• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom has burned any good will they ever had away

Still love Capcom in-general (this has been their most hit-or-MISS gen though), but it really feels like higher-level Minesweeper for fans. The chances of running into bombs are 1 in 2 fucking many.

This being a reactionary thread to BoF6, the pain is felt from someone who's not even a fan or player. Lots of sympathy to those who are.

Silky

Banned
Konami is much more awful than Capcom. I'm sorry. Capcom does really great things, and really shitty things. I'll take the great shit, and acknowledge the terrible shit.

Konami has just done really, really, really awful things.

DmC, Asura's Wrath, Remember Me, Dragon's Dogma, Keeping SF4 alive, Lost Planet 2, Ducktales HD, Strider are all great things in my book. I just can't, for the life of me, lie and say I'm /upset/ about Megaman because I'm not attached to that brand as much as I am to, say, SF (and SF isn't even my favorite Capcom game.)

I think you're overreacting, as do many people who panic when Capcom revives a brand on a PC/Tablet/Smartphone. (that ultimately turns out to be poop on a doop)

REMINDER! That Capcom Japan is doing all of this stupid shit because those games are successful in Japan. If you seriously think this is coming stateside and is marketed towards you, well... :I

Meh.

They can take the piss for 20 straight years, but the minute they release a game I actually want to play, I'll be there for 'em.

Having said that, it has been an awful long time since I bought one of their games, though it's not out of boycott or something dumb like that.

Yeah, it's going to take a lot from Capcom to win back any goodwill for me. The DmC fiasco alone earned my ire, regardless of game quality. It should never have been in the first place.

MrKayle

You try multiplayer? You and some other people swing around a giant tower and shoot rockets at each other, it's really intense.

Just picked this up for $2.50 on the steam sale, it's really great. Must use Hamachi to play it online now.

The corporate suits took over.

This is what killed Square Enix as well. In the past, management was made up of designers, programmers, etc. Nowadays, management is comprised of bankers, ex-bankers, money men, people that don't care AT ALL about games.

resurrecting MML3 is the only thing which can redeem them now

That would be *SUCH* a smart move. The cost of developing the game would be worth it from a marketing/PR perspective. My god Capcom is anti-money.

Like Jill's face

GZ9J28t.png

RIP

Xavien

The New AA game is pretty much the only thing i give a shit about from them anymore.

You used to be great Capcom, wtf happened.

Tain

Resident Evil is still great (RE6, not Revelations). DR2 was really good. I have pretty high expectations for DR3. DmC is a good. Looking forward to Ace Attorney, Ultra, and Monster Hunter 4. The Capcom Arcade Cabinet is a great compilation.

Can't really complain about where they're at right now.

rvy

Banned
The New AA game is pretty much the only thing i give a shit about from them anymore.

You used to be great Capcom, wtf happened.

Talent exodus. Morons at the helm. Infafune being able to make decisions about anything. Ever.

Nobody would buy Dino Crisis, Breath of Fire, Megaman Legends... and most definitely not fucking Zack and Wiki. A discussion about Capcom's hits and misses in light of the mobile games announcement is legit, but condemning a big publisher like Capcom for not wasting money and time on games that obviously would do nothing for them is silly.

Breath of Fire on consoles would require a budget. And it would not sell enough to make a profit, regardless.

CGwizz

They fucked up realy bad this gen, last gen was so good with onimusha games, good devil may cry triology, etc.

This gen they fucked up.

BTW : first post on GAF :D , hi to all !!!

fred

As long as they continue to release Monster Hunter games and Resident Evil games like Revelaitons rather than 4, 5 and 6 then they're fine in my book.

legacyzero

Banned
Capcom has been a real shit sandwich this gen. RE6 solidified that one. Fucking TERRRRRRIBLE.

But......... I just can't bring myself to hate DmC. Sorry GAF. I'm so sorry. The game was pretty fucking good.

tsab

They still love us. If we keep buying this test games and ports we'll probably get a RE sequel for the Wii

RangerBAD

I hate all the stupid shit they do too, but if they manage to make a game that gets my interest (Dragon's Dogma 2, deep down, etc.) then I'm going to support that game by buying it. Obviously I want my games not on tablets and smart phones.

Defuser

AAI2 not localized.
EX troopers not localized.
The last ranker not localized.
MHP3rd not localized.

Capcom is already crap for not localizing these great handheld titles.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
In some contexts, I don't get the "good will" thing towards game companies. Example:

Capcom has screwed up a lot in the last five years, y/n: Yes.

If Capcom makes another game like Dragon's Dogma will I be there day one, y/n: You bet your ass.

I could understand if Capcom was say, an online service provider that refused to fix problems that plague users every day, or was running an MMORPG that they wouldn't patch and people no longer believed their lies.

I also don't get this talk that Capcom is trying to "burn bridges" with the Street Fighter community. Is that about the update to SFIV? The update the community wants because they're still playing the game religiously?

Tain

Ah yeah, EX Troopers! Forgot about that one, it was a solid game. Don't really care about the localization status since a) I'd never play it on 3DS and b) I'm more concerned with Capcom the developer, here.

The upcoming PS3 physical Mystara collection is pretty awesome-looking, too.

Won't be long before they start carrying out hits on our loved ones. Might as well kill everything we loved.

Ironically I feel like Capcom and Sega switched places this gen. All the love I had for Capcom transferred over to Sega.

ZeroCDR

What does the Street Fighter community think of Capcom?

I honestly think they handled Street Fighter IV pretty well this gen. Super was a bit of a misstep because there should have been an DLC option, but it did come out in a reasonable timeframe at least. AE sucked on release, but they patched it for free and it was a reasonable price. Ultra looks like a solid last hurrah, and you can upgrade from Super or AE. The support for this game has been great, I don't really think it's been too much.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3 on the other hand? They fucked up. No excuse to not have Ultimate as a DLC option, and it came out only 9 months later. Ultimate turned out to be a solid update, but it still left a lot to be desired.

Whatever contract they had with Marvel was truly botched, because this game hasn't seen any other support since then regardless of the clear demand. They jumped right into gear to patch the alt costume exploit though, good job.

rvy

Banned
But......... I just can't bring myself to hate DmC. Sorry GAF. I'm so sorry. The game was pretty fucking good.

You don't have to hate DmC, I reckon it's a fun action game. You just have to hate the rationale for it to exist, the amount of money spent on it, the amount of time and effort they went through to make the fanbase look like idiot crybabies who want white hair, and the effort that people from the DMC 4 team put into teaching a dev basic game design, such as why you don't just add cool blades on enemy's elbows for no reason, or why animation needs to be logical.

This gif just sent me down a rabbit hole of watching The Rock sell Stone Cold Stunners and then just watching Stone Cold Stunner compilations. Thank you.

The Rock was born to sell stunners.

Capcom is giving us the AA game, albeit digitally. I can't hate them too much, yet.

Dahbomb

I said it before and I will say it here again...

If Capcom makes DMC5 into an online social mobile game I will commit GAF sudoku.

TheHater

I stop giving my money to Capcom since the On-Disk DLC bullshit. I buy used or rent any games they make that interest me.

TreIII

As long as Capcom continues to make legit Sengoku BASARA games, they'll always have at least one means of getting money from me. SB4 will be mine as soon as it comes out (of course, JP only, because they ruined whatever Western prospects the brand could have had).

But it's pretty sad that what used to be a company that had reliable means of getting a good 25% of my cash, and dominated so much of my gaming collection, has fallen so far. 10 years ago, I would have never imagined that the likes of Bamco and Atlus would have been far more relevant to my continued gaming interests than Capcom is now.

Shin

Banned
They haven't released a single game this generation that I'm interested in and anything that I was remotely interested they screwed over by some piss poor decision...and that trend seems to continue.

Tain

They haven't released a single game this generation that I'm interested in and anything that I was remotely interested they screwed over by some piss poor decision...and that trend seems to continue.

Did you like any of their games last generation? Which ones?

Top Bottom