• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

markatisu

Loudninja said:
Gamereactor gave it a 7/10

I think thats a fair score, and probably the average when you factor in the scores that are going to rip the game for being a quick cash-in port vs those that are looking at it as a purely new game.

Tenbatsu

Loudninja said:
It's a short review, the bullet points being
1. The zombies are even stupider than in the 360-version (if that's possible..).
2. The new gameplay-mechanic is much more dependent on firearms that melee. Combining this with the fact that zombies are far fewer the game relies more on just running around gunning down zombies with shotguns, making for a much more "relaxed" gameplay than the 360-version.
3. The only real negatives being the camera, sound and graphics

Meesh

Loudninja said:

good gawd...maaaaaaaaaan!?! Let this be a warning to all you shovel happy Mc shovel porters out there.

Build from the ground up devs, the ground up!!!!

The people that care about these games on the Wii are likely to be on the net, we know a bad deal when we see it. We're aware of your shady shoveling damn it!!!

...still gonna rent it though...

markatisu

Tenbatsu said:
1. The zombies are even stupider than in the 360-version (if that's possible..).

Well god if that tunnel video was any indication the game should be an absolute breeze :lol

Tenbatsu said:

So Nakai straight-up lied about upgraded AI on the Top Secret podcast. Nice.

Chinner

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
2. The new gameplay-mechanic is much more dependent on firearms that melee. Combining this with the fact that zombies are far fewer the game relies more on just running around gunning down zombies with shotguns, making for a much more "relaxed" gameplay than the 360-version.
3. The only real negatives being the camera, sound and graphics
Oh. I guess its still unknown whether or not the survivor A.I is improved? Even if it turns out it isnt it probably won't be as annoying considering there are less zombies and those zombies who do remain are now stupdier (is that even a word?).

Tenbatsu

Official Nintendo Magazine
dead rising :chop till you drop 68%

Others

House of the dead overkill 90%
pikmin new play control 86%
simanimals 54%
we cheer 28%
cooking mama world kitchen 64%
tenchu: shadow assassins 72%
family ski and snowboard 62%
deadly creatures 81%

markatisu

comedy bomb said:
The new videos didn't look too bad actually.

And as sad as it sounds I will still be buying it because I have a $25 gift card so this game will cost me about $10. So it basically needs to be on par with a download or Wii Play and I think it will succeed at that

Xellos

Tenbatsu said:
Guess I am the only one dying to play this game:lol

I'm still looking forward to it too. The original version was my favorite 360 game for a long time (recently displaced by BK: Nuts & Bolts), and even with the downgrades/changes I think this version will be fun.

Stitch said:
:lol the pop-in where he's throwing the saw blade :lol

game looks worse than RE4 on PS2

That's how they'll keep the challenge up with fewer zombies. You never know when one will pop in right next to you and eat your face before you have time to react :lol

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
bomb_jack said:
You have to be joking surely?

fraid not: (info is about a month old though, but i'm just now reading up on it :p)

Nintendo Power said:
On the other hand, there are far fewer items strewn throughout the mall with which to bludgeon zombies, and you can now carry only one melee weapon at a time. A much great emphasis is placed on firearms and collecting ammunition, making the whole affair feel less visceral. Perhaps the strangest difference, though, is Frank can no longer jump.

this and the omission of the camera mechanic make this game a failure even before you see one screenshot

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Well, it does make sense. Leon couldn't jump in RE4, had one melee weapon (the knife) and couldn't take photos.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Frencherman said:
If this game meet Capcom's expectations, we have the ultimate proof that the world is bad...
They would probably greenlight Bionic Commando Wii Edition, with the RE4 engine and no bionic arm.
:)

Ok ive been seeing nothing but people bashing this, both in this thread and in the DR2 thread...

Can someone sum up why/how this game is so much worse? I REALLY want DR but up untill a few days ago I didnt have a 360. So I was looking to this game as a my savior.

Looks like I should just dig up an old 360 version.

Still Id like to know exactly why its getting so much crap.

Is it just a real lazy port?

zoukka

WTF @ that tunnel driving video?! Looks like some random shovelshit...

Why does Capcom hate Wii?

24whrvc.gif

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
zeelman said:
Bionic Commando without the bionic arm? Who wants to play Commando? XD
I want to play Captain Commando
which probably would use the RE4 engine and wouldn't have co-op

Lavpa Jasai said:
Ok ive been seeing nothing but people bashing this, both in this thread and in the DR2 thread...

Can someone sum up why/how this game is so much worse? I REALLY want DR but up untill a few days ago I didnt have a 360. So I was looking to this game as a my savior.

It's probably best not to think of this game as a substitute for the original Dead Rising. Treat it more like a spin-off. A weird spin-off. It might be fun, but if you really want DR, this almost certainly is not it.

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's probably best not to think of this game as a substitute for the original Dead Rising. Treat it more like a spin-off. A weird spin-off. It might be fun, but if you really want DR, this almost certainly is not it.

I would treat this with respect if it was a spinoff, but from what we've seen it's just a completely butchered port. Unless I'm missing something and theres new story/bosses.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Segata Sanshiro said:
I like to think it's a fanmade, Dead Rising-themed mod of RE4.
This way, it looks awesome and nearly professional quality.

PSGames

Lavpa Jasai said:

Dude you can get the 360 version for cheaper than you'll be able to buy this downgraded port/side game. The choice should be easy. Dead Rising is an amazing game and deserves to be experienced in all it's glory not stripped down like this.

Arpharmd B said:
I would treat this with respect if it was a spinoff, but from what we've seen it's just a completely butchered port. Unless I'm missing something and theres new story/bosses.
I don't know, sounds to me like it's a really different game, even if it does follow the same story. I think the gameplay changes take it out of portsville and drop it more into that nebulous area that "same title, same story, different game" portable versions fall into.

pakkit

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't know, sounds to me like it's a really different game, even if it does follow the same story. I think the gameplay changes take it out of portsville and drop it more into that nebulous area that "same title, same story, different game" portable versions fall into.
That's what it reminds me of: those really bad downports the PSP was getting early on during its lifetime.

pakkit said:
That's what it reminds me of: those really bad downports the PSP was getting early on during its lifetime.
Most of the downports on the PSP were pretty close to the originals except with the futzing of lacking the second analog. To me this is more like um... the DS version of Call of Duty 4 or something.

pakkit

Banned
Vdragoon said:
They shoehorned the game onto the RE4 engine and did a terrible job. I hope the game bombs.
I was playing RE4 today and it looks leagues better than this game. That's where a lot of my disappointment stems. I'm sure this game will be stupid fun, but if you're gonna use the game engine for one of the greatest games last-gen, you gotta pay your respects.

godfather2.jpg

farnham

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Most of the downports on the PSP were pretty close to the originals except with the futzing of lacking the second analog. To me this is more like um... the DS version of Call of Duty 4 or something.
the ds version of cod 4 was actually pretty good

KevinCow

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, well, I'm not really discussing quality here so much as trying to present two games with near identical titles and stories but fairly different gameplay.
The DS version of CoD4 actually followed a different story. Same war, but different characters and scenarios. And gameplay-wise, was actually pretty close to the console versions.

I think the best examples for what you're saying would be the various console to GBA ports that happened last gen. Like Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia, Rayman 3... you know, for some reason, I can't think of any outside of Ubisoft, but I'm pretty sure they existed.

Segata Sanshiro said:

it looks to be a user made Dead Rising mod for Resident Evil 4 done by a country I can't spell

Top Bottom