• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy! This Super Mario Brothers 2 sure is wacky!

maharg

idspispopd
Jive Turkey said:
Only pussies dropped the key. Real men ran their asses off while screaming like a little girl.

Uh, he said he KILLED THEM. I don't think that's a pussy thing to do :p

And on that note, you could KILL THEM!?!??!?!!??! Wtf man.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
GDJustin said:
Wow... that's the youngest picture of Miyamoto I can remember seeing.
I hate how well asian people age. The guy is like 35 in that picture yet he looks like he's 20-25. :lol

scaffa

Its an awsome mario game. I always had huge discussions with my brother about wich char was the best. Toad or Luigi...that discussion is still going on.

Bojangles

I still think SMB2 has the catchiest music. I would have that damn song stuck in my head all day.. and as soon as a buddy heard it, he was screwed too!

Merlin

Banned
Off topic, but I recently got Mario World on GBA (Mario Advance 2) and I can't believe how ridiculous Luigi is in it. :lol Totally ruins the balance! You can jump across the entire level most of the time!!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
maharg said:

Yes you can kill them but that involves dropping the key now doesn't it? :p

Drop the key = pussy.

I first played the NES Marios when I got the Super Mario AllStars Snes pack... from reading games magazines I had gotten the impression that SMB2 was a bit rubbish and I wouldn't like it very much. But they were completely wrong, It's a fantastic game. Haven't played it in years but it's certainly on my list of games to download for the Revolution.

I could have sworn the Phantos were unkillable. If you dropped the key (either by throwing it at them or not) they would leave the screen. But if you picked it back up, they would return in a few seconds.

Diffense

maharg said:

I definitely remember running out in front of them then turning and throwing the key at them. I'm pretty sure it accomplished something. Whether it killed them or just stunned them... hmm *scratches head*

Unfortunately, it's been years since the last time I played Mario 2...
If I had the game handy I'd try it to confirm.

I could have sworn the Phantos were unkillable. If you dropped the key (either by throwing it at them or not) they would leave the screen.

Did they leave the screen if you dropped the key or did they just stop moving, daring you to pick it up again?

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
Doki Doki Panic Baby!!! :D :D

doki2.jpg
doki3.jpg

dokidokipanic.jpg
doki4.jpg

doki5.jpg
doki_whales.jpg

doki7.jpg
doki6.jpg

I was maybe too young to get into it when it originally came out. I really got into the original and Super Mario Bros 3 and somehow skipped this... maybe I rejected it cos it was different or something. I'd never - for instance - got as far as Wart...

but then I revisited the game with the launch of Gameboy Advance. Mario Advance is freaking awesome if you've never played the game before. The egg incentive really had me carefully thinking about where to throw those potions too.

One thing I could do in NES SMB2 USA over the other versions was that I was able to get a bunch of 1ups in the slot machine after each section (I noticed a pattern and was able to get triple stars or whatever max 1ups you can get on each spin 80-90% of the time). Later versions fixed the pattern and made it more random =P

Personally I think I liked SMB2 USA more than SMB3...I liked the quirky world and uniquess of the playable characters in SMB2 whereas in SMB3 it went back to the core of SMB1 along with Mario and Luigi just being different-colored clones of each other. Though SMB3 was a great game and made the series familar with fans again I was kinda hoping for something even more different like SMB2 USA (this was before I ever heard about the Japanese SMB2 and Doki-Doki Panic).

Even though I liked SMB2 USA's different direction I can't say I felt the same with Zelda II =P (it was alright).

XeMinus

In the NES (Euro) version, I used to earn billions of extra lifes in the slot game thanks to my "Nippon'do" (NES clone) pad with TURBO A and B buttons. You just had to learn the exact time to press it (helped by the catchy tune of the bonus game) and... voilá!

PS. I was incredibly scared of those bastard masks too. They were soooo creepy... (in fact, all the game was; its wackyness was wacky in a very 'dark' way --I can't explain it better...)

PS'. Thanks for the link, bummyhead!! :)

Top Bottom