• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain America: Civil War Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

icespide

Banned
RT caches like a mother fucker and takes awhile for changes to propagate for everyone

also: this movie seems pretty good I think I'll see it

Finally the MCU has its own great trilogy, can't really wrap my head around the difference in quality between these Cap sequels compared to IM/Thor/Avengers though, these movies are seemingly on a whole different level.

iamblades

I can't remember a movie that has had reviews out this far in advance of release.

The level of confidence Disney must have in the film to do this basically a month ahead of release is basically all I need to know that the film is gonna be good.

Firemind

A lot of reviews seem to suggest there's a real payoff because you care about the characters after Marvel has crafted this universe over a dozen or so films.

What about for people who didn't watch every Marvel flick?

A lot of reviews seem to suggest there's a real payoff because you care about the characters after Marvel has crafted this universe over a dozen or so films.

What about for people didn't watch every Marvel flick?

One of those things that's enjoyable on its own but more powerful if you're fully invested.

Symphonic

People who haven't even had a whiff of Marvel movies likely aren't who they're expecting to go see this, anyways.

Quick

Banned

--crosses BvS off Pop Culture Catch Up List--

3858941-1401478575483.gif

Cipherr

yeah BVS reviewed badly

I think we kinda got that in the last RT thread

WB is screwed on that one. So many of these reviews are going to inadvertently shit on BvS because the two films have similar concepts, were about 1 month apart and BvS made a bunch of news cycles with the topic being how bad it was. It's unavoidable at this point.

I mean:

Arriving so quickly on the heels of “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” there’s a temptation to treat this Marvel sequel as a rebuttal to DC's recent effort. The pitched battle between two primary heroes, set against the backdrop of a world concerned about super-powered accountability, is remarkably similar. However, the two films are couldn’t be more different in their perspectives and methods. 'Civil War' is effective thanks to a focus on character, with the film's extended roster serving to explore and underline absorbing ideas about family, friendship, and the use of power. As big as this movie is, “Captain America: Civil War” thrives on a smaller, human scale. Striking and consistently engaging, the Russos deftly craft compelling blockbuster entertainment out of a a moral and emotional conflict, and that’s more impressive than any overblown display of loud and vulgar power. [A-]

DAMN the shade...

A-V-B

I'm really glad to hear the Russo bros were able to juggle the massive scope of what's basically Avengers 2.5. That was my main worry with this film for ages. But these guys, these guys are good.

Guys, where is FutureXmDCcomics Zone review? He's the only critic that matters, I'm pretty sure he'll tell us how bad the movie is and will give us very good arguments on why all the other critics so far are paid Marvel shills

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Depends on which one's you watched.
I mean you can skip all the Thor ones since he isn't showing up.

WB is screwed on that one. So many of these reviews are going to inadvertently shit on BvS because the two films have similar concepts, were about 1 month apart and BvS made a bunch of news cycles with the topic being how bad it was. It's unavoidable at this point.

'NOTHING IS OVER! NOTHING!"

NotLiquid

I can't believe I'm so elated and excited to go see a movie where I'll be seeing my favorite heroes that built each other up so magnificently now tear each other apart

It would be beautiful if it weren't so sad

Quick

Banned
I'm really glad to hear the Russo bros were able to juggle the massive scope of what's basically Avengers 2.5. That was my main worry with this film for ages. But these guys, these guys are good.

Civil War is basically them getting their feet wet for Infinity War.

Seems like they can handle things just fine.

So so so so so excited for this movie.

Glad to see the overwhelming positive reactions. However after loving BvS post it's onslaught I have learned the most important opinion is my own
and the GAF-consensus whenever it aligns with my own :)

Youtube Reviews (I personally like)

schmoesknow
ColliderVideos

I haven't seen it yet (since it's getting late), but it should be spoiler free.

Wow that first review. One of the reviewers claimed that the airport scene was the best in any action movie ever, not just any comic book movie. Of course, this stuff is going to be subject to hyperbole, but even if it's among the best, this should be amazing.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that first review. One of the reviewers claimed that the airport scene was the best in any action movie ever, not just any comic book movie. Of course, this stuff is going to be subject to hyperbole, but even if it's among the best, this should be amazing.

Yeah, Campea is a bit over the top (even if it's true) like this sometimes, but he's great though.

I was wondering if they just put out the positive reviews first for every movie, so I checked the BvS rottentomatoes thread.

Looks like that one started 1 fresh 10 rotten. Yikes. Looking good for Civil War so far.

G-Fex

Indeed.

I was excited for both but I was stupidly optimistic for BvS.

Well at least CW is shaping up to be a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom