• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton: Trump supporters in "the basket of deplorables" ie - racist, homophobic, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, that half she's talking about is not who this message is for. Chasing them and attempting to win them over would be absolutely futile. The idea here is to shame the "I just want an outsider!" types and others who are merely ignorant. Riling up racists and homophobes is not going to be bad for her.

Yeah, Hillary can win without needing to court the David Duke vote.

Mizerman

If you want to help someone to change, you have to love them first, despite their flaws. Hate only begets hate.

No thanks. I don't want to "love" racists.

That's kind of the point. All this is going to do is rile them up and make them push back more. There's no benefit to making this sort of statement, and in the worst case it could hurt her.

It's going to hurt her with the portion who already hate her entire existence and believe that Obama is a secret Muslim?

Hopfrog

When you traffic in racism, bigotry, misogyny, ludicrous conspiracies, and utter contempt for honest discourse you lose the right to be offended when someone calls you out for what you are. Sick of the seeming fear of hurting the feelings of hateful people who regularly cheer the idea of the imprisonment or execution of the opponent of their chosen idol.

Tommy DJ

That's kind of the point. All this is going to do is rile them up and make them push back more. There's no benefit to making this sort of statement, and in the worst case it could hurt her.

When some 60% of these sort of people believe she has or may have a direct relationship with Lucifer, there's no need to mince words anymore.

Shaanyboi

Banned
This is a problematic attitude that simultaneously fails to recognize reality (yes they are part of America too) and denies a fundamental belief in redemption and the ability of people to change for the better. Categorizing people as irredeemable, or reducing them to their worst elements, is itself a cancer.
These people aren't just naively going along with it. If you can still support this idiot after everything he's said, all the dumb shit rhetoric, all the signs of actual insanity, it only makes you more and more of an asshole.

Cyan

Banned
Some people will be all outrage brigade and butthurt about this, some people will say she should be politically correct instead of "offensive" and "triggering," but I for one admire that she's not afraid to tell it like it is.

Holmes

And honestly, she is human despite what some may think. In the last few months they've said she should be locked up, is Lucifer, is told almost daily how unlikable and corrupt she is, and even today a Congressman said she was special needs. She sees this and to her it is deplorable.

The funny thing is that Trump has been all about not being politically correct this entire cycle. It will be hilarious to hear them whining about offensive she is.

Not

Banned
Some people will be all outrage brigade and butthurt about this, some people will say she should be politically correct instead of "offensive" and "triggering," but I for one admire that she's not afraid to tell it like it is.

Funny how Trump gets lauded for this, and Hillary seems to get admonished for it.

Bronx-Man

Banned
"We can't write off bigots, we need to teach them that bigotry is wrong!"

Holy shit, dude I never thought of trying this, oh my god

I'd say embarrassing the shit out them is more likely to work.

Not really. I'd argue that embarrassing them as an attempt at getting them to reform is kinda like using corporal punishment on a child. Most of the time, they aren't really going to change, they're just going to try to get better at hiding whatever they're doing.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No thanks. I don't want to "love" racists.

It's going to hurt her with the portion who already hate her entire existence and believe that Obama is a secret Muslim?

It could potentially hurt her if the right leaning or interest-driven media spins it as a "Hillary insults Trump supporters" story, even if what she's saying is right.

Maybe. There probably aren't actually that many people that would see this and see Hillary as a lesser individual than Trump because "she insulted the opposition's supporters."

I wish I could convey thoughts as words better. Fuck.

Hopfrog

The funny thing is that Trump has been all about not being politically correct this entire cycle. It will be hilarious to hear them whining about offensive she is.

Exactly.

Trump supporter: I like him because he tells it like it is, not afraid to say what he means.

Clinton: *tells it like it is, says what she means*

Trump supporter: *clutches pearls* How DARE she!

pigeon

Banned
Not really. I'd argue that embarrassing them as an attempt at getting them to reform is kinda like using corporal punishment on a child. Most of the time, they aren't really going to change, they're just going to try to get better at hiding whatever they're doing.

When what they're doing is contributing to social norms and affecting what children growing up believe is appropriate behavior, hiding is a big win.

Obviously I would prefer actually making them not racist but it turns out there's no easy way to do that. Shaming them into keeping their racism to themselves seems more practical.

smurfx

get some go again
hillary can also say that those very same trump supporters don't represent true republicans and put out any fires that way. she has even gotten endorsed by some republicans and can have them back her up.

greyshark

This is a problematic attitude that simultaneously fails to recognize reality (yes they are part of America too) and denies a fundamental belief in redemption and the ability of people to change for the better. Categorizing people as irredeemable, or reducing them to their worst elements, is itself a cancer.

Best first post I've read in a while - well said.

DOWN

Banned
She had some of these deplorable views in the past too so I don't think the comment was smart and doesn't give credit to the fact that people's minds can change for the better.

She had some of these deplorable views in the past too so I don't think the comment was smart and doesn't give credit to the fact that people's minds can change for the better.
Name them. Name anything even remotely comparable to the vile shit that is spewed from the mouth of Trump, his surrogates and his supporters.

Trump: says something insulting and his base eats it up because he is "telling it like it is"

Hillary: says something insulting and OMG HOW CAN SHE SLAP

Right wingers and fascists are the most thin skinned people. Don't interrupt their safe spaces or you'll get them all pissy.

Good.

Saying otherwise has led to this idiotic "that's just their opinion!!" as if it's isolated from real world harm and we're still supposed to respect that? Fuck that.

100% correct. These people need to be called out for who and what they are. We see you. No more validation.

Wasn't there some poll where something like 20% of Trump Supporters disagreed with freeing the slaves? So, nearly half of that half is practically the KKK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom