• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Clinton: Trump supporters in "the basket of deplorables" ie - racist, homophobic, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
Wasn't there some poll where something like 20% of Trump Supporters disagreed with freeing the slaves? So, nearly half of that half is practically the KKK.
i hope a big polling firm asks the trump supporters a bunch of similar questions and see what they say.

Are some of you people serious with the America shit? She's not being literally, obviously. She knows she's in fucking America, for the love of Kukulkan. She's clearly being symbolic, as in saying that's not what America is suppose to be, what it symbolizes. Jesus, you all are going to start a new movement among the alt-right that Clinton is senile and doesn't even know what fucking country she's in.

DOWN

Banned
Both sides are the same, dude. Peace.

Name them. Name anything even remotely comparable to the vile shit that is spewed from the mouth of Trump, his surrogates and his supporters.

Both sides edgelording is the worst
I'm a Hillary stan and not of the 'both are the same' persuasion but let's not act like superpradators and anti-gay speech weren't the name of the game for her at one time now that we're on the subject

mjp2417

Banned
Are some of you people serious with the America shit? She's not being literally, obviously. She knows she's in fucking America, for the love of Kukulkan. She's clearly being symbolic, as in saying that's not what America is suppose to be, what it symbolizes. Jesus, you all are going to start a new movement among the alt-right that Clinton is senile and doesn't even know what fucking country she's in.

I mean, context and nuance is hard. Knee-jerk outrage is much, much easier.

Pretty sure she's explicitly calling 21% of the country deplorable, which isn't too far from W's approval ratings in 2008 and is probably the same proportion of the country that would get openly mad about interracial marriage

Good.

Saying otherwise has led to this idiotic "that's just their opinion!!" as if it's isolated from real world harm and we're still supposed to respect that? Fuck that.

Right? You have to call out monsters for what they are. This is a hate movement, born of bigotry. It's not about jobs, or banks, or anything else. Trump has one attribute that sets him apart: he is open about his hate, and he has brought the monsters out of the woodwork.

We have to confront it, and call it what it is. To do anything else is being fundamentally dishonest.

atr0cious

I'm a Hillary stan and not of the 'both are the same' persuasion but let's not act like superpradators and anti-gay speech weren't the name of the game for her at one time now that we're on the subject
Any time anyone brings up the super predator comment, I know they couldn't give two shits about the people they're supposedly directed at. Just some lame nonsense.

johnsmith

remember me
She fucked up by giving a solid number. If she had been vague and had said "some" or "a portion" or "a few" she would have been fine. It's stupid but that's how it works. She was having such a good week after the Matt Lauer fuck up and the positive reaction to her press conferences too.

Future

It's good to hear politicians saying the truth and not dancing around the ugliness on display. You gotta say this shit out loud and not passively accept or dismiss it. It's a serious problem of the Republican Party and trump movement in general

DOWN

Banned
Any time anyone brings up the super predator comment, I know they couldn't give two shits about the people they're supposedly directed at. Just some lame nonsense.
? Quite shallow that you go there at any mention of it, not to mention dramatic and false. Even she condemned that comment. Please. I'm not saying hold a grudge over it like she never learned. I'm saying acknowledge she's learned and come to a better place on plenty of ideas.

Y'all are coming after me and I don't have a problem with her. I just don't care for the complete comment she gave.

royalan

Crossposting from PoliGaf:

Ultimately, I don't think the comment is going to hurt Clinton, because Trump has allowed his campaign to be defined by those deplorables.

We see them every day at Trump's highly publicized rallies.

We see them every day on the news acting as Trump's surrogates.

We see David Duke running for office and praising Trump.

We see Russia praising Trump.

There's no denying at this point that Trump's most visible supporters have brought the level of political discourse down into the mud. And I think a lot of people are tired of it.

So, while some pundits may be trying to make a big deal of this, I think a hefty chunk of the left, and even a number on the right, are going to hear what Clinton said and think, ".......yep, sounds about right."

Mark L

I agree with her, but I do not think saying it was wise. She has nothing to gain here. I dunno. Maybe it will rally undecided voters who don't want to be seen as part of that group? Or galvanize her base?

I'm not going to touch the super predator thing because, just no.

But, she hasn't said anything anti-gay. If you want to talk about the fact that she didn't support marriage equality, well I have a list of people we would have to label as "anti-gay." (And it would include Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Bill Clinton, and about 70% of Americans at some point). But that is, literally, one aspect of a person's record when it comes to an issue as complex as LGBT rights.And she's been a great ally and advocate to the LGBT community. So, no on that one, too, I'm afraid.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Donald Trump literally started his campaign by calling immigrants criminals and rapists. One of his most touted proposals is banning members of an entire faith from entering the US entirely. He constantly retweets actual white supremacists and tweeted and anti-semetic meme to insult his opponent. He questioned a judge's ability to do his job properly because of his Mexican heritage.

It's no surprise that a man that has founded an entire presidential campaign on white nationalism has attracted some of the most nefarious demographics into supporting him. Why do you think sites like Stormfront, Breitbart, /pol/, & 8chan are championing him? There is no question that at least half, if not a good majority of Trump supporters support him because they think he's the key to keeping straight white cisgender Christian Americans in power for as long as possible.

Branduil

PEOPLE: I wish Hillary would tell it like it is instead of saying focus group-tested pablum.
HILLARY: Trump supporters are racist.
PEOPLE: Whoa girl, think about the optics.

smurfx

get some go again
she may soften on this but i really hope her surrogates go out there and show proof of this. there is plenty of it and i hope they shove the proof down those political commentators mouths that will try and make this a news story.

Mark L

PEOPLE: I wish Hillary would tell it like it is instead of saying focus group-tested pablum.
HILLARY: Trump supporters are racist.
PEOPLE: Whoa girl, think about the optics.

This is a really fair point, I think. I have been guilty of this.

Oh my bad, she was always positive on gay issues ��

She's awesome currently and I haven't suggested otherwise so I'm a bit lost as to what the problem is

There's a wide gap between where she was at and anti-gay speech. We're talking about a time where it was poltically ok to say that gay people deserved to contract HIV and there were very few political consequences. You have a point that people (and countries) move forward on issues all the time, but there is a large difference from moving like that to trying to convince the people that the LGBT community are going to hell are deviants.

There is too much research out there showing how difficult it is to change opinions once its ingrained especially for those who stay sheltered.

The bad part about this statemetn was her calling those people un American because as much as we don't want to admit it, the bigotry is large part of America.

DOWN

Banned
I'm not going to touch the super predator thing because, just no.

But, she hasn't said anything anti-gay. If you want to talk about the fact that she didn't support marriage equality, well I have a list of people we would have to label as "anti-gay." (And it would include Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Bill Clinton, and about 70% of Americans at some point). But that is, literally, one aspect of a person's record when it comes to an issue as complex as LGBT rights.And she's been a great ally and advocate to the LGBT community. So, no on that one, too, I'm afraid.
check my post history or something idk. We're in agreement on too much for this to continue where you're going. These things have come up in threads we've both been in before and with more nuance and I've defended her so let's not

For those who are saying "this is too general, some of his supporters are just uninformed/ignorant/fooled. We can win them back with love." Maybe read the rest of her statement. There's a reason the "basket of deplorables" is only used to describe 50%.

she may soften on this but i really hope her surrogates go out there and show proof of this. there is plenty of it and i hope they shove the proof down those political commentators mouths that will try and make this a news story.
I hope she doesn't apologize and continues to bring up all the points she made in that alt-right speech.

Trump hired an actual white nationalist publisher as his campaign executive. For media people to rush to the fainting couch when Clinton then states that a significant proportion of his supporters are bigots is the height of "both sides" Beltway insularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom