mapping out a new place.

Generic

Yeah, it's definitely one of the best Igavanias. There's so much variety to the abilities, everything has upgrade paths, tons of crafting options, and the drop rate is juuust right. I'm getting pretty far in now and it's becoming a lot more challenging than most of the other Igavanias, too. I've died three times so far, to later game bosses.

I'm 15 hours in now, 92% map completion, 15 bosses down.
3 deaths in 15 hours doesn't seems hard.

Top Bottom