• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Ghosts PS4 case jacket leaked; 49GB install

dallow_bg

nods at old men
mandatory install is going to be a problem when you get a ton of games. These systems do with with external hard drives, no?

It'll be a problem if you don't clear up games you're no longer playing.
X1 will install games to external though. Ps4 no. (Yet?)

Loakum

Banned
I'm gonna have to invest in a 1tb hard drive, because 500gb is gonna get filled up fast, if one game can take up 49gb worth of space by itself. (I know, I'm Captain Obvious)

synce

So it's true you can only put 8 games filled with dummy data and NOTHING ELSE on the PS4's standard HDD? I'll be holding off on the next gen for a while

Orayn

Sony and Microsoft would both be crazy not to offer some way of automatically managing game install data since installations are now the default..

An option to only keep install data for X most recently played games would be pretty painless.

It's very much a time sink to be constantly deleting/re-installing games that you want to pull out and play for a few hours. I can see why this might be a negative.

You realise that the installs are all done in the background, right? You can start playing the game immediately and it will run off the disc at first, before switching to the HDD once it has enough data installed. The only time consuming thing will be having to manually delete them and then have slightly longer load times when the game is running off the disc.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
It's very much a time sink to be constantly deleting/re-installing games that you want to pull out and play for a few hours. I can see why this might be a negative.

Being able to play as you install makes that a non-issue mostly. Only reason I keep game data on my PS3 is because the initial installs are pretty painful and the game can't be played until it's installed and patched. With PS4 and Xbone, I shouldn't have to do this, at least in theory.

8VVA7xw.jpg

Come at me bro!

Valnen

mandatory install is going to be a problem when you get a ton of games. These systems do with with external hard drives, no?

Xbox One lets you install games to an external drive I believe, but they have to because they're doing the same every game mandatory install thing and the internal drive can't be replaced.

Be honest, did that thing cost more than the console?

Considering it appears to be laying on top of an alienware I'm guessing money isn't an issue for him.

Tsundere

Banned
Xbox One lets you install games to an external drive I believe, but they have to because they're doing the same every game mandatory install thing and the internal drive can't be replaced.

Like most features, this won't be available at launch.

Eusis

$525 during the amazon 20% deal along with $45 amazon credit. After taxes it was 500ish.
Huh, at this rate we really may be looking at getting those for at least Playstations as the norm rather than the crazy expensive option. Especially if harddrives fail to completely trounce them price wise, there's only so much you can make something cheaper before the materials alone keep it at a certain cost.

MilkBeard

You realise that the installs are all done in the background, right? You can start playing the game immediately and it will run off the disc at first, before switching to the HDD once it has enough data installed. The only time consuming thing will be having to manually delete them and then have slightly longer load times when the game is running off the disc.

That does help, I suppose. If you can install only a part of the game and then start playing. It's not the answer I was looking for, but it is a compromise. Still not the same thing as popping it in and viola, press start to awesome.

Why couldn't they just update the disc reader? I'm sure in 2013 we have drives that can read a HELL of a lot faster than the ones in '06.

Why not just force us to install what the devs feel are absolutely necessary and the heavily upgraded reader drive does the rest?

I...what?!

hesido

beg.gif

This needs 49GB?

Seriously?

Thanks for making everything look like miniatures, post-FX guys. (In fact, all COD's I know have this unnecessary and unrealistically scaled Depth Of Field in the death scene, which makes everything look so small, and makes it lose scale. It's a signature effect of COD's death view, and it looks absolutely stupid.

MilkBeard

It is the same thing as that though because you can start playing immediately.

Could be true, but we are introducing lots of variables with this activity. Is it streaming from the disc or from the Blu-Ray? Seems like a helluva strain to be installing and streaming data from a single hard drive all at once. I hope those things are sturdy.

Anyway, I understand that it's only a *modest* compromise, but it's still inconvenient. I understand why Nintendo opted so long for cartridge so that they could avoid load times. That idea of just popping in the game to play and no hassle is just a better scenario, for convenience and for anyone in the family to play. But that's getting beyond the point. If you can actually uninstall the game, then re-install and start exactly where you left off in your save while installing the game again, I'd be impressed. But somehow I don't think it's going to be like that.

That does help, I suppose. If you can install only a part of the game and then start playing. It's not the answer I was looking for, but it is a compromise. Still not the same thing as popping it in and viola, press start to awesome.

Did you even read my post? That is EXACTLY what you can do. Everything is done in the background, there's no install screens or anything. It seamlessly switches from playing the game off the disc to playing the game off the HDD. The only way you'll notice this is in the load times (because discs are slower than drives).

Edit: In this case, the disc is very clearly the bluray.

Cerny laid out exactly how it's going to work, there's no variables.

mo60

It will take me 10 +hours probably to install a game that needs that much space.Those 500Gb hardrives will fill up quick on both next gen consoles.

mjontrix

So... when does the SSD 2TB RAID 0 edition of the PS4 come out xD

Hopefully there's some 2TB SSDs soon for this beast! Probably will cost as much as 3x PS4s (or one Brazilian PS4).

jayu26

Killzone SF has around a 50GB required install the last time I checked.

When was the last time you checked?

At an event at Guerrilla's Amsterdam offices this week, the developer confirmed that the final version of PlayStation 4 launch title Killzone Shadow Fall clocks in at 39.7GB (in Europe, anyway: some localised versions of the game, needing fewer audio tracks in different languages, are closer to 37GB). Using Sony's PlayGo system, which allows a game to be played while it's still streaming data off the servers, Shadow Fall will be playable after a 7.5GB download.

From Eurogamer.

I'm gonna go ahead and say most of the COD fanbase is composed of Softcore and casual players and 50 gigs won't mean much as they buy 2 or 3 games a year and when BLOPS 3 comes out they'll just delete Ghosts' Data

jayu26

About a month ago.

Well it could have been 290GB. From the same article...

"I think at some point the disc image that we were generating was around 180 gigs," said van der Leeuw. "And if we would have put all the levels in, which we didn't, because then the disc image generator broke, it would have been around 290 gigs of data.

"So we had to completely re-architect how we deal with data. And we did a lot of work - this is actually something I'm extremely proud of - to optimise our disc access pattern. Sony made special libraries for us because we were the first ones hitting these sort of problems. I think it's something that a lot of people will need to be doing in future."

MilkBeard

Did you even read my post? That is EXACTLY what you can do. Everything is done in the background, there's no install screens or anything. It seamlessly switches from playing the game off the disc to playing the game off the HDD. The only way you'll notice this is in the load times (because discs are slower than drives).

Edit: In this case, the disc is very clearly the bluray.

Cerny laid out exactly how it's going to work, there's no variables.

Did you read *my* post just above yours?
see I can do that too

Anyway, I understand it's easier than ever before to perform these operations, but like I said, it's still a complication and an inconvenience. Also if you can start your save file exactly where you left off (say, if you saved at the end of the game, for example) while re-installing I would be impressed. But I don't think the system is going to know how to do that. If you have proof that it will then please do provide the link because I'm too lazy to look it up.

EDIT: Okay, so you can play from the disc. I don't see why they make the installs mandatory, then. Should be optional for hard drive space. Still an inconvenience
BOOM ;P

FyreWulff

Bink sucks yo.

Are you talking quality? Bink looks as good as the data rate you give it; you can make shitty looking h264 video too. It's up to the developer if it looks good or not. It's got low overhead processor and memory wise. You can practically just drop it in. And RAD gives stellar support.

Sobriquet

Why couldn't they just update the disc reader? I'm sure in 2013 we have drives that can read a HELL of a lot faster than the ones in '06.

Why not just force us to install what the devs feel are absolutely necessary and the heavily upgraded reader drive does the rest?

I...what?!

It's 3x faster. Still not fast enough, according to Cerny.

Top Bottom