• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child of Eden E3 Trailer - Spiritual sequel to Rez on PS3 and Xbox360 [U-CONF]

It looked amazing to play with the Kinect. I haven't been sold on anything that's been shown so far for that peripheral, but Miz looked like a God in that live demo.

He was just moving his hands, scanning objects and then flicking his arm and the screen would explode. No buttons, no controller, just Force powers making the TV burst into colour and sound flood from the speakers. The stage lighting made it look like something from a wonderful Rez inspired dream.

I would probably not look like that, playing it in my living room... But as a stage demo, I'm in love.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
pmj said:
Of course, and that's why I said it. I haven't seen the gameplay demonstration though, so all I have to go on is the trailer.

I really want this to be good but I hated the trailer.

ahh, didnt realize that comment was based on the trailer. watch the demo, then revise your post :)

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Man
I get the feeling this game won't be complete without 3D. After seeing the genki rockets 3d live a couple of weeks ago, I can only imagine this is going to be amazing.

StuBurns

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
It looked amazing to play with the Kinect. I haven't been sold on anything that's been shown so far for that peripheral, but Miz looked like a God in that live demo.

He was just moving his hands, scanning objects and then flicking his arm and the screen would explode. No buttons, no controller, just Force powers making the TV burst into colour and sound flood from the speakers. The stage lighting made it look like something from a wonderful Rez inspired dream.

I would probably not look like that, playing it in my living room... But as a stage demo, I'm in love.
That's the thing, it was a performance, in front of a huge screen. How many people have TVs that are wider than their arm span? Certainly not me.

I really hope for regular stick controls. But, whatever it takes to play this, I'll do it. I just hope it's not asking too much.

imtehman

Banned
sprsk said:
Man
I get the feeling this game won't be complete without 3D.
After seeing the genki rockets 3d live a couple of weeks ago, I can only imagine this is going to be amazing.

man this thing would be even more glorious in 3D.

pmj

op_ivy said:
ahh, didnt realize that comment was based on the trailer. watch the demo, then revise your post :)
Trust me, I want to. I want to see it so bad but GameTrailers hates me and whenever the videos don't stutter, they don't show at all. Like this one.

Don't count on me revising anything if the music isn't different and better though.

jett

D-Member
sprsk said:
Man
I get the feeling this game won't be complete without 3D. After seeing the genki rockets 3d live a couple of weeks ago, I can only imagine this is going to be amazing.

It could end up being 3D.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I want to believe so bad, but this looks like the game someone would make if they were told about Rez over a bad telephone line. Heartstoppingly beautiful, but with none of the poise and design and significance even when it's lifting elements wholesale from it.

Day one, though, obviously.

Mdk7

antipode said:
Wow. Microsoft should have scrapped the whole Cirque du Soleil, glowing poncho thing and just gone with Miz.
So true!
I just hope it's playable at E3, really i can't wait to find out tomorrow.

geebee

Banned
The Bookerman said:
Hopefully James Mielke has nothing to do with this.

But really, Rez is my all-time favorite game. I just don't like Genki Rockets... hopefully the artists that worked on Gunpey PSP will provide music. And please let me play without Move or Kinect, dammit!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Man that gameplay was stunning. I still hate the concept of motion controls (I just don't want to have to flail around like a goof to play games...ever) but on stage it looked like performance art. :lol

There is nothing in this game that would require motion controls and it would be perfectly playable without it, so I'm hopeful pad control will still be an option until they say otherwise.

Don't kill my hype Miz, please!

pmj

All right, so it is Rez. I was afraid there for a while, but it was just a bad trailer with shitty pop music in it.

The Kinect (?) controls seem a bit flaky and I don't see a lock on counter anywhere. Apparently you shoot by thrusting your hand towards the TV? It makes the reticle shake and move around but it's difficult to see exactly what movement is intentional and what isn't.

If this is the extent of the motion controls, there's no reason whatsoever this couldn't have traditional controls. It might even play better that way.

geebee

Banned
Ok I just watched the gameplay demonstration. Please get that annoying Genki Rockets girl out of the game, FFS!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Watching the game in action was amazing. I was fucking spellbound. Definitely the spiritual successor to Rez.

Really, really hope this thing has traditional controls, though. I don't wanna miss out on this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
really awesome trailer. i hope the actual game lives up to it. we'll see.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
Seen the demonstration at Ubi's conference? The trailer is nothing.
oh! 0_0
no, I really need to get on that.

anyone know where to find it? it's not in the OP or page one/two.

pmj

Doing well in Rez was all about knowing and exploiting the enemy patterns. Motion controls will probably make this part of the game a lot easier since you can instantly move the reticle wherever you want. I can't decide whether I think this is good or not. I'm usually all for playing the actual game instead of playing the controls, but Rez was easy enough as it was, and scoring well meant memorization. I hope there's a significant bump in difficulty.

The things you shoot in order to move on to the next part of the area isn't in the demo from what I can see, which is too bad because that's probably the part of Rez that made the strongest impression on me. The locking on, the sounds of the hits, the chime and the transition. The actual layer transitions here look better, even if you now approach a static image that you crash through as you go to the next part, instead of having one layer fade into the next. I think I prefer the old method, even if I always wished it was a bit better executed.

I probably shouldn't read so much into what is probably a condensed demo made specifically for E3.

StuBurns

Banned
Although I expect both Move and Natal support, I do think they'll support gamepads. Just in terms of sales, they have to.

Right now Miz says he doesn't know if this will be downloadable or disc, this has to be downloadable, because on disc it will flop, and when downloadable it will already have a smaller installbase due to the fact not all users go online, then you're making it even smaller by requiring these unproven add-ons? No way. It'd be commercial suicide.

Gilby

_dementia said:
looks like it plays like rez except even more screensavery

like, there's nothing punitive about it, and the "enemies" don't fire back

I'm willing to bet that's the first area, on the easiest setting possible.

PG2G

This totally made me realize that we need a rebirth of Panzer Dragoon for Kinect

This looks awesome BTW

pmj

_dementia said:
looks like it plays like rez except even more screensavery

like, there's nothing punitive about it, and the "enemies" don't fire back
There's no HUD beyond the reticle either, but I'm pretty sure the finished game won't be an extended trance mission.

I'm very curious how they'll handle player health. I miss the HUD actually. If there's a game where a HUD isn't out of place and "immersion breaking", it's this one. I want the scrolling combat text too.

Zoc

This is the first actual gameplay video I've seen of Kinect with a game I'd want to play, and I guess I should reserve judgement until I actually try it myself, hear reports from unbiased sources, or see a video that shows the relationship between player movements and onscreen actions better, but I thought it looked pretty terrible at this point.

It looked laggy and disconnected from what Mizuguchi was doing. When he quickly made a fist to shoot, it looked like the response was quick enough, but when he moved his hand left or right to move the cursor, I could see no co-ordination between him and the screen. What's more, the only effective movements he made were when he sharply jabbed his hand to one of the corners, and I thought I spotted a significant lag when he did that. Also, he was playing pretty badly, missing all kinds of shots. I think it's more likely that the controls as designed are imprecise, than that he sucks at his own game.

As I feared, to play this game you're going to have stand up and wave your arms around in front of your body. That's going to made me tired, I'm not going to want to do it in front of people, and I'm not going to want to do it after getting home from work late at night.

I play PS3 and Wii games with headphones, on a computer monitor. I think it's going to me impossible for me to play this in any case.

Here's to hoping for a Move (although I don't want to spend money on that, either) or regular controller version (pretty please!)

It's the first Kinect game that looks interesting (actually it looks awesome). I'd probably prefer playing it on Move or a standard controller, though. We shall see!

Top Bottom