• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom completely denies that their COO says SF5 could have pay2win mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Simple commands, like Vs.? Maybe?

I like the Simple Command option that was in the vs. games, since it'd let casuals mess around in the game and manage to have a good time. Why they don't just toss that in and just let the usual FG scene go about normally is beyond me.

Devil's Advocate: Pay-for-advantage won't affect the tourney scene and there's no doubt that the main online mode will not have pay-for-advantage. Capcom's looking for the best of both worlds: To cater towards those who want classic Street Fighter action, and towards those who want to give Capcom money.

I'd rather have this than a straight mobile game.

Remember when StreetFighterXTekkens main online mode didn't have gems? Oh wait, every mode had gems and there was no way to avoid playing with them?

Bizazedo

How the fuck hard is it.

Start with x amount of characters, sells LOTS of costumes for $$. Slowly sell additional fighters.

Done. Done.

Just put the pay for advantage people in their own mode and no one should give a shit. Pitting them up against people who want to pay for skill is dumb.

Lernaean

Banned
As a means to achieve that (prevent unskilled players from losing instantaneously), Capcom is looking into possibly implementing some kind of pay-for-advantage system in Street Fighter 5 that will allow new players to cover for their lack of skill in matches.

No, pay for having a helmet depicting a bronze dildo for Deep Down (is there a pun here?) is ok, pay-for-advantage in competitive e-sports is not. Period!

WTF Capcom?

IronLich

This begs the question of... do we really NEED Street Fighter 5?

Look how fucking packed full of content and playerbase Street Fighter IV is now with Ultra. That can go for another 10 years if you let it. A new age Super Turbo, if you will.

And there's no way in hell a SF5 can manage equal content of what SF4 became, even in 5 years. I have absolutely no problem with letting them get whatever they can out of SF4, because it's the new standard, and the most familiar to gamers, and people are continuously supporting every update. There is no equal in terms of worldwide appeal in terms of fighting games that equals SF4.

We don't NEED Street Fighter 5.

Skilletor

comments like this lol
always give me the chuckles

If I didn't have a next-gen console, the moment SF5 dropped would be the second I bought one.

Look how fucking packed full of content and playerbase Street Fighter IV is now with Ultra. That can go for another 10 years if you let it. A new age Super Turbo, if you will.

And there's no way in hell a SF5 can manage equal content of what SF4 became, even in 5 years. I have absolutely no problem with letting them get whatever they can out of SF4, because it's the new standard, and the most familiar to gamers, and people are continuously supporting every update. There is no equal in terms of worldwide appeal in terms of fighting games that equals SF4.

I need it.

SF5 will be the biggest fighting game ever in terms of community and appeal. The updates are great for the competitive scene, but casuals stopped caring about these small updates a long time ago. SF5 would start the cycle over again, but with a wider audience and a game built around the social aspects that have become popular since SF4's release.

gorfyako

Banned
Remember when StreetFighterXTekkens main online mode didn't have gems? Oh wait, every mode had gems and there was no way to avoid playing with them?

I didn't pay any attention at all to that game, so you got me there. Here's hoping Capcom learned their lesson... ? I mean, as I said, at least it sounds like they're actually making a sequel and not just relegating the franchise to mobile like they've done with a few of their other franchises.

jmdajr

Why not implement some handicap mode? Those have existed from day 1 in the home versions.

Beefier health bars for horrible people like me.

OceanBlue

Reminds me of the April Fool's joke French Bread did for UNIB lol. I hope I can look forward to news about the game being interesting rather than stuff like this. :<

Devil's Advocate: Pay-for-advantage won't affect the tourney scene and there's no doubt that the main online mode will not have pay-for-advantage. Capcom's looking for the best of both worlds: To cater towards those who want classic Street Fighter action, and towards those who want to give Capcom money.

I'd rather have this than a straight mobile game.
I'd say a lot of people in the FGC would shun the game on principle.

Street Fighter X Tekken was crucified by the FGC thanks to the on-disc DLC fiasco before people even gave it a chance as a serious game. Sure the game also ended up being really bad, but it was pretty much dead on arrival thanks to Capcom. Also this pretty much ensures the game does not have a decent online community, because no serious player will want to deal with this shit.

Barakov

Thankfully, this pay 2 win nonsense won't affect the tourney scene.

A big part of this is how it's implemented. Sadly, Capcom doesn't inspire a whole of lot of confidence on this front. Still, a new Street Fighter is something to be excited about.

dab0ne

Just put the pay for advantage people in their own mode and no one should give a shit. Pitting them up against people who want to pay for skill is dumb.
I don't get why they have to pay though. Can't there just be a beginner mode where players can pick perks like easier combos/specials, deal more damage, and have more health? Why does anyone have to pay extra?

Bgamer90

Banned
"Pay for advantage" in a competitive game?

Really Capcom? Still interested in a new Street Fighter for current gen but man...

Phades

So what do you think the pricing is going to be for this?

$0.50 per super bar charged on demand? $10.00 for one touch super activation? $10.00 for no delay attack chaining for 10 seconds?

I read the snippet given and it just makes me think that they are deliberately trying to kill off their franchises and have no idea what made them popular in the first place.

tbm24

Any sort of payment system will be rejected by the FGC and would not work in a tournament setting. As my most anticipated game, I really hope they don't go that route.

Whatever this system may end up being, is 100% irrelevant to the competitive community and tournaments. I don't see what's so bad about it really. If people want to pay who cares? Let them. It won't save them and they are still just at home playing online, presumably unranked online at that.

If anything I see this as a means for capcom to retain newcomers to their game, the ones who don't mind burning money to attach a rocket launcher to ryu's shoulder.

Pay for advantage?! Good lord, it's the microtransaction model taken to absurd, farcical lengths. You couldn't make this shit up.

Silky

Banned
Won't overreact until we get more info, but I won't lie and say I'm not concerned about the pay-for-advantage quote.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Can someone answer this question for me.

What's to stop SKILLED players from also purchasing advantages?

Nothing that's not the point, it's never been about making it easier for casuals (that's a shitty excuse) it's about milking the player base dry.

Looks like Third Strike will still be the best Street Fighter.

This reminds me. Remember when Ono was talking about how SF4s complexity was toned slightly down from the parrying system to bring back lapsed players, and if an SF5 came about, that'd be the time to go back to Third Strike level mechanics? And now we're likely going to get the opposite.

All I want is a new art style/ updated models. SF4's models are just awful. My poor Ryu... why did they make you look like a baboon.

Tizoc

Won't overreact until we get more info, but I won't lie and say I'm not concerned about the pay-for-advantage quote.

Honestly this is just the usual overreaction phase, I've seen it happen multiple times. By the time SF5 is announced and we see the 'pay for advantage' system won't affect the major FGC scene and pro players we'll go back to bitching about why character A sucks and why Character J is overpowered.

RIP streetfighter franchise

How dumb do you have to be to alienate your guaranteed fanbase in the hopes of attracting some fleeting casuals who will zone out and wander off to a different game within a day/week , never to look back.

The pay for advantage thing is hilarious, so they're just putting the tekken system of being able to give your friend x percent more health behind a paywall, only without the other player having to give his consent for the advantage.

That would be Capcom's wet dream. Fleeting casuals that are willing to pay 60 dollars for the game and are willing to move on from it after a day/week/month. Capcom can print money by making yearly sequels!!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
All trolling aside, I expect that this is not currently a thing and probably just something leadership will try to pressure into the game, but ultimately Ono will present alternative ways to cover the skill gap or whatteverthefuck and monetize the game.

Let's see if Capcom is smart enough to create an efficient pipeline for new content and post-release support.

213372bu

Banned
Just like gems right? The incentive to buy that stuff disappears if you don't force everyone to play with it.

Yeah, and paying for gems won't even bad in the first place!

I mean paying $20 might even get me full invincibility on my attacks, and all that really does is support Capcom on making more quality (gem) DLC to help out our fellow newcomers/ supporting future titles with these features!

Capcomm what are you dooing.

Morris

Disco Devil
Pay to win does NOT help newbies win. If you're bad you're still going to get murdered. This kinda crap only helps give advantages to more advanced scumbag type of players...

Kayant

Great another game will P2W elements in a retail title. Glorious. After learning of the crew's setup with having to pay for fast travel and performance parts being available to be brought it was a trend I hope would not be seen to much guess that wouldn't be the case.

This pay for advantage scheme will only act as a roadblock in a player's development. It's devious actually. Instead of encouraging players to improve their skills to win, they'll become reliant on these pay advantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom