• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can Retailers Dump Wii / U Inventory in Time to De-Complicate the Switch?

mindsale

When the average consumer goes to retail March 3rd to buy a Switch, they'll need a Switch console, a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and they may elect or choose to gift or be instructed to purchase some additional peripherals. Sometimes these will be clueless parents and grandparents who are unused to Nintendo's frankly obfuscatory naming policies (New 3 / DS / i / Lite / X / L / et cet), and I think that it may be unclear for the consumer yet again.

One thing they may choose to buy is a Pro Controller ($69.99). This is not to be confused with the existing Wii U Pro Controller or any Wii Classic Controllers they may see sharing aisle space with Nintendo's new peripherals.

Of course, they may just be told by their child, "I need another controller." In which case the shopper may blindly buy an additional JoyCon controller ($49.99) - either bundled individually or in packs of two ($79.99).

Should they need a JoyCon Charging Grip ($29.99), they'll have to navigate between the already present AC adaptors sold for the New 3DS, competing for shelf space.

The shopper may choose to buy a colored JoyCon wristguard / cover - not to be confused with any of the existing Wii / Wii Motion Plus "condom" wrist straps lingering in inventories.

With only 32GB of onboard storage, it's possible the consumer will want a memory card. And between SD and MicroSD and proprietary and non-proprietary everywhere in-store, that's going to be a potential struggle for the layperson.

Don't forget that Amiibos work with NFC on the Switch, so why don't you grab your son the Zelda one. Uh, well one of the 12 Zelda ones.

And should the consumer get all that right, let's hope the grandparent out shopping for their dear grandchild picked up the version of Breath of the Wild with the Switch Red Icon in the upper left portion of the box art, and not the sky blue arc of the Wii U version.

Has Nintendo thrown smoke in the eyes of the consumer with their naming conventions (ie; Pro Controller) and abundance of accessories? Will retailers deplete stock in time for a smooth transition to Nintendo's one platform that finally unifies its handheld and console divisions? Has Nintendo handled this changing of its platforms gracefully?

ViciousDS

Banned
whats a WiiU?

I don't know if you noticed.....they have been off the shelves since basically black friday lol

other then games for the most part.......you won't find a WiiU.

Best Buy barely has accessories as well.....its baren as hell on those shelves.

I-hate-u

It's certainly confusing in name, but at least the color branding of the packing of the accessories is different for the switch, being red and black instead of baby blue.

Also here in Canada it's hard to find Wii U games and consoles, let alone accessories.

Sakujou

Banned
to this very day, i cant wrap my head around the fact that "consumers" mistake wii u games, which are blue boxed, for wii games which are white/greyish.
it works with every fucking other brand, why not with nintendo?

nintendo now tries to clean their name off the wii u brand, so i sort of, unfortunately agree with you. loved the wii u for the good nintendo support.
now with the switch, i see a huge wave of unneccessary accessoires coming, so better clear all the NDS, WII and wii u stuff.

Wii U's, including the demo kiosk and endcap display, have all been returned to Nintendo as far as I can tell. I have also not seen a single 2DS or 3DS since Black Friday.

whats a WiiU?

I don't know if you noticed.....they have been off the shelves since basically black friday lol

other then games for the most part.......you won't find a WiiU.

Best Buy barely has accessories as well.....its baren as hell on those shelves.
Hahahaha. This.

Close the thread up, boys. Nothing to see here.

Top Bottom