• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chipotle reveals food preparation tweaks in response to E. coli outbreaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't get why the feds are investigating their prep/handling methods.

if they are using fresh/raw veggies that have ecoli, then the only thing that matters is who is supplying ecoli infected produce to them. if you cook something to kill germs then it's no longer raw. (like cilantro, peppers, etc. that are just fresh diced) i think blanching is too extreme of a Reaction(tm).

also, the only reported cases are in northern states. i almost guarantee you this is a supplier issue and not how they prep in the kitchen. that said, i welcome a lot of their changes because it will also help with salmonella and junk like that.

Sanjuro

CornBurrito is just super pissed that his family keeps getting toasted by that bastard Sanjuro

I just wanted his mom to be extra crispy. ;-)

I really didn't think this was such an odd thing. I'm more upset of them not folding it correctly and slapping on another piece.

HoodWinked

Gold Member

if they are using fresh/raw veggies that have ecoli, then the only thing that matters is who is supplying ecoli infected produce to them. if you cook something to kill germs then it's no longer raw. (like cilantro, peppers, etc. that are just fresh diced) i think blanching is too extreme of a Reaction(tm).

also, the only reported cases are in northern states. i almost guarantee you this is a supplier issue and not how they prep in the kitchen. that said, i welcome a lot of their changes because it will also help with salmonella and junk like that.

pathetically everything is about perception as long as they announce that they're investigating then people wont constantly complain that they're not doing enough to protect the citizens even when there are higher priority issues that feds should be focusing on.

Flo_Evans

IIRC Jack in the box was a supplier issue, bad beef. They still revised all their food handling procedures in the restaurant.

Dunno why, but a Chipotle actually opened in my town a few months back. In the same shopping center with a Chick-Fil-a. In a town with several taqueria options, easily 6 or so taco/burrito trucks scattered throughout town, and TWO Mexican grocery stores that also have food prep stations for all sorts of good cheap Mexican dishes. All of those can provide a better burrito at half the price, and if you want to just go to Rubio's or Taco Bell we have like 4 of those combined in town as well.

I will be surprised if this particular local Chipotle lasts very long.

It has a unique taste compared to the authentic thing. I frequently choose it over authentic places. less greasy too.

Pyrokai

I never stopped going to Chipotle. I was never really afraid. Shrug.

Still go there 2-3 times per week. Love it so much.

Fun Fact: Evidence suggests that the human body cannot get sick from cancer/diabetes on an entirely non-GMO diet. Which explains why cancer and diabetes began existing in the 1930s when genetic research began being done to crops. Some think that the cancer/diabetes is caused by the genetic change done to the food. I personally believe it is God punishing mankind for consuming foods made from humans trying to play God by altering genes, which were previously only in his domain to control.

Fun Fact: Evidence suggests that the human body cannot get sick from cancer/diabetes on an entirely non-GMO diet. Which explains why cancer and diabetes began existing in the 1930s when genetic research began being done to crops. Some think that the cancer/diabetes is caused by the genetic change done to the food. I personally believe it is God punishing mankind for consuming foods made from humans trying to play God by altering genes, which were previously only in his domain to control.

z3yrEG7.jpg

GMOs are nature's way of having nature fight back against nature after it mistakenly allowed nature to change the nature of nature to make it more resistant to nature for the benefit of nature

Eating at Chipotle is actually perfectly safe, provided you keep an eye on the staff. Monsanto has employed many double agents. But they have their signal. Ask to check the upper left arm of any Chipotle employee serving you. If they possess a tattoo the mark of Monsanto, run out of the store. Run, don't walk.

Alternatively (and far safer) is to casually strike up a conversation with the person preparing your food. Something like "gee I sure wish Chipotle would use GMO corn." If the employee responds "Yes, I love GMO and GMO byproducts" DO NOT eat the food they have prepared for you.

tw1164

3. The company is still preparing onions, avocados, jalapenos, and limes in restaurants, but it is blanching those ingredients in boiling water to get rid of any harmful microbes before they are used to make guacamole and other items.

Blanching avocados sounds weird, I never heard of that. I would think it would mess up the texture. The first point mentions putting things in citrus juice to protect it, so I don't know why the limes need blanched either.

The Beard

Their food costs too much. I stopped going because of that, not the food safety concerns.

Yeah, I had to stop going as often as I was because of this. Over $8 for a bowl without guacamole, over $10 with guacamole. They're so damn inconsistent with the amount of guacamole too. Sometimes they give you a heaping tablespoon, sometimes it's about 1.5 lbs.

Blanching avocados sounds weird, I never heard of that. I would think it would mess up the texture. The first point mentions putting things in citrus juice to protect it, so I don't know why the limes need blanched either.

Well you wouldn't put limes in citrus juice

Or would you

Citruception

I had Chipotle a bunch across many states over the years and far too often I'd bite into chicken and think "hmmm this is a little undercooked".

When the reports of E. Coli started coming out I was less than surprised. In several instances I'd see people rushing the meat cooking because the line was busy and they were waiting on that meat.

ColdPizza

Banned
Adding cilantro to the rice immediately means I probably won't be able to get plain rice anymore so I will never go there again.

I can deal with foodborne illness but i can't deal with cilantro.

Wasn't there already cilantro in the rice? I mean, it was cilantro lime rice.

ColdPizza

Banned
I had Chipotle a bunch across many states over the years and far too often I'd bite into chicken and think "hmmm this is a little undercooked".

When the reports of E. Coli started coming out I was less than surprised. In several instances I'd see people rushing the meat cooking because the line was busy and they were waiting on that meat.

Undercooked chicken would potentially give you samonella poisoning, not E. coli (that's beef).

The E. coli either came from a sourcing problem or cross contamination during prep.

Undercooked chicken would potentially give you samonella poisoning, not E. coli (that's beef).

The E. coli either came from a sourcing problem or cross contamination during prep.

Oh, I wasn't implying that the undercooked chicken was the source of E. coli, just that they didn't seem to have their hygienic practices up to speed. Because so much of the prep was left up to the individual franchises some definitely were not up to snuff.

Good thing nobody goes anymore.

Sounds like a lot of angry young kids work there like I gathered.

It's ok, i don't hate you as much as I hate the lady that made the guy change his gloves, then had all the ingredients put on in some fucked up order that had her going back and forth, then got mad because a different person was gonna put on the salsa, causing me to skip over her, but mess up the chain of command so badly that my order got screwed up. while telling them how much she appreciated the place as a vegetarian.

ColdPizza

Banned
Oh, I wasn't implying that the undercooked chicken was the source of E. coli, just that they didn't seem to have their hygienic practices up to speed. Because so much of the prep was left up to the individual franchises some definitely were not up to snuff.

I don't think they ever truly found the source so they kind of reconfigured from top to bottom. Infected feces in the form of fertilizer could have come in contact with any of the numerous vegetables they serve. Either that or some meat got infected during slaughter and cross contamination occurred.

And I am not completely correct about E. coli. Apparently chickens and other livestock can carry it but it's not common like it is with cows.

steveovig

I used to eat there twice a week but now I'm onto Hot Heads. I just need to find a good sauce that can match the awesomeness of the Tomato salsa/hot sauce from Chipotle. I still like the taste of Chipotle better but between the ecoli and the fact that they have said prices will go up, I'm switching.

This is how me and 2 coworkers ended up with food posioning. When I sent chipotle a message about it they literally said "well noone other than you and your two 'employees' were sick so we wish you the best, maybe it was too much spice"

I have literally been eating chipotle for close to 10 years. My family is a mix of texan, indonesian and all sorts of obscure latin cultures. It was embarrassing for that to be their only response.

Cagey

Banned
Would be nice if they could not serve corn that's ice cold and ruins the heat from the rest of the damn trough of protein I'm trying to create to hit some macros.

Senoculum

Lol what? Cancer has existed forever. The word comes from the Greek word Carcinos because yes, even the ancient Greeks have experienced it. There has been thorough documentation since the 16th century, which I've been reading about since last week for a paper I'm researching for. Same with diabetes.

Dishwalla

Banned
Jack in the Box had what has to be one of the biggest comebacks ever due to an extremely successful marketing campaign, something that has continued to this day. The Jack commercials were a hit and those Jack antenna balls were everywhere for quite a while. If Taco Bell didn't have that dog Jack could've been the biggest fast food ad campaign of the late 90s/early 2000s.

Log4Girlz

Lol what? Cancer has existed forever. The word comes from the Greek word Carcinos because yes, even the ancient Greeks have experienced it. There has been thorough documentation since the 16th century, which I've been reading about since last week for a paper I'm researching for. Same with diabetes.

Don't mind Non-GMO CornBurrito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom