• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love Mike Ryan. It's like he's talking directly to this thread:

Sure, Marvel is marketing Captain America: Civil War as “dark,” but it’s not “dark.” “Dark” is boring. Everyone thinks they want a dark film because the word “dark” sounds cool. So pretty much every movie that falls into the nerd genre will be marked as dark. Go back and look it up for any movie. “Oh, it will be dark.” That’s pretty much every director or cast member talking about his or her next superhero film. The trick is not actually releasing a “dark” movie. Hey, I’ll hand it to Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, it’s kind of a dark movie. It’s so dark I almost fell asleep.

The go-to “dark” movie is The Empire Strikes Back. (Which is referenced in Captain America: Civil War in the best possible way, which made me very happy.) The Empire Strikes Back isn’t “dark,” it’s just “good.” There’s plenty of humor. And then bad things happen to characters we care about. I wish we could ban the word “dark.” It’s a crutch. Do you want to watch something “dark?” Stare at this for the next two hours. Knock yourself out.

dark.jpg

Blader

Given that the third act fight sounds like a more intimate affair this time, I wonder how many people will respond to it like a breath of fresh air or a disappointment compared to the previous huge set pieces of the Avengers/Winter Soldier.

inky

While real reviewers note he's never set up to be the villain of the piece.

Stick to games, IGN.

Have you read IGN game reviews?

Stick to... um... they had something called "babe of the week" didn't they? Well, that was awfully sexist, but hey, better than nothing.

a916

Maybe they didn't expect it because all the other MCU movies were pretty straightforward?

Kind of sounds like a "reviewers were too stupid for this complex plot" and sorry, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth. They should have taken the film for what it was...

Given that the third act fight sounds like a more intimate affair this time, I wonder how many people will respond to it like a breath of fresh air or a disappointment compared to the previous huge set pieces of the Avengers/Winter Soldier.

I'll believe it when I see it. But if this is the case then I'll be happy no doubt

That was the worst thing about Winter Soldier. So for me at least this seems far more promising.

More from Mike Ryan's Uproxx review that I quoted earlier:

Captain America: Civil War feels like a pinnacle for Marvel. Like, I can’t imagine their movies getting any better. This feels like the crescendo. This feels like the movie this series has been building towards for eight years. After all these movies, Marvel earned this fight. This is the best Marvel movie so far. This is not hyperbole. I have my doubts they can make anything better. This is as close as things come to “superhero movie perfection.” This movie made me really happy.

Verendus

Banned
I'm excited but I'm not getting too hyped up because I feel like I'm one of the few who honestly don't end up caring that much for a lot of this stuff and have found much of the output to be very forgettable.

Top: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man 3
Mid: Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, Avengers 2, First Avenger, Hulk, Ant-Man
Bottom: Thor 2, Iron Man 2

So mostly pretty average to me with a handful of standouts and a handful of shit. I do think Civil War will probably fall into the tops, but I'm hoping it isn't as forgettable as I find most of it so far. With the Russo dudes and Marvel seemingly getting better at what they're doing, I do think the scene could improve.
You're like me.

Our tastes are almost the same. For me, it goes:

Top: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man
Mid: Iron Man 3, Ant-Man, The Avengers, Age of Ultron
Bottom: Thor, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, Thor 2, Iron Man 2

Pretty much in the order I enjoyed them, with the bottom tier being the movies I dislike. MCU has become far more consistent after the first set of mostly bad movies. Since then, the only bad movie has been Thor 2. Everything else has been decent at least. I see no reason why Civil War will be any different. They have a formula they stick to. Either you like it or you don't.

I'm excited but I'm not getting too hyped up because I feel like I'm one of the few who honestly don't end up caring that much for a lot of this stuff and have found much of the output to be very forgettable.

Top: Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man 3
Mid: Iron Man, Thor, Avengers, Avengers 2, First Avenger, Hulk, Ant-Man
Bottom: Thor 2, Iron Man 2

So mostly pretty average to me with a handful of standouts and a handful of shit. I do think Civil War will probably fall into the tops, but I'm hoping it isn't as forgettable as I find most of it so far. With the Russo dudes and Marvel seemingly getting better at what they're doing, I do think the scene could improve.

I agree with your list except for Iron Man, I would put that in top and leave everything as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom