• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy! This Super Mario Brothers 2 sure is wacky!

Tiktaalik

I thought I'd make a thread to give everyone a break from endless Xbox 360 speculation to discuss a really great game I randomly started playing recently:

Super Mario Bros 2!
Super_Mario_Brothers_2_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

I wasn't allowed an NES when I was growing up, and when I went over to my friends' house to play NES this game always seemed overshadowed by Mario 3, so up until now I never really played that much of it, let alone beat it. I started playing the NES version about last week and I'm really enjoying it. Here are a few thoughts.

- This game is pretty hard! I've only been playing in short bits, so I haven't been using continues, but I can only really get to level 5 before I run out of lives.

- The extra life mini game is impossible. I spend like 5 coins and usually only get one life.

- I don't know why I always played as the princess when I was a kid. Sure the hovering is cool, but Toad is clearly the best.

- I'm scared of those guys that follow me after I steal the key

This game is so remarkably different than regular Super Mario Bros that I imagine when this game came out there must have been a ton of incredibly confused kids. I know when I was young I didn't read gaming magazines and I only knew vague things about games coming out. Did anyone here get Mario 2 at it's launch and was completely confused? Was anyone shocked to find that you couldn't kill enemies by jumping on them?

Even though it's really different from Super Mario Bros, I'm really digging the gameplay style. I think Nintendo should release a new game in this style starring Toad. Princess Peach has her own game now. It's Toad's turn.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Zaxxon said:
I thought I'd make a thread to give everyone a break from endless Xbox 360 speculation to discuss a really great game I randomly started playing recently:

Super Mario Bros 2!
Super_Mario_Brothers_2_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

I wasn't allowed an NES when I was growing up, and when I went over to my friends' house to play NES this game always seemed overshadowed by Mario 3, so up until now I never really played that much of it, let alone beat it. I started playing the NES version about last week and I'm really enjoying it. Here are a few thoughts.

- This game is pretty hard! I've only been playing in short bits, so I haven't been using continues, but I can only really get to level 5 before I run out of lives.

- The extra life mini game is impossible. I spend like 5 coins and usually only get one life.

- I don't know why I always played as the princess when I was a kid. Sure the hovering is cool, but Toad is clearly the best.

This game is so remarkably different than regular Super Mario Bros that I imagine when this game came out there must have been a ton of incredibly confused kids. I know when I was young I didn't read gaming magazines and I only knew vague things about games coming out. Did anyone here get Mario 2 at it's launch and was completely confused? Was anyone shocked to find that you couldn't kill enemies by jumping on them?

Even though it's really different from Super Mario Bros, I'm really digging the gameplay style. I think Nintendo should release a new game in this style starring Toad. Princess Peach has her own game now. It's Toad's turn.

:lol :lol :lol Those used to scare the shit outta me when i was young

Tiktaalik

Property of Jumpship said:
Maybe because you're a fag. :D

gah I knew someone was going to write that. Clearly it's because she was the easiest character and I sucked at games.

Mario - Average
Princess - Easiest
Toad - The Best
Luigi - For people who want to show off that they can beat the game with such a crappy character.

BlueTsunami said:
But you can Float with her! and I always thought the mushroom character was the sexually questionable one.

Nah, Toad had to be a guy in that game, he could pull those vegetables out of the ground without breaking a sweat.

I thought the bosses were clever. I used to love warping through the game really quickly, like the one where you go left from the beginning of the desert level and go through the quicksand and up the other side.

Red Scarlet

Learn the timing to get a cherry first (about < half a second after the slots start) to rack up extra lives with ease. Princess sucks, though.

Once you are familiar with the game, try a no warp playthrough only using Toad; it was fun.

Zaxxon said:
gah I knew someone was going to write that. Clearly it's because she was the easiest character and I sucked at games.

Luigi - For people who want to show off that they can beat the game with such a crappy character.

Yeah, it was an easy joke. Sorry.

I hated Luigi; he jumped to damn high.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
SMB 2 was the first Mario game I owned and I really liked it. I was like 8 or something when I first got it, I remember my mom watching me play and being like "what kinda trippy game is this?".

I never used anyone but Luigi--he was by FAR the best character, plus he had a huge jump (longer than the Princess by quite a bit) and could reach parts of levels no other character could and/or bypass content. I only used the Princess for the warp on 4-2, cause it was too hard to navigate those whales otherwise.

I remember renting the real Super Mario Bros. 2 (our "Lost Levels") in the summer of '88 and being extremely disappointed (it was on one of those cheap Korean pirate copies) because it was too much like SMB. A couple months later Nintendo released the NA version of SMB2 and I remember being blown away, so were all the videogame playing kids at my school. I was actually relieved it was so different from the first game.

Pimpwerx

Best SM game IMO. My favorite, at least (yes, moreso than SM3, which is also killer). I liked the cast, the level designs, the gameplay and the bosses. I wish they'd have made a sequel to this awesome game. PEACE.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Zaxxon said:

Peach is cool. Toad rules. Luigi can be a pimp too if you don't mind the leg wiggling jumps.

Zaxxon said:

:lol Who isn't?

Zaxxon said:

I know I was. Even though I didn't know about the whole Doki Doki Panic thing I knew it was one wierd ass game. Loved every minute though. Man I think I'm going to bust it out again.

I remember seeing the ending for the first time and flipped out. The Mario sleeping animation and the music were mind blowing back in the day. Loved this game.

THIS THREAD IS AWESOME!

with that said, i hope to see a revival in acid-induced mario 2D platformers someday. that new mario DS is a step in the right direction but it doesnt have that trippy zaniness that'd make it a true successor to the NES mario trilogy

I was always afraid of the Phantos as well when I stole the key. The trick was get the key, run, and when they were about to get you, just set the key down and he leaves. Just grab the key, walk a bit till you see him again, and drop it again. Isnt really that hard after a while.

I always had a set way of doing that game too. For the first stage I would pick Toad, just for his mad skillz at pulling stuff from the ground. Next stage I would use Luigi because I could power jump off the Ninjak's head on top of the mound and skip half the damn stage. From then on out I used the princess for her float abilities, except for world 5-3. In that I would use Luigi again just to power jump up to the warp to world 7 easier.

But the best cheat with the princess has to be world 4-3 where you have to go up the big tower, then down the next one before facing the boss. With Princess you get a running start at the end of the first tower, jump and float across the water and barely land at the foot of the second tower, essentially skipping almost the entire stage. Cheap? Yes. Effective? Yes.

Meh, as soon as those guys chased me after picking up the key, I would just be cheesy and drop it constantly along the way so they wouldn't follow. :)
Luigi for the win.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Zaxxon said:
I think Nintendo should release a new game in this style starring Toad. Princess Peach has her own game now. It's Toad's turn.
I would totally agree with you if Nintendo hadn't gone out of their way to make Toad sound like a screaming retard as of Super Mario Advance. I don't think I could bear to hear him grunting and wheezing his way through an entire game.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Actually the first Mario game I laid my eyes on, and I thought it was awesome. I thought it was really cool that you didn't DIE if you actually touched an enemy, which actually makes sense!

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I liked beating the game using each of the four characters the same number of times.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
My god, the memories. Yeah I was scared of the phantoms, always taking a step at a time and then putting down the key. :lol Toad was the king of the desert with his digging skills.

It took me like 2 hours to figure out how to beat birdo back then because this was only my second NES after mario bros. Never did finish the game unfortunately because it got so hard. :(

It's the forgotten Mario because it was just too different and overshadowed by SMB3. That's how it was when I was little. Of course, I liked it, but I just played SMB3 and TNMT2 all the time.

And I agree, those flying masks were so fucking scary when I was little. The first time I saw that thing flying around, I probably pissed my pants.

Seriously.

bobble

I remember having a discussion with my uncle (who was like mid 30s at the time) about how this was better than SMB1...... he disagreed.

Heres another thing I remember about this game.... the town I grew up in was TINY. I mean, 300ish people. Pretty much the only successful business in town was a bar. The bar rented games. And when SMB2 came out instead of the usual alchohol specials in the window they had a huge "YES WE HAVE SUPER MARIO 2" sign. It was cool :)

bobble said:
I remember having a discussion with my uncle (who was like mid 30s at the time) about how this was better than SMB1...... he disagreed.

Heres another thing I remember about this game.... the town I grew up in was TINY. I mean, 300ish people. Pretty much the only successful business in town was a bar. The bar rented games. And when SMB2 came out instead of the usual alchohol specials in the window they had a huge "YES WE HAVE SUPER MARIO 2" sign. It was cool :)

the game was really difficult for me to find too, which added to its mystique back then. seeing the game behind a counter was like looking at the holy ark or something

same thing goes for mario 3 back in the day, but to a greater extent

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I wonder what it was about the Phantos that made them so damn creepy. :lol

Taichu

Princess FTW. Her float was unmatched.

I liked this game as a kid. And yes, those flying mask dudes scared me. Also, near the end when the bird-door started flying around as an enemy... that freaked me out.

I love how you can beat the game in like 5 minutes. A few secret warps, quicksand secret, etc. :)

The whole Birdo/Ostro thing was confusing too. I'm still not clear on Birdo's gender. :lol

XGoldenboyX

Exelent Thread, can't help to praise old school.

Even if Mario 3 was my favorite, I really did enjoy Mario 2 for its diversity of boss encounters and wierdness :)

Here is some fun stuff...

Ingame NES VS SNES

Luigi_smb2.PNG

Smb2allstars.PNG

Super_Mario_Bros_2_boxfront.jpg

Super_Mario_Bros_2_boxback.jpg

smb2ill.jpg

And here is quite simply one of a kind article on Super Mario Bros. 3 Dev @_@

smb3article2.jpg

smb3article3.jpg

smb3article4.jpg

Diffense

Only pussies dropped the key. Real men ran their asses off while screaming like a little girl.

lol, so I spolied all the fun by removing the threat? :D

Once I discovered they could be beaten it became my policy.

mrkgoo

XGoldenboyX said:
Exelent Thread, can't help to praise old school.

Even if Mario 3 was my favorite, I really did enjoy Mario 2 for its diversity of boss encounters and wierdness :)

Here is some fun stuff...

Ingame NES VS SNES

Luigi_smb2.PNG

Smb2allstars.PNG

Super_Mario_Bros_2_boxfront.jpg

Super_Mario_Bros_2_boxback.jpg

smb2ill.jpg

And here is quite simply one of a kind article on Super Mario Bros. 3 Dev @_@

smb3article2.jpg

smb3article3.jpg

smb3article4.jpg

That is one of the awesomest things I have ever read.

And yes, I haven't read all that much.

Haha, imagine laying out levels on scratch pads.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Zaxxon said:
Those things would haunt my dreams! Glad to know I'm not the only one.

So this is what it feels like when doves cry.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Those guys that guarded the key were insane!

me and my friend had a long discussion about this about a week ago. I think a lot of it was that they didn't really seem like they were bad guys, or on either side. They were "mystery" characters with unlimited strength and speed who were invincible. It seemed as if they had been there guarding over the keys for thousands of years. If they were real bad guys they could just chase mario everywhere until they finally killed him, but nope, they only cared about those fucking keys!@!2!6

AHHHHHHHHH The mystery of their ancient past makes me feel crazy!!!!

Top Bottom