• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle reveals food preparation tweaks in response to E. coli outbreaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syncytia

Those sales drops... what the fuck?

We don't have Chipotle over here but the idea of any incident having that significant of an impact seems unreal to me.

Something like this broke the appeal of eating there for so many people? I'm glad people are so safety conscious but I'm equally surprised.

Fairly big outbreak combined with fear driven media, and a little bit of ignorance. As a microbiologist, I'm kinda indifferent on it. I'll still get Chipotle when I feel like it.

Edit: I would even venture the perception that Chipotle is "healthy" plays into people now thinking it isn't.

Sanjuro

Well yeah, that's not something that is supposed to happen and delays the line.

A regular occurrence isn't supposed to happen?!

Hey, we fucked up folding your burrito. Let's not remake it and fold over a new piece.

Hey, you got the wrong thing? Go back in line and when it's your turn we can fix this.

Great customer experience!

akira28

works for me. Honestly they should have been doing all that shit already. What about their supply chain though?

Sounds incredibly obsessive, expensive, and useless.

My plan:

1. Do Pee Wee Herman commercials constantly about how great the food is, subconsciously associating winners turned losers turned doing sorta ok

2. Give out free food in front of other restaurants with a fire hose to blast employees sent to remote them from the premises

3. Put cameras in the restrooms and explosive collars on all employees and livestream 24/7. If an employee walks out of a restroom without washing their hands, their heads explode on live TV

A regular occurrence isn't supposed to happen?!

Hey, we fucked up folding your burrito. Let's not remake it and fold over a new piece.

Hey, you got the wrong thing? Go back in line and when it's your turn we can fix this.

Great customer experience!

Grilling someone's burrito for them once it's been made isn't a regular occurrence. They aren't supposed to do that.

...yes. Yes it is. Every place does this. Chipotle is the only one that freaks out.

Taco Bell fucking does this.

Taco Bell advertises a grilled stuffed burrito.. Chipotle doesn't. Also Chipotle's process of making food is totally different than a place like Taco Bell.

Those sales drops... what the fuck?

We don't have Chipotle over here but the idea of any incident having that significant of an impact seems unreal to me.

Something like this broke the appeal of eating there for so many people? I'm glad people are so safety conscious but I'm equally surprised.

Well, seeing as how a number of outbreaks happened in Washington, they actually shut down 40+ restaurants in Washington and Oregon for over a month. And then they reopened them when they still hadn't identified the cause of the outbreak, which hardly inspires confidence. So, yeah, that'll affect your bottom line somewhat.

Atlantis

The Chipotle Wikipedia page reveals quite a few food safety related incidents. Is this a case of this being fairly common and me not knowing, or is this place really that bad?

Sanjuro

Taco Bell advertises a grilled stuffed burrito.. Chipotle doesn't. Also Chipotle's process of making food is totally different than a place like Taco Bell.

They actually don't. Wrapping a ice cold burrito around hot beans/meat is normal?

Exactly where is Chipotle supposed to "toast" a Burrito when they don't have a grill in the food prep area?

Every Chipotle I've ever been to has a grill directly behind the prep station.

Maybe you two are from different states which has legal requirements on cooking food.

kirblar

They actually don't. Wrapping a ice cold burrito around hot beans/meat is normal?

Maybe you two are from different states which has legal requirements on cooking food.
The grill has meat and veggies cooking on it only. None of the actual burrito-making goes on there.

What do you mean? Are you calling a tortilla a burrito? Because a burrito is the entire thing once it's packed with ingredients. If you mean tortilla when you say burrito, then they always put those in the press before putting the ingredients in so they are hot.

Bsigg12

Qdoba doesn't grill their burritos either. Both places just steam to warm the tortilla to make it easier to wrap at the end.

Meh Ive given up on them..All they do is pile you up on rice and beans making you feel full, and leave you with the most stingiest amount of protein to actually make a decent meal out of their burritos/bowls. Not worth $7 for 2 pounds of rice and a pinch of chicken..

Sanjuro

Qdoba doesn't grill their burritos. Both places just steam to warm the tortilla to make it easier to wrap at the end.

They do at every location I've ever been to. They will either toast it prior or after to making the burrito. I prefer after where it leaves the burrito a little crisp.

One of the shopping centers in my town recently got remodeled and all the new stores have opened up except for the Chipotle. I assume their getting these measures in place before they open it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
After trying the Crispy Baja Chipotle Chicken burrito at Fat Bastards, I have no desire to go back to Chipotle and in Canada there weren't even any outbreaks.

Time for Freebirds to go national! I only know of one location in SoCal, but still take up in chipotle's bloody diarrhea covered throne!

bigsnack

I'm in L.A., and for two months now I have not had to wait in line to order at Chipotle, not even once. I've probably been there 15 times, and I'm the first or second customer in line every single time. The line at the one near my house used to be 30 people deep at all hours of the day. It's pretty incredible how badly this situation has impacted them. I mention to people that I went to Chipotle for lunch and they think I am insane for going, so I think it's going to take a long time for public perception to turn around.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm in L.A., and for two months now I have not had to wait in line to order at Chipotle, not even once. I've probably been there 15 times, and I'm the first or second customer in line every single time. The line at the one near my house used to be 30 people deep at all hours of the day. It's pretty incredible how badly this situation has impacted them. I mention to people that I went to Chipotle for lunch and they think I am insane for going, so I think it's going to take a long time for public perception to turn around.
fb0.jpg

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dunno why, but a Chipotle actually opened in my town a few months back. In the same shopping center with a Chick-Fil-a. In a town with several taqueria options, easily 6 or so taco/burrito trucks scattered throughout town, and TWO Mexican grocery stores that also have food prep stations for all sorts of good cheap Mexican dishes. All of those can provide a better burrito at half the price, and if you want to just go to Rubio's or Taco Bell we have like 4 of those combined in town as well.

I will be surprised if this particular local Chipotle lasts very long.

Sanjuro

So wait. You ask them to put the finished burrito back in the tortilla steamer? I can see why the workers would be upset.

Yeah. They don't normally do it out of the gate. I only see them use it on quesadillas. Other places often ask if I want it grilled after it is wrapped, so I say yes.

Alienous

Dunno why, but a Chipotle actually opened in my town a few months back. In the same shopping center with a Chick-Fil-a. In a town with several taqueria options, easily 6 or so taco/burrito trucks scattered throughout town, and TWO Mexican grocery stores that also have food prep stations for all sorts of good cheap Mexican dishes. All of those can provide a better burrito at half the price, and if you want to just go to Rubio's or Taco Bell we have like 4 of those combined in town as well.

I will be surprised if this particular local Chipotle lasts very long.

You could accelerate the inevitable by standing outside of that Chipotle and boo-ing loudly everyday.

Might be fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom