• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities in Motion |OT| Is your city in motion?

Jubbly

Have had the review build for about a week now, and as much as I wanted to love this game it has some serious flaws that completely bugger it up.

Primarily, it's that pile-up problem. You set up your routes, add the vehicles, and once your passenger numbers start to increase your vehicles all jam up in a line, leaving a load of angry passengers at the other end of the network. Similarly, if a bus breaks down it clogs the entire network for around a minute. Why can the other buses not go round when it's a multi-lane road?

But what this game really needs is more micromanagement. You need to be able to tell your vehicles to wait a specific amount of time at stops or until they're half full. Without that level of control you're essentially setting up a model railway and watching the trains go round and round. You have absolutely no influence on how the vehicles operate and that's the key flipping point of the entire game - the creation of a transport network under your control.

About the only thing you can do is modify the fare prices and the vehicle used. You can also initiate some PR campaigns to boost sales, but really, the game lacks that satisfaction you got from Transport Tycoon or Sid Meier's Railroads when you finally put together a profitable working network. The game is wonderfully detailed in every aspect, apart from the actual gameplay. And because of these problems it can be brutally difficult on Normal. Hell, you may have problems on the first campaign level because of the crappy old buses and soaring costs.

The PR people say there's a patch due on launch day so hopefully it fixes the above. I know there was some talk on Facebook about stopping the traffic jams, but that's only part of the problem. Also on the list of grievances: buses poking into a second lane at stops, causing massive tailbacks as AI vehicles refuse to go two inches around; vehicles breaking down way too often and always at the next stop; lack of info regarding the effect of wages on your staff; AI incidents blocking routes, with your vehicles again being unable to go around; long routes with multiple stops simply generating hundreds of passengers who all get angry and completely screw your company (seriously, only build short routes with a few stops); and so on and so forth.

The game has a lot of promise and I hope Paradox can 'do a Magicaka' to get it all fixed.

Dennis

Banned
Jubbly said:
Have had the review build for about a week now, and as much as I wanted to love this game it has some serious flaws that completely bugger it up.

Primarily, it's that pile-up problem. You set up your routes, add the vehicles, and once your passenger numbers start to increase your vehicles all jam up in a line, leaving a load of angry passengers at the other end of the network. Similarly, if a bus breaks down it clogs the entire network for around a minute. Why can the other buses not go round when it's a multi-lane road?
Haven't they already said they are workning on patching the pile-up problem?

Jintor

Yeah, but he's entitled to say that, he has review code - they released it as review code, that's what they're going to get reviewed on.

Yerolo

tiong_fi said:
Is the Steam version pulled already? Can't find it from the store and the link above doesn't work for me.

Was gone for a few hours off the Aussie store, seems to be back now though (for the same price and pre-order DLC offer). The only difference is it will probably remain locked until the 23rd this time :/

Pandemic

Most likely, although for those that already purchased can just go to the Cities in Motion folder and click the Cities in Motion.exe file.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kabouter has been playing a bunch, I hope he'll turn up in this thread to give impressions. From what he told me earlier, he really likes the game in general but feels the cities aren't accurate enough and he thinks the built-in scenarios are garbage.

bjaelke

First review?

Brashgames.uk 9/10

To be fair, this is an awesome game, very well presented, very well written, absorbing and entertaining. But, like SimCity, Transport Tycoon or any other simulation it has its niche audience and whilst there appears to be have been a bit of a gap in this genre recently, it will only appeal to those who enjoy this kind of city-wide management. It won't pull the hardcore FPS guys away from their gamepads, but it certainly keeps those of us who really enjoy this kind of game enthralled for many hours. Well done Paradox and Colossal Order, a game well done

Lumine

I tried the open beta last night for about 10mins, didn't have more time. I'll be playing more later. I'm wondering though, I thought I read something that you can build your own city on top of designing the traffic systems, but the open beta doesn't seem to have any of that. Just building roads and stations. Is this different in the full game or did I just read wrong? Looks fun anyway, it's graphically charming. It makes me crave for another rollercoaster tycoon in this style. You know, with the pseudo 2d characters, social groups, etc.

Dennis

Banned
bjaelke said:
First review?

Brashgames.uk 9/10
Good but I think I will have to wait until the pile-up patch before playing. Would be nice if they have that ready by launch day.

I don't like playing broken games if all I have to do is wait a little.

Kabouter

DennisK4 said:
Good but I think I will have to wait until the pile-up patch before playing. Would be nice if they have that ready by launch day.

You're absolutely right for waiting, I've probably played 5-6 hours now, and I'm done with the game until they patch it. It's fun now, but when you get too far, and your stuff gets too large, you need time tables. And actually, I wouldn't mind being able to build bigger metro stations, four platforms for instance rather than two would be great.

Edit:
Stumpokapow said:
Kabouter has been playing a bunch, I hope he'll turn up in this thread to give impressions. From what he told me earlier, he really likes the game in general but feels the cities aren't accurate enough and he thinks the built-in scenarios are garbage.
I wouldn't say the scenarios are garbage, but they could have been quite a bit more. From what I've played so far, they seem like too much of an afterthought, which is a real shame, because good scenarios can make a game of this type shine much more than it would in sandbox mode.

The cities not being accurate enough is putting it mildly. They look almost nothing like their real life counterparts, which is a real shame. Amsterdam for instance has canals, but they are all wrong (something they could have easily avoided), the only 'real' landmark is the Royal Palace of Amsterdam. They also included an obelisk on the Dam square to represent the National Monument, forgetting that it was erected in 1956 in memory of those lost in the Second World War however it's already present if you start in 1920. I'm not saying of course they should've gone for major historical accuracy, and should have designed dozens of unique buildings for all four cities in the game, but certainly they could and should have tried to do more than they did now.

Edit2: Also, when you start the game the first few seconds are in black and white. I would like an option included in the game to have most of it (all except the stuff necessary for gameplay like lines and coverage) remain all in black & white until a set date.

bjaelke

DennisK4 said:

The game they mistakenly released yesterday was not without bugs, but it seems like they have already fixed them for the official release.

Jintor

I would have been impressed if they had left the Steam version up with the caveat that they wouldn't be supporting save compatibility and so on, but whatever.

Ranger X

bjaelke said:
First review?

Brashgames.uk 9/10

I wonder why reviewers always feel to warn people that "if it's not your genre of games, you might not like". I mean wtf, not shit sherlock! Why don't they feel to tell me that with racing games, shooters, platformers and whatnot?

At least they gave it a nice score!

zoku88

Kabouter said:
You're absolutely right for waiting, I've probably played 5-6 hours now, and I'm done with the game until they patch it. It's fun now, but when you get too far, and your stuff gets too large, you need time tables. And actually, I wouldn't mind being able to build bigger metro stations, four platforms for instance rather than two would be great.
Those are pretty much my complaints, too.

I've played about 4-5 hours (actually, pretty much what I played today. Just in sandbox mode, though.)

Timetables are something I really find myself needing. The 'schedules' that I eventually end up running are horrible inefficient. Especially with buses. Like, because of traffic or buses breaking down, I'm eventually left with buses following each other very closely. So, the first bus is doing a lot of work and the second bus does almost nothing. Even worse, people become unhappy, because the time they have between buses increases....

Actually, without timetables... I guess that's pretty much like the Boston T (hahaha.ha....ha...ha.... :( )

There's something else I wish I could do (maybe you can do this.) Have a two platform station but have two tracks per platform. So, like, an express metro can not have to stop at every station. Something like that. And then the tracks converge a little bit past the station. Anyone ever use a system like that?

I still find it fun, but I wish there were more options.

As far as scenarios go, I can't comment on them. I usually don't play scenarios. Which I guess is odd...

Sloane

Banned
Ranger X said:
I wonder why reviewers always feel to warn people that "if it's not your genre of games, you might not like". I mean wtf, not shit sherlock! Why don't they feel to tell me that with racing games, shooters, platformers and whatnot?
It usually means the reviewer doesn't really know the genre himself, thus fearing others might not like / know it, too.

zoku88

I kinda take it to mean something different.

I mean, for example, I don't like FPS in general, but I like HL2. Mostly because of atmosphere and story telling. I just think that there are games in a genre that can appeal to people who don't like a specific genre.

In the contrary, there's no way a game like EUIII could appeal to strategy haters.

Jimrpg

ive bought the game but just played the tutorial - why do u guys think we need timetabling and MORE micromanagement. i mean isnt that the game's job to evenly distribute the buses, trains etc in an efficient manner. surely it cant be that hard for them to program it so that to manage say 5 buses on a route with 10 stops.

but i agree that in its current form the piling up of buses is very annoying.

Ranger X

arbok26 said:
ive bought the game but just played the tutorial - why do u guys think we need timetabling and MORE micromanagement. i mean isnt that the game's job to evenly distribute the buses, trains etc in an efficient manner. surely it cant be that hard for them to program it so that to manage say 5 buses on a route with 10 stops.

but i agree that in its current form the piling up of buses is very annoying.

I would bet that it's exactly what the patch will do. The game will take care of all that alone. I would be really surprised they put new gameplay in, new menus, etc. (everything that would be needed to make those timetable gameplay)

Milpool

I only have the open beta so far, but I keep going back to it so it must be pretty good. I'd give my left bollock to have these guys make the next Rollercoaster Tycoon, with Chris Sawyer's involvement of course.

ogj6h.jpg

Mesijs

I'm reviewing this game but I keep having this bug in campaign mode in Helsinki where I just don't get any tasks anymore and it doesn't matter how long I wait... really irritating.

Milpool said:
I only have the open beta so far, but I keep going back to it so it must be pretty good. I'd give my left bollock to have these guys make the next Rollercoaster Tycoon, with Chris Sawyer's involvement of course.

ogj6h.jpg

Im a huge fan of RCT and no.
First of all, Chris Sawyer doesnt want to know nothing about the saga anymore.
And it was Atari's fault that RCT3 had so many bugs at the start, because they made Frontier realease it before it was ready.
RCT3 with expansions, patches and the community makes it a great game, its the best theme park game out there.
Chris sawyer didnt want to make a sandbox mode in the game, so he didnt make it in the original, and made a shitty crapped version, that didnt leave enough freedom in RCT2. He made a great game, but fuck him because people want to make their dream park apart from playing his campaign.

RCT4 would be great if it expands RCT3 and reworks what didnt work. An easy to use Nolimits type for coaster construction would be a great start.

But lets stop. This is not the time to talk about RCT, not in this thread at least.

Ranger X

Can't wait for my pre-order to be ready for download!

Man this thread is a barren land. Such a shame that intelligent games are niche...

I suppose we might reach page 4 around the time Cities In Motion 2 will come out. (Wait, it won't come out because the first one will tank!)

Pandemic

Two new reviews (won't be added to front page, only ones from IGN, etc)
Mana Pool - 7.8/10
All in all, Cities in Motion is really a fantastically relaxing simulator; you can take it as slowly as you like as you can build whilst paused – but for the total control freaks amongst us (and many people who enjoy games like this also enjoy knowing every little statistical piece of information we can get our hands on), we would really like to have more information available. It’s still possible to build up your travel empire without it, but there’s just no reason for it to be missing. To sum up, if this is your kind of game, at £15 Cities in Motion is a bargain for a game which will keep you busy for absolutely ages.

Gaming Nexus - B/A+
In summary, “Cities in Motion” looks to become a solid transportation sim in a colorful package. A comprehensive city model and a wide assortment of transport modes provide a wealth of choices to the aspiring city planner.

Jubbly

Demo released:

Demo for ‘Cities in Motion’ released!

Wanted: city planner with vision to build the ultimate urban public transport system. Apply within.

NEW YORK – 17th February 2011 – Paradox Interactive and Colossal Order Ltd has today released a playable demo for their eagerly anticipated mass transportation simulator for the PC Cities in Motion, releasing on February 22nd. Containing the tutorial mode from the game, the Cities in Motion playable demo covers one in-game year and gives players a tantalizing taste of the fun and addictive gameplay they can expect from the full release.

The demo can be downloaded from
http://www.fileplanet.com/files/210000/218762.shtml

bjaelke

The demo only contains the tutorial :(
Fileplanet link above is apparently for the old demo.

I'm so sorry I'm afraid you got the old demo made at the same time as the open beta build. So obviously there's none of the fixes we worked on after your feedback on the beta. I have already contacted Paradox and hopefully you'll get the latest demo asap.

I really appreciate your patience on this matter.

The newest demo version can be found here: http://www.gamepron.com/file/2407/Cities-in-Motion-Demo/

Ranger X

No comments from anybody?
You people should try the demo, seriously. It's a really nice strategy game here and it's not too sleep inducing or hardcore, don't fear!

Ranger X

Are stores like Steam / Impulse, etc are updated at midnight? I mean, I could be playing this game in a couple of hours if so.

Nabbed it a few hours ago when it went live on Gamersgate. Day one patch installed, coffee brewed and time to run some transit company into bankruptcy and shame!

My buses are ready.

Jubbly

Not detecting any real differences between the review and retail builds. Most annoyingly, the bus/train/tram backlogs still exist and they still follow each other around the routes, refusing to wait for a minute for extra passengers and to space things out.

Ranger X

Jubbly said:
Not detecting any real differences between the review and retail builds. Most annoyingly, the bus/train/tram backlogs still exist and they still follow each other around the routes, refusing to wait for a minute for extra passengers and to space things out.

That fix is coming in a patch, it was not to be fixed day one. :/

Reikon

Is it me or is the amount of traffic ridiculous compared to the beta? My bus and tram lines are pretty much useless now since they can barely move.

Kunohara

So I don't know if am just really slow or what, but during the tutorial, when it says to buy a bus for the route you just made, when I buy it (it goes into the vehicle depot (which I assume means I've bought it since my money goes down), and then nothing. The game doesn't proceed with the tutorial, it keeps asking me to buy a bus. Am I missing something here?

Dying to play this as TTD was awesome.

In love, despite issues with scheduling. I think we're going to see a nice community and user-created map packs "down the line". Ho ho ho.

Ranger X

Pylon_Trooper said:
In love, despite issues with scheduling. I think we're going to see a nice community and user-created map packs "down the line". Ho ho ho.

Unless there's only the 4 of us playing this game. lol

Jubbly

Kunohara said:
So I don't know if am just really slow or what, but during the tutorial, when it says to buy a bus for the route you just made, when I buy it (it goes into the vehicle depot (which I assume means I've bought it since my money goes down), and then nothing. The game doesn't proceed with the tutorial, it keeps asking me to buy a bus. Am I missing something here?

Dying to play this as TTD was awesome.

Did you activate the line using the little flag icon in the route manager?

Top Bottom