• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing-age: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs Shane Mosley - Saturday, May 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneHeero

Mayweather really dominated mosley w ease although mosley looked so gassed and scared. But Danm pbf put it down and in convincing fashion.

huacst21 said:
No I didn't. :lol

I was saying in relation to Hopkins breaking Monzon's middleweight title defenses at his age during that time.
Fair enough, I was being facetious anyway.

What you said about Mosley is undeniably true but I still have this victory as one of Mayweather's best. Just a shame it couldn't have happened a few years back.

charsace

Shane was mentally beat. The only way to beat Floyd is to commit and let the hands fly. Sitting back and boxing with him is a recipe for disaster

Respect to Floyd, he put on a god tier performance and dominated a belt holder and dangerous opponent. He just looked untouchable.

I can't see how manny beats him, he won't be able to connect with anything of note. It sounds like the fight won't happen anyway. I guess mayweather vs berto in the fall???

Triple U

Banned
I for one was suprised to see pbf go toe to toe instead of evading after that 2nd just a shame that pbf wouldn't go for the KO. But thats money for ya always sticks to the script.

"you virtually begged for this fight..how do you feel now after losing so decisively"

Larry Merchant, interviewing Shane Mosley after the fight.

Esperado

x Power Pad Death Stomp x said:
I can't see how manny beats him, he won't be able to connect with anything of note. It sounds like the fight won't happen anyway. I guess mayweather vs berto in the fall???
I think Pacquiao deserves more credit. We've seen the guy go twelve rounds and continue to keep up the pressure with punches. It's just a matter of how much Floyd can slow him down. If Floyd can take him completely off his gameplan with the counter punching like he's been doing to pretty much everybody in the past few years, then yeah it'll be an easy bout. It's always interesting how much the style of Floyd just seems to shut people down offensively. Can he do it the Pacman as well? I wouldn't put my money against Floyd, but who really knows?
gluv65 said:
"you virtually begged for this fight..how do you feel now after losing so decisively"

Fuck Larry. He was downright disrespectful pre-fight, commentating, and post-fight.

My favourite moment in the fight (besides Mayweather almost getting knocked down) has to be PBF popping Mosley in the mouth when he was whining about the ref. I love it when a fighter has a spiteful streak.

eggandI

Banned
gluv65 said:

EschatonDX said:
He was verbally fellating floyd the entire time, it was actually a little weird

Esperado said:
Fuck Larry. He was downright disrespectful pre-fight, commentating, and post-fight.

Yeah Merchant is fucking annoying. They NEED to find someone new. Emmanuel Stewart would be a good choice.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
who doesnt hate larry merchant? hes the only thing i hate about the sport honestly.

well that, and mayweather running from pacman.

Baby Milo

holy fuck

Mayweather landed 208 of 477 total punches, a connect % of 44. Which is incredible against a man of Mosley's caliber. Power punches for Mayweather: 123 out of 267 thrown, 46%. Mosley landed 92 of 452, a 20% connect rate.

eggandI

Banned
If Manny refuses the fight because of blood testing, I hope Floyd fights 3 more times this year and cleans out the division to force his hand.

Pac will be a politician by then :lol

oneHeero

J Tourettes said:
My favourite moment in the fight (besides Mayweather almost getting knocked down) has to be PBF popping Mosley in the mouth when he was whining about the ref. I love it when a fighter has a spiteful streak.
My fav 2 as well :lol

Esperado said:
I think Pacquiao deserves more credit. We've seen the guy go twelve rounds and continue to keep up the pressure with punches. It's just a matter of how much Floyd can slow him down. If Floyd can take him completely off his gameplan with the counter punching like he's been doing to pretty much everybody in the past few years, then yeah it'll be an easy bout. It's always interesting how much the style of Floyd just seems to shut people down offensively. Can he do it the Pacman as well? I wouldn't put my money against Floyd, but who really knows?

Pac does deserve more credit. The man keeps on coming with pressure like no else does.

He threw 1,231 punches in his last fight and 682 of those punches were power punches.

If people think it will be easy for Floyd to shut that down than they are not giving Pac no credit at all.

The guy is a machine when it comes to punches.

Triple U

Banned
If Manny refuses the fight because of blood testing, I hope Floyd fights 3 more times this year and cleans out the division to force his hand.
I think its really pac whose got something to prove now. There are really no excuses.

Another brilliant performance from Mayweather. Great job, staying on his feet, and surviving the 2nd rd, and winning the next 8. He was put in a position that no one's ever seen, before, and handled it, perfectly. Though, Shane should've pressed him harder, with so much time left in the rd. Floyd was obviously hurt, until the bell. Maybe Mosley was gassed, himself.

Mosley was way too tight, from the opening bell. His big punch in the 2nd was really his only chance in the fight. Not only was Mayweather the better boxer, as expected, but I was surprised at how much bigger and stronger than Mosley, Mayweather looked. Also, I think it caught everyone by surprise, how Mayweather was the aggressor for most of the fight.

As for Pacquiao ... I love the guy, but he should just keep refusing to take the blood test, and duck Mayweather, because the only thing that's gonna beat Mayweather, is age. In Pac's last fight, Clottey was a defensive wall that hardly punched back, yet Pac looked more beat-up than Clottey, after the fight. Pac threw a shitload of punches, but had a hard time landing them. It's only going to be harder, against Mayweather.

Esch

Banned
Baby Milo said:
plus is bigger and has like a 10inch reach advantage. he gonna sit back and fuck pac up.

you're talking about a guy that moved up from light flyweight to where he is now not being able to handle a size/reach difference?

harSon said:
And Floyd is a machine at dodging punches

Floyd has never faced an opponent like Pac when it comes to volumes of punches.

You can only avoid so many punches before you get tagged eventually.

The 2nd round in tonight's fight proved it and was hoping it humbled Floyd as well as his fans but that's too much to ask apparently. :lol

Really, if Pac hurt Floyd like what Shane did in the 2nd round with two minutes to spare, you think Pac would have backed off and not finished it?

If you say yes, than your delusional.

eggandI said:
Yeah Merchant is fucking annoying. They NEED to find someone new. Emmanuel Stewart would be a good choice.

No way, Merchant is straight to the point and and doesn't pull punches. I love it. and pbf vs. pac-man is the only real option now. Like someone else said, pac-man has to be the one to step up now and prove it

Triple U

Banned
huacst21 said:

The 2nd round in tonight's fight proved it and was hoping it humbled Floyd as well as his fans but that's too much to ask apparently. :lol

Really, if Pac hurt Floyd like what Shane did in the 2nd round with two minutes to spare, you think Pac would have backed off and not finished it?

yea but pac isn't strong as shane
even with the juice
so why should he be humbled?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
manny is unlike anything mayweather has ever faced. and vice versa. it's stupid to compare and argue about it, we only have to wait and see what happens.

Pac - PBF has a stoppage written all over it for me. PBF won't be able to miss Pac's h(gh)uge noggin and this is coming from a PBF critic.

Dexvex said:
yea but pac isn't strong as shane
even with the juice
so why should he be humbled?

Where in the hell are you fans getting this shit? Cotto outpointed and beat Mosley, Pac put Cotto on his ass 3 times and won by TKO in the twelve round.

Apparently Shane's punches didn't do jack shit against Cotto. Do you watch boxing at all or just fights with your favorite boxer?

eggandI

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
wait, people hate Larry Merchant? the 2nd best part of a fight is waiting for Larry to ask a hilariously insulting question to the fighters!

Yeah except the dude can barely get out a sentence a minute.

It's funny how fans really are. I mentioned Floyd ducked Cotto when he was a threat. Someone replies and calls Cotto a scrub.

Cotto fought Mosley in 2007 and beat him easily.

Floyd beats Shane tonight just as easily and his fans go crazy over it.

Like I said, you guys don't watch boxing. You're just fans of certain fighters.

huacst21 said:

The 2nd rd didn't prove that, at all. Shane wasn't throwing a barrage of punches. He just happened to land one big cross. That one punch is probably harder than anything that Manny will even throw at Floyd, and it still didn't knock Floyd down. Although, Floyd did grab onto Shane's arm, for dear life.

And as far as humbling Floyd's fans, after this fight, I am even more impressed with Floyd's abilities. Besides the first two rds, Floyd absolutely dominated a world-class fighter, in Shane Mosley. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of Pacquiao, and can't wait to see the day that Floyd gets KTFO. But, objectively, Floyd is the best boxer on the planet, and if I had to put money on it, it would be on Floyd.

Triple U

Banned
huacst21 said:
Where in the hell are you fans getting this shit? Cotto outpointed and beat Mosley, Pac put Cotto on his ass 3 times and won by TKO in the twelve round.

Apparently Shane's punches didn't do jack shit against Cotto. Do you watch boxing at all or just fights with your favorite boxer?

meh its too late to be arguing this shit over so you win:lol Just tell your boy pac to quit bein a bitch and take the damn tests.

Triple U

Banned
huacst21 said:
It's funny how fans really are. I mentioned Floyd ducked Cotto when he was a threat. Someone replies and calls Cotto a scrub.

Cotto fought Mosley in 2007 and beat him easily.

Floyd beats Shane tonight just as easily and his fans go crazy over it.

Like I said, you guys don't watch boxing. You're just fans of certain fighters.
again meh. Nobody is goin crazy. I just liked to see pbf get rocked by what was probably the hardest punch he could take today and still get be aggresive

Esch

Banned
George Claw M.D. said:
The 2nd rd didn't prove that, at all. Shane wasn't throwing a barrage of punches. He just happened to land one big cross. That one punch is probably harder than anything that Manny will even throw at Floyd, and it still didn't knock Floyd down. Although, Floyd did grab onto Shane's arm, for dear life.

there is absolutely no comparison between shane and pacquiao in terms of handspeed/punches thrown, especially not now.

George Claw M.D. said:

And as far as humbling Floyd's fans, after this fight, I am even more impressed with Floyd's abilities. Besides the first two rds, Floyd absolutely dominated a world-class fighter, in Shane Mosley. Personally, I'm a bigger fan of Pacquiao, and can't wait to see the day that Floyd gets KTFO. But, objectively, Floyd is the best boxer on the planet, and if I had to put money on it, it would be on Floyd.

That's what saved Floyd but I don't fault him for that. He did what every smart boxer would do, which is to clinch for dear life.

Did you see the bomb that Pac landed on Hatton?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JxaN-ilJ-Q&feature=related

EschatonDX said:
there is absolutely no comparison between shane and pacquiao in terms of handspeed/punches thrown, especially not now.
I agree with you, and nowhere, in my post, did I make that comparison. I was responding to a post that suggested that the 2nd rd showed that Mayweather would eventually get tagged, after dodging so many punches. But, Shane didn't even throw that many punches, before that punch landed. So the statement didn't support itself.

edit: Yeah. I watched that, brief, Pacquiao/Hatton fight. I didn't say Pacquiao didn't have power, but I don't think that punch was any harder than the one Shane landed on Floyd, tonight. Pacquiao had Hatton's head spun around, triggering the body's natural "go-limp" response. Shane's punch was a hard right cross, that, although solid, didn't hit the same way as Manny's left hook on Hatton. The question is, "Can Manny land that shot on Floyd?" If Floyd fought as sloppily as Hatton, there wouldn't even be a debate.

Mayweather's dad said in 24/7 that Mosley would be all jittery n shit. He was completely rite. Looked like Mosley was trembling out there:lol

abuC

That wasn't the first time Floyd has been hurt, Chop Chop Corley rocked him, and Zab Judah caught him and knocked him down, but the ref didn't see Floyds glove touch the mat so it wasn't ruled a knockdown.

I don't think Pac really has a chance against Mayweather, too big and too skilled, with nearly the same handspeed. It would take 2-3 rounds for Floyd to figure out Manny's in/out style and he'd just make him eat leather for the rest of the fight.

Baby Milo

Dmncnby2k9 said:
Mayweather's dad said in 24/7 that Mosley would be all jittery n shit. He was completely rite. Looked like Mosley was trembling out there:lol
also on 24/7 naz said mosley would crack him and floyd would turn into a dragon

they never had anything for him after that though

LCGeek

formerly sane
abuC said:
I don't think Pac really has a chance against Mayweather, too big and too skilled, with nearly the same handspeed. It would take 2-3 rounds for Floyd to figure out Manny's in/out style and he'd just make him eat leather for the rest of the fight.

This the more Pac throws out punches against Mayweather the more it favors floyd considering how he makes opponents pay for slip ups.

Esch

Banned
2v93rwn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom