• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Budweiser & Otto complete world's first shipment by a self-driving truck in Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
992941.jpg

First thing I thought of when I saw this on the news.

Are truck hijackings an actual issue, as people itt are making them out to be? Is this something that happens with regularity, outside of Breaking Bad and Fast and Furious movies?

Probably not, but cargo theft is pretty rampant. Particularly because it's really easy when it's not in a sealed (sea) container. Also cargo doesn't have gps, while the truck does.

DrSlek

Surely they would have to have a human present during deliveries still? For security if anything. It would be the easiest thing in the world to rob a self-driving vehicle.

Just have 3-4 people stand in front of it while another group raids the trailer.

knicks

Im pretty sure the law still requires there to be a driver present, so they'll still have jobs. Drivers who dont own their trucks will probably have to take a pay cut though..

Not only that, but you'll need a person to handle the actual delivery of the product whether it be order transactions, actual labor of taking it out of the truck, signing papers, security of goods in truck, etc...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Surely they would have to have a human present during deliveries still? For security if anything. It would be the easiest thing in the world to rob a self-driving vehicle.

Just have 3-4 people stand in front of it while another group raids the trailer.
On one hand, I feel like security can be supplemented by a more intricate system of computers, cameras, sensors, and physical security reinforcements that can be monitored remotely, but on the other I still feel like that would just open up a cottage industry of sophisticated hackers. Somehow, I still feel like that would be preferable to the number of truck driver related deaths and perhaps existing number of heists going on.

defiler76

Neo Member
See, at least one person gets it.

I do think it would make sense to have government investment in retraining employees in now obsolete fields, but I don't think that would ever pass congress.

Thank God some one gets it! Truck drivers will go the way of factory workers and kill the economy more, but will enrich the stock holders and CEO.
I live in South West Virginia and we cant take any more hit's like this Rural ass place that has been bleed dry as far as jobs are concerned!

Not only that, but you'll need a person to handle the actual delivery of the product whether it be order transactions, actual labor of taking it out of the truck, signing papers, security of goods in truck, etc...

Give it 5-10 years and you'll start to see these processes becoming automated as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom