• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brigador |OT| A modern-day Bedlam (Isometric mechs, destruction, 80s cyberpunk, etc.)

uTAuTfV.jpg

PC/Mac/Linux
Standard - $19.99 (Steam | Humble, itch.io), Deluxe - $29.99 (Steam, Humble, itch.io)
Deluxe Edition includes the 2-hour original soundtrack by Makeup and Vanity Set and a 74,000 word audiobook written by Brad Buckmaster, read by Ryan Cooper.
Audiobook/OST trailer | Early Access trailer | Contract trailer

Great Leader is dead. Solo Nobre must fall. Here is your contract
Brigador is an isometric mech action game full of intense, tactical combat. Fight your way through the streets of Solo Nobre in a 21 mission story campaign as well as a free play mode with endless variety.
  • Blast your way through completely destructible environments.
  • Unlock a selection of 40 weapons and 45 mechs, tanks, and hovercraft for a wide variety of play styles.
  • 20 high detail, hand-crafted levels for free play mode: short, high intensity playthroughs against randomized faction & enemy spawning where every run is different.
  • 21-mission story campaign-- learn the fate of Solo Nobre
  • Original soundtrack by Makeup & Vanity Set, 2 hours of original music!
FwKEkHX.gif

epmode

This looked like fun when I was watching early access videos. It's on my wishlist, not sure if I'll buy now.

It has an amazing Bedlam vibe, definitely wishlisting this for later.

Btw, the title has a typo (says Brigdaor instead of Brigador)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Was waiting for this to come out of Early Access, will probably nab it when I get home.

red731

Bedlam
All I can think of is Bedlam. I need more blood and aliens and Bedlam.
Fuckin Bedlam was the shit back then!

It has an amazing Bedlam vibe, definitely wishlisting this for later.

Btw, the title has a typo (says Brigdaor instead of Brigador)

Oh my god someone else remembers the carnage!

5taquitos

I've played the early release on and off, absolutely love the look. Guess I'll have to dive into the full release this evening!

Different mech/vehicles classes, and you equip their primary and secondary weapons?

Mechs, Heavy Mechs, Light Mechs, Powersuits, Gravtanks, Agravs, Gravbikes, Tanks, Heavy Tanks, Light Tanks,Treadbikes, etc.
MIRV artillery, Flamethrower, Flechette MG, Siege Mortar, Energy Beam, Rockets, Flare Gun, Maser/Microwave Gun, etc.

Feels much improved from the last time I played. Controls feel tighter and such. And the atmosphere is as awesome as ever, I love the lighting in the game

I haven't played this for a bit, but I had a ridiculous amount of fun during Early Access. I need to jump back in now that it's at full release.

Here's my favorite GIF I made from the Early Access:

PlumpIllinformedGalapagospenguin.gif

I used an in-game debug editor to modify the recoil and fire rate of a weapon. Made for a ton of fun skating around "on ice" while blasting my cannon.

RPS review
Brigador is glorious to behold – sweeping, detailed cityscapes clad in neon-flecked night, ordered and peaceful when a level begins, shattered and smoking by the time it ends. On the one hand it looks lo-fi, but on other the tide of destruction and intricate units make me feel as though I’m playing a tabletop game come to explosive, carefully-lit life.
It’s not Mechwarrior, no, but it scratches pretty much every other mech itch going, and with style.

JDB

Banned
Different mech/vehicles classes, and you equip their primary and secondary weapons?

Mechs, Heavy Mechs, Light Mechs, Powersuits, Gravtanks, Agravs, Gravbikes, Tanks, Heavy Tanks, Light Tanks,Treadbikes, etc.
MIRV artillery, Flamethrower, Flechette MG, Siege Mortar, Energy Beam, Rockets, Flare Gun, Maser/Microwave Gun, etc.
Sorry, the mech in the banner just reminded me a lot of the Tiberian Sun one. It's a pretty great mech.

Crayon

Holy mother this game looks glorious. I've never heard of it.

And it's out... right now?

(VIOLENTLY FUMBLES FOR WALLET)

Yeah it looks gorgeous. I love the lighting. The screenshot from RPS shows off the lighting well

brig2.jpg

Been playing quite a bit recently, and while it's definitely in the vein of dual stick, playing it like an action-y dual stick will only get you killed. This is the kind of game where being cautious is key. For example, funneling enemies into tight spots or staying at range depending on your weapons, shooting over buildings before enemies are alerted, and using your special items like smoke and camo judiciously. A well placed smoke screen let you escape to another corner of the map, but it can also blind a group of enemies for a few seconds. Play to the strength of your vehicle and loadout

Crayon

Just trying it out here. I see they'not chosen to ape the strategic map and multiple objectives of the strike games. Not saying it would have been there, but....

... Developer comment on that, please? You guys probably considered that. What where your thoughts? I imagine that style of level design would have resulted in far fewer levels.

You guys out there?

Karak

Its a fantastic game. Didn't even have to change my early access video. Its just fantastic fun.

Crayon

I'm having some trouble visually tracking my target and my own movement. Making this a little hard to get the hang of but gawdamn is this game gorgeous.

More games should look like this.

Crayon

Yea I wish it wasn't so dark, situational awareness is pretty rough.

I like the nighttime theme, and yes it has a dark look. I think it would be possible to approach the problem with some easier fixes.

I'd like to see the searchlight that indicates the front of your vehicle expanded quite a bit so it's easier to see, as well as more significant highlights for the firing reticles. Those are two things that can change. I'm thinking the general awareness difficulty is taking away from the game. It's a flaw.

Still super fun tho. I can't stop playing.

HughSJ

Neo Member
Just trying it out here. I see they'not chosen to ape the strategic map and multiple objectives of the strike games. Not saying it would have been there, but....

... Developer comment on that, please? You guys probably considered that. What where your thoughts? I imagine that style of level design would have resulted in far fewer levels.

You guys out there?

Freelance mode has 3 possible objectives you can complete for every map, whereas the story campaign is more like distinct level puzzles you have to figure out how to beat with the different combinations we give you. Bigger isn't always better.

The rational is twofold. First, we wanted to build a game that tailors itself to the desired experience of the player. To say I'm a huuuuuge fan of JE Sawyer's work would be an understatement; far as I'm concerned, he and Jaime Griesemer are two of the most interesting designers working in game right now. I didn't have the pleasure of attending this talk on person but it exemplifies my own philosophy with game design, which is that the onus on the designer is to provide the player with as wide a range of viable builds as possible without them all actually being optimal. Here's a link to the talk, I highly recommend it if you've played Pillars or if you have any interest in game design: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023481/Gods-and-Dumps-Attribute-Tuning

What we did with Brigador is build an enormous variety of playable vehicles and weapons. For "optimal" builds there's probably only a small handful, but I don't care about optimal. We built the variety for role-play and for difficulty management. In our game not all weapons and vehicles are created equal. But they're all different, and they all have their own flavor text. The idea is that if you actually invest in the game we give the option of pretty much any playstyle you want within the context of the game at hand. Want to be a giant tower of destruction with a huge explosive minigun and giant MIRV artillery? We've got you covered. Want to be a tiny hovercraft with a stealth suite and radiation guns that boil the pilots in their cockpits? We've got that too.

The Mech Warrior franchise is probably one of my biggest influences growing up in games, and I can't tell you how important it was to be able to not only pick the mech I wanted but load it out to my exact specifications. We don't manage the same microscopic customization per mech as MW does, but we make up for that by providing a huge variety of playable vehicles and weapons. Also there's only 4 of us making the game, so it's hard to compete with big studios in that regard.

The secondary reason is that honestly we just don't have the bandwidth to create custom content across a large spectrum of playable levels. When you have 40+ playable vehicles, it's extremely difficult to also provide a huge variety of possible end goals without reducing the player choice to insignificance. By locking the freelance objectives to a set 3 choices, yes it's not super varied, but at the same time it gives you a fixed target to shoot for, and also allowed us to actually design around having such a large number of playable vehicles be viable. As a player you can go ultra-violence and kill everyone / everything. This is the obvious choice, and the easiest to design for as well. The other two choices are assassination and objective destruction. With the former, we have to provide the player with the ability to get in and out quickly, also to enfranchise positioning. To that end we have directional damage (rear hits deal 2x-3x damage depending on the target) and a variety of weapons that can be applied at various ranges. The Black Hand for example is a current favorite, as while it's useless against shielded targets and deals no damage to the environment, it has enormous environment penetration and is very quiet. Since targets do not raise their shields unless alarms go up, this allows you to assassinate targets through obstacles without alerting nearby targets, while using an active camo ability to navigate the playable areas without detection.

We've done our best to give you a field of play that's worth exploring. The objectives themselves aren't "deep", but then again very few games are in that regard. In Spelunky your only goal is to get to the next exit. Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac it's kill all the units in your way. In that context we actually give you far more choice in the matter, and because we frontload all the customization even though not a whole lot changes *during* combat, we give you way more choice in how you play the game.

I hope that clears things up a bit. Let me know if you're got any other questions!

HughSJ

Neo Member
I like the nighttime theme, and yes it has a dark look. I think it would be possible to approach the problem with some easier fixes.

I'd like to see the searchlight that indicates the front of your vehicle expanded quite a bit so it's easier to see, as well as more significant highlights for the firing reticles. Those are two things that can change. I'm thinking the general awareness difficulty is taking away from the game. It's a flaw.

Still super fun tho. I can't stop playing.

Also we'd love to make the lights bigger but the problem is that they get exponentially more expensive with larger radii. As it is now we can't get any bigger than they already are without screwing over the min-spec. If you've got a nice rig though we can do super cool stuff with the lights.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh man very cool looking stuff. More_Badass we would be so lost without these threads for lesser known titles.

My bankaccount curses you lol

Crayon

Freelance mode has 3 possible objectives you can complete for every map, whereas the story campaign is more like distinct level puzzles you have to figure out how to beat with the different combinations we give you. Bigger isn't always better.

The rational is twofold. First, we wanted to build a game that tailors itself to the desired experience of the player. To say I'm a huuuuuge fan of JE Sawyer's work would be an understatement; far as I'm concerned, he and Jaime Griesemer are two of the most interesting designers working in game right now. I didn't have the pleasure of attending this talk on person but it exemplifies my own philosophy with game design, which is that the onus on the designer is to provide the player with as wide a range of viable builds as possible without them all actually being optimal. Here's a link to the talk, I highly recommend it if you've played Pillars or if you have any interest in game design: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023481/Gods-and-Dumps-Attribute-Tuning

What we did with Brigador is build an enormous variety of playable vehicles and weapons. For "optimal" builds there's probably only a small handful, but I don't care about optimal. We built the variety for role-play and for difficulty management. In our game not all weapons and vehicles are created equal. But they're all different, and they all have their own flavor text. The idea is that if you actually invest in the game we give the option of pretty much any playstyle you want within the context of the game at hand. Want to be a giant tower of destruction with a huge explosive minigun and giant MIRV artillery? We've got you covered. Want to be a tiny hovercraft with a stealth suite and radiation guns that boil the pilots in their cockpits? We've got that too.

The Mech Warrior franchise is probably one of my biggest influences growing up in games, and I can't tell you how important it was to be able to not only pick the mech I wanted but load it out to my exact specifications. We don't manage the same microscopic customization per mech as MW does, but we make up for that by providing a huge variety of playable vehicles and weapons. Also there's only 4 of us making the game, so it's hard to compete with big studios in that regard.

The secondary reason is that honestly we just don't have the bandwidth to create custom content across a large spectrum of playable levels. When you have 40+ playable vehicles, it's extremely difficult to also provide a huge variety of possible end goals without reducing the player choice to insignificance. By locking the freelance objectives to a set 3 choices, yes it's not super varied, but at the same time it gives you a fixed target to shoot for, and also allowed us to actually design around having such a large number of playable vehicles be viable. As a player you can go ultra-violence and kill everyone / everything. This is the obvious choice, and the easiest to design for as well. The other two choices are assassination and objective destruction. With the former, we have to provide the player with the ability to get in and out quickly, also to enfranchise positioning. To that end we have directional damage (rear hits deal 2x-3x damage depending on the target) and a variety of weapons that can be applied at various ranges. The Black Hand for example is a current favorite, as while it's useless against shielded targets and deals no damage to the environment, it has enormous environment penetration and is very quiet. Since targets do not raise their shields unless alarms go up, this allows you to assassinate targets through obstacles without alerting nearby targets, while using an active camo ability to navigate the playable areas without detection.

We've done our best to give you a field of play that's worth exploring. The objectives themselves aren't "deep", but then again very few games are in that regard. In Spelunky your only goal is to get to the next exit. Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac it's kill all the units in your way. In that context we actually give you far more choice in the matter, and because we frontload all the customization even though not a whole lot changes *during* combat, we give you way more choice in how you play the game.

I hope that clears things up a bit. Let me know if you're got any other questions!

Thank you for the very generous response and insight. I've put another 6 or 7 hours into the game and with the skill of piloting + shooting settling in., the game is coming into focus more and I'd say your combat in general which includes the equipment variety, environmental interaction, and most importantly depth is so strong that it lofts the game up with the classic strategic-iso-shooters despite the levels and goals being comparatively simple. Given your explanation above that it was a hard tradeoff, then I think you made the right decision and it all works. On my tenth or eleventh out of the game now, I noticed that I'm not missing the sort of drawn out learning curve of an old ea strike game and I appreciate that I can think on my feet more and be more creative while re-trying the somewhat puzzle like stages.

Also we'd love to make the lights bigger but the problem is that they get exponentially more expensive with larger radii. As it is now we can't get any bigger than they already are without screwing over the min-spec. If you've got a nice rig though we can do super cool stuff with the lights.

Mmm.... Can you fake the lights then because there is a borderline accessibility issue going on here. For some of us old enough to remember (and long for) the time when this kind of game was king, there sure is alot of tiny, dark, fast moving stuff to keep track of and it can strain the eyes. I LOOOOOOOVE the game but I think this could be an issue. It can make the game seem harder than it is, too.

Take for instance serious sam 3, and that game seemed frustrating in sections where the instantaneous reaction can be "these enemies shoot me from so far away". Turn off all the special effects and lighting however and that reveals that the real problem is a general readability of the enemies against the backgrounds. The game gets a little easier and more importantly feels more fair and fun when you can see those enemies clearly. Brigador has a slightly different but related issue where the detail density is just nuts and the parts are tiny and the speed is fast. Anything you can think of .... I think some big, cheesey highlights showing exactly where the ordinance was going to land would help the most because I noticed that accounting for this little judgement, while satisfying to grip on a per-weapon basis, was I think an unintentionally steep curve when learning along with everything else and lead to one of those "well shit why didn't someone tell me that" moments. It just tool me a long time to notice this nuance and made things feel artificially hard.

Good talking. I just love love love your game here and thanks for the Linux support. You have earned a fan.

HughSJ

Neo Member
Thank you for the very generous response and insight. I've put another 6 or 7 hours into the game and with the skill of piloting + shooting settling in., the game is coming into focus more and I'd say your combat in general which includes the equipment variety, environmental interaction, and most importantly depth is so strong that it lofts the game up with the classic strategic-iso-shooters despite the levels and goals being comparatively simple. Given your explanation above that it was a hard tradeoff, then I think you made the right decision and it all works. On my tenth or eleventh out of the game now, I noticed that I'm not missing the sort of drawn out learning curve of an old ea strike game and I appreciate that I can think on my feet more and be more creative while re-trying the somewhat puzzle like stages.

Mmm.... Can you fake the lights then because there is a borderline accessibility issue going on here. For some of us old enough to remember (and long for) the time when this kind of game was king, there sure is alot of tiny, dark, fast moving stuff to keep track of and it can strain the eyes. I LOOOOOOOVE the game but I think this could be an issue. It can make the game seem harder than it is, too.

Take for instance serious sam 3, and that game seemed frustrating in sections where the instantaneous reaction can be "these enemies shoot me from so far away". Turn off all the special effects and lighting however and that reveals that the real problem is a general readability of the enemies against the backgrounds. The game gets a little easier and more importantly feels more fair and fun when you can see those enemies clearly. Brigador has a slightly different but related issue where the detail density is just nuts and the parts are tiny and the speed is fast. Anything you can think of .... I think some big, cheesey highlights showing exactly where the ordinance was going to land would help the most because I noticed that accounting for this little judgement, while satisfying to grip on a per-weapon basis, was I think an unintentionally steep curve when learning along with everything else and lead to one of those "well shit why didn't someone tell me that" moments. It just tool me a long time to notice this nuance and made things feel artificially hard.

Good talking. I just love love love your game here and thanks for the Linux support. You have earned a fan.

Cheers man. You can actually turn lighting off entirely if you hit F1, upsize the window (bottom right corner), and go to the 'Rendering Control' tab. Under the 'Rendering Mode' sub-tab, set it to 'diffuse' and you'll get to see the game rendered just as pure sprites.

tujhrwx.png

For any of you guys who like to poke around the guts of games (doing that with Doom is how I got my start), we've left all the dev-tools in and you can live edit just about any of the data. Weapons and vehicles are probably the easiest to fiddle with, just pull up what you want to change in the 'pack file' tab or check out all the files associated with your current loadout via the 'Mech debug' tab. The only reason we haven't officially announced this stuff or the level editor is that we just haven't had time to properly tutorialize it, but it's something we're definitely going to do.

Gila Moo

Neo Member
Is there no way to use the ammo supply depots while your're in an AGRAV? I tried holding down the space bar near one but that resupply icon still doesn't show up.

Crayon

Is there no way to use the ammo supply depots while your're in an AGRAV? I tried holding down the space bar near one but that resupply icon still doesn't show up.

I didn't notice at first, but there are 4 kinds of ammo. Make sure the sign on the depot matches your hud icon. And I thought reload was r key?

Gila Moo

Neo Member
Yeah, I'm just now noticing that. And I meant to say I thought the AGRAV had to be grounded in order to resupply. I did try reloading using the R button.

Enjoying the game very much.

picked this game up a few days ago, really enjoying it. I got used to the tank controls pretty quickly, once it cilcks the combat becomes incredibly satisfying. the stealth and cover mechanics kinda remind me of hotline miami in the best way possible. really into the game's whole aesthetic and lore, too. the tone is on point.

edit: also, the game feels like a bargain at $20. feels like there's tons of content and loadouts genuinely change how you play the game enough to add countless hours of experimenting.

HughSJ

Neo Member
picked this game up a few days ago, really enjoying it. I got used to the tank controls pretty quickly, once it cilcks the combat becomes incredibly satisfying. the stealth and cover mechanics kinda remind me of hotline miami in the best way possible. really into the game's whole aesthetic and lore, too. the tone is on point.

edit: also, the game feels like a bargain at $20. feels like there's tons of content and loadouts genuinely change how you play the game enough to add countless hours of experimenting.

Cheers man, means a lot to hear that.

Personally I think we have a ways to go before the game properly 'gels'... There's just patterns and issues you don't see until you start getting serious foot traffic on your game, and since release there have been dozens of these rough edges that have surfaced so we're working full steam to resolve all of those. But even without those changes in I still think the game is quite fun :D

I almost feel like that development story post deserves its own thread. So much info in there the general gaming public and aspiring indie devs need to be aware of. Also super heartbreaking this game hasn't got the traction it deserves.

Mucho respect for allowing us to see behind the curtain, this and Cryptark are satisfying the mecha thirst with style. Congrats!

I'm a big fan of Makeup and Vanity Set too.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I almost feel like that development story post deserves its own thread. So much info in there the general gaming public and aspiring indie devs need to be aware of. Also super heartbreaking this game hasn't got the traction it deserves.
Agreed. The devs seem to have done virtually everything right, but the market seems beyond oversaturated at this point. A few years ago, and maybe a few years from now (if a big indie dev shakeout has happened), the game could've been profitable.

Crayon

This is a terrible outcome. This game is so good. I think the difficulty curve and player training has something to do with it tho. There are just going to be too many people who are not going to be able to get anywhere in this game and give up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
A lot of indie devs seem to be big fans of the movie "Field of Dreams". "If you build it, they will come" is a stupid fantasy that people need to let go of.

If you don't market your game, you won't sell your game, it's that simple. PS: Shotgunning out thousands of review keys to random youtubers is not enough.

Cheers man. You can actually turn lighting off entirely if you hit F1, upsize the window (bottom right corner), and go to the 'Rendering Control' tab. Under the 'Rendering Mode' sub-tab, set it to 'diffuse' and you'll get to see the game rendered just as pure sprites.

tujhrwx.png

This just increased the likelyhood of me getting this game fivefold. Just added it to my wishlist.

HughSJ

Neo Member
This is a terrible outcome. This game is so good. I think the difficulty curve and player training has something to do with it tho. There are just going to be too many people who are not going to be able to get anywhere in this game and give up.

We're adding new levels and have completely redone the tutorials to soften the difficulty curve.

A lot of indie devs seem to be big fans of the movie "Field of Dreams". "If you build it, they will come" is a stupid fantasy that people need to let go of.

If you don't market your game, you won't sell your game, it's that simple. PS: Shotgunning out thousands of review keys to random youtubers is not enough.

I've been attending and demoing at conventions for 2 years, have been working with a PR agency for over 1 year, and have flown out to San Francisco and New York to meet with press. All told we've spent >$10k for marketing purposes.

Loooooooooooooooooved the concept but just can't get used to the controls. Wish there is a better option besides the janky keyboard/mouse setup they have.

Crayon

Loooooooooooooooooved the concept but just can't get used to the controls. Wish there is a better option besides the janky keyboard/mouse setup they have.

It is straight up hard. Not just hard levels/enemies but the basic control take some legit dexterity.

ITS SO WORTH STICKING WITH IT. The key is to start off is to not play like a badass and know your limits. Play smart. Then the skills come as you push you limits and after a few hours, you refine your technique and it's so satisfying. It's like a driving game where you have to ride that line on the edge of your ability and you have to be smart about pushing it too far.

Victrix

*beard*

Not that I'm disagreeing it has a learning curve, but accusing a PC game of having 'janky keyboard/mouse controls' is pretty hilarious.

Top Bottom