• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada E3 Deals Thread 2016 |OT| 25x times better than last year!

So amazon is basically offering a group of 20% off deals and 30 dollars off deals instead of the old 30% off on all orders thing.

Depending on what games they include in the 30 dollars off portion, this new format could either be better or worse.

Here's an idea to be super safe:

- Pre-order everything you want into one big order right now to guarantee you don't miss out on the pre-order.
- Add every single game from that big order again to your shopping cart, let it sit in there until after E3 is done.
- Add any potential new games to your cart if they are added.
- on the last day of E3, finalize that order. If it goes through, cancel your previous one.

Not sure whether anyone has posted this or if they are doing it, but yeah. This will keep my mind at ease ahaha.

Quick question.

Best place to buy atm from Canada is Amazon?

What's the rate deal for 1/2/3+ games?

Same as last year? Need the info please :)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So amazon is basically offering a group of 20% off deals and 30 dollars off deals instead of the old 30% off on all orders thing.

Depending on what games they include in the 30 dollars off portion, this new format could either be better or worse.

The $30 off is matching Walmart. Don't expect more titles unless Walmart adds then.

BTW www.cdkeys.com has Deus Mankind Divided for $42 CAD. Doubt you'll find it cheaper before release.

Items (5): CDN$ 239.92
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 19.95
E3 20% Off: -CDN$ 2.00
E3 20% Off: -CDN$ 16.00
Total before tax: CDN$ 241.87
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 12.10
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 16.94
Order Total: CDN$ 270.91

Something is awry because that isn't 20%

Not ordering yet.

farisr

This isn't really a "new format". They got caught with their pants down when Walmart.ca decided to do $30 off on certain games and matched those ones. If it wasn't for walmart, all games on amazon would be 20% off.

Yasumi

Banned
The one semi-positive thing I can see is that you don't need a certain number of games to receive the discount, so if you end up canceling some games, it won't reduce the discount on the rest of the order. (I think that's how it worked)

gurvir93

Neo Member
5562366500.jpg

Welcome back to another year of the (formerly) most blessed event in Canadian gaming! E3 preorder deals have a long tradition in Canada, and they are back this year!

Not sure if this was mentioned or not but it looks like Best Buy works for In-Store also.

main01.jpg

main02.jpg

Right beside BF1, it says Preorder instore or online.

N° 2048

The one semi-positive thing I can see is that you don't need a certain number of games to receive the discount, so if you end up canceling some games, it won't reduce the discount on the rest of the order. (I think that's how it worked)

but you can only have one giant order per account.

farisr

Yeah, basically if for some strange reason you end up cancelling all but one game in the order, you still get the 20% off with this deal. Before, yeah, it was like buy 3 get 30% off, so if your order dropped below 3 games, the discount would go away.

The $30 off is matching Walmart. Don't expect more titles unless Walmart adds then.

BTW www.cdkeys.com has Deus Mankind Divided for $42 CAD. Doubt you'll find it cheaper before release.

I thought they were price matching Walmart as well but then why do they have this promo up?

SPlRuIr.jpg

Maybe they will add more games to the list, because atm it looks foolish to have this up with only 5 games being included.

So I just tried making a gigantic order, just to see what the numbers came to. Amazon split the order in two. Soooooo uhhh... I guess there's no way of making just one order?

UberTag

Not ordering yet.
That's the new math... where a 20% discount that should be $47.98 instead shows up as $18.00.

If you had any of the 49.99 titles, they may be listed, but they're not getting the 20% discount.
That's the more likely answer... although Amazon is intentionally confusing the matter by including some of those $30 off games in the 20% discount section. They're good like that.

Kyolux

Not ordering yet.

If you had any of the 49.99 titles, they may be listed, but they're not getting the 20% discount.

No_Style

I thought they were price matching Walmart as well but then why do they have this promo up?

SPlRuIr.jpg

Maybe they will add more games to the list, because atm it looks foolish to have this up with only 5 games being included.

There's nothing stopping them from propping up a price matched sale. They do it all the time for weekly sales, giving price matched sales slots on their deals section.

Games ending with .96 is an indicator that they're matching Walmart.

NYR

Yup, that's right, we're entitled because the price of games increased $20, and now the discounts we relied on to offset that are poor compared to previous years. C'mon dude.

$59.99 US = $76.49 CAN

The prices increased $20 because the CAD dollar is a shit-driven currency driven by commodities which have tanked while the US greenback shows strength on solid economic foundation.

This isn't America, our economy isn't as strong and it costs more for goods and services. This is Economics 101, using a discount to offset currency risk is an incredibly dumb way to look at this PRIVILEGE, which is not a right or a given because games cost more, no one was using currency as an excuse when it was 30% off when games were $59.99.

This sale is garbage. So a 79.99 game becomes 63 bucks after the 20% deduction, then after hst is comes to 72 bucks... How is that worth it? I mean sure it's better than paying 89-90 bucks after taxes everyone else will be paying post E3 but still.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
$59.99 US = $76.49 CAN

The prices increased $20 because the CAD dollar is a shit-driven currency driven by commodities which have tanked while the US greenback shows strength on solid economic foundation.

This isn't America, our economy isn't as strong and it costs more for goods and services. This is Economics 101, using a discount to offset currency risk is an incredibly dumb way to look at this PRIVILEGE, which is not a right or a given because games cost more, no one was using currency as an excuse when it was 30% off when games were $59.99.

What are you even talking about? Nobody's arguing it's a "right". Doesn't make it any less shitty.

I should find a way to filter out posts from people using "entitled" as an argument. It really is the new "u mad bro".

NYR

I still have open pre-orders for $39.99 from E3 2013. you damn right I'm entitled..

In 2013, the dollar was at par at the US and hence games cost $59.99. It was at par because WTI was over $100. It isn't anymore. It's called Economics and living in a country where things cost more.

farisr

$59.99 US = $76.49 CAN

Thanks for the economy lesson, doesn't change the fact that full priced games were $60 a few years ago and are now $80 while our incomes haven't seen a similar increase. It is not entitled to complain about increased prices.

Tapejara

$59.99 US = $76.49 CAN

Lol, I know how exchange rates work and I know why the dollar tanked. But are you really going to call people who now have to pay more than they used to entitled because they expected the same discounts they've received the past few years, even when the dollar was dropping?

Exhibit A. Exhibit B.

I was being sarcastic.

NYR

Thanks for the economy lesson, doesn't change the fact that full priced games were $60 a few years ago and are now $80 while our incomes haven't seen a similar increase. It is not entitled to complain about increased prices.

Your dollar had more value when it was at par, you should have bought a lot of US stock or currency when you had the chance. Complain to your boss about inflation, not to stores selling games that determine prices on a baseline of US MSRP and adjust it according on economic indicators like currency valuation.

Vinc

Exhibit A. Exhibit B.

Classic case of the internet changing the meaning of a word, I think.

I think they meant they realize they're spoiled. I don't think anyone actually thinks we're entitled to 39.99 video games :p

farisr

Your dollar had more value when it was at par, you should have bought a lot of US stock or currency when you had the chance. Complain to your boss about inflation, not to stores selling games that determine prices on a baseline of US MSRP and adjust it according on economic indicators like currency valuation.
What are you doing in here anyways. This is a Canadian thread. Sounds like you're not in Canada.

NYR

Lol, I know how exchange rates work and I know why the dollar tanked. But are you really going to call people who now have to pay more than they used to entitled because they expected the same discounts they've received the past few years, even when the dollar was dropping?
I'm not calling people who are made they have to pay $80 now for a game entitled - I am calling people who get a discount for pre-ordering games and then complaining about said discount because it was better in previous years entitled. Sticker prices suck, but I also realize why they are priced the way they are priced.

I was being sarcastic.
Fair enough, I probably came off as a dick, not intentional.

Tapejara

20% off is garbage?

No of course not. It's disappointing compared to previous years though.

I'm not calling people who are made they have to pay $80 now for a game entitled - I am calling people who get a discount for pre-ordering games and then complaining about said discount because it was better in previous years entitled. Sticker prices suck, but I also realize why they are priced the way they are priced.

Fair enough, I probably came off as a dick, not intentional.

No worries, I certainly didn't come off any better during our conversation. I get what you're saying, though; I just disagree that people expecting a bigger discount based on previous years are entitled. Amazon still offered 30% off when games were in the $74.99 - $79.99 range last year, and I think many of us were hoping they would continue with it this year.

N° 2048

I'm going to be that person.

Incoming...

Shit is so expensive nowadays. I don't get paid enough for working my ass off all day and barely get by on bills. So yes I am upset at these deals.
I guess I am being entitled and a baby.

Comparing to last year, the deals suck. Luckily I got a lot of games already pre-ordered from previous E3 sales.

Anyway sorry....

diaspora

PSA for Canuck PC Gamers:

Amazon's deals where the games are discounted to 49.99 only applies to the console versions. If you're looking for preorder discounts on the PC version of games, stick to wither GMG or CDKeys.com

It's fine to be upset but don't ignore the financial situation that got us here.

There are situations when we are being charged well above exchange. I think people have every right to be frustrated in those cases. The weak dollar is being used as an excuse to grab a few extra dollars from consumers.

lol okay - because I am using logic in my argument I must not be from Canada? Riiight. Guess again.

lol. Your avatar and username suggest your not from Canada but you've been around for a long time.

Everyone's getting upset. This isn't how it's supposed to go.

E3 is happy time.

farisr

lol okay - because I am using logic in my argument I must not be from Canada? Riiight. Guess again.
Or when you say things like
Your dollar
and have a NYR avatar, it makes it seem like you're not in Canada.
I'm a Canadian moving to the US for work tomorrow. Am I not welcome here as well?
If you were calling people entitled for complaining about increased prices and bringing up the same old tired US exchange rate arguments while seeminlgy ignoring how it's effecting the actual people whose incomes haven't increased, yeah I wouldn't want you here.

It's shitposting as far as I'm concerned

I remember last year a bunch of 79.99 games had days where they were 69.99. That's my hope to getting a little bit more off from these games.

vulva

Or when you say things like and have a NYR icon, it makes it seem like you're not in Canada.If you were calling people entitled for complaining about increased prices and bringing up the same old tired US exchange rate arguments while seeminlgy ignoring how it's effecting the actual people whose incomes haven't increased, yeah I wouldn't want you here.

It's shitposting as far as I'm concerned
So being logical is shitposting but whining about a discount being too low when you're not owed anything isn't?

Top Bottom