• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

4 Niinjas will make that fight go easily. You can win without taking any damage using Utsusemi. Or grind your levels and other jobs and win with sheer force.

Yeah, my method worked but I had to be vigilant at all times. With 4 Ninjas, I could do it without trying, I was even falling asleep during the fights (6AM so a bit tired :p)
I'm going to finish the quest once I've slept a bit.

Just started Chapter 5
wat? I actually don't mind the wtf-ness, the plot was pretty boring and towards the end of Chapter 4 it was revealed that the Eternians were all pretty nice chaps before they all went crazy evil for some reason. Hopefully it gets even weirder

Ironjam

At what point would it be best to do
the vampire sidequest?
Tried to fight
the dark dragon a few times
and got my ass handed to me. My characters are level 52-53 right now, will probably just head to
the earth temple
tomorrow and leave the sidequest for later.

They get stronger with every chapter so ch4-5 are the best time to do them.

Fritz

At what point do you get the super attacks? I don't know if I remember them from the game or the demo.

Read up on it. So its basically that i havent triggered any yet. When it says for example rod = use white magic ten times. what does that mean? Ten times in one battle? I thought I've met those qualifications all the time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What do I do about the locked chests in the dungeons?

Also that dude in the
wind temple saying that I'm not qualified?

I think it's your job level. When you start a new job you'll only do a couple of hits. Level it up and you'll start doing more. I vaguely remember the game telling me this at some point XD I think certain weapons hit more often too. Bows seem to do at least 10 hits for me at a level 9 job compared to other level 9 characters with different weapons.

Job levels seem to contribute to everything though to a relatively minor extent. It stands out most where those multiple factors (like Ninja's who use relatively low powered weapons and rely on number of attacks to make up for it) but even for monks who are relatively unaffected the damage roughly doubles between job level and job level 9 when you're late in the game.

Agility does contribute to number of attempted hits per attack though (though there's a cap of 16 unless you have Frenetic Fighting equipped when it doubles) while Aim effects how many actually connect.

Also that dude in the

Re the dude: You need to unlock the Summoner class first. It's in Chapter 2.

Re: Chests. That's nothing to worry about for a long while yet. You get a key in
Chapter 6

so i really need help fighting
qada the salve-maker
. any tips?

Don't use Damage Dispersal since it'll just cause Dark Breath to hit your entire team for ~2500 damage. Angel Ward is okay. You get Dispel from
the shield bearer city
, use it to remove his regeneration. His Dark Breath is guaranteed to kill someone every so often so make sure you have Phoenix Downs in case he kills your healer.

Oxx

I have trouble remembering which order the special moves are listed in. Is the level 3 one at the top or the bottom?

Also that dude in the

Not really a big deal but I'll spoiler it anyway
those guys are how you get summons for the Summoner class. Go back to them after you've unlocked it, meet their condition and its yours

Just wondering, is there anything better damage wise than Default 3x -> Brave 3x -> Free Lunch -> Amped Strike x3 -> Brave x3 -> Amped Strike x4? I'm consistently getting 9999 on each hit using this (after Performer buffs). Hate to think I 'figured it all out', so to speak

Antiwhippy

Alright awesome.

Also man I haven't even touched the village building thing in this game. Is there a guide I can look up?

RE lover

I need help with some sidequest boss...
actually a group of bosses: salvemaker, black mague and the 2 conjurers

At the start of the battle first he uses fire bane which causes all my party to be weak against fire and right after that he uses prometheus fire which causes 9999 damage to instant kill all my party

All of this in the very first turn lol

My anti-fire equipment seems to prove useless

TeaFan

I've just got this game and am new to the genre. i feel like im going to get confused pretty fast in how the battles work but i love it so far

Jintor

Finally trounced Orthus somehow. For some reason it stopped spamming breath attacks once I dropped a major damage item I stole from it on its head and followed up with stomp spam and blizzards. When it stopped dealing 200 damage to each member and started only doing 100 damage to individual targets my healers caught up and I unloaded on the stupid beastie.

still in chapter 1 lol. I'm enjoying myself immensely but I find myself wanting to take my time with it...

Antiwhippy

I just finished that boss fight actually. All you had to do was do opposite elemental attacks to each head constantly and they'll only be able to do low damage bites.

Jintor

I got stuck there for a day because my first reaction in a boss battle is to examine with one char and default with the rest. Unfortunately that lets Orthrus get in at least one AOE, maybe two, and from there you're on a bad footing for the rest of the fight.

Antiwhippy

I thought it was a pretty neat way to play with the elemental part of the system.

Also christ that was just chapter 1? I thought I was in at least chapter 3.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I thought it was a pretty neat way to play with the elemental part of the system.

Also christ that was just chapter 1? I thought I was in at least chapter 3.

The game is long
too long

I got stuck there for a day because my first reaction in a boss battle is to examine with one char and default with the rest. Unfortunately that lets Orthrus get in at least one AOE, maybe two, and from there you're on a bad footing for the rest of the fight.

wait why... You examine once and keep a rough track in your head, your not supposed to examine every turn, hell you only need to do it on your first encounter with the boss.

I need help with some sidequest boss...
actually a group of bosses: salvemaker, black mague and the 2 conjurers

At the start of the battle first he uses fire bane which causes all my party to be weak against fire and right after that he uses prometheus fire which causes 9999 damage to instant kill all my party

All of this in the very first turn lol

My anti-fire equipment seems to prove useless
You can use 2 Spiritmasters alternating between using Enigma every few turns. As long as you keep that up then they can't damage you. Use Stillness for when you need to recover some BP. Alternatively you could go all out attack on Queda, trying to take him out before he uses Fire Bane, the rest of it should be easy after that

flowsnake

The game is long
too long

wait why... You examine once and keep a rough track in your head, your not supposed to examine every turn, hell you only need to do it on your first encounter with the boss.

Ever tried pressing left on the circle pad? It shows their status so you don't have to remember anything.

Jintor

I only examine the first turn, but what I mean is I generally wait to see what attack patterns it pulls out and defend everybody else.

Haven't finished yet but
I knew it! Now I get what everyone meant by the subtitle being a spoiler. The game 's title screen already changes on chapter 6. Could smell how shady it was a mile off.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Spoilerish question ahead:

Is anyone having a good time with the Valkyrie class? Using BP as a move cost just doesn't seem to work with how I'm playing the game. Am I missing something?

Is anyone having a good time with the Valkyrie class? Using BP as a move cost just doesn't seem to work with how I'm playing the game. Am I missing something?

Felt the same. Crescent Moon is useful for when you need to grind though. Otherwise I wasn't fond of the job.

mikeybass

Neo Member
Felt the same. Crescent Moon is useful for when you need to grind though. Otherwise I wasn't fond of the job.

I'm struggling all over for Edea honestly:

Tiz - Physical offense
(currently Ranger)
Agnes - Healer/offensive back up
(currenlty Red Mage)
Ringabel - Offensive magic
(currently Summoner/Black Mage)
Edea... No idea what to do.

Normally I wouldn't mind but the grind on job progression can be pretty intense. Seems a waste to stick with a job that won't be useful in the future.

flowsnake

I find it useful on bosses and ok for everything else.

I really like Ranger in this game, the doubled Aim stat gives you so many hits.

So ehm. Chaper 6 just started.
I really have to do everything again? Will this go on forever or something. How do I make this go faster, besides skip all the sidequests? I don't really need the JP...

oRuin

Bought a 3DS XL, BD, FE:A and got a copy of Chrono Trigger DS on the way.
Currently an hour in to BD, enjoying it so far.

I'm new to this, would love to have some DS friends! I have added all the UK Gafers in the list, will work on the rest later, takes time!

I have pm'd the op for my code to be added, in the mean time I've leave my code here.

Please add me!

2165-6502-2533

Speaking of that, if you protect a nemesis, can you then kill it over and over again?
So far I've protected every one of them besides Beelzebub from SQEX, without trying to kill them.

I also hope they'll cycle through all of them once they're over with the last ones. They rolled out Satan today, so there are only 2 more I think. And because I did not have the game when Beelzebub was available, it would help me if they restarted it all.

Top Bottom