• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS Greenlights 'Elementary' Modern Sherlock Holmes Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's very true, but at least they were a little bit creative, I suppose.

Exactly. I think a straight translation of Holmes, even modern day, just doesn't seem right with an American protagonist.

I'll give it a shot but I'm not expecting much.

Quick

Banned
Next, a Downton Abbey-inspired series set in the Hamptons.

But seriously, is there some rule that major television networks in the US are not allowed to show anything produced outside of the country?

Seeing as they create their own shows, they wouldn't have room to do it. In any case, there's BBC America for BBC content, and I think Sherlock's going to be on PBS soon.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
At least they didn't make Holmes a kid in elementary school solving murders and other mysteries, all while still trying to do his homework, make friends, and just be a kid!

detective_conan_wallpaper_01.jpg

Though he's actually a shrunk high schooler, if that makes any sense.

Definitely willing to give it a chance. BBC's Sherlock is amazing, but there are not enough episodes.

They're 90 minutes long and there's 6 of them. They're basically like TV movies. What more could you want (besides another series, which is happening)

Definitely willing to give it a chance. BBC's Sherlock is amazing, but there are not enough episodes.

With ads, each episode would be 2 hours long, and I'd argue it's more like a mini-series of movies than a conventional series. But yeah, more would be nice, as long as the writing and production values don't suffer in return.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
But given that it's happening so close to a critically beloved and successful version of that EXACT SAME THING, I think one can connect the dots.

Tons of TV shows are ripoffs of other popular shows in terms of theme or premise. Once you discount the specificity of it being about Sherlock Holmes, which I think you can based on my previous argument, it's not really more of a ripoff than countless other shows. So it's hard for me to care.

RedShift

Tons of TV shows are ripoffs of other popular shows in terms of theme or premise. Once you discount the specificity of it being about Sherlock Holmes, which I think you can based on my previous argument, it's not really more of a ripoff than countless other shows. So it's hard for me to care.

tumblr_lx714k3Tk71qez1rko8_250.gif

Zhengi

They're 90 minutes long and there's 6 of them. They're basically like TV movies. What more could you want (besides another series, which is happening)

More episodes. And yeah, I know another series is happening, but how long do we have to wait? Another year? I definitely hope not.

More episodes. And yeah, I know another series is happening, but how long do we have to wait? Another year? I definitely hope not.

If we do (and we probably will), blame Jackson and Abrams booking up the stars.

I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes. And I won't be sullying the fiction with any other new interpretations either- I already made that mistake with Game of Shadows.

Zhengi

If we do (and we probably will), blame Jackson and Abrams booking up the stars.

I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes. And I won't be sullying the fiction with any other new interpretations either- I already made that mistake with Game of Shadows.

Well, you are talking to a guy who has read all the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and has actually hunted down other Sherlock Holmes novels not written by him, lol.

I have even read Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula and Dr Jekyll and Mr Holmes. So it doesn't bother me that CBS is trying to remake Sherlock. I'm willing to give it a chance.

Well, you are talking to a guy who has read all the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and has actually hunted down other Sherlock Holmes novels not written by him, lol.

I have even read Sherlock Holmes vs Dracula and Dr Jekyll and Mr Holmes. So it doesn't bother me that CBS is trying to remake Sherlock. I'm willing to give it a chance.

Yeah I haven't read the books. I'm not really that committed. I just really, really, like the BBC show. :lol

My point was more if the CBS show is bad, it'll make the wait for the BBC show to return harder.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I honestly don't see what the problem is. House MD is essentially Sherlock Holmes as a modern American Doctor.

Sherlock Holmes is my favorite character...well ever. And I love the BBC series, heck I even like aspects of the RDJ films. The existence of this show doesn't really take away from any of those. We will always have the short stories, novels, and countless films.

I will give this a chance. If it's good, I keep watching. If it's bad, I ignore it. No harm, no foul. Trust me, if you research Holmes there are MUCH dumber concepts based around him.

KingGondo

Banned
This show will be a hairy taint.

Yep, just like every other garbage middle-of-the-road sanitized cop/detective show on that network.

Every time I watch football on CBS, I'm always astounded by the ads. Every damn show they air seems like exactly the same bullshit. Too bad people are gonna start confusing the BBC series and this new one.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I honestly don't see what the problem is. House MD is essentially Sherlock Holmes as a modern American Doctor.

Sherlock Holmes is my favorite character...well ever. And I love the BBC series, heck I even like aspects of the RDJ films. The existence of this show doesn't really take away from any of those. We will always have the short stories, novels, and countless films.

I will give this a chance. If it's good, I keep watching. If it's bad, I ignore it. No harm, no foul. Trust me, if you research Holmes there are MUCH dumber concepts based around him.

I understand this point of view and while I usually refrain from sharing my opinion on things that don't exist, this has an added edge of fairly directly ripping off Sherlock while also being most likely unnecessary & (since it's CBS) fairly uninspired. I'd rather have the people working on this work on something else rather than do something that's already been done so much (directly & indirectly with stuff like House) lately.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Still waiting on a modern day adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo, in fact any attempt at an adaptation that is at least half decent would be welcome.

Idris Elba as Edmond in a BBC produced series would be lovely.

gabbo

At least they didn't make Holmes a kid in elementary school solving murders and other mysteries, all while still trying to do his homework, make friends, and just be a kid!

Sadly no one watched Veronica Mars the first time.

RevDM

Banned
I just started watching Sherlock and really enjoy it. I am usually on the other end where I see the US version first and the UK version doesn't have as much appeal to me. Curious how this will turn out.

Yep, just like every other garbage middle-of-the-road sanitized cop/detective show on that network.

Every time I watch football on CBS, I'm always astounded by the ads. Every damn show they air seems like exactly the same bullshit. Too bad people are gonna start confusing the BBC series and this new one.

Yet, they are killing it in the ratings.

lenovox1

Edmond Dantès;34347879 said:
Still waiting on a modern day adaptation of the Count of Monte Cristo, in fact any attempt at an adaptation that is at least half decent would be welcome.

Idris Elba as Edmond in a BBC produced series would be lovely.

Revenge, Wednesdays on ABC.

This will be good for a season, like all american shows
not named X files
, and then suck after that when they run out of ideas, like all american shows
not named X files

Pand

There have been so many derivative works over the years that it hardly matters. Sherlock Holmes has been turned into an archetype.

Hell, he's the most portrayed movie character ever, according to Guiness World Records. Over 200 Sherlock films have been made.

Sherlock set in America would be better fit in San Francisco. Have Watson be a younger ex-military medic attending College. Sherlock can be an instructor/retired detective.

Through the course of the story we find out that Sherlock retired because the love his life fucked him over/died in the process. The reason Watson and him end up working together is because a fellow student ends up dead. Which leads to a conspiracy...

Loxley

I was under the impression we had a contemporary version of Holmes over here for the last few years :p

Ugh. Part of what makes the BBC show so good is that it's short and the show doesn't over stay it's welcome. I have a sneaking suspicion they'll go all CSI on it, and it'll end up being formulaic by the end of the first season (assuming it makes it past the pilot). The BBC version is so damn good that I don't see how the hell this could hold a candle to it at all without being a blatant rip-off.

One thing we probably won't have to worry about, since this is America after all, is Holmes not knowing how to fight. I expect many MMA brawls to occur in the American version.

One thing we probably won't have to worry about, since this is America after all, is Holmes not knowing how to fight. I expect many MMA brawls to occur in the American version.
Where do you get this idea that Sherlock Holmes doesn't know how to fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom