• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 4: That $70s Show

Did anyone order from futureshop.ca on on or around black Friday and a have received their item with getting notice of shipping or being charged for the item?

Lexxism

Hmm? What do you mean?

Pretty similar with BB/FS ISPU but instead of store you can pick it up near your house. Like picking it up in your local SDM. Pretty convenient especially you don't need to worry about UPS delivery :lol

yLvV4Iu.png

Tapejara

For some reason I was under the impression that FutureShop offered release day shipping. Captain Toad still hasn't shipped and I was hoping to play it tonight. Is it because I went with the free shipping option?

I originally had the order with Amazon because of the E3 deal, but I switched over to FutureShop when they did that "$10 off Captain Toad" promotion. Guess I should've stuck with Amazon.

zroid

Banned
For some reason I was under the impression that FutureShop offered release day shipping. Captain Toad still hasn't shipped and I was hoping to play it tonight. Is it because I went with the free shipping option?

I originally had the order with Amazon because of the E3 deal, but I switched over to FutureShop when they did that "$10 off Captain Toad" promotion. Guess I should've stuck with Amazon.

doesn't have much to do with free shipping, it's just a crap shoot really

for me they usually ship games the day before release so I get them on day 1, but not always. i will say that most people have a better success rate for release day delivery with BB/FS than Amazon (unless you have Prime).

if you really want to play it now, just do the return swap thing.

khaaan

They seem to be hit or miss. I almost always get Futureshop stuff on launch day but being a day late isn't new. Some people on the other hand have had problems with them consistently. The last few orders I've had with Amazon have taken so long to even start prepping to ship but some people are reporting a better situation now.

Anyone have any luck with cancelling EBGames online preorder or tracking? I ended up ordering the Hori controllers there, and I've been billed, and yet no tracking, or dates.

Zeeman

Pretty similar with BB/FS ISPU but instead of store you can pick it up near your house. Like picking it up in your local SDM. Pretty convenient especially you don't need to worry about UPS delivery :lol

yLvV4Iu.png

Where is this option? I can't seem to find it.

Tapejara

doesn't have much to do with free shipping, it's just a crap shoot really

for me they usually ship games the day before release so I get them on day 1, but not always. i will say that most people have a better success rate for release day delivery with BB/FS than Amazon (unless you have Prime).

if you really want to play it now, just do the return swap thing.

They seem to be hit or miss. I almost always get Futureshop stuff on launch day but being a day late isn't new. Some people on the other hand have had problems with them consistently. The last few orders I've had with Amazon have taken so long to even start prepping to ship but some people are reporting a better situation now.

Ah, thanks. Guess I'll just hold out for next week then.

OK, so I think I boned myself twice today:

Hori themed Wii controllers, EBGames hasn't gotten back to me, but has charged my card, and has no shipped date; Amazon had a ship date, but I cancelled, and now I look at their page and the prices have doubled (27 and 54, respectively)/

GC adapter + Smash GC controllers -> Walmart still has my on their backorder. It's never coming in is it?

What are my choices?

khaaan

Futureshop having a gaming sale this Sunday. I'm not expecting much but some sort of B1G1 deal or something of the like is always welcome.

Nice! Ordered a set for myself, I've actually only read the Hobbit so it'll be fun to check out LotR. I tried getting into the fantasy book genre with The Wheel of Time but it's so dry.

OK, so I think I boned myself twice today:

Hori themed Wii controllers, EBGames hasn't gotten back to me, but has charged my card, and has no shipped date; Amazon had a ship date, but I cancelled, and now I look at their page and the prices have doubled (27 and 54, respectively)/

GC adapter + Smash GC controllers -> Walmart still has my on their backorder. It's never coming in is it?

What are my choices?

With all this demand I don't think it'll be impossible to find one eventually. For what it's worth I can find the GC controllers pretty easily, it's just the adapter that's out of stock everywhere. If you were hoping to get one ASAP then you might be out of luck.

ohlawd

dunno about the pickup amazon thing. I'm not bothered by the delivery speed more than they take fucking forever to get stuff ready for shipment.

target deal is good with the free amiibo. Picked up Peach and Captain Toad.

With all this demand I don't think it'll be impossible to find one eventually. For what it's worth I can find the GC controllers pretty easily, it's just the adapter that's out of stock everywhere. If you were hoping to get one ASAP then you might be out of luck.
I don't mind waiting. I just don't like the idea that EB has decided to bill me already, without shipping notice, and that they also show they are out of stock. What's the point?

Nice! Ordered a set for myself, I've actually only read the Hobbit so it'll be fun to check out LotR. I tried getting into the fantasy book genre with The Wheel of Time but it's so dry.

Ha, good luck with LotR -- they are the Sahara of fantasy dryness. It took me years to get through Fellowship and I gave up very early on with Two Towers. The main series books are nowhere near as approachable as The Hobbit.

dunno about the pickup amazon thing. I'm not bothered by the delivery speed more than they take fucking forever to get stuff ready for shipment.

target deal is good with the free amiibo. Picked up Peach and Captain Toad.

Yeah, it's more because I live in an apartment, so it's pretty random how deliveries are handled, especially since Amazon now uses a courier service in Vancouver that I literally need to be home to sign for. If I can just put it all at one location and not have to worry about it, I'm all for it. Helps that the post office is literally a four minute walk for me ;)

zroid

Banned

Ha, good luck with LotR -- they are the Sahara of fantasy dryness. It took me years to get through Fellowship and I gave up very early on with Two Towers. The main series books are nowhere near as approachable as The Hobbit.

Haha yeah I was gonna say, LotR is a lot drier than Wheel of Time. :p

Great books, not for everyone though.

yLvV4Iu.png

Holy shit.

Also something interesting. This might be old. But Canada Post recently threw a weird parcel deposit box into my apartment building in Midtown Toronto. They throw your parcel or whatever in the box, and they leave the key for the deposit box inside your mailbox. After you're done retrieving your package you just toss the key into this collection hole or whatever and that's it. Guess they thought this was faster than just buzzing people.

jholmes

So my Captain Toad hasn't shipped from Future Shop, so I called customer service. The woman there straight up says I should go into a Future Shop, buy the game and then return the shipped copy. I was surprised so I texted a guy I know who works at Future Shop and he said it's an accepted solution.

I'm kinda shocked. I know everyone did this, but I didn't think they encouraged it.

Zeeman

Aw, I was hoping that preordered Amiibos would also be free with Captain Toad on Amazon, but it wouldn't let me use the code for Toon Link.

Holy shit.

Also something interesting. This might be old. But Canada Post recently threw a weird parcel deposit box into my apartment building in Midtown Toronto. They throw your parcel or whatever in the box, and they leave the key for the deposit box inside your mailbox. After you're done retrieving your package you just toss the key into this collection hole or whatever and that's it. Guess they thought this was faster than just buzzing people.

Seems like an acceptable solution.

zroid

Banned
Aw, I was hoping that preordered Amiibos would also be free with Captain Toad on Amazon, but it wouldn't let me use the code for Toon Link.

well I had tested this earlier with Captain Falcon and it worked... maybe it's just an issue with Toon Link?

So my Captain Toad hasn't shipped from Future Shop, so I called customer service. The woman there straight up says I should go into a Future Shop, buy the game and then return the shipped copy. I was surprised so I texted a guy I know who works at Future Shop and he said it's an accepted solution.

I'm kinda shocked. I know everyone did this, but I didn't think they encouraged it.

lol amazing, although I'm guessing they meant you should return the shipped copy with the online receipt right? unless you told them you got it at a discount online?? :O

Zeeman

well I had tested this earlier with Captain Falcon and it worked... maybe it's just an issue with Toon Link?

That is weird, Toon Link still wouldn't work, but I tried it with Mega Man and it worked. So it does seem to be a specific issue with that one for some reason.

jholmes

lol amazing, although I'm guessing they meant you should return the shipped copy with the online receipt right? unless you told them you got it at a discount online?? :O

I didn't mention the discount to the first person, I did with the second though. He said it beats telling the customer to just sit there and wait, and I can't argue with that.

Ricker

Not a big savings but I needed some PSN money...Target are having buy a second card get 20% off thing going all week I think...you save a big 4 bucks on two 20 dollar cards lets say...better then nothing lol...

antibolo

Banned
Not a big savings but I needed some PSN money...Target are having buy a second card get 20% off thing going all week I think...you save a big 4 bucks on two 20 dollar cards lets say...better then nothing lol...

They did the same thing last month, bought $200 of PSN for $180.

Guess I'll go there again tonight.

amrod

my FS captain toad shipped, pre-ordered during the e3 sale @ 46.42. They charged me that price instead of going rate for the game currently on their website of 44.99!

It should be coming monday, if they dont fix the price up to match the e3 discount I'm gonna return it.

BTW last chance for Calgary GAF anyone want The Crew ps4 (still sealed) for $45.. I decided to play it on PC, If not I'll just return it

xclaw

Free Amiibo w/purchase of Toad Tracker @ Target this week only.

Not to shabby for those who like physical copies of their games.

Sweet Ivy

Customs can take forever.

I remember one package got stuck over two weeks and that was from the US!

The reason I'm perplexed is that I've received other parcels of this kind in the past and it usually took a couple of days through the customs...

Mimosa97

yLvV4Iu.png

This is old news, no ?

When they deliver my package and i'm not home, i have to go to a store nearby to pick it up. So they've kinda been doing this " in store pick up " for a long time. I don't know what we have to gain in choosing pick up instead of delivery.

Mimosa97

Holy shit.

They've done the same thing here in my building (downtown Montreal). It really comes handy but people got fired and they're trying to shut down the nearest Post office. It's a double edged decision.

Sora_N

Hmm I wonder which Amiibos will be the most limited in Wave 2.

Well for some reason Diddy is sold out on both FS/BB's site.

I think it will be Pit, Captain Falcon and Diddy but not sure what the assortment is like.

Also lol some asshole is selling Marth for $150 on Craigslist in Vancouver/Richmond.

Lexxism

This is old news, no ?

When they deliver my package and i'm not home, i have to go to a store nearby to pick it up. So they've kinda been doing this " in store pick up " for a long time. I don't know what we have to gain in choosing pick up instead of delivery.

No? I didn't see that option last week when I was browsing their site. This seems like a new feature in their site (or unless this is really old).

Also, in my case, Amazon always ships my package with UPS (no Canada Post for some odd reason) and of course no one is at home at around 11am to 3pm (the usual delivery at my place) to pick it up. So, UPS will have to bring the package to their facility which is an hour and half from my house (one way). Having an option to deliver an item to a store/post office nearest to my house is a very very very big convenient for me since I don't have to worry to waste my time picking it up at the UPS facility. (who knows this might be a convenient to others as well). Just sharing it to everyone.

Holy shit.

So basically the community mailboxes they do in many suburbs now, but just the parcel bit. If this method doesn't count as a "drop ship," I'd beg Canada Post to put one in my building.

Mimosa97

No? I didn't see that option last week when I was browsing their site. This seems like a new feature in their site (or unless this is really old).

Also, in my case, Amazon always ships my package with UPS (no Canada Post for some odd reason) and of course no one is at home at around 11am to 3pm (the usual delivery at my place) to pick it up. So, UPS will have to bring the package to their facility which is an hour and half from my house (one way). Having an option to deliver an item to a store/post office nearest to my house is a very very very big convenient for me since I don't have to worry to waste my time picking it up at the UPS facility. (who knows this might be a convenient to others as well). Just sharing it to everyone.

Ok sorry i didn't know that. My nearest pick up store to is like 1km away from where i live so i thought it was the same for everyone ...

Damn one hour and a half ? That sucks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anyone have this problem with Futureshop?

I bought a DVD and they shipped it with a bad tracking number. I call in and they insist it's shipped by something called "Canada Post Letter Mail" and that there's no tracking. Even though everything I've ever bought from them has had tracking.

And it's frustrating because I have no idea if its true or the incompetence of the holiday customer service people that they have hired for the holidays, because I have no idea what that even means.

zroid

Banned
Anyone have this problem with Futureshop?

I bought a DVD and they shipped it with a bad tracking number. I call in and they insist it's shipped by something called "Canada Post Letter Mail" and that there's no tracking. Even though everything I've ever bought from them has had tracking.

And it's frustrating because I have no idea if its true or the incompetence of the holiday customer service people that they have hired for the holidays, because I have no idea what that even means.

Interesting... they have shipped me something by lettermail once before, but it was just a steelbook

Oddly I got free shipping on it despite only costing $5 so maybe that's why

Lexxism

Ok sorry i didn't know that. My nearest pick up store to is like 1km away from where i live so i thought it was the same for everyone ...

Damn one hour and a half ? That sucks.

I actually have a nearby UPS which is 2km away from my house but for some odd reason they deliver the package to out of nowhere where it will at least take me more than an hour by bus. UPS is really frustrating.

Sora_N

Anyone know how to check if something has been taxed for duties?

I helped my dad order a OnePlusOne and it cleared customs apparently, does that mean I will or won't get dinged with duties?

Carrier: United States Postal Service
Info: Your item cleared customs in CANADA at 7:38 pm on December 4, 2014.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Interesting... they have shipped me something by lettermail once before, but it was just a steelbook

Oddly I got free shipping on it despite only costing $5 so maybe that's why
Is it true that Lettermail doesn't have tracking?

This junk is on my order, so I have no idea what I'm supposed to be looking at:
Shipment 1 Shipped via [ERROR RESOURCE KEY MISSING : Category : GlobalCodeDescriptions ; Key : NA] Standard Delivery on 12/02/2014. Tracking information may not be available for 24 hrs.

Top Bottom