• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting.

I've said WB should put Snyder as a Second Unit Director to film action, at least in films like these with lots of moving parts.

Let someone else steer the ship and he can man the guns.

Don't know why they wouldn't just use Snyder's second unit guy then.

Betty

Banned
Interesting.

I've said WB should put Snyder as a Second Unit Director to film action, at least in films like these with lots of moving parts.

Let someone else steer the ship and he can man the guns.

Nah, let's let him direct Justice League, he can't possibly strike out a third time...

right?

RaidenXZ

So after some googling, turns out Toronto does have an early screening tomorrow and I just completely missed the boat on buying the tickets early. This wait is gonna be hard :(

inky

The Russos gonna deliver again, huh? Wow.

You know, I was ambivalent on Whedon leaving Avengers, I could see the flaws and how broken the man was getting, but I couldn't imagine too many people out there with the fondness and acute sense of what made these characters work. Infinity War seems to be in great hands.

He's a dude I really want to like because his production design is off the chain but when it comes to his films....nah I ain't with it

I can see that. I wish his scripts were better and his character directorial sense is hit and miss. Love him, but I can see every flaw and it hurts when his movies sit on the verge of resonating with people, but don't quite manage it.

Cipherr

Thread is sort of comatose. Reviews are reading just like the early screenings, EXCELLENT.

Not much to talk about other than where you can get an early viewing/ticket lol.

Wow that first review. One of the reviewers claimed that the airport scene was the best in any action movie ever, not just any comic book movie. Of course, this stuff is going to be subject to hyperbole, but even if it's among the best, this should be amazing.
John Campea, I usually align with the guys at Collider

Mifune

Mehmber
IGN gives Agents of SHIELD 8.5s and 9s every week. You're trying to tell me that Civil War isn't as good?

humf_zps3d61fed8.gif

Different reviewer. Different medium. Pointless comparison.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Thread is sort of comatose. Reviews are reading just like the early screenings, EXCELLENT.

Not much to talk about other than where you can get an early viewing/ticket lol.

It's like as if the people writing their reactions to the early screenings are the same people that actually write these reviews.

*mind blown*

Zemo seems to be split with some. He's either a) undercooked (bad) or b) a smaller presence.

I think the issue is that they want to establish persistent heroes more than one-off villains. As such, only villains that will last more than one movie and will be shared among franchises are developed (e.g. Loki and Thanos). With that said, hopefully they find more persistent villains to maintain.

Nah, let's let him direct Justice League, he can't possibly strike out a third time...

right?

I think people are severely discounting the significance of Marvel's "realistic" "house" style that helps audiences strongly identify with the characters and their world. Snyder keeps doubling down on what he thinks makes comics great, but what makes the MCU great is how they've found a way to translate the Marvel Universe's sense of "the world outside your window" into films by making them relatively sedate looking and let the superheroics really looks like superheroism in a regular world. (It's one of the problems with The Thor movies. Asgard doesn't gel well with this aesthetic in many instances.)

I was wondering if they just put out the positive reviews first for every movie, so I checked the BvS rottentomatoes thread.

Looks like that one started 1 fresh 10 rotten. Yikes. Looking good for Civil War so far.

Usually the positives come out first and negatives filter out

Gotta give the Russo bros credit for juggling the massive amount of characters and still mananging to keep it a distinctly Captain America movie

Garlador

We could always take more jabs at Batman v Superman if you like?

... Seriously happy Civil War is doing well. So many pieces and characters to juggle, pulling it off and making it work always concerned me. I'm thrilled to hear so many critics think they made it work.

Firemind

One of those things that's enjoyable on its own but more powerful if you're fully invested.
Ah, that's good to know. Thanks.

People who haven't even had a whiff of Marvel movies likely aren't who they're expecting to go see this, anyways.
This seems weird though. I mean, I have watched a number of Marvel films, but I can barely remember the character interactions because of how long ago they were when I watched them (Iron Man was released in 2008!) The Lord of the Rings trilogy was in a span of two years, which I feel is a reasonably good pace before you simply forget about pivotal character moments.

I'm gonna watch The Winter Soldier for the first time soon, but I don't think I'm going to watch more to be honest before I go see CW.

Rooster12

I think people are severely discounting the significance of Marvel's "realistic" "house" style that helps audiences strongly identify with the characters and their world. Snyder keeps doubling down on what he thinks makes comics great, but what makes the MCU great is how they've found a way to translate the Marvel Universe's sense of "the world outside your window" into films by making them relatively sedate looking and let the superheroics really looks like superheroism in a regular world. (It's one of the problems with The Thor movies. Asgard doesn't gel well with this aesthetic in many instances.)

If that's the case then DC should just quit now. Most of their heroes doesn't even operate in real cities, let alone "outside your window".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom