• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breitbart to open in France & Germany + Expansion of US branch

Status
Not open for further replies.
They either won't be open for long in France or they'll severely tone down the white supremacist part.

Hate speech and incitation of hate speech are illegal here.

MogCakes

I hope the international public scrutinizes them at every step and follows them whenever they try to rebrand themselves.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I don't understand where all of this came from. It can't just be as a reaction to Obama because it's heavily ingrained in the BREXIT culture too. They literally just want to watch the world burn.
Racists finally realized that it you feign outrage whenever anyone accuses you of being a racist, most people - including the media - will give you the benefit of the doubt so they don't appear partial or intolerant.

Every european country has their own low life right wing news site.

The worrying trend, on my knowledge of Breitbart, is that they are more organised, and more sophisticated on passing the message.

Getting journous from those sites, and giving them a more mainstream appeal (because lets face it, there will be a lot of people turning to them) will make them more appealing and to an extent, more maintream

~Kinggi~

Banned
I dont understand how we can be so helpless against such obvious and transparent evil and corrupt happenings right now. i cant handle this

chadskin

France
France prohibits by its penal code and by its press laws public and private communication which is defamatory or insulting, or which incites discrimination, hatred, or violence against a person or a group of persons on account of place of origin, ethnicity or lack thereof, nationality, race, specific religion, sex, sexual orientation, or handicap. The law prohibits declarations that justify or deny crimes against humanity, for example, the Holocaust (Gayssot Act).

Germany
In Germany, Volksverhetzung ("incitement of popular hatred") is a punishable offense under Section 130 of the Strafgesetzbuch (Germany's criminal code) and can lead to up to five years imprisonment. Section 130 makes it a crime to publicly incite hatred against parts of the population or to call for violent or arbitrary measures against them or to insult, maliciously slur or defame them in a manner violating their (constitutionally protected) human dignity. Thus for instance it is illegal to publicly call certain ethnic groups "maggots" or "freeloaders". Volksverhetzung is punishable in Germany even if committed abroad and even if committed by non-German citizens, if only the incitement of hatred takes effect within German territory, e.g., the seditious sentiment was expressed in German writing or speech and made accessible in Germany (German criminal code's Principle of Ubiquity, Section 9 §1 Alt. 3 and 4 of the Strafgesetzbuch).

Good luck.

nampad

Isn't Germany pretty harsh on white nationalism?

We got a nationalist party in the recent years which is doing all too well these days. They emerged from being EU opponents and went on to batshit crazy racists. One of their leaders suggested to shoot refugees right at the border, including women and kids.

Horns

Trump's state run media is expanding to other countries. His personal propaganda organization. America looks like the bad guys.

The aim is to help elect right-wing politicians in the two European countries, where anti-immigrant sentiment has been on the rise, sources close to Bannon said.

I lived in Germany and I doubt white supremacists have a chance there even with breitbart, the alt-right support and Putin's money. AfD got popular just because the anti muslim inmigrant sentiment.

Ferrio

Banned
America looks like the bad guys.

I don't blame anyone for thinking that. At this point outside pressure might be the only thing that saves us from ourselves.

I lived in Germany and I doubt white supremacists have a chance there even with breitbart, the alt-right support and Putin's money. AfD got popular just because the anti muslim inmigrant sentiment.

Don't for a second handwave it away as something not to be worried about.

kswiston

They either won't be open for long in France or they'll severely tone down the white supremacist part.

They don't need to write anything approaching hate speech to get the same result. Focus on news stories that encourage xenophobia, overplay issues involving regional economic struggle. Attack the politicians/parties in power, painting them as corrupt, or weak in upholding cultural values.

You don't need to write "kick Muslims out of France!" To convince a segment of the population that they would be better off if they kicked Muslims out of France.

I dont understand how we can be so helpless against such obvious and transparent evil and corrupt happenings right now. i cant handle this

We had blatant evidence that a foreign power (Russia) was attempting to manipulate the results of the US Election, and the media just did not give a fuck.

They cared more about the ratings that could come from harping about "optics" than the fact that they were being put into a work. There was no subtlety.

Lime

Which is what caused Brexit, which is why the rise of fascism all across Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, which is why Le Pen is the second-biggest leader, which is why Austria might vote in a neo-nazi as President, which is why Poland has a highly right-winged government, and so forth.

Trump's state run media is expanding to other countries. His personal propaganda organization. America looks like the bad guys.

Nah, everything pre-November was us "looking like" the bad guys. This is the chapter where we discover we actually are the bad guys

Chariot

Isn't Germany pretty harsh on white nationalism?
*snort*

We really quick if you're really obvious, like swastika ok forehead obvious. But be the nice looking kind of racist and you're good.

Look at the Dönermorde and NSU. The BND is way more concerned with the left than with the right.

JordanN

Banned
How long until they start wearing uniforms? A year? Two?

It's a hell of a thing to see Nazism ascendant, given how much work it took to crush it last time.

Remember Donald's "Freedom Girls"? That was just a test run for HitlerTrumpjugend.

Cr34W60UEAAit0K.jpg

Following the RT strategy of exporting propaganda networks disguised as an alternative news source.

Disturbing but not at all surprising. Dark days ahead.

They need loud people like those on Young Turks. It's annoying that there's no Dem version of Breitbart because we need to counter their BS.

They don't need to write anything approaching hate speech to get the same result. Focus on news stories that encourage xenophobia, overplay issues involving regional economic struggle. Attack the politicians/parties in power, painting them as corrupt, or weak in upholding cultural values.

You don't need to write "kick Muslims out of France!" To convince a segment of the population that they would be better off if they kicked Muslims out of France.

Yeah but we already have media who do exactly that and are quite popular.

I don't see what they think their going to achieve that fdesouche or some mainstream media haven't already tried to be honest.

Joe

Good luck.

Yup. US-GAF loves to shit on Germany for their restrictions on free speech. Doesn't look so bad now does it?

Do not discredit or underestimate their 1) commitment, 2) resources, 3) savvy ability to normalize, 4) deceptive editorializing practices to outmaneuver government regulations, and 6) ability to take take root and develop an active and vocal following from the bottom-up.

Thinking it can't happen is the biggest threat to it happening.

Edit: if you think I am freaking out and overreacting: good. The fundamental principals of our society are good and a growing wave of people are trying to change them from the inside out. My opinion is simple: zero tolerance for racism, xenophobia, and ethno-centric policies.

And a reminder: our new American president was openly endorsed by the Ku Klux Klan and has just appointed the #1 white-nationalist propagandist in the country as his top adviser.

Being anti immigrant makes no sense. None whatsoever. Its like they want to trap people on specific parts of the earth and keep them there while white people get to roam free because reasons. wtf.

Sad world we're living in that websites like that can expand. The National Front will be happy though, just in time for the presidential election next year too.

Which is what caused Brexit, which is why the rise of fascism all across Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, which is why Le Pen is the second-biggest leader, which is why Austria might vote in a neo-nazi as President, which is why Poland has a highly right-winged government, and so forth.

Support for our right wing party has dropped a lot lately though. In last poll True Finns had around 8.3 % of support. During last elections they had around 20% of support.

Don't for a second handwave it away as something not to be worried about.

I don't want to be paranoid but I think all this flow of muslim refugees and Russia's financial support to extremist parties in Europe have been a wonderful chess play by Putin.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/russia/12103602/America-to-investigate-Russian-meddling-in-EU.html

Alo0oy

Banned
How did Breitbart gain so much power so fast? I've never heard of them until gators started flocking there.

kswiston

Being anti immigrant makes no sense. None whatsoever. Its like they want to trap people on specific parts of the earth and keep them there while white people get to roam free because reasons. wtf.

In Europe, the nationalists hate white immigrants too. Polish Migrants were targeted in those Brexit ethnic attacks.

They're going to walk the concern troll Zemmour line. Basically dog whistle as much as possible, show themselves as conservatives who care about values and the rural/suburban man facing economic anxiety while elites watch and Islam is everywhere. I mean, parts of Figaro (particularly their online segments) are already doing this, and Valeurs Actuelles is pretty much it. These two publications share these characteristics: they have young editors and writers, and their identity politics are the alt right's: anti-feminism (with a few reactionary women as their spearhead), anti-LGBTQ (see the anti-gay marriage movement and the "gender theory" bullshit), and xenophobia/racism (see refugees, Islam and Romas).

How did Breitbart gain so much power so fast? I've never heard of them until gators started flocking there.

They gained a full head of steam breaking the Anthony Weiner sexting story, then built off the momentum of right wing backlash to ISIS & social justice movements like BLM.

Pakkidis

Only a matter of time before it expands into Canada :( Once CPC gain power again I fully expect Breibart to make its move.

Mael

They're going to walk the concern troll Zemmour line. Basically dog whistle as much as possible, show themselves as conservatives who care about values and the rural/suburban man facing economic anxiety while elites watch and Islam is everywhere. I mean, parts of Figaro (particularly their online segments) are already doing this, and Valeurs Actuelles is pretty much it. These two publications share these characteristics: they have young editors and writers, and their identity politics are the alt right's: anti-feminism (with a few reactionary women as their spearhead), anti-LGBTQ (see the anti-gay marriage movement and the "gender theory" bullshit), and xenophobia/racism (see refugees, Islam and Romas).

Fuck me they're going to hire Zemmour, aren't they?
Haven't we already suffered enough with Minute, Rivarol, Valeurs Actuelles and the other fdesouche shitty rags?

kswiston

Only a matter of time before it expands into Canada :( Once CPC gain power again I fully expect Breibart to make its move.

It's too bad the Liberals and NDP clash on too many issues to consider a merger like the Alliance and PC did. The conservative party has never had more than 38% of the vote. Even in their majority days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom