• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Ghosts PS4 case jacket leaked; 49GB install

entremet

I'll be honest, I'm very surprised this quote hasn't been quoted to hell and back since April because that is very clear that full installs were there.

I even made a thread about it. There some skepticism there as well.

Damn 49GB...
Hoping not every game needs that...
Or at least I hope its a quick installation

I thought 500GB seemed plenty enough at time (Hell with my PS3 with 160GB I think? I'm still fine and havent used all the space at one time yet), if one game will take nearly 1/10 of it, it wont last long...

It's gonna happen with every game.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I really don't understand how some people seem to be upset about a game like this one taking 49GB of hard drive space. It's just progress. We would not have these games if they had to run off a disc. The performance simply isn't there. So...we have to have them installed.

I seriously challenge the people upset about this to REALISTICALLY explain how they would have 10-12 games like this installed all at the same time, and be playing each of them, to where this would cause a problem. Maybe a few exceptions are out there but on the average, people will not do this. So simply delete the game once you've played it through and aren't going back to it anymore. It's not like leaving it on the Hard Drive gives you an advantage since you'll still need the disc to play it.

If you delete it and suddenly decide you have to play it again, keep in mind that these game supposedly will start playing WHILE they're installing. So it's not like you'll have to wait 10 minutes or more each time you want to install and play something. Of course another option/solution is to do what you would do on a PC and upgrade the hard drive. Cheap enough.

Bottom line is that we've been told over and over how these consoles are more closely mirroring the PC architecture....so the need for more hard drive space shouldn't come as a shock to anyone, especially since we're also talking about HD graphics...perhaps even 1080p graphic resources.

Minions

I really don't understand how some people seem to be upset about a game like this one taking 49GB of hard drive space. It's just progress. We would not have these games if they had to run off a disc. The performance simply isn't there. So...we have to have them installed.

I seriously challenge the people upset about this to REALISTICALLY explain how they would have 10-12 games like this installed all at the same time, and be playing each of them, to where this would cause a problem. Maybe a few exceptions are out there but on the average, people will not do this. So simply delete the game once you've played it through and aren't going back to it anymore. It's not like leaving it on the Hard Drive gives you an advantage since you'll still need the disc to play it.

If you delete it and suddenly decide you have to play it again, keep in mind that these game supposedly will start playing WHILE they're installing. So it's not like you'll have to wait 10 minutes or more each time you want to install and play something. Of course another option/solution is to do what you would do on a PC and upgrade the hard drive. Cheap enough.

Bottom line is that we've been told over and over how these consoles are more closely mirroring the PC architecture....so the need for more hard drive space shouldn't come as a shock to anyone, especially since we're also talking about HD graphics...perhaps even 1080p graphic resources.

I think it more or less has to do with hard drive size limitations. If they only git a standard 9.5mm laptop drive, then the max capacity is 1.5TB which is not all that large. If they have 11.5-12.5mm then you get 2TB~ (perhaps larger as the demand would increase for larger than laptop smaller than desktop drives);

Most people would likely agree it would have been nice if they could have fit a desktop drive slot in the PS4.... but as it is so small and slimlined that would be basically impossible. The xbox one on the otherhand has plenty of room.

gruenel

And that's only if you get every GB, which you don't. 500 GB = 465 actual GB. Of which the OS takes a potentially huge chunk. Add the 8 GB that will be reserved for Suspend to RAM modes, the space required for 15 minute recording, ... You end up with 350 GB in a best case scenario. So 7 games, not 10.

I've seen ~416GB available on dev kit screenshots IIRC.

Also, you don't need HDD space for suspend to RAM (aka standby), what you are talking about is suspend to disk which I'm not sure the PS4 will even do.

Edit: 423 even: http://mygaming.co.za/news/wp-conte...PS4-Knack-demo-crashed-to-the-consoles-UI.jpg

LtOrange

I am just thankful I will be able to upgrade the hdd. I plan on playing a lot of the online games(Destiny, ESO, The Division) and won't be deleting those. Add the F2P games and PSN titles...500 is nowhere near enough. Swapping for bigger space should be painless and relatively cheap.

Green Yoshi

Dead Rising 3: 35 GB
Ryse: 47 GB
Forza Motorsport 5: 35 GB

Do you have to install every PS4- and XBO-game? Then you will run out of space sooner or later.

Roshin

This needs to be adressed somehow, otherwise people wont buy new titles, simply because they wont have room to install them.

Not sure if it's been posted, but it's 2 discs on 360. Sound similar to GTAV and BF4 setup - Link.

c.jpg

Top Bottom