• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy twitter account says they can hear the overseas fans

Great, Square release BD on the 3DS and then release FFType-0 on the Vita! DO IT

Don't have a 3DS but these two actions would help Square's reputation.

Mr. Fix

I'll sweeten the deal for you, Square Enix. Let me buy BDFF? I'll buy Lightning Returns too.

1gPKAS8.jpg

Esura

Banned
I'll sweeten the deal for you, Square Enix. Let me buy BDFF? I'll buy Lightning Returns too.

I was buying that one regardless. I'd buy two copies of BDFF though, mostly because if they do localize it I bet ya it'll have a very low print run and it will allow me to have a mint condition copy on the shelf.

"Sorry, we did our best, but not enough people bought Final Fantasy: All The Bravest. Please enjoy this remake of Final Fantasy IV for TI-83 calculators."

"Bravely Default has been renamed Final Fantasy Type-1 for world wide release and will come bundled with Final Fantasy Type-0 the day it comes out. Please be excited!"

Stark

Banned
I was buying that one regardless. I'd buy two copies of BDFF though, mostly because if they do localize it I bet ya it'll have a very low print run and it will allow me to have a mint condition copy on the shelf.

And we can't let them say "low sales, no sequel"

Game split into 5 chapters costing $20 each. You can download and play the first 2 minutes for free!

Gilgamesh has also been completely removed from Final Fantasy Type-0 at the request of forum goer MagiusNecros.

It's sad that I could think of alot of these and none of them that I would really consider absurd enough that SE wouldn't do at some point.

Famassu

Why? SE hasn’t exactly inspired confidence in regards to localization/publishing (in the west) within the last several years.

DQ VI DS (Nintendo)
DQ IX (Nintendo again)
Slime Morimori DQ 3
FF: Type 0

And where still relatively recent on their releases, still no word on DQ VII (3DS) or DQ X, but I wouldn’t be surprised not to see them, as well.

So please excuse me if I can’t find reason to become excited over only a Twitter feed that probably means nothing.
They've localized almost everything in recent years. Dragon Quest simply hasn't been that successful outside Japan, so in DQ's case they have let Nintendo do it. It's simply no wonder if they are a bit more careful nowadays given how they were given shit back for all their efforts (most of their PSP & DS efforts didn't sell all that well). DQ Slime is as niche as games get, 3DS sales aren't all that hot, 1 + 1 = no localization. And Type-0 was released for an already-dead-in-the-west platform, so there's a good reason for it not having a localization. I don't see any reason NOT to be confident that Bravely Default arrives outside Japan, especially given Nintendo's announcement about helping Japanese 3rd parties get games released overseas. But just like its spiritual predecessor, it simply isn't a priority project as far as localizations go.

Well, it's a problem they are partially responsible for.
It has fuck all to do with Square Enix. Just a few years back they were releasing all of their DS & PSP games except for some super mega niche titles that would've sold 3 copies outside Japan (SaGA remakes) and anime tie-ins that they published. What happened? Those games mostly sold like shit or undertheir expectations, no matter that a lot of those games were the best JRPGs/games in general on those platforms. They tried supporting the genre in the west and were massively burned on it.

BraXzy

Let's hope the localization reads better than this.

Laughed way harder than I should have done. I really hope this isn't a majorly long process of waiting for them to officially announce it, then even longer for the release date to be confirmed etc etc.

Release it next month in the EU and US at the same time and make us all happy, go onnnn!

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I want to believe

But I've been hurt before :'( I don't remember how to dream and love

Negator

What are the chances of 8-4 Play being in charge of localizing this game? Are SE going to localize it themselves? What other companies are there that SE commonly uses for localization?

fates

It has fuck all to do with Square Enix.

For Dragon Quest? It sure does have to do with them. Like I said, they cut out party chat which is virtually 60% of the game's text and they are surprised when no one buys it? They released DQ5 in a small print run after that with next to no advertising and then for all intents and purposes dropped the franchise until Nintendo picked up the pieces.

Would DQ4 have been big even if it had party chat? That can be debated, but it certainly wouldn't have alienated the fanbase had they not cut it.

serplux

They've localized almost everything in recent years. Dragon Quest simply hasn't been that successful outside Japan, so in DQ's case they have let Nintendo do it. It's simply no wonder if they are a bit more careful nowadays given how they were given shit back for all their efforts (most of their PSP & DS efforts didn't sell all that well). DQ Slime is as niche as games get, 3DS sales aren't all that hot, 1 + 1 = no localization. And Type-0 was released for an already-dead-in-the-west platform, so there's a good reason for it not having a localization. I don't see any reason NOT to be confident that Bravely Default arrives outside Japan, especially given Nintendo's announcement about helping Japanese 3rd parties get games released overseas. But just like its spiritual predecessor, it simply isn't a priority project as far as localizations go.

Dragon Quest IX did pretty well in the West, by selling over a million. I think that shows that there is a significant interest in the franchise overseas. Even if Square Enix doesn't want to promote it, I'm sure Nintendo will treat a DQ7 remake with a hell of a lot more promotion than SE would ever do.

Aeana

For Dragon Quest? It sure does have to do with them. Like I said, they cut out party chat which is virtually 60% of the game's text and they are surprised when no one buys it? They released DQ5 in a small print run after that with next to no advertising and then for all intents and purposes dropped the franchise until Nintendo picked up the pieces.

Would DQ4 have been big even if it had party chat? That can be debated, but it certainly wouldn't have alienated the fanbase had they not cut it.
DQ5's print run was large enough that it took months to sell out. People seem to only remember it getting rare eventually, but that was when the first print finally started to disappear.

Eusis

DQ5's print run was large enough that it took months to sell out. People seem to only remember it getting rare eventually, but that was when the first print finally started to disappear.
Incidentally, if it vanished FAST we'd probably have seen SE take a very different stance on DQ, getting IX and VI published themselves, possibly having gotten the spin-offs here already, and VII and X would be questions on WHEN, not IF.

Well, at least we'd have DQV reprinted sooner than later, but if there was enough demand to sell out quickly it'd imply the series is more worthwhile to publish internationally beyond a few heavily marketed mainline entries.

CorvoSol

Gilgamesh has also been completely removed from Final Fantasy Type-0 at the request of forum goer MagiusNecros.

It's sad that I could think of alot of these and none of them that I would really consider absurd enough that SE wouldn't do at some point.

What would they even put in place of those 4 boss fights? That's 4 whole boss fights, man.

I still want Terry's Wonderland ,_,

Me too! So many memmories in that.

After playing Joker, I don't even care.

Give me Rocket Slime instead!

But Terry's Wonderland was the good DQM!

Top Bottom