• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom reveals new Mega Man X, cancels joke, makes a figure, KS funded (Summer 2015)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, so... They showed off a NEW MEGA MAN X! But it was only a model kit. But a really cool-looking redesign of X! But then they took it down?

Is that right? Why are some people talking about it like it was a (joke) game they unveiled?

It's the fact that Capcom put more than a millisecond of thought and effort into creating something Mega Man related--especially an amazing X redesign--and it's an April Fools joke.

The model kit part just makes it worse. Because it's a thing that could've been announced as a cool subline of "Capcom Creators Collection".
"The C.C.C brand allows Capcom designers and artists to freely re-imagine new designs of existing characters into figures and model kits."

Imagine the possibilities. But Capcom.

The layers of cruelness in this joke are legendary.

Wait, so... They showed off a NEW MEGA MAN X! But it was only a model kit. But a really cool-looking redesign of X! But then they took it down?

Is that right? Why are some people talking about it like it was a (joke) game they unveiled?
They made a really cool redesign model of X as an April's Fools joke

People got pissed because their idea of a joke is making something cool out of Megaman

Then they cancel the joke

although i'm absurdly pissed at capcom right now(such an amazing design, ffs), this was god tier level trolling, holy shit.

Such a strange choice of franchise for a joke considering what they've put the fan base through over the years.

Actually, maybe that makes it the perfect choice...

Moaradin

They made a legit cool design for X just for April Fools, then cancelled the April Fools Joke. I don't know if they took it down because of actual criticism, or just to troll. Either way it's hilarious.

Wonko_C

Does Japan even celebrate April Fools? Or is it just a coincidence?

Edit: "Price: 4.1 million Zenny"... Now I truly feel like a fool.

Beth Cyra

They made a legit cool design for X just for April Fools, then cancelled the April Fools Joke. I don't know if they took it down because of actual criticism, or just to troll. Either way it's hilarious.

It had better be on purpose.

No one at Capcom could have expected a universally positive reaction. They know how angry people were after X being ignored for Marvel 3, and they know how angry people were after Legends 3.

Putting out a redesign of X after the awful IPhone Ports of Maverick Hunter and the garbage that was Xover was assured to ruffle feathers, and they needed to have the spin to ride out the joke, or in this case "cancel" the joke and have that be apart of it all along.

BZOk6bf.gif

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Can't even joke about Megaman anymore. That gets canceled too. What did Inafune do to incur such wrath from the great Capcpom?

Foffy

Banned
Well, I guess they finally went full circle with the Mega Man theme. Couldn't be Mega Man without a cancellation~

KePoW

Banned
LOL this is awesome as hell

I can say that because I've never been a Mega Man fan and think the series is lame. So it's funny when their fans get pissed off.

Toxi

Banned
It's funny now that I understand the context, but it's a sad kind of funny where I feel bad for laughing.
When people ask which game community is trolled the hardest, there's no competition.
Square's audience has it worse here, though that might just be because of Duckroll.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Shot Jason Schreier a PM asking if they were going to cover it.

jschreier (PM) said:
Yeah, we're looking into this! Waiting until our Japanese dudes wake up so we can ping Capcom Japan to see what happened. There should be something up on Kotaku at some point tonight.

Go forth and get that response! For great justice! For Mega Man!
Np9GKuz.gif

Beth Cyra

LOL this is awesome as hell

I can say that because I've never been a Mega Man fan and think the series is lame. So it's funny when their fans get pissed off.

So because your not a fan it's funny that others get their series repeatedly dogged on? That is a pretty shitty mind set honestly.

SkyOdin

Now, reveal that it's real and we can all live in happy land of robots and lazers.

-sigh-
It very well might happen. Back in 2008, Rockman Unity pulled this joke with a soundtrack CD for the ZX games called Rockman ZX Soundsketch: ZX Gigamix. On April 1st, the CD was put up on Rockman Unity with a joke price of 3 billion yen as an April Fools Day joke. On April 3rd, it reappeared on the site as a legitimate product with a price of 3,000 yen. The whole incident was actually linked to on the Rockman Corner article linked to in the OP.

So this model kit design series might be a real thing. This joke could just be a way of advertising it.

KePoW

Banned
So because your not a fan it's funny that others get their series repeatedly dogged on? That is a pretty shitty mind set honestly.

Yes and if you've read the past two pages, I'm certainly not the only person who thinks this joke was hilarious.

What can I say, I don't take games that seriously and think a lot of gamers overreact way too much.

I laugh at Shenmue fans too BTW, they're even worse if that makes you feel better =P

Beth Cyra

Yes and if you've read the past two pages, I'm certainly not the only person who thinks this joke was hilarious.

What can I say, I don't take games that seriously and think a lot of gamers overreact way too much.

I laugh at Shenmue fans too BTW, they're even worse if that makes you feel better =P

A lot of people found the joke funny, including Mega Man X fans like myself. However not everyone was a selfish ass who pointed at the fans and said it was funny because they get shafted over and over again.

When I first saw this joke, I was mad. So by extension I should be even madder when they canceled the joke as if to stick the finger in the bullet wound. Yet here I am, ticklish by it, laughing unabashedly.

gg Capcom, you're my favorite trainwreck.

It's been pointed out to me the original article is probably gone because it's no longer April 1 in Japan. The time of it disappearing (based on posts in this thread) is right around the time the clock hit midnight over there. It's not uncommon for Japanese April Fools jokes to completely cease to exist after the day of.

Top Bottom