• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle reveals food preparation tweaks in response to E. coli outbreaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiscoJer

Jack in the Box survived without having to rebrand.

They didn't change their name, but they did radically change their brand, changing their menu and their look and their advertising. That was the whole reason they brought Jack back (after blowing him up in the '80s)

andycapps

Chipotle is overrated as fuck.

If I want a chicken bowl, I can go to Pollo Tropical, get a Tropichop with more food for the same price + a drink.

That's cool but the closest one to me is about a 6 hour drive. I've got several Chipotles within a 10 minute drive. One is 2 blocks away.

Good that they've changed their food prep procedures. I had it the other day and it was great. Had it the week before as well.

They need to do something drastic. I don't see a Jack in the Box or Taco Bell type recovery anytime soon either. The whole point of their image is that they're not those kind of fast food places.

They didn't change their name, but they did radically change their brand, changing their menu and their look and their advertising. That was the whole reason they brought Jack back (after blowing him up in the '80s)

Which was crazy cause apparently there was no leadership or management shake up. They just had an ad that showed him being blown up. Apparently that was enough for people to feel like they were truly gonna change things.

Ahh yes the Jack n the Box scandal, I remember they all but vanished from the state and didn't return for over 10 years later. Didn't realize how badly Chipotle was hurting, looks like it'll be quite a while before they recover.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Basically all of the stuff they do to justify charging 10 bucks for a burrito they aren't gonna do but also raise prices

Boogie9IGN

Chipotle is overrated as fuck.

If I want a chicken bowl, I can go to Pollo Tropical, get a Tropichop with more food for the same price + a drink.

My man.

I've never liked Chipotle, all this mess just gives me another reason to say no whenever my girl is craving it.

I envy your Pollo Tropical though, the nearest Pollo Tropical to Cali is Texas ): All we have here is El Pollo Loco and that shit is hoooooorrible

Dead

well not really...yet
DN98KmWl.png
Yeah

Everyone I know simply stopped eating there

Was weird too. No one even talked about not going anymore. It just happened.

studyguy

I haven't eaten there in like a year since this shit went down. Fuck all of that. I mean I'm in LA so it's burritos everywhere anyway but still why take a chance. To me they've proven to be abject failures in maintaining safety whereas the countless other taco joints in LA haven't had a lick of trouble.

Miletius

Eventually people will forgive and forget. It's just going to be a long ride for them until then. They will need to demonstrate trust by making sure they are spotless with everybody that does come there now, which will allow them to slowly build their consumer base over again.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
There are too many options and consumers are fickle. It's probably a perfect storm of the outbreak, people getting bored, and other new options becoming available

ZeroRay

That's cool but the closest one to me is about a 6 hour drive. I've got several Chipotles within a 10 minute drive. One is 2 blocks away.

Good that they've changed their food prep procedures. I had it the other day and it was great. Had it the week before as well.

Perks of living in South Florida. But I honestly don't see Chipotle that much higher than Taco Bell when it comes to taste :p

Ahh yes the Jack n the Box scandal, I remember they all but vanished from the state and didn't return for over 10 years later. Didn't realize how badly Chipotle was hurting, looks like it'll be quite a while before they recover.

With these new safety procedures,.......doubt they will ever recover.

Pejo

Yup. Not that I was a huge fan to begin with (probably went every few months) but ever since these round of outbreaks I won't think about going back. It's amazing how psychologically I'm just like "Nah, not risking it". Given the sales decline the past 4 months it seems like a lot of people are staying away.

Nothing worse than associating a food place with any kind of sickness. My wife ate at one of our favorite restaurants in college one night and had the flu the same night and spent an entire day puking her brains out, it took her years before she could eat there again even though she knew it wasn't the cause of the sickness.

This is exactly the same line of thinking I have. It's just a subconscious thing for me now that when I'm considering Chipotle, my brain just automatically goes "nah, not worth it". Plus I'm trying to eat out less so either way they're probably not getting my business anymore.

Also screw cilantro being cooked with the rice. It tastes like dish soap to me, if I can't get plain rice it's an extra reason to not go back.

Not to derail but these E.coli outbreaks really seem to happen too often. Makes me think that maybe the way meat is produced, grown and distributed really isn't a healthy and sustainable status quo.

Not to derail bit these E.coli outbreaks really seem to happen too often. Makes me think that maybe the way meat is produced, grown and distributed really isn't a healthy and sustainable status quo.

Actually there are many vegetables, fruits and nuts E. Coli recalls as well. Not to mention samonella.

Why not require gloves and better washing of hands and the produce? Wendy's already does those two and you never heard about this sit from there.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Not to derail but these E.coli outbreaks really seem to happen too often. Makes me think that maybe the way meat is produced, grown and distributed really isn't a healthy and sustainable status quo.
I think meat wasn't the primary cause. Veggies are prone to ecoli, especially if they are organic - as many organic farms use manure as fertilizer

Alienous

Those sales drops... what the fuck?

We don't have Chipotle over here but the idea of any incident having that significant of an impact seems unreal to me.

Something like this broke the appeal of eating there for so many people? I'm glad people are so safety conscious but I'm equally surprised.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

We don't have Chipotle over here but the idea of any incident having that significant of an impact seems unreal to me.

Something like this broke the appeal of eating there for so many people?
Well in my city for example, we have a dozen different burrito places, and really they're all good. You hear about one of them getting ecoli, you just go to the burrito place down the street for lunch from now on.

Something like this broke the appeal of eating there for so many people? I'm glad people are so safety conscious but I'm equally surprised.

It's definitely real. There are still people eating there, but the ones around me in Texas have lost alot of customers. It used to be packed almost all the time. I ate there a couple of weeks ago and it was still as delicious as ever to me.

Sanjuro

Well of course there will be locations with bad employees. I meant as a whole franchise. You can find bad locations of any restaurant. As a whole though from the ones I've been to in Texas, I've never noticed anything that could be described as rude. Being stingy with meat? Sure.

Not one location. Ever.

Ask them to toast my burrito, I feel like I oppressed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom