• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom layoffs, Senior VP Christian Svensson voluntarily leaves

Dahbomb

Maybe CAPCOM offload the development of DmC2 to the developers of Rambo, the video game!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=619261

2dnIi2x.jpg
Dude stop.... just stop. I can't take any more of this!

MoogPaul

Sad to see him go. Seemed like he tried to best to do good by american gamers but had his hands tied. Even if that did lead to some miscalls.

This is bad news. Really feel for everyone at Capcom who lost their jobs.

Sven isn't a bad guy, he was forced to take a shitty company line on decisions he probably disagreed with personally but the decisions are made in Japan. If Capcom fans want to vent at someone then it should be at the Japanese management who have managed to run this once great publisher into the ground.

Videoneon

What the fuck.

What about the Ace Attorney messages to forward to Eshiro? Looks like physical release is toast.

Anyway, it's interesting to hear him say that he's thought about this for a long time. Seeing as Capcom USA keeps losing people like jgonzo and Seth, something's in the water. Maybe they're tired of dealing with Capcom of Japan, or the backlash they keep getting?

My opinion of Sven softened over time though I'm still always skeptical of what he says. He'll probably find a job fairly quickly, he's been in the business for forever.

I've met Sven once or twice, and always thought he was a great guy. He had a REALLY hard job and was always doing what he could to interact with fans despite his hands always being tied.

Hope he finds himself somewhere less restrictive.

I often feel like the people who work at Capcom are constantly fighting the heads of Capcom. From Ono trying to drum up support for Street Fighter IV and other games, to Inafune persisting that Mega Man Legends 3 be made (and his leaving and lessened fan support on the community site leaving the game canceled) to Sven's work on asking fans for support for various things... It seems like it's hard to do things at Capcom and get ideas by without proving that the fans want it.

Shame to see Sven go, though. He seemed like a nice, enthusiastic guy who actually tried to be in tune with the fans.

Xristot

Good luck Sven. You always seemed like a good dude. Hopefully you can help the other layoffs as well as yourself fine another gig.

This really sucks for those affected.

Does this mean Capcom is moving to iOS development like SquareEnix now?

The future is uncertain... I hope things get better

Xater

I always had the feeling that Svensson was one of the good guys. I have absolutely no bitter feelings towards the guy and I wish him the best.

Also best of luck to everyone else affected.

Hero

The reason why he said that is because that's how the higher ups at Capcom actually think. They look directly at sales of corresponding titles.

Ono corroborated this in an interview when he began petitioning for SF4's creation.

So it's the truth... I guess it's one no one wanted to hear.

Said proof of people buying the game was probably the only ammo he ever had in regards to getting shit approved by the Capcom higher ups. Even people like Ono and (when he was still there) Inafune corroborated that getting projects greenlit was a pain in the ass over there.

That part is understandable. The problem is when he never had anything to say or when promises were never fulfilled. Like when Resident Evil 4 sold well on the Wii for a port and that only lead to Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, which still sold well and instead of working on a watered down port of RE5 they made another Chronicles game. Instead of an RE5 port they gave us a shitty port of Dead Rising that nobody asked for.

Again, not saying he's a bad person but his relationship with fans wasn't always the best. It sounds like even he got tired of the bullshit at Capcom and I can't blame him. I sincerely hope he finds a new position at a company that doesn't make his job harder than it needs to be.

Sectus

This is really bad news. Sven's done the best fan interaction I've seen of any company. He answered fan questions regularly, and he answered many tough questions and did it honestly.

It also sounded like he was one of the few higher ups at Capcom who really pushed for PC titles. I fear that we'll see far fewer PC ports with him disappearing.

I hope he lands a good job after this.

I wonder how or if this affects Mega Man's future (such as it is). I'm concerned.

Either way, Sven, best of luck to you in all your future endeavors. I know you always did your best and were unfortunately at the mercy of the corporate overlords at Capcom Japan. Looking forward to finding out whatever comes next for you!

Lime

I hope this doesn't affect future PC versions of Capcom games :/

Svensson always seemed to be a likeable guy who wanted the best for the consumers, but unfortunately he didn't have any decision-making power at all. His transparency about Okami was especially notable to me.

The same guys who almost cancelled Smash at EVO even after the community raised almost 100k for the event?

Yea OK.

Are you okay? Do you understand what we're talking about? I dunno man, you seem awfully confused. Yes, lots of companies make mistakes and could communicate with their fans better. Sven is pretty good with that sorta thing...and Nintendo could use a more hands-on guy to help with that...so that's why he would be a good fit? Did I word something incorrectly before?

And concerning Smash, this type of shit happens all time, probably way more than you know. EVO organizers had gotten the okay from Nintendo months ago, and leading up to this week, the legal department who was not briefed on the whole situation goes out of their way, cancels shit, without doing proper research or asking around, then the decision is reversed when the higher-ups find out, and the entire thing has to be ironed out. It's bad communication, not some "Nintendo loves breast cancer" agenda or whatever.

Hell, this exact type of situation has happened between Capcom and myself. I made some videos with some Capcom characters in it, Seth Killian caught wind of it, loved it, and said i had the all-clear to make more. Then, randomly, I get my youtube account taken down by Capcom all of sudden. Gone. Kaput. I emailed Seth, who explained this type of stuff happens all the time, and it took a few days, and he got my account back up.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Guess the Mega Man 9 secret is lost forever now.

We'll miss you Sven.

Do they even have like a PR person anymore? It seems that Seth and Sven were the only two who really talked and communicated with the fans about what we wanted and what capcom may have had in store.... its really sad that hes leaving but maybe its for the better...

I think Sven and Seth and even Keji before them really will end up showing Caps true colors, though we have kind of seen it though the resent actions of the company. I look around my room and look at my library of games and realize that I am a HUGE capcom fan, they have such a large catalog of games and characters that have existed since the NES days...

I feel like Capcom could have had the same influence as say Nintendo (even more so with the hardcore crowd) if they really played their cards right... But that won't happen....

Its really sad to watch this happen to one of my favorite companies..... I won't even mention Square... they are like way over the hill...

Sven is the biggest reason Capcom has a presence on the PC now. He pushed hard for that shit. If someone doesn't step into his place for that, PC Capcom fans are in trouble.

I just want to add that as a PC gamer and Ace Attorney fan this might just be the worst news.

I liked Sven a lot.
He was one of the strongest advocates for PC ports in Capcom, for a start.

All the best Sven.

You did wonderful things for PC gamers.

As a PC Gamer I remember the dark ages of terribly performing, feature-crippled CAPCPOM PC Ports like RE 4 PC which was outsourced to Ubisoft of all people and had missing lighting.

Sven, as a PC Gamer who enjoyed a greater number of the games CAPCPOM brought over to the PC properly since you came into the picture, (like DMC 4, Lost Planet, SSFIV, SSFIVAE and RE:Revelaitons) I thank you, sincerely, from the bottom of my heart for making CAPCPOM consider the PC as a viable platform at all.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Best of luck to those who are gone, though it sounds like Sven left because he has some plans of his own. I didn't always agree with his obvious handling methods, but I understood it was his job. Hopefully this reorganization unifies Capcom a bit more worldwide, I always found it weird how Capcom USA seemed so separate.

I feel for those affected; yet at the same time I hope that whoever decided to give Devil May Cry to Ninja Theory are among those leaving Capcom. I also hope that those responsible for ruining Resident Evil were also shown the door.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Urrrghhh....

I need my Ace Attorney releases damnit!

This is not looking good for a retail AA5 sigh. Nor for AAI2 neither...

Top Bottom